Walk behind Need help with recoil assembly.

grasssmoker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda Harmony HRM215. The string broke so I removed the recoil starter and repaired the string but I think the spring came detached. I can't take it apart because instead of a bolt there is some type of non threaded locking hollow bolt that is split and flared on one end. Can someone please tell me how to get this taken apart. My grass really needs to be cut.
20140416_130240.jpg

Mike88se

Threads
I have a Honda Harmony HRM215. The string broke so I removed the recoil starter and repaired the string but I think the spring came detached. I can't take it apart because instead of a bolt there is some type of non threaded locking hollow bolt that is split and flared on one end. Can someone please tell me how to get this taken apart. My grass really needs to be cut.
View attachment 20187

I don't mean this to sound like an insult but are you sure you wound the recoil up properly before you reattached the cord and let it wind the cord back up slowly?

Mike88se

Threads
Hmmm... I put a new pull cord on my Exmark w/ GXV today and the recoil looks just like the one in your pic. I guess if you got a good design stick with it ;)

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
View attachment 20187

The reel cover and reel are held on by a compressed pin that is pressed into place. You need a 5.5mm pilot bar (special tool) to drive it out from the top of the starter, but that's not necessary just to replace the rope alone. You only have to tear it down if something internally has failed or broken. See attached .PDF file for details from the shop manual...

Hey, 800 posts!

Attachments

• hrb recoil k1-k4.pdf
    797 KB · Views: 37