Used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

poncho144

Threads
Know a Farmer who recycles all used oil by gravity Filtering, Pressure filtering and Heating. No idea just what he uses it for 'cause whenever I ask, all I git is a blank stare wit one of his 3 eyes.
I'm guess'n here, but I have a notion its got sump'n to do wit UAP's.....alberta UFO.jpg

Bequared55

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
I take mine to a local auto repair shop. They use old oil to heat the shop in a "waste oil furnace"

Waz

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
We have a large property and I use the spent oil to help preserve around the bottom of fence posts. I dig a small trench around the bottom of each post and pout the oil into it. It usually soaks into the wood of the post and to some extent, the earth surrounding each one treated.
I have never found the oil creating a problem for the surrounding earth the whole time I have been doing it, and in fact the oil appears to dissipate quite quickly into the ground and causes no harm to anything that I have noticed.

I mostly do my own oil changes, so get to keep that oil for myself, but spent oil is now saved by auto garages when they perform oil changes on vehicles, then it's picked up to be reprocessed by those who see an easy cash cow in doing so - in other words - making good money from a substance they've been given for nothing. They then charge you a mint for your own oil back again when it's once more refined and all the impurities are filtered out.

I recall pulling up at a garage many years ago to fill up with petrol and noticed through a slightly opened door to a workshop area, a man, apparently trying to conceal himself behind the door, filling up various sized bottles of oil (pints and quarts) from a plastic container which I recognized by the label as a much cheaper brand of oil obtained by the method described above.

The bottles being filled were sitting in a wire rack advertising Shell XMO. So instead of the oil in the bottles being unadulterated and top quality - as advertised, the oil in them was now a cheap substitute! This 'cheap' oil was obviously being prepared to be placed next to the gas pumps with the price being charged commensurate with the Shell XMO label on the rack.

Never pulled up to purchase anything from that garage since!

Last edited:

Tucson47

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah? That's safe? What does it do for the mower?
You coat the underside of the deck (rider or walk behind mower) after you scrape off as much of the dried grass as you can. It is done B/4 winter storage and VASTLY increases the life of the deck. Almost all of the deck rot and corrosion occurs during the winter storage months. Steel decks rot fastest if stored when wet, or even just moist grass dries against the deck. Scraping and oil coating can increase a deck's life by many, many years.

DinosaurMike

Threads
You coat the underside of the deck (rider or walk behind mower) after you scrape off as much of the dried grass as you can. It is done B/4 winter storage and VASTLY increases the life of the deck. Almost all of the deck rot and corrosion occurs during the winter storage months. Steel decks rot fastest if stored when wet, or even just moist grass dries against the deck. Scraping and oil coating can increase a deck's life by many, many years.
I put a set of Oregon 598-629 Gator G5 blades on my 42" Troy-Bilt deck in June after scraping the deck and lubing the spindles. I lifted the tractor in November to remove the blades to sharpen over the winter and found absolutely nothing, including paint, on the bottom of the deck. It looked like it had been glass beaded. Maybe I should coat the bottom of the deck with some used motor oil to keep the deck from rusting over the winter. There is an LOL in there somewhere. Other than that, I take used oil to WalMart for recycling.

Dieselbob

Threads
My employer has four waste oil furnaces to heat our two shops. I have an old 25 gallon farm chemical sprayer tank that I set up with casters to roll around, and fork pockets. When the tank is full, I pick it up with the clip on forks on my tractor bucket and load it in my truck and take it to work. Then I attach a drain hose, open the valve and gravity dump it into our 7500 gallon underground storage tank. We also have filter crushers. Once the filters are crushed, we are allowed to put them in our scrap metal dumpster. I keep a plastic tote under the work bench and fill it with old filters. When it's full, I take the tote to work.

Dieselbob

Threads
My only issue with recycled motor oil is that a five quart jug of it cost more at my local retailer than the jugs of synthetic blend oil I have been using for years. No price incentives to switch. I am all for saving the environment and granted I am no expert on oil processing but I can’t see how filtering out the carbon and spent detergents from used motor oil could possibly cost the oil companies more than refining crude? Recapped tire quality has a great deal to do with the recapper. If they cut corners, the treads just fall off or blow out! If you were ever driving a car at 70 mph when a poorly recapped tire decided to separate or blow out, I am willing to bet you wouldn’t be a fan of them anymore! The American interstate highway systems are littered with bands and chunks of separated recapped tire treads from semi truck trailers.
I have been in the trucking business for almost 40 years. In all those years, I can count on one hand how many recapped tires I've seen come apart because of defects. 99+% of the tire casings you see along the highway are because the tire was run flat and came apart. Original tread tires do the exact same thing when run flat.

TobyU

Threads
All the oil filters along with scrap I take to local recycling place. They are only paying $110 per ton for scrap metal. More important for me is getting rid of it and not ruining the environment.
The used oil is often used for starting my wood burning fireplace in my shop along with kindling. I am cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Seriously considering sprayed in insulation in the near future. The more time and older I get the less I like the temperature extremes while working all day.
It's been 110 to 140 around here which is pretty good considering it was down to 55 a few years ago.
Before that it was up to 240 at its peak I remember and sat between 210 and 225 for a long time.

Gescha

Threads
I either take used oil to Walmart or burn it as fuel in my Deuce and a half

Status
Not open for further replies.