Honda Smart Drive vs Toro Personal Pace....also 160cc vs 190cc

homestuff

Threads
  • / Honda Smart Drive vs Toro Personal Pace....also 160cc vs 190cc
Ok....been all over the place looking for a new mower. Consumer reports (and online reviews) seem to point to the the Hondas or the Toro Recycler/Super Recycler as THE mowers to buy (my top priority is reliability and mulching ability).

My issue is a I don't love the drive control on either.

Smart drive - thumbs get sore? run over a bump accidentally accelerate the mower or slow it down?

Personal Pace - have to push down to go faster or let up to go slower? Is that a good design?

Just wondering if you guys have any thoughts for me, especially if you've had an opportunity to use both. I've always had mowers that have one speed: "go".

---

The other question is...do I need 190ccs of power or is 160cc sufficient?

Threads
With the Honda it is more comfortable to use the palms of your hands...not your thumbs. I am not thrilled with the Smart Drive or Personal Pace either, I like my Honda HRX217HYA that has different set speeds, but lot of them.

And I like the GCV190 engine (190cc) on my Honda a lot, but if you don't cut thick or tall grass you might not need it.

afoulk

Threads
I have no experience with either one, but i've been told that they both are the kind of drive systems you have to try to see if you will like it or not. I would contact your local dealers to see if they will let you demo them. everyone that has used them usually seems split down the middle, half like them, half dont.

homestuff

Threads
Thanks guys, I have looked at both in person. I'm not thrilled with either. I'm just not really able to find something else to consider, other than craftsman mowers which tend to get back reviews.

My priorities
* Longevity
* Excellent mulching (do not want to bag)
* 190cc preferred, though I guess I could do 160cc
* Features (blade stop, etc)

What else should I look at?

afoulk

Threads
Have you considered a snapper ninja? snappers usually get pretty good mulching reviews, and although I havn't tried mulching with mine yet, I think it gives a much nicer cut than my silver series lawn boy. Have you considered buying something used? that would be a great way to get a honda with the hydrostatic drive for the same money or less than what your looking to spend on the two mowers you've been looking at.

afoulk

Threads
or an older toro with the indestructible 3spd self propel

Threads
Thanks guys, I have looked at both in person. I'm not thrilled with either. I'm just not really able to find something else to consider, other than craftsman mowers which tend to get back reviews.

My priorities
* Longevity
* Excellent mulching (do not want to bag)
* 190cc preferred, though I guess I could do 160cc
* Features (blade stop, etc)

What else should I look at?

Since you were looking at Honda why don't you jump up a level and look at the HRX217HYA. It has the 190cc engine, is great at mulching, is fast, and has the blade stop.

Honda Lawn Mowers: HRX217HYA, HRX217K4HYA

homestuff

Threads
I hadn't looked into a snapper. I will take a look.

Honda should make a simpler version (e.g. less features) of the HRX but keep the 190cc motor in it, would be a lot easier to make a decision.

homestuff

Threads
The HRX217 is definitely a contender. The two issues with it are: 1) I'm not loving the price for a residential mower, and 2) I'm still a little bit wary of the "smart drive" things based on the reviews of people saying it's a pain to push that level down with your thumbs for an hour or 2 while you mow.

Threads
The HRX217 is definitely a contender. The two issues with it are: 1) I'm not loving the price for a residential mower, and 2) I'm still a little bit wary of the "smart drive" things based on the reviews of people saying it's a pain to push that level down with your thumbs for an hour or 2 while you mow.

But the HRX is very durable! Technically it's classified as a premium residential mower. And yeah you either like or don't like the Smart Drive, but the HYA doesn't have that....:thumbsup: