transmission drive pulley will not turn

oggie

Threads
My Craftsman Mid-engine rider, 536270290, runs great and the blade turns fine however, it will not go forward or backwards. With the engine off I can push the mower easily in neutral but not if I put it in any gear. With the engine running and the brake off the drive belt is turning but the drive pulley (PART NUMBER: 1401077) does not turn in any gear not even neutral. I noticed that the idler pulley (PART NUMBER: 1401252) is pulled over so far that it butts up against the frame but the belt feels tight enough to turn the drive pulley if there isn't a great deal of friction from the transmission. My questions are should the drive pulley on top of the tranny turn freely when the tranny is in neutral? What could keep the tranny locked up?
Thanks for all comments and suggestions.
Oggie

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Does the transmission pulley turn freely by hand when the tranny is in neutral. Is the transmission drive belt tight with the brake/clutch disengaged.

Just saw your other post. I would say either a bearing on the input shaft is seized, or one of the internal shafts that is turned by the input shaft.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: That mower has one of the simplest drive systems. Consisting of the belt and an idler pulley. With your statement, that the idler goes all the way to the frame, sounds to me like there is it much slack in the belt. There is an adjustment on the rod that controls the idler pulley tension. Belt number should be 37x110MA. When in neutral the trans pulley should not be turning. Remove the belt and see if you can push it in gear.

oggie

Threads
:smile: That mower has one of the simplest drive systems. Consisting of the belt and an idler pulley. With your statement, that the idler goes all the way to the frame, sounds to me like there is it much slack in the belt. There is an adjustment on the rod that controls the idler pulley tension. Belt number should be 37x110MA. When in neutral the trans pulley should not be turning. Remove the belt and see if you can push it in gear.

I can not push it in gear with the belt off. Also, after a day or two I start the mower and it works fine. After about 15 minutes the trans pulley stops turning but the drive belt is still turning. I can put it in neutral and push it back to the garage. Maybe the belt is stretching, I will replace it today. Any thoughts?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can not push it in gear with the belt off. Also, after a day or two I start the mower and it works fine. After about 15 minutes the trans pulley stops turning but the drive belt is still turning. I can put it in neutral and push it back to the garage. Maybe the belt is stretching, I will replace it today. Any thoughts?

I would take the deck off so you can see under it make sure the spring is still on the the little pulley.

Is your clutch/ brake pedal easy or hard to push down. When it stops take your foot and pull back on the brake if it goes to move then I would say bad spring. If your belt looks good then it's good they do not stretch

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Buckshot 1

Threads
I would take the deck off so you can see under it make sure the spring is still on the the little pulley.

Is your clutch/ brake pedal easy or hard to push down. When it stops take your foot and pull back on the brake if it goes to move then I would say bad spring. If your belt looks good then it's good they do not stretch

:smile: I do not know if I will go along with belts not stretching. They do wear down, therefore changing the pitch and ride lower in the sheave, causing them it slip. oogie, you shoud be able to push that LT with the belt off and the brakeclutch pedal released. Check an see if the brake is releasing.

oggie

Threads
I set out to change the drive belt when I noticed that the drive pulley is very loose and floppy. I pulled the transaxle off and found the input shaft flopping around where I suppose there was a bearing. Sears diagram does not even give a part number for a transaxle nor an illustrated parts break down. The rest of the mower is in very good condition. My questions are : Where can I get a transaxle or parts to fix this one and where is the line between fixing or junking? Thanks

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What I would do is find a used mower with a bad engine or deck A good place to look is a scrap recycling place People will scrap there mower if a plug wire falls off

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I set out to change the drive belt when I noticed that the drive pulley is very loose and floppy. I pulled the transaxle off and found the input shaft flopping around where I suppose there was a bearing. Sears diagram does not even give a part number for a transaxle nor an illustrated parts break down. The rest of the mower is in very good condition. My questions are : Where can I get a transaxle or parts to fix this one and where is the line between fixing or junking? Thanks

Most of those were peerless trannys. If a peerless there should be a small metal tag sitting in a recessed area on one side of the tranny or the other. It is about 3/8 by 1/2-3/4 Get me that number and I can see what I can find out as far as parts available.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile:Some Craftsmans had Dana/Foote transaxles. I repaired one that was doing the same thing as yours. Needle bearings for the input shaft wore out letting the shaft move around. 50$ kit later and new grease, repair done. Sears wanted 800$ to intall a new transaxle. Look under the brake rotor for a model number for the transaxle.