This forum will be dead soon.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I watched two video's yesterday of shops closing down. One was due to health issues and moving. One was Steve's small engine saloon. Except for Youtube content he's going to keep doing, he's taking my route. Only doing his friends and family repairs. His complaints are about the same as ours.

Steve has enough videos out there to be making more than enough beer money for a very long time.
Trying to make a dollar is not easy these days
Right now I have better than 20 repairs in the yard that I can not get parts to fix.
If I wanted to work at a sweating pace all day & do bad jobs I could take up any of the offers from the local repair shops
But that is for the young & desperate
One job a day is enough for me to do even better if all of the customers appreciate the service they get .

The other problem is of course the throw away $ 200 supermarket junk mowers from China .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You don't like it with uncle Joe's hands in your pockets?
No the problem was Uncle Donald didn't pay the required money and I have been fighting for the last 4 yrs to get it. But even Uncle Joe as you put it can't get the IRS off their backsides either.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Famous quote from Ronald Reagan " What are the scariest words in the English language? I am from the government and I'm here to help"

So true

A self employed friend didn't get get the covid checks but my mother on SSI in a nursing home did and she hadn't filed a tax return in ten years at least.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
No the problem was Uncle Donald didn't pay the required money and I have been fighting for the last 4 yrs to get it. But even Uncle Joe as you put it can't get the IRS off their backsides either.
Steve’s Small Engine Salon on YouTube has 630,000 subscribers, do the math. He is making a good/great living on money from videos alone. Why would he want to put up with crabby customers? Problem will be finding good equipment for content to make new videos.

No doubt that there are not as many people interested in any mechanical, etc. these days, not just small engines. They are too busy screwing around on the internet accomplishing zero.

These days many people want to either pay someone to fix whatever their issue is, or buy a new plastic, shiny product. Rarely do they try to tackle the problem themselves. The resourcefulness and independence is virtually gone.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most people today fix a sandwich let alone something mechanical. The US has an epidemic of so called handymen that don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold that are ripping people off. Anybody can start a handyman business and some think watching a few utube vids makes them experts. I quit doing it. The money was good but don't call me at 9 at night because your toilet doesn't work. I have seen electrical done by a handyman that could get someone killed. There should be a test before someone is allowed to shop in the electrical and plumbing sections at the home center LOL.
some of these guys should come in with clown paint on instead of a toolbox.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Steve’s Small Engine Salon on YouTube has 630,000 subscribers, do the math. He is making a good/great living on money from videos alone. Why would he want to put up with crabby customers? Problem will be finding good equipment for content to make new videos.

No doubt that there are not as many people interested in any mechanical, etc. these days, not just small engines. They are too busy screwing around on the internet accomplishing zero.

These days many people want to either pay someone to fix whatever their issue is, or buy a new plastic, shiny product. Rarely do they try to tackle the problem themselves. The resourcefulness and independence is virtually gone.

So many lawn services around mowing yards of people who have kids old enough to mow.

jimvw57

Threads
I was informed that I was retiring a year ago, my job was eliminated, I kept getting calls asking how to fix equipment I installed and kept running for 27 years (yeah right) My oldest son ended up moving back home and is helping out getting all those projects fixed up that have been piling up, He has finally realized how much it takes and worth to be able to fix things instead of buying new worthless junk that only lasts a short time. He is 40.... The wife complains about all the tools I have and now He is saying we can't get rid of them because we need them!
New mechanics are at a loss if they can't plug a computer in to tell them how to fix something.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was informed that I was retiring a year ago, my job was eliminated, I kept getting calls asking how to fix equipment I installed and kept running for 27 years (yeah right) My oldest son ended up moving back home and is helping out getting all those projects fixed up that have been piling up, He has finally realized how much it takes and worth to be able to fix things instead of buying new worthless junk that only lasts a short time. He is 40.... The wife complains about all the tools I have and now He is saying we can't get rid of them because we need them!
New mechanics are at a loss if they can't plug a computer in to tell them how to fix something.

When the wife complains about having too many tools, just buy more. She's still going to be upset. But you get a new tool out of it.

Follow me for more marital advice. :oops:

jimvw57

Threads
When the wife complains about having too many tools, just buy more. She's still going to be upset. But you get a new tool out of it.

Follow me for more marital advice. :oops:
the 2 most important words to know when you are married..... yes Dear.... 48 years of marriage has taught me well. and remember, it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads

the 2 most important words to know when you are married..... yes Dear.... 48 years of marriage has taught me well. and remember, it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
My wife doesn’t care what tools I buy. My tools for work make money.

There are not many people today with desire to learn skilled trades like being a mechanic. The demand for plumbers, electricians, HVAC, mechanics will always exist. So the title of this thread, “this forum will be dead soon”, is a ridiculous statement. I have skills, tools, and knowledge to repair small engines, mowers, hand held equipment, ATVs, etc. that will always be needed.