Well - I'm Back!!

brchad

Threads
Actually we don't know the fan is spinning because he refuses to accept that a problem with the fan is possible...the most critical component of the cooling system has been taken for granted. :smile:

Darryl,

Looks like you've got me figured from the very beginning. Number 1 on my own treasured "Troubleshooting Rules" is "Never assume anything until it's been checked."

Of course.... that only works if one has actually opened the book, egh?

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be visually checking the fan today.... among other things.

(And I can think of LOTS of personal cases when plenty of time was wasted when I made a costly assumption! I am though, humble enough to admit it. I promise I'll tell you if that turns out to be the case here!) :thumbsup:

brchad

Threads
Br chad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Eunice, La.... Is in South Louisiana way far from North Louisiana... I am only 50 miles from the Gulf.....

Dawlin is an old Saying by Price LeBlanc auto sales in Baton Rouge La. That was his closing word in his commercials for his dealership.................

We are gonna boil crawfish for my B-Day next Saturday on the 7th... Big bugs down here now... Cheap too...

Check this out... A new song by a buddy of mine from down here... https://youtu.be/shVL7vRqyyw

So did you have nest in there ???

Well.... you've nailed it. My "Dawlin" gave me away. Baton Rouge.... born and raised .... "Right on the corner.... right on the price.... Dawlin'."

LOVE the video! Reminds me of so many great times at the farm in Catahoula! And wow.... does it ever make me homesick!!!

brchad

Threads
Re: Well - I'm Back!! (UPDATE!)

Well.... I've eliminated some of the potential problems:

1. The fan is definitely spinning.... LOTS of cool air being circulated. Shroud is in place and engine head fins are totally clean.

2. Removed the muffler just to see if it was major dirty or even clogged. Nothing out of the ordinary.

3. Decided that perhaps some particulate or buildup in the valves was possible.... so I added a good shot of Sea Foam in 1/2 gallon of gas ....

4. OKAY .... no laughing allowed here! I decided to run the Sea Foam/gas mixture without replacing the muffler guard installed. It started up perfectly... running smoothly with throttle in the "Rabbit" position.

As I was backing out of the garage to make a test run when in a flash.... the exhaust noise increased to about DOUBLE the decibels! I put it in neutral... locked.... walked around to the front and laying on the garage floor was the entire front half of the muffler! (Was it someone here who said that nobody ever replaces them?) Ha!

This thing is running so hot it melted the spark plug boot and some electrical tape I had used .... trying to secure it better. All of the paint is burnt off of the muffler guard.

Next steps: Order a muffler.... ugh!!! Check the flywheel key.... make sure it's secure. CHECK THE VALVES! Sheesh!

Question: The last 4 inches or so of the plug wire and boot is SHOT. The wire is permanently attached to the magneto. Is there some acceptable way to splice a new wire on or do I need to buy a new magneto and wire assembly?

Thanks in advance for the help guys! :mad:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually the wires are screwed into the mag and then the potting mix is poured in on the top.
It is a painfully slow process but you can dig the potting mix out wind the wire off, wind a new wire on then make up a new batch of resin to seal every thing back again.

OTOH you can cut & solder the HT lead as well or fit an in line supressor which is like a double ended cable joiner

brchad

Threads
Hmmmm..... looks like I found the culprit. I can't even to begin to imagine how this engine was running AT ALL!

DSCN4312.jpg

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's why the fan wasn't spinning and cooling the engine...told you so, lol. :wink:

brchad

Threads
That's why the fan wasn't spinning and cooling the engine...told you so, lol. :wink:

Oh.... the flywheel WAS spinning.... so the FAN (bolted to the flywheel) was spinning too!

What "blows" me away (pun intended) is that ANY of it was even turning.... much less running!

Flywheel, key and muffler on order....

I'll keep you posted.

brchad

Threads
Okay.... TOTALLY disgusted with this damn engine!

New (used, but good) muffler installed. New (unused) flywheel installed .... double checked the key alignment, etc. Torqued to 100 ft.lbs.

The engine turns over... a few times before it fires (or actually backfires through the carb) then stops. That's all I can get .... a backfire.

Turned the engine with no spark plug.... rotates freely... no noise, etc.

Checked the valves AGAIN .... and AGAIN .... (we all know how "picky" these B&S valves can be) .... no help.

Used a new spark plug... checked it while grounded against the head.... plenty of fire there.

The carb is brand new .... and using fresh gasoline.

I'm at my wits rear-end on this one!

Any keen ideas from anyone.... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

"Baton Rouge" Bill

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems you're still left with all of the same possibilities; ignition and valve timing out of sync or mixture too lean. Is it possible that your valve adjustment method is improper? I know you've done it multiple times, but what if you're doing it wrong?