I just want to mow my yard bros. :(

mycoolhamm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well i went to mow my yard for the 1st time this year and the damn thing wont start. So heres everything i know to tell you for some possible insight into my problem.
This mower was given to me last year by customer of mine. Troy Bilt 6.75 hp selp propelled no choke/prime. he said he only used it a couple of times.
When i got it, it started fine. Then one time i was mowing and it started smoking really bad. Im pretty sure he had the oil too high and it spilled oil through the air filter. It still ran but smoked a bit. Im not sure if that is related to the current problem. When i tried to start it today it would just run for about 3-4 seconds and then cut off. I notice that i could keep it running if i kinda bounce the mower up and down/shaking it. I took the big orange plastic cover off the motor and there is a little arm that moves independently. it attaches right above carb and then goes in a hole. i notice if i grabbed this little arm and moved it back and forth that i could at least keep it running. I think its most likely a carb issue. do you mower pros agree.

mycoolhamm

Forum Newbie
Threads
oh and by the way. i havent added fresh fuel. so that could be a possibility too i guess.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it was stored with the gas in it -- the first thing I would try is empty the gas tank and put in new gas.
Check the oil level and use some carb cleaner in the carb before starting.

May not be the problem, but will be easiest to try -- most mower engines don't like too much oil in them.

mycoolhamm

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it was stored with the gas in it -- the first thing I would try is empty the gas tank and put in new gas.
Check the oil level and use some carb cleaner in the carb before starting.

May not be the problem, but will be easiest to try -- most mower engines don't like too much oil in them.

I watched a youtube video. By cleaning the carb do you mean pulling off that little metal cup and cleaning that?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I watched a youtube video. By cleaning the carb do you mean pulling off that little metal cup and cleaning that?

That MAY be necessary, but I'd try just spraying in some carb cleaner first. It may take a few more pulls to get it started.

I'm not familiar with that engine and carb so I don't know exactly what would be needed. I wouldn't take anything apart unless it becomes necessary. If you haven't taken carbs apart -- it isn't the best place to start.