Neighbors taking tools

BGC

Threads
My neighbor has been taking my tools and I had to get a camera system to catch him. We are all friends and our wives are really close so I don't want to have him arrested. I would like to know what you would do?

mois25

Threads
How does he manage to even get hold of your tools in the first place? Does he opt to sneak in when no one is watching.

At times people have to disagree to agree and I see the need to tell him to his face that you do not fancy his behavior.

monica123

Threads
That's crazy! If he is a friend, why don't you confront him, tell him you got it caught on tape and ask him for an explanation. Is he keeping them or selling them?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My neighbor has been taking my tools and I had to get a camera system to catch him. We are all friends and our wives are really close so I don't want to have him arrested. I would like to know what you would do?

CONFRONT HIM, PERIOD. I am on great terms with my neighbors but NONE of them borrow anything unless they ask first.

173abn

Threads
take him aside and show him the tape. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm with russ... "take him aside and show him the tape."

Your neighbor is being unreasonable... trying to embarrass him publicly will not necessarily help, (your still going to be neighbors)... This approach leaves you being very reasonable, and then if things don't improve you can proceed to other steps... :smile:KennyV

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
What a sticky situation. I personally would put the tools somewhere that they can't get them unless they ask. This is why I don't like being friends with neighbors in all honestly. It usually ends up causing problems.

BGC

Threads
Thanks, everyone for your advice. I asked him to come over for coffee tomorrow. He watches our home for us when we go on vacation and has helped me work on things that is how he knows where the tools are. I will be moving things and asking him for all of them back. I am sure he isn't selling them and think he probably plans on returning them when he takes them.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, everyone for your advice. I asked him to come over for coffee tomorrow. He watches our home for us when we go on vacation and has helped me work on things that is how he knows where the tools are. I will be moving things and asking him for all of them back. I am sure he isn't selling them and think he probably plans on returning them when he takes them.

Sounds like a good way to deal with the situation...but I am curious, if he knows how to work on things why the heck doesn't he have his own tools? I have NEVER felt comfortable using others people's tools myself, once you use your own long enough anything else feels strange to me. I may be an exception but I have more tools than that Bob Vila guy not only general woodworking and carpenters tools but also enough automotive repair tools to start a fair size shop...I may be an exception here though most people don't collect them to the extent I do.