Got 2 used HRX mowers over weekend. 1 makes my garage smell like a gas station...

magbarn

Threads
  • / Got 2 used HRX mowers over weekend. 1 makes my garage smell like a gas station...
Found a barely used HRX217HYA and then a much older HRX217HXA with a serial MAGA 1036341. The reason I bring up the older one is that while both mower both start and cut great, the HXA smells like it's leaking gas. I've inspected the carb and the gas tank and there's no obvious leaks. The sniff test has me smelling gas near the carb and also near the gas tank. The HYA model has barely any gas odor in either area. How do I fix this issue other than leaving the mower outside which would shorten it's lifespan? (I'm considering ordering the newer style gas tank - maybe that'll fix the problem?)

redmondjp

Threads
  • / Got 2 used HRX mowers over weekend. 1 makes my garage smell like a gas station...
Do your mowers have fuel shutoff valves on them?

I'm wondering if you have a leaky needle valve and the gas is slowly leaking into the carb/intake and then vaporizing.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found a barely used HRX217HYA and then a much older HRX217HXA with a serial MAGA 1036341. The reason I bring up the older one is that while both mower both start and cut great, the HXA smells like it's leaking gas. I've inspected the carb and the gas tank and there's no obvious leaks. The sniff test has me smelling gas near the carb and also near the gas tank. The HYA model has barely any gas odor in either area. How do I fix this issue other than leaving the mower outside which would shorten it's lifespan? (I'm considering ordering the newer style gas tank - maybe that'll fix the problem?)

The fuel tank on the HRX has a tube from the bottom of the tank to a fuel valve and then into the carburetor. Inspect the tubes closely, should be clamps on each end, if not, get them installed. Check for any wet fuel around the bottom of the carburetor, could be a leaking gasket/drain bolt on the bowl. Fuel leaks are dangerous. Do not let the mower sit in a garage or indoors. Keep it away from any heat sources, sparks or flame.

The older HRX (serial number MAGA-1036341) was part of a group of mowers subject to a Safety Recall back in December 2007. The blade brake clutch (Roto-Stop) spring may break, allowing the blades to continue rotating even when the blade clutch (yellow button/black lever) is released. Honda records indicate this specific mower has NOT been repaired for this problem, and should NOT BE USED until repairs are completed by an authorized Honda dealer. This is done at no charge to you, just arrange to drop it off and the dealer will make the needed repairs to replace the spring and get the repairs documented in Honda's system.

Use this link to find a dealer in your area. Again, DO NOT USE the mower until it has been repaired.

Find A Honda Dealer

magbarn

Threads
Whew! Good thing I got 2 of them! Wow thanks Robert, you're a great asset to Honda, I'll go and check the fuel lines and won't run it until the recall is done at a dealer. Luckily I have one just a mile away.