Export thread

Well - I'm Back!!

brchad

brchad

I wish I could say that it's a pleasure to be back.... but frankly, I was hoping I would never see you guys again! :laughing:

I know some of the "regulars" (for lack of a better word) here will remember me.... and my B&S 17.5 HP OHV engine problems! (See... I learned... OHV, not OHC.)

After all was said and done (plenty) .... my engine seemed to run fine. Now we hit the beginning of the mowing season and I'm having another stupid problem. (All of this so I can be rewarded with cutting grass.... something I've done for about 60+ years now!)

Okay... okay.... here's the latest.

The engine seems to run fine....sounds fine anyway. Here's what I'm noticing that seems different:

1. Running REALLY hot. I mean all of the paint is scorched on the muffler guard.... and late one evening, I saw that the exhaust manifold was GLOWING cherry red. I don't think it was ever that hot before. Do mufflers go bad somehow? It's so hot, it melted the rubber cover off of the spark plug connector.

2. Seems to be using MUCH more gas than it used to. (Remember, I just replaced the whole carb with the new Niki carburetor. (There's NO adjustment on this one... factory set.)

I still remember the great response (and, seriously, the quality troubleshooting help) that I had here last time. Thanks to all you guys! (And "P.C." disclaimer .... gals too, if there are any.)

Anyone have any similar experience.... or any ideas? As always.... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Bill

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Yep I remember you and that Crawfish or is it a Lobster ?

While you mower was sitting all winter a mouse or 2 homesteaded your engine under the air shroud....... Clean that out very well.

You will have to take the air shroud off tho ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

C

cruzenmike

If it isn't a cooling issue (shroud, fins, etc), then it will be an issue of excess heat production. The valve clearance and timing is essential for dissipating heat through exhaust. If the engine itself is getting hot it could be running way too rich. Possibly the spark plugs being the wrong temperature or the oil viscocity being incorrect. Not a mechanic, but just thinking of the heat itself and getting it out of the engine.

Boobala

Boobala

Hey there Bill,
Good to hear from ya,... ya scoundrel, SOooooooo got your boobie caught in the wringer AGAIN EHhhh ?? well we're here to help ya get it runnin right, as Bo ( not to be confused with Boo (ME) ) mentioned, remove the engine shroud, and clean those cooling fins till ya can eat off em ( LOL ) I use a product called "Purple-Power" bought at Walmart & auto parts stores I put it in a spray bottle and use it full strength on REALLY heavy dirt BUT you have to do sections at a time and rinse right away, this stuff is strong, and if left on for awhile, WILL eat off paint !! a good STIFF auto parts cleaning brush and some small screwdrivers and whatever you want to get between the fins and everything else, small paint brushes are good on other area's. BE sure you cover the ENTIRE carburetor and intake manifold, with something like Saran wrap or water-proof whatever !! when rinsing off, I used a small pitcher of water rinse & repeat RINSE THOROUGHLY ... RINSE THROUGHLY !!!! now use a blower, to blow all the water off ( I used my Compressor with an air nozzle ) but a leaf-blower will also work, I then used spray type carb cleaner to do the OUTSIDE of the carb, ( which was in good running order ) you can do this first then do the engine, whichever you prefer, DOUBLE check or even change the engine oil ( for water ) remember to clean inside the shroud ! as far as the muffler, I never had one THAT hot, so maybe the internal baffle(s) got fried ?? that's your call to hear it after it's running ???? I THINK I covered this in enuff detail ( LOL ) here'a few pics of what I had on my 17.5 HP, when I first bought it ! hope this is helpful Bill, keep us up-dated, ..... Boo

DSCN1949.jpg...DSCN1948.jpg...DSCN1952.jpg

DSCN1953.jpg...DSCN1954.jpg...DSCN2463.jpgDSCN2464.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purple-P...75035&wl11=online&wl12=16778256&wl13=&veh=sem

Boobala

Boobala

If it isn't a cooling issue (shroud, fins, etc), then it will be an issue of excess heat production. The valve clearance and timing is essential for dissipating heat through exhaust. If the engine itself is getting hot it could be running way too rich. Possibly the spark plugs being the wrong temperature or the oil viscocity being incorrect. Not a mechanic, but just thinking of the heat itself and getting it out of the engine.

GOOD call Mike, .... ya beat me to it !

D

Darryl G

Besides the above, make sure the engine cooling fan is actually spinning.

brchad

brchad

Yep I remember you and that Crawfish or is it a Lobster ?

