The camshaft appears to be in good shape, compression release spring works. I did notice that the gear on the crank that drives the camshaft is slipping. The small notch in the back of that gear that holds it in place is flared out allowing it to slip..
Well no luck with the new flywheel key. At this point I'm just going to remove the sump cover and check out the camshaft. Hopefully the lobe has spun and I can finally get this engine going, I've checked everything off the list at this point but the camshaft
I do have at least 1mm of play between the key and the flywheel. I'm going to get a new key and hopefully it will get rid of the slop. Thank you guys for advising me to pull the flywheel even though it " looked" good to me before removing. I never would have found that play. I'll get the new...
Just pulled the flywheel. That was the easiest flywheel I ever removed. It did not pop loose, as I was tightening the puller I very soon noticed it was free, very strange.
Key looks good and solid. I put it back on and I can tell there is a very slight bit of play between the key and flywheel.
I first used a spark tester to verify good coil, also adjusted coil air gap. I also installed new plug gapped to .030 and visually confirmed spark.
I haven't put the fuel tank back on a I usually get motors to test fire on fluid. Just didn't want to drain and remove tank again if I needed to...
This is a push style weed- eater, trimmer. I didn't pull the flywheel because the notch and key looks to be in alignment. I have a puller and can get it off, but why would I pull it if it's still lined up??