Weed Eating Secrets Please.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay for testing, one could move the D handle down to simulate that wonder bar? If that works, why are you guys buying another gadget that adds more weight to the tool?

I can't wrap my peanut head around changing the balance with another bar helping back pain. Moving my D handle down this weekend to test.

How far down should it go? Going to copy what you guys have with that wonder bar. Stay tuned.
I’ve tried moving the D handle down on the shaft. It made my hunched over posture even worse.
The Darwin Grip moves your hold point up the shaft and slightly away from the shaft. This makes the operator’s posture more upright.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’ve tried moving the D handle down on the shaft. It made my hunched over posture even worse.
The Darwin Grip moves your hold point up the shaft and slightly away from the shaft. This makes the operator’s posture more upright.
Oh I see. Moves the head more towards you feet.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dude in the Darwin video, he doesn't even hold the Darwin grip when edging. Nor the D handle. He holds the shaft. So again, how does this work for edging?

I'm all about looking to save back pain.

tgzzzz

Threads
If I recall correctly my stihl kombi came with an additional straight handle. Long gone. Now I get it. That said, the Darwin is the next iteration. With the harness, you're not holding any weight. No matter for the young and dumb but me? I'm liking it.

tgzzzz

Threads
Update review: I'm buying stock in the company. I kept screwing around with adjustments and now that the Darwin's Grip is dialed in, it's a gamechanger. Zero weight on the arms, back straight, I'm back to feeling like the Terminator on weeds. I bounce that string way out and let that big dog eat. Returning triumphantly back to the trailer, I stick the Stihl in the trimmer rack, and the Darwin's Grip rotates 180° and is out of the way. Getting back in the cab, I gaze at the yard and announce, "I'll be back."

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The harness holds ALL of the trimmer weight. Any debate there?

The Darwin Grip creates a lower grip towards the head movement point. I can see, moving left to right, will be easier with the Darwin.

But how is this a game changer far as back pain goes? Again the harness holds all the trimmer weight. ??????

My ears are open.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Without a strap, as the video shows, I can see a more balancing effect holding the trimmer. One hand by the engine, other attachment near the head. Trimmer would be more balanced.

WITH a harness, this changes everything. Not seeing how it works like this. Someone please help me see the light LOL.

tgzzzz

Threads
I missed something before, the Grip is bolted to my trimmer attachment on the Stihl Kombi, and stays there. When I put the edger attachment on I haven't noticed a need for the additional handle as I can generally use the edger one-handed while walking straight up once in the groove.

tgzzzz

Threads
The harness holds ALL of the trimmer weight. Any debate there? Nope

The Darwin Grip creates a lower towards the head movement point. I can see, moving left to right, will be easier with the Darwin. Much much easier to control the swing and the height control is built -in with harness adjustment.

But how is this a game changer far as back pain goes? Again the harness holds all the trimmer weight. ??????

My ears are open.
I can stand up straight. Without the Grip, I have to lean over to hold the D handle (and doubtless pick up some weight).

Lawn Addict
Threads
I stand up straight, but have relocated the D handle up closer to the throttle grip. I'm used to it & Left handed..

& I always edge the driveway & sidewalk on the edge.. Mowing at 4-1/4" tall the edging looks killer..