While you mower was sitting all winter a mouse or 2 homesteaded your engine under the air shroud....... Clean that out very well.

You will have to take the air shroud off tho ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

You gotta no fur shure dats a crawfish cher! We live in Virginia now (don't ask me why) so not too many mudbugs in the region. But da best damn bugs I ever eat came outta family owned ponds in Catahoula, La. (I'm just a honorary .... but my wife is a full blown Coonass!) Eunice.... dats up der near Sweveport yea? :cool:

The air shroud was the first thing I checked.... and yep... it was something like a mouse.... it's called a Vole in this part of the country. Nasty little vermin! I took the whole cover off and made sure everything was clear and clean. I had just put a new head on. So it's got to be something else.

I'm still tinkin' bout it dawlin!

brchad

brchad

Boo -

If I had an engine that looked like that one.... first of all, I wouldn't have even asked.... but for sure, I wouldn't put up pictures of it. HA!!

See my post to Bo above. Thanks anyway my friend. I appreciate it.

brchad

brchad

I just knew someone was going to suggest checking the damn valves! I swear.... I think I've done the "valve thing" on this engine 100 times at least. If I do them one more time I think I might drive the mower into the woods and leave it there. (Thanks.... I'll be checking them out.)

Interesting point about oil viscosity. The manual says to use regular 30W oil. It's not real hot up here like it is in Eunice. I remember thinking about 30W at the time.... and wondering if I read it wrong.

The spark plug is new... and per the manual. I checked the gap today. I don't think it's the plug.

brchad

brchad

Besides the above, make sure the engine cooling fan is actually spinning.

Okay.... you have me going on this one Darryl. If the engine is running.... and the plastic fan is bolted to the flywheel.... how could it not be turning? Am I missing something? (About the mower... I'm old enough to be missing some other things for sure!) :confused2:

C

cruzenmike

https://weingartz.com/expert-advice/2017/08/lawn-mower-engine-overheating/

Check this article out. The section on low oil level got me to thinking... If the engine you have uses pressure lubrication, is it possible that your oil pump has failed? If oil is not getting to the top of the cylinders, the heads would get extremely hot resulting in your hot muffler and melting plug wires?

D

Darryl G

Okay.... you have me going on this one Darryl. If the engine is running.... and the plastic fan is bolted to the flywheel.... how could it not be turning? Am I missing something? (About the mower... I'm old enough to be missing some other things for sure!) :confused2:

I don't know the specifics of how your fan attaches, but the plastic degrades over time and can crack, flats can round out, the pin or key can shear etc. Same with any fan. Just because it's on there doesn't mean it's spinning or spinning at full speed. I just replaced the fan on my Turf Tracer...wanna know why?

B

bertsmobile1

Firstly, to cool as designed the fan must be clean and securely fixed to the flywheel.

Secondly the engine must be clean to allow the cooling air to do its job.

Thirdly the engine must be running at full speed

Fourth all the covers ( including the ones underneath the engine ) must be in place

All that is correct then that is all you can do.

The engine cools best when set WOT thus allowing the governor to keep the speeds to 3000 / 3600 rpm ( depending upon the engine ).

New EPA compliant engine run a lot hotter and the exhaust usually will get to a dull red around the exhaust manifold which you do not see in the daylight.
Many of the newer ones have a catalytic converter or reburning plate in the muffler and that must get red hot to work .

Bad valve timing or ignition timing can make this worse.

Also over time the surface of the mufflers corrode / burn away thus the metal gets thinner and thinner metal get hotter cause there is not enough material to conduct the heat away.
So in the long run it might be nothing like a worn out muffler ( no one ever replaces them )

Boobala

Boobala

Well looks like most idea's have reached the table, we know it's got "good" oil ....
we know the cooling fins are clean....
we know the "fan" is spinning...
we know the valves are adjusted within range...
we know the air filter is clean...

we are running the engine at WOT ..??
have we tried to see if there's a drag on the "stack-pulley" ( crankshaft )
the carb is running too lean ?? check the color of the spark-plug ?? YOU did go to a carb with NO adjustment capability .. right size carb ..??
may have to check for a bent valve stem or scored cylinder...??

That's all I can think of unless the pixies are playing games ............ keep us posted !

