electric clutch

bobmcconnell

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the procedure to replace electric clutch on a Scag turf runner model #STR-20CH?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Bob,
I was just looking at the manual for your machine, fairly complex and compact machine. The electric clutch appears to be mounted on the input shaft of the gearbox that drives the shaft that drives the Tee drive gearbox, and you probably know this. This gearbox may need to be removed vertically to gain clearance for clutch removal.
The clutch drive belt tension will need to released and the belt moved aside. There is a bolt that holds the clutch on the shaft that will need to be removed. The clutch electrical connector needs to be disconnected, there may be a clamp or two securing the clutch wiring. The clutch needs to have enough clearance to slide off the shaft, other equipment may be in the way. The clutch may not come off easily due to rust. When a new clutch is installed, it slides onto a guide of some sort which prevents the electrical portion of the clutch from turning, the clutch bolt will need to be tightened to a specific torque value.
I've only looked at one of these machines that was for sale and it was obvious to me that it had been poorly maintained, so I passed on it. It did intrigue me with its compact complexity, Scag only produced this model for a short time years back.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile: