Weed Eating Secrets Please.

tgzzzz

Threads
Unfortunately I need to use a weed eater on a smallish back yard with limited access. Is there a secret to getting a reasonably level outcome?

RYANS'

Threads
Slow and steady. I weed eat around trees and shrubs so that it's easier to use the ride on mower. I've seen the results of grass cut with a weed eater. If the grass was low to begin with, the result looks pretty good, keeping a low even cut , try not to cut the ground. If the grass is high, 6-8 inches, the the cut grass will be on top and look untidy. The thing to do then is rake up the cut grass, remove it, and weed eat again. This grass may even need a third pass depending on length. You can leave some grass behind to act as mulch which is good. But because of the long grass length to begin with the final result will look a bit uneven.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
One is safety glasses. Two is walk towards your left side. Head rotation cuts better. Three is ear protection. Four is long pants and a white long sleeve shirt. 5 is no shower shoes, flip flops, crocs or any other lazy America shoes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When eating weeds younger and tender are the easiest to digest. Sorry had to go there but what some call weeds are actually food.

But I do trim with string trimmers and with lots of experience you can even around young saplings with even nicking their tender bark.

tgzzzz

Threads
One is safety glasses. Two is walk towards your left side. Head rotation cuts better. Three is ear protection. Four is long pants and a white long sleeve shirt. 5 is no shower shoes, flip flops, crocs or any other lazy America shoes.
Got all that covered. Issue is a good chunk of grass about 15' below grade on a river, maybe 10' x 40'. Limited access to say the least. Keeping the head level is key. I'm not much good at that. Or I can carry a push down there and I'm not crazy about that.
Re direction, I have a Stihl kombi. Head goes ccw from my pov. You still would be moving left?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Use a trimmer.

Which ever way the head turns, walk where the head is turning against that direction.

Far as not being able to cut level, perfect chance to get some practice.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unfortunately I need to use a weed eater on a smallish back yard with limited access. Is there a secret to getting a reasonably level outcome?
Do you have a Darwin’s Grip on your weed eater? The Darwin’s Grip will help keeping the trimmer level and it saves your back too.

tgzzzz

Threads
Now that looks helpful for my 81 yr old body! [My mind is still 16.] Thank you! I have one on order.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now that looks helpful for my 81 yr old body! [My mind is still 16.] Thank you! I have one on order.
I bought me one and it really saves your back and helps keep your trimmer level.