Boobala

Boobala

Looks like Bert and I had pretty much the same idea's ...... he's faster on the "draw" ..:laughing:..:laughing:

D

Darryl G

Actually we don't know the fan is spinning because he refuses to accept that a problem with the fan is possible...the most critical component of the cooling system has been taken for granted. :smile:

Boobala

Boobala

Actually we don't know the fan is spinning because he refuses to accept that a problem with the fan is possible...the most critical component of the cooling system has been taken for granted. :smile:

I'll venture to say that Bill has checked that for sure, BUT then.. if he has a beer in one hand, and a sweetie on his other arm ...??? .. :banana:...:rolleyes:

Boobala

Boobala

I don't know the specifics of how your fan attaches, but the plastic degrades over time and can crack, flats can round out, the pin or key can shear etc. Same with any fan. Just because it's on there doesn't mean it's spinning or spinning at full speed. I just replaced the fan on my Turf Tracer...wanna know why?

I'm a NOSEY sumbeech .... I wanna know !!

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Br chad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Eunice, La.... Is in South Louisiana way far from North Louisiana... I am only 50 miles from the Gulf.....

Dawlin is an old Saying by Price LeBlanc auto sales in Baton Rouge La. That was his closing word in his commercials for his dealership.................

We are gonna boil crawfish for my B-Day next Saturday on the 7th... Big bugs down here now... Cheap too...

Check this out... A new song by a buddy of mine from down here... https://youtu.be/shVL7vRqyyw

So did you have nest in there ???

I

ILENGINE

Bad valve timing or ignition timing can make this worse.

Agree Bert, he should double check the flywheel key because a slight offset can cause an engine to run hotter than normal.

brchad

brchad

Darryl,

Looks like you've got me figured from the very beginning. Number 1 on my own treasured "Troubleshooting Rules" is "Never assume anything until it's been checked."

Of course.... that only works if one has actually opened the book, egh?

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be visually checking the fan today.... among other things.

(And I can think of LOTS of personal cases when plenty of time was wasted when I made a costly assumption! I am though, humble enough to admit it. I promise I'll tell you if that turns out to be the case here!) :thumbsup:

brchad

brchad

Br chad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Eunice, La.... Is in South Louisiana way far from North Louisiana... I am only 50 miles from the Gulf.....

Dawlin is an old Saying by Price LeBlanc auto sales in Baton Rouge La. That was his closing word in his commercials for his dealership.................

We are gonna boil crawfish for my B-Day next Saturday on the 7th... Big bugs down here now... Cheap too...

Check this out... A new song by a buddy of mine from down here... https://youtu.be/shVL7vRqyyw

So did you have nest in there ???

Well.... you've nailed it. My "Dawlin" gave me away. Baton Rouge.... born and raised .... "Right on the corner.... right on the price.... Dawlin'."

LOVE the video! Reminds me of so many great times at the farm in Catahoula! And wow.... does it ever make me homesick!!!

brchad

brchad

Re: Well - I'm Back!! (UPDATE!)

Well.... I've eliminated some of the potential problems:

1. The fan is definitely spinning.... LOTS of cool air being circulated. Shroud is in place and engine head fins are totally clean.

2. Removed the muffler just to see if it was major dirty or even clogged. Nothing out of the ordinary.

3. Decided that perhaps some particulate or buildup in the valves was possible.... so I added a good shot of Sea Foam in 1/2 gallon of gas ....

4. OKAY .... no laughing allowed here! I decided to run the Sea Foam/gas mixture without replacing the muffler guard installed. It started up perfectly... running smoothly with throttle in the "Rabbit" position.

As I was backing out of the garage to make a test run when in a flash.... the exhaust noise increased to about DOUBLE the decibels! I put it in neutral... locked.... walked around to the front and laying on the garage floor was the entire front half of the muffler! (Was it someone here who said that nobody ever replaces them?) Ha!

This thing is running so hot it melted the spark plug boot and some electrical tape I had used .... trying to secure it better. All of the paint is burnt off of the muffler guard.

Next steps: Order a muffler.... ugh!!! Check the flywheel key.... make sure it's secure. CHECK THE VALVES! Sheesh!

Question: The last 4 inches or so of the plug wire and boot is SHOT. The wire is permanently attached to the magneto. Is there some acceptable way to splice a new wire on or do I need to buy a new magneto and wire assembly?

Thanks in advance for the help guys! :mad:

B

bertsmobile1

Usually the wires are screwed into the mag and then the potting mix is poured in on the top.
It is a painfully slow process but you can dig the potting mix out wind the wire off, wind a new wire on then make up a new batch of resin to seal every thing back again.

