Well - I'm Back!!

cruzenmike

Threads
https://weingartz.com/expert-advice/2017/08/lawn-mower-engine-overheating/

Check this article out. The section on low oil level got me to thinking... If the engine you have uses pressure lubrication, is it possible that your oil pump has failed? If oil is not getting to the top of the cylinders, the heads would get extremely hot resulting in your hot muffler and melting plug wires?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay.... you have me going on this one Darryl. If the engine is running.... and the plastic fan is bolted to the flywheel.... how could it not be turning? Am I missing something? (About the mower... I'm old enough to be missing some other things for sure!) :confused2:

I don't know the specifics of how your fan attaches, but the plastic degrades over time and can crack, flats can round out, the pin or key can shear etc. Same with any fan. Just because it's on there doesn't mean it's spinning or spinning at full speed. I just replaced the fan on my Turf Tracer...wanna know why?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly, to cool as designed the fan must be clean and securely fixed to the flywheel.

Secondly the engine must be clean to allow the cooling air to do its job.

Thirdly the engine must be running at full speed

Fourth all the covers ( including the ones underneath the engine ) must be in place

All that is correct then that is all you can do.

The engine cools best when set WOT thus allowing the governor to keep the speeds to 3000 / 3600 rpm ( depending upon the engine ).

New EPA compliant engine run a lot hotter and the exhaust usually will get to a dull red around the exhaust manifold which you do not see in the daylight.
Many of the newer ones have a catalytic converter or reburning plate in the muffler and that must get red hot to work .

Bad valve timing or ignition timing can make this worse.

Also over time the surface of the mufflers corrode / burn away thus the metal gets thinner and thinner metal get hotter cause there is not enough material to conduct the heat away.
So in the long run it might be nothing like a worn out muffler ( no one ever replaces them )

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well looks like most idea's have reached the table, we know it's got "good" oil ....
we know the cooling fins are clean....
we know the "fan" is spinning...
we know the valves are adjusted within range...
we know the air filter is clean...

we are running the engine at WOT ..??
have we tried to see if there's a drag on the "stack-pulley" ( crankshaft )
the carb is running too lean ?? check the color of the spark-plug ?? YOU did go to a carb with NO adjustment capability .. right size carb ..??
may have to check for a bent valve stem or scored cylinder...??

That's all I can think of unless the pixies are playing games ............ keep us posted !

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like Bert and I had pretty much the same idea's ...... he's faster on the "draw" ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually we don't know the fan is spinning because he refuses to accept that a problem with the fan is possible...the most critical component of the cooling system has been taken for granted. :smile:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Actually we don't know the fan is spinning because he refuses to accept that a problem with the fan is possible...the most critical component of the cooling system has been taken for granted. :smile:

I'll venture to say that Bill has checked that for sure, BUT then.. if he has a beer in one hand, and a sweetie on his other arm ...??? .. :banana:...:rolleyes:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know the specifics of how your fan attaches, but the plastic degrades over time and can crack, flats can round out, the pin or key can shear etc. Same with any fan. Just because it's on there doesn't mean it's spinning or spinning at full speed. I just replaced the fan on my Turf Tracer...wanna know why?

I'm a NOSEY sumbeech .... I wanna know !!

Threads
Br chad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Eunice, La.... Is in South Louisiana way far from North Louisiana... I am only 50 miles from the Gulf.....

Dawlin is an old Saying by Price LeBlanc auto sales in Baton Rouge La. That was his closing word in his commercials for his dealership.................

We are gonna boil crawfish for my B-Day next Saturday on the 7th... Big bugs down here now... Cheap too...

Check this out... A new song by a buddy of mine from down here... https://youtu.be/shVL7vRqyyw

So did you have nest in there ???