Used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I just make a trip to local auto parts store & dump it..
All the oil filters along with scrap I take to local recycling place. They are only paying $110 per ton for scrap metal. More important for me is getting rid of it and not ruining the environment.
The used oil is often used for starting my wood burning fireplace in my shop along with kindling. I am cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Seriously considering sprayed in insulation in the near future. The more time and older I get the less I like the temperature extremes while working all day.

MowerNick

Threads
I would look around and see if anyone near you has a waste oil furnace. My town highway department does and takes all my old oil, gas, etc.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
They would not want this stuff since it has water and gas along with the oil

Forest#2

Threads
I change the oil in my old vec's usually every 5k miles or less.
Some of the vec's use straight 30w and some use 10-30 conventional oils.

I also quite often get used small 4 cycle engines, usually lawn tractor and pressure washer engines of 3.5 to 25 hp. Instead of installing new costly motor oil into a engine that I need to do a test run I just install the used motor oil for the preliminary test runs. If the engine is good I install new oil. If it's a bad engine no great loss of throwing good money at bad stuff.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mix it 50/50 with Diesel or spray on direct to your wooden stockade fence. Excellent way to recycle used motor oil. 100 plus year old farmers trick. Do it to my fence every two years. Still looks like new from our 2017 install. Neighbors full cedar is looking rather weathered about now. Diesel truck oil is the best. It is very black and stains the wood well. Clean oil doesn't stain the wood much. Trailers with wooden plank boards, same deal. Bugs don't like it. Doesn't catch fire. It actually soaks into the wood. You can put a cigarette light directly on the wood. It will not light off. It sits there and smolders.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep.
Back when i wore short pants, the rich people painted the bottom of their paining fences with creasote ( coal tar oil to some ) .
Us mear mortals painted the fence with used auto oil
Both practices are banned now days by environmentalist who failed science at high school
So some gets used on fences still
The rest goes to a bunker oil processor .
Bunker oil is called bunker oil because it is what ships burn once they are in international waters because diesel is way too expensive
I used to burn it in radiant wall furnaces when I was a practicing metallurgist but even then the EPA disapproved so we were real time monitored while the coke burning cupola in the iron foundry next door could block out the sun with their thick black smoke .
No one reprocesses it now days because the major oil companies did such a good job at convincing the average motorist that using re-refined oil would cause their car to instantly vapourise . same as retreading old tyre cases .
The railways uses a lot of re-refined oil in their locos but those do take quite a few gallons & get changed ( usually only 1/2 or 1/3 ) every month

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep.
Back when i wore short pants, the rich people painted the bottom of their paining fences with creasote ( coal tar oil to some ) .
Us mear mortals painted the fence with used auto oil
Both practices are banned now days by environmentalist who failed science at high school
So some gets used on fences still
The rest goes to a bunker oil processor .
Bunker oil is called bunker oil because it is what ships burn once they are in international waters because diesel is way too expensive
I used to burn it in radiant wall furnaces when I was a practicing metallurgist but even then the EPA disapproved so we were real time monitored while the coke burning cupola in the iron foundry next door could block out the sun with their thick black smoke .
No one reprocesses it now days because the major oil companies did such a good job at convincing the average motorist that using re-refined oil would cause their car to instantly vapourise . same as retreading old tyre cases .
The railways uses a lot of re-refined oil in their locos but those do take quite a few gallons & get changed ( usually only 1/2 or 1/3 ) every month
Coke does not produce smoke on burning: Coke burns with an almost smokeless flame and does not produce smoke during burning. So, there is lesser air pollution when coke is burnt as compared to when coal is burnt. That is why noonshiners use it to fire their stills.

Status
Not open for further replies.