OTOH you can cut & solder the HT lead as well or fit an in line supressor which is like a double ended cable joiner

brchad

brchad

Hmmmm..... looks like I found the culprit. I can't even to begin to imagine how this engine was running AT ALL!

DSCN4312.jpg

D

Darryl G

That's why the fan wasn't spinning and cooling the engine...told you so, lol. :wink:

Boobala

Boobala

That's why the fan wasn't spinning and cooling the engine...told you so, lol. :wink:

FRIGGEN SCHOLARS !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

brchad

brchad

Oh.... the flywheel WAS spinning.... so the FAN (bolted to the flywheel) was spinning too!

What "blows" me away (pun intended) is that ANY of it was even turning.... much less running!

Flywheel, key and muffler on order....

I'll keep you posted.

brchad

brchad

Okay.... TOTALLY disgusted with this damn engine!

New (used, but good) muffler installed. New (unused) flywheel installed .... double checked the key alignment, etc. Torqued to 100 ft.lbs.

The engine turns over... a few times before it fires (or actually backfires through the carb) then stops. That's all I can get .... a backfire.

Turned the engine with no spark plug.... rotates freely... no noise, etc.

Checked the valves AGAIN .... and AGAIN .... (we all know how "picky" these B&S valves can be) .... no help.

Used a new spark plug... checked it while grounded against the head.... plenty of fire there.

The carb is brand new .... and using fresh gasoline.

I'm at my wits rear-end on this one!

Any keen ideas from anyone.... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

"Baton Rouge" Bill

D

Darryl G

Seems you're still left with all of the same possibilities; ignition and valve timing out of sync or mixture too lean. Is it possible that your valve adjustment method is improper? I know you've done it multiple times, but what if you're doing it wrong?

brchad

brchad

Seems you're still left with all of the same possibilities; ignition and valve timing out of sync or mixture too lean. Is it possible that your valve adjustment method is improper? I know you've done it multiple times, but what if you're doing it wrong?

From my past experience with this engine.... there's no doubt in my mind that the valve settings could be the culprit. Before, it was about doing the settings 1/4" past top dead center.... to facilitate the compression release system which uses a small lobe on the cam shaft to release some pressure through the intake valve. I've tried to check and re-check the settings with no luck.

One other thing still concerns me with this engine. The intake manifold "elbow" .... where the manifold meets the engine head. It's not clear to me... and I've looked at every source I can find... why there would be what B&S calls a "Intake Restrictor" plate. That plate was installed when I bought the mower... and it ran fine. During a rebuild.... when I bought and installed a new Niki replacement carb.... it wasn't clear to me how (or if) it should be installed. The plate is a thin polished metal disc which would make sense... since the elbow uses a o-ring to mate with the head. But what gasket (if any) mates between the metal "disc" and the head itself. It appears like there may have been some sort of fiber gasket backing on that plate.... that is either missing or perhaps worn off. I'm going to order a new "restriction plate" to find out. I've tried using a regular carb gasket along with the plate.... without success.

I've never understood why they would use a restriction plate that basically limits the intake by half.... it's cut out like a half circle .... and installs (best I can tell from drawings) with the opening at the top. And.... of course.... the more you mess with the o-ring during installation... the more likely it becomes worn and causes a potential leak. Right now, that's at the top of my list of potential causes.

The only other thing I can think of is that the severe damage (shock) that the flywheel had (see the earlier picture) may have actually been powerful enough to bend or otherwise compromise the crankshaft somehow. I'm trying not to dwell on that idea! :)

Thanks for the interest. I will be checking the valves AGAIN tomorrow.... and see if I missed something there.

Bill

B

bertsmobile1

Bill,
The restrictor plate is there to reduce the Hp of the engine, that is all it does.
One of the way engine companies manage to get 6 to 10 different Hp ratings from a series of engines with the same bore, stroke & running rpms.
Some times you can remove it some times you have to put in a bigger main jet if you remove it.
Governed engines are a touch different to throttle control engines like your car where you can run too lean & blow the engine.

If you are worried about the seal spray some WD 40 ( or similar ) FROM A TRIGGER PACK all around the manifold while the engine is running.
WD 40 burning will cause thick whit smoke and the revs to change if it is getting sucked into the engine by an air leak.

brchad

brchad

I've worked long and hard.... rebuilt the entire mower..... here's the reward for my work. Ain't she a beauty now?

(CLICK PHOTO TO ENLARGE)

newmower.jpg