Export thread

Elecronic Ignition Availability?

S

Steve Johnson

Bought a cheap, NOS 1968 mower, with B&S Model 92502 engine, never had gas or oil in it yet. Can anyone tell me ,if available, the correct replacement electronic ignition module to replace the points, etc.? I assume it has points. Thanks for any help. Steve.

P.S.- looking for a side discharge grasscatcher for this 1968 Sentry Hardware(rebranded MTD)mower, hopefully some kind of generic or universal fit one. I have an ad in our Wanted section.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Seeing it would have a new set of points and condenser in it you should have many years of use from them. They used the points for years and they worked just fine. Yes they do make a electronic ignition kit. Why not keep the points till you need to replace them then install the electronic kit. Very good chance the points will last for the life of the mower. I was very surprised how hard to find a set of points and condenser for a B&S local the last time I needed them. I had to order them from E-Bay.

S

Steve Johnson

I will replace with E ignition if available. Anyone?

reynoldston

reynoldston

What you need is a B&S Magnetron. You can get them off E-Bay. You RTV them onto the side of the coil..

S

Steve Johnson

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if there are different models? Steve.

S

Steve Johnson

Mike, thanks for the links.

Do I need to change out the coil to the one you linked to, when replacing the points ignition?

M

Mikel1

Read this Hi, I have a 3 hp briggs and stratton mower with no spark. - JustAnswer
Then look at the #793281, both links(previous) are replacements for that electronic ignition kit.

S

Steve Johnson

Mike, thanks for the schooling. My frame of reference are my old vehicles, wherein the coil remained, while installing a Pertronix module to replace points.When I looked up a Magnetron electronic ignition on eBay, a module did come up. I take it these are replacements for the newer engines, not my old one. Again, thanks.

Fish

Fish

In the 1980s, they came up with the conversion kit, but now, just get a good used coil off of a newer model, or just buy the #793281, cut the wire to the points off of the old one, slap on the new one, and you are done. All you need to do is wire the
kill switch, if it has one.

R

Rivets

Briggs and Stratton magnetron conversion kit is part number 394970. Cost is about $25.00. Cheaper than a new coil.

M

motoman

Is the conversion a true magneto, or an electronic kit triggered by conventional points? Please say more about attaching with RTV.

R

Rivets

The conversion kit eliminates the points and condenser from the system. You attach the triggering mechanism to you existing coil. I just cut the wires going to the points and condenser as close to the block as I can, so they don't get caught in anything. No need to take off the flywheel and remove them. Page 6, Sec. 2 of this manual talks about the replaceable module, although I have never had to replace one after it has been installed.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/01_270962SingleCylinderLHead.pdf

M

motoman

Sounds like a good conversion.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Is the conversion a true magneto, or an electronic kit triggered by conventional points? Please say more about attaching with RTV.

The magnetron I installed it fit on one of the coil legs and glued in place with RTV.

S

Steve Johnson

I ended up buying an NOS,USA-made coil/ armature from a seller on the Bay, should be here by Tuesday. About 34 dollars, shipped.

Fish

Fish

Yes, much easier... If it is the newer style?

S

Steve Johnson

Yes, much easier... If it is the newer style?

I bought the 793281, which Mikel1 recommended, to replace my coil. No need for the separate module, since my engine is from 1968.

Fish

Fish

Yeah, almost any shop would have a pile of good coils from all of those pushmowers that got a bent shaft, they would part with those coils for 5$ or so.

S

Steve Johnson

I am partial to putting on new parts. Its a 46 year old NOS mower, no sense in putting an old part on it, 34 bucks is cheap, to me.

S

Steve Johnson

Thank you for the help, guys.

New coil came today, installed it and mower is running great. A 46 year old new mower, hope it lasts me 20 years!

Fish

Fish

In the 1980s, they came up with the conversion kit, but now, just get a good used coil off of a newer model, or just buy the #793281, cut the wire to the points off of the old one, slap on the new one, and you are done. All you need to do is wire the
kill switch, if it has one.

Yeah, since I work on the stuff for a living< I always put on the new electronic coil. I am glad it worked, these chumps would have me for breakfast if it didn't.....

M

Mikel1

Thank you for the help, guys.

New coil came today, installed it and mower is running great. A 46 year old new mower, hope it lasts me 20 years!
Sounds good:thumbsup: