Elecronic Ignition Availability?

Steve Johnson

Threads
Bought a cheap, NOS 1968 mower, with B&S Model 92502 engine, never had gas or oil in it yet. Can anyone tell me ,if available, the correct replacement electronic ignition module to replace the points, etc.? I assume it has points. Thanks for any help. Steve.

P.S.- looking for a side discharge grasscatcher for this 1968 Sentry Hardware(rebranded MTD)mower, hopefully some kind of generic or universal fit one. I have an ad in our Wanted section.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seeing it would have a new set of points and condenser in it you should have many years of use from them. They used the points for years and they worked just fine. Yes they do make a electronic ignition kit. Why not keep the points till you need to replace them then install the electronic kit. Very good chance the points will last for the life of the mower. I was very surprised how hard to find a set of points and condenser for a B&S local the last time I needed them. I had to order them from E-Bay.

Steve Johnson

Threads
I will replace with E ignition if available. Anyone?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What you need is a B&S Magnetron. You can get them off E-Bay. You RTV them onto the side of the coil..

Steve Johnson

Threads
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if there are different models? Steve.

Steve Johnson

Threads
Mike, thanks for the links.

Do I need to change out the coil to the one you linked to, when replacing the points ignition?

Steve Johnson

Threads
Mike, thanks for the schooling. My frame of reference are my old vehicles, wherein the coil remained, while installing a Pertronix module to replace points.When I looked up a Magnetron electronic ignition on eBay, a module did come up. I take it these are replacements for the newer engines, not my old one. Again, thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the 1980s, they came up with the conversion kit, but now, just get a good used coil off of a newer model, or just buy the #793281, cut the wire to the points off of the old one, slap on the new one, and you are done. All you need to do is wire the
kill switch, if it has one.