How did you get your first mower?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get mine from Home Depot now or the local tractor store now. It is amazing how much we learn about mowers as we get older. I still have the old one as a keep sake does that make me a hoarder? lol

Compared to me, NO. I have every mower I ever owned except for two, the Monkey Wards I got as my first one and my '83 vintage Craftsman I just got rid of three years ago.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
a FOOTBALL??
and how did that become your first mower? ??:smile:KennyV

Glad you asked:rolleyes:
The guy with the football was part of a promotion. The promotion was as follows: Throw the football through the hole and you get up to 20% off of ANYTHING IN THE STORE. So, since there was no risk I said sure, l'ill try it.
The hole was about 10-12 inches in diameter cut through a sheet of plywood. If you stood 1 parking spaces away you got 10% off 3 15% and 4... well you get it. I tried the 4 and to my surprise the ball went thruogh the hole without a sound.
So I spent about 2000$ in there that day and I still don't remember what I went in there for, so I'm sure there is a screw missing somewhere.
I bought a webber grill, a lawn mower, a washing machine and probably some other stuff it was a long time ago....

Don't want to get off track but, since I bought that Weber grill I won't consider another brand. Far and away the best grill I have ever used. It's obvious the engineering is first rate. We do a lot of grilling here in Florida.
You really could bake a cake on this grill.

Last edited:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for providing that info, I was curious. The local HD opened here about 1996 and they were basically the only home center big box store after Builders Square closed about a year later...we currently have two Lowes. two HD's, and two Menards in this area.

mois25

Threads
It seems most of us capitalized on our folks getting new mowers. I as well tend to be the kind of shopper that does not like spending so much time in the stores. If I ever buy one I doubt if I will have room to compare brands.

EverGreen

Threads
I searched the internet for sales and when Sears had a sale, I purchased it online and picked it up at the store. I've had it for a while now. I got it when I had a much smaller yard, it's a push mower, and I need something that will make my life a bit easier.

Kingwood990

Threads
I got my first mower from a guy that worked with my mother at work. It was a well used Craftsman LT-1000. This mower led to me collecting bigger and better machines.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
BGC;14458 ...I still have the old one as a keep sake does that make me a hoarder? lol[/QUOTE said:
There are much less interesting things to hoard than mowers...
So if you do collect mowers that would be GREAT... :smile:KennyV

Stevie-Ray

Threads
My first was given to me by my dad after he got his first rear-bagger. His new one was a Wards 3.5hp job and the handed down one was also a Wards, but 2.75hp. What the hey, it worked for quite a while. He then got a self-propelled Craftsman and sold me his Wards rear-bagger for 35 bucks.:laughing: I had that damn thing for a lot of years and it was still running when I bought my MTD, the mower I'm using today. Been married for over 35 years and now have only my third mower and the only one I bought new.:laughing: I've spent a total of $235 buying lawnmowers in my lifetime and I'm retired.:tongue:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My first was given to me by my dad after he got his first rear-bagger. His new one was a Wards 3.5hp job and the handed down one was also a Wards, but 2.75hp. What the hey, it worked for quite a while. He then got a self-propelled Craftsman and sold me his Wards rear-bagger for 35 bucks.:laughing: I had that damn thing for a lot of years and it was still running when I bought my MTD, the mower I'm using today. Been married for over 35 years and now have only my third mower and the only one I bought new.:laughing: I've spent a total of $235 buying lawnmowers in my lifetime and I'm retired.:tongue:

People like you are the reason some companies go bankrupt and close...nobody is buying their products !!! :laughing: :laughing: I am jealous...in the past nine years I have spent close to 26 grand for mowers and parts and maintenance...:eek:

dgl24087

Threads
People like you are the reason some companies go bankrupt and close...nobody is buying their products !!! :laughing: :laughing: I am jealous...in the past nine years I have spent close to 26 grand for mowers and parts and maintenance...:eek:

Let's see, I've bought my home in 1988, and last fall bought my third lawn mower. The first was a Murray 21" push mower bought from Rose's Dept. Store. It was a customer return, paid $79 for it. It lasted about 7 years, so I replaced it with a 22 inch Murray push mower from Walmart, paid $119 for it. It's still running, but last year I decided I needed a self propelled mower. I stumbled upon a Honda HRM 21 on Craigslist, paid $150 for it and feel like I stole it.