Buying Advice HRX217HYA discontinued at HD

Thelorax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone know if the HRX217HYA model is being discontinued at homedepot? I'm only finding HRX models with the smart drive. I'm curious how a HRX217VLA might compare. It has electric start but smart drive. I have arthritis and curious what the smart drive is like on hands and fingers. I currently have a personal pace toro so kinda use to the idea but not sure how Honda's feel. Can someone also tell me accurately which is faster. I see mixed stats saying 0-3.6 to 0-4 mph. Is one faster than the other? I have a fairly small yard 3/4 acre but lots of slopes/hills.

One HD has 3 HRX217HYA left and curious if I should go grab one or if these are only the 2012 models that will be replaced.

Rouillier

Threads
Does anyone know if the HRX217HYA model is being discontinued at homedepot? I'm only finding HRX models with the smart drive. I'm curious how a HRX217VLA might compare. It has electric start but smart drive. I have arthritis and curious what the smart drive is like on hands and fingers. I currently have a personal pace toro so kinda use to the idea but not sure how Honda's feel. Can someone also tell me accurately which is faster. I see mixed stats saying 0-3.6 to 0-4 mph. Is one faster than the other? I have a fairly small yard 3/4 acre but lots of slopes/hills.

One HD has 3 HRX217HYA left and curious if I should go grab one or if these are only the 2012 models that will be replaced.

I just bought a HRX217HYA yesterday at HD for $599 which is $140 lower than their regular price which I think is a very good deal. I have researched and I do not believe there are ant differences between the 2012 and 2013 models. The clerk in the store said they were discontinuing it in the store. He hated to see it go because it was a good seller. He said the blade brake was an attractive feature. I am replacing a 13+ year old Honda which I have loved! I think you may still be able to buy them in the future from HD online and have them shipped to the store for free shipping? You won't get the full $140 discount if you buy it online. Obviously, I would buy the one in the store now while you have the chance and get the great price! I did! :)

Threads

:welcome: to LMF! :smile:
I have to agree with Rouillier. Also, I don't believe there is a difference between the 2012 and 2013 HRX's. But there is a different in the HRR's (the 2013's have a Clip Director). I would personally get an HRX217HYA while it is still there. It is my favorite mower....way better than my 6 year old HRR216TDA. :thumbsup: The HRX217VLA is new this year. I have never used the Smart Drive. Talking about speed, I love how fast my HRX217HYA can go. I keep it on the fastest speed most of the time and it still cuts great! On the Honda website it says the VLA can go from 0-3.6 mph, and the HYA can go from 0-4.0. I don't think you will be able to notice much of a difference, though.
So to sum it up, I would try to grab an HYA while it's still there, but I'm sure you would like the VLA.
Good luck, ask if you have any questions, and let us know what you decide! :smile:

HRX217VLA.jpgHRX217VLA: Honda Lawn Mowers: HRX217VLA, HRX217K4VLA

HRX217HYA.jpgHRX217HYA: Honda Lawn Mowers: HRX217HYA, HRX217K4HYA

Honda HRX217HYA.jpg

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Honda HRX217HYA is not discontinued from Honda. But, some Home Depot store may not stock it, just depends on the particular store. You can always special order one from Home Depot, or try a local Honda dealer, who may have one in stock at a competitive price. You can find a Honda dealer in your area with this link:

Honda Dealer Locator

For the record, the current HRX line up as of January 1st can be found here:

Honda HRX Lineup for 2013
attachment.php

Attachments

• hrx lineup screen grab.jpg
    hrx lineup screen grab.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 167

Thelorax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Curious what HD (city) you got your mower? I'm in Austin and they are still 699.

Rouillier

Threads
Curious what HD (city) you got your mower? I'm in Austin and they are still 699.

I am in Baton Rouge. Geaux Tigers! My wife and I looked at them on Sunday afternoon and we both thought the tag said $699 but when I stopped by on the way to work on Monday morning it said $599. I had them put one on the side for me until I. Could come back at lunch! At $599 I could not let it pass me buy!:smile:

Thelorax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you really have to put the Tiger comment in? :) Well we seem to agree on the same mowers and I bet we both hate Alabama!

I'm gonna keep watching their inventory online, hopefully it will drop soon. The sales guy that told me they weren't being reordered told me if I waited it would get clearanced. I hate gambling though.

Rouillier

Threads
At least AM joined the best conference in the country! You are right we can agree on disliking Alabama! Actually I teach Marketing at LSU!

I asked for a copy of the clearance tag to prove it to my wife. The they did not have any boxed just two floor models. Never used since the engine oil is still bagged with the manual and the tank has never had gas in it. I went to one other HD and they did not have any left that were still boxed but they were out!

Rouillier

Threads
At least AM joined the best conference in the country! You are right we can agree on disliking Alabama! Actually I teach Marketing at LSU!

I asked for a copy of the clearance tag to prove it to my wife. The they did not have any boxed just two floor models. Never used since the engine oil is still bagged with the manual and the tank has never had gas in it. I went to one other HD and they did not have any left that were still boxed but they were out!

FYI - I stopped by the Baton Rouge Coursey Blvd. Home Depot and there is still one left at $599!