Help With Honda GCV160 Crankshaft

firedawgsatx

Threads
I just acquired through a barter a Honda GCV160 GJAE type A1A engine. The output end of the crankshaft does not have any type of keyway slot. Is anyone familiar with this type of engine and what application it is used for since it has no keyway slot for a mower blade adapter? I have attached a couple of photos. The one photo shows the shaft. It is totally smooth all the way around. Thanks!

Attachments

• HondaGCV160I.jpg
    HondaGCV160I.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 30
  • HondaGCV160III.jpg
    HondaGCV160III.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
fired, Is that a keyway I see under the sleeve? What was the engine used for? Can't really see but maybe the sleeve is removable.

firedawgsatx

Threads
fired, Is that a keyway I see under the sleeve? What was the engine used for? Can't really see but maybe the sleeve is removable.

Yes, that does appear to be a keyway under the "sleeve". I was thinking that it looks like there is a sleeve over the shaft but since I had never seen that before I am hesitant to try and remove it and possibly causing damage to it. The person I got the engine from wasn't able to tell me what the engine was used for as he had acquired it through an estate sale.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, winging it from pics is risky and I have said dumb things before doing this... First I would try to measure the shaft best as possible to see if it will be usable. Maybe a caliper "beak" would get you close. If usable look at the sleeve lip engineside to see if you can get a good puller onto it. I have had to modify puller teeth sometimes. If yes try to pull off, cold. If no, try MODERATE heat on the collar only (best to monitor heat with a gun or temp sensor, or even a temp crayon . start 150F up to 250F). You may have to develop a puller adapter. Like a thick (.100"+) washer or plate with a U cutout to nestle behind the sleeve and allow a puller. Others will respond. A slide hammer could do damage.

firedawgsatx

Threads
Motoman,

Thanks for the great tips. I will do the things you suggest and will report back.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is what Honda calls an "OEM engine" that Honda mfg. and supplied to a lawn mower manufacturer. The sleeve may be part of a pulley or drive system supplied by the mower manufacturer, can't say for sure. Based on the serial number, it's at least 7+ years old, and has a 7/8" crankshaft tip. Most likely had remote throttle and choke controls of some kind (again, supplied by the mower manufacturer).

Otherwise, it's a 160cc all-aluminum engine (no cast iron sleeve) rated at about 4.5 hp. Cast, manufactured and assembled at the Honda Plant in Swepsonville, NC.

The serial number can get you any parts from any Honda dealer. Use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

firedawgsatx

Threads
This is what Honda calls an "OEM engine" that Honda mfg. and supplied to a lawn mower manufacturer. The sleeve may be part of a pulley or drive system supplied by the mower manufacturer, can't say for sure. Based on the number, it's at least 7+ years old, and has a 7/8" crankshaft tip. Most likely had remote throttle and choke controls of some kind (again, supplied by the mower manufacturer).

Otherwise, it's a 160cc all-aluminum engine (no cast iron sleeve) rated at about 4.5 hp. Cast, manufactured and assembled at the Honda Plant in Swepsonville, NC.

Robert,

Thanks for the great information. It is extremely helpful to me. The good news is that I was able to remove the sleeve from the crankshaft. I used two flat blade screwdrivers to carefully work it off. Apparently it was put on the shaft at some time as a protective measure. The crankshaft appears to be in serviceable condition and has one long keyway on one side and two smaller keyways on the opposite side. I purchased this engine as a backup for my three mowers which all have Honda GCV160s (two have the automatic choke system). My Honda HRT216 mower has the choke/throttle cable so that is probably the mower it will eventually be going on as it is the oldest. Hopefully it will use the same bolt that attaches the blade to the shaft. I truly appreciate the help and advice from those that responded.