Mower will not start unless I spray starter fluid

vlmabry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a HRX217 Honda, I just replaced the carburetor, changed the oil, new air filter and spark plug. The mower will not start unless I spray starter fluid. It wouldn't start at all, now after all the above it will start but only with starter fluid, then it runs until it is killed and will not start again unless I use starter fluid. I have read that it may be the automatic chock, how would I change that? The mower is about 4 years old, I have only had it two years, the first two years a lady had it and never used it, but let gas in it for two years. I took it to a shop and they got it running for about a 2 years. Now all this trouble for me.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a HRX217 Honda, I just replaced the carburetor, changed the oil, new air filter and spark plug. The mower will not start unless I spray starter fluid. It wouldn't start at all, now after all the above it will start but only with starter fluid, then it runs until it is killed and will not start again unless I use starter fluid. I have read that it may be the automatic chock, how would I change that? The mower is about 4 years old, I have only had it two years, the first two years a lady had it and never used it, but let gas in it for two years. I took it to a shop and they got it running for about a 2 years. Now all this trouble for me.

Let's start with the serial number, so I can tell which exact model you have; look on the back of the mower deck:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
MAGA 1415741

Okay, that's an early production HRX217VKA...

First up, Honda issued a Service Bulletin back in 2008 for hard starting problems with a limited number of these mowers. Your serial number is in the affected range that might have a problem with hard starting. The fix is a redesigned/updated carburetor, which has an updated choke design. This problem may happen more often with fuel that is several weeks older and / or when trying to use the mower in cooler weather. Now I can't say for 100% sure this is your problem, but it would be a good place to start.

So, in your original post, you said you replaced the carburetor. Do you have the part number or package it came in? Did you get it from a Honda dealer?

The only correct carburetor for this model is Honda Part Number 16100-Z0Y-871. No other part number should be used. This carburetor is about $50 list price.

You can visually check to see by looking at the bottom of the carburetor. The correct one will only have single center bolt. Older, original carburetors will have 2 bolts, one center and one drain bolt on the side:

drain_zpsd31b8e25.jpg

The Service Bulletin advises to apply some HondaBond HT silicone to the autochoke heatsink when installing the new carburetor to ensure proper heat transfer and operation. When you replaced the carburetor, did you apply any type of silicone to the heatsink? How old is the fuel in the tank? Did you drain it all out and fill with fresh fuel? Are you 100% sure you got all the gaskets, insulators and parts installed correctly when you installed the new carb?

If you'll drop me a private message with your email, I can send you a copy of the bulletin as an FYI.

Finally, if you do have the correct carb installed, and you do have a good physical connection to the heatsink, it is likely there is another problem not related to the Service Bulletin, but let's figure that part out first.

vlmabry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, that's an early production HRX217VKA...

First up, Honda issued a Service Bulletin back in 2008 for hard starting problems with a limited number of these mowers. Your serial number is in the affected range that might have a problem with hard starting. The fix is a redesigned/updated carburetor, which has an updated choke design. This problem may happen more often with fuel that is several weeks older and / or when trying to use the mower in cooler weather. Now I can't say for 100% sure this is your problem, but it would be a good place to start.

So, in your original post, you said you replaced the carburetor. Do you have the part number or package it came in? Did you get it from a Honda dealer?

The only correct carburetor for this model is Honda Part Number 16100-Z0Y-871. No other part number should be used. This carburetor is about $50 list price.

You can visually check to see by looking at the bottom of the carburetor. The correct one will only have single center bolt. Older, original carburetors will have 2 bolts, one center and one drain bolt on the side:

drain_zpsd31b8e25.jpg

The Service Bulletin advises to apply some HondaBond HT silicone to the autochoke heatsink when installing the new carburetor to ensure proper heat transfer and operation. When you replaced the carburetor, did you apply any type of silicone to the heatsink? How old is the fuel in the tank? Did you drain it all out and fill with fresh fuel? Are you 100% sure you got all the gaskets, insulators and parts installed correctly when you installed the new carb?

If you'll drop me a private message with your email, I can send you a copy of the bulletin as an FYI.

Finally, if you do have the correct carb installed, and you do have a good physical connection to the heatsink, it is likely there is another problem not related to the Service Bulletin, but let's figure that part out first.

Robert thanks for your information, I found it very helpful. Yes, I do have the correct carburetor. I didn't apply silicone to the heatsink, not exactly sure how to do this. Please forward me the service bulletin at vmabry@sbcglobal.net. I have double and triple checked the all the gaskets and insulators to be sure they are installed correctly. My gas is fresh.