Ya think he needs new blades

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you have an account with JD then they can get the A&I stuff, just at a higher cost. JD corp supposedly owes A&I.

Yes I doing the same on splitting orders; although, sometimes I can spend a few dollars more for a part and save on the shipping by combining an order. Right now my problem is what coming in needs parts from vendors that only sell that particular line. Honda engine parts is one of them as I got two Honda engines in the shop over the weekend. I needing several parts beside the ignition coil which Stens is only $4 less on so I save the extra shipping by just placing the whole order with my Honda part supplier.

Also depending on your yearly purchases you might look into Gardner and RBI for the OEM parts for the Husqvarna and MTD parts. Gardner also also has the Tuff Torq and Hydro Gear parts. It just you need a sales tax number and a business license. Now of both charges an extra 1.5% for credit card use.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. I will look into them. I have a business license and tax ID.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thanks. I will look into them. I have a business license and tax ID.
I thought so. If you can get in with they will help you to be more profitable and more competitive. Note: Gardner can provide you with price files if your system can import these files. They saves a lot time hand entering everything. You need to modify them if you are using a credit card to pay so the extra fee is taken into account.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I can also an idea what you can save one one item that I just brought three of. The Husqvarna OEM 587819701 just cost me $22.75 ea which most of the SHC charge of 11.99. Along the saving the HydroGear seal kit the SHC was more than paid for. Even Stens with my new discount can't beat that.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I needed a single spindle like that but i bougt a 3 pack. It was like buy 2 get one free vs buying 3 individual spindles.
I don't have a large on hand inventory and i just keep it in an open office spreadsheet. Mostly air, oil and fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel line, deck wheels and carb stuff.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I needed a single spindle like that but i bougt a 3 pack. It was like buy 2 get one free vs buying 3 individual spindles.
I don't have a large on hand inventory and i just keep it in an open office spreadsheet. Mostly air, oil and fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel line, deck wheels and carb stuff.
Then that where we are different on inventory. And I just got a small amount of what I need as I am always ordering parts. I was up $50K at one time on stock items. I have been reducing stock levels ever since got in with Gardner and RBI where the 1-2 day delivery is better than 1 week plus it use to be from some of the other suppliers.

1647376652690.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No blades ?
I see Stens do bulk packs in the US at a good discount over the single price.
Down here they only sell single
What I do miss is Oregon Gators which B & S is not going to import .
I probably sold 30 sets a year
Hopefully a local importer will start bringing them in direct .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
No blades ?
I see Stens do bulk packs in the US at a good discount over the single price.
Down here they only sell single
What I do miss is Oregon Gators which B & S is not going to import .
I probably sold 30 sets a year
Hopefully a local importer will start bringing them in direct .
I stock a few. The ubiquitous AYP/Craftsman and some i know fit some of the return customers mowers but there are so many different blades i order most as i need them. Stens is back to 1 to 2 day delivery so it works for me. In fact i ordered parts yesterday morning and they were here today.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hammer, that is one thing you must do and that is to use your best judgement on what you need to keep on hand; otherwords, don't go hog wild buying parts. Some items I keep in stock as they are needed for quick turn a rounds. If I did just product it would be a lot easier to know what to buy. But as a independent shop things are constantly changing.. I have seen blade sales drop some as places like Wal-mart and TSC started.carrying blades. It is nice however to a vendor or more that can deliver in an one to two day window

A&I was my main source for Briggs parts until they went bonkers on the shipping charges below $200. Even when I order over $200 I can see the write-offs of the shipping charge as they just go through roof on multiple shipped items. It appears that A&I only cares about the large orders to heck with us small shops that help build their business.

As small as I am I don't usually do spring stock up purchases as I just don't what will be coming in. I wish I could do larger purchases but it is just not a smart thing for me to wait a week or two as customers are expecting quick turn a rounds.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I needed a new set of blades I order 2 sets, one for the customer & one for stock
As there used to be a 100% mark up on blades it meant I got a set for stock at n actual out of pocket costs.
Thus the blades I have in stock are the ones I need and the common ones like Murray MTD JD & AYP 42" I carry 10 sets , built up over time.
When a supplier does a run out of old slow moving blades I also buy some of them .
This practice has gotten me a quite a few customers because they go to the dealer & get told NLA then come to me & I have them in stock
So for instance I have a lot of old pattern MTD blades I bought at $ 5 & sell at $ 30 to $ 50 as the customers can only get them from online merchants in the USA .
Even then I get caught now & then as over the past 3 years of drought they have been eating blades .
Same story with belts so I always have customers belts in stock otherwise I loose the sale and for pats only customers, the customer as well .
I put a dot on the sleeve or some times the customers name so I know I am fitting a belt I must replace if I am doing a new customers mower.
Blades are one of those add on items used to get free delivery on small orders .
I try to have everything I need on hand so I can turn over the mowers quickly then replace the parts used in a monthly order.
Doing it this way makes it difficult for the auditors as a single repair may have parts ordered from 4 different suppliers anything up to 2 months after the job was done .
Modern accounting practice is to keep minimum inventory & order in only when needed so it confuses the baby faced tax men no end.
OTOH I do not pay tax on my inventory only on the turn over .

Last edited: