This forum will be dead soon.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the BEST mower forum on the net. Great group of people on here.

My comment was about all these companies leaving the gas mower biz. Honda, Snapper and numerous others are basically gone. New mowers or should I say good mowers are hard to find now. Like the older Snappers that live for 50 plus years and still going strong today. Who is left out there like this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ignoring the new Indian bike. BSA has not made a motorcycle since 1973
I am currently on 22 BSA forums ( there are more )

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Ignoring the new Indian bike. BSA has not made a motorcycle since 1973
I am currently on 22 BSA forums ( there are more )

So all the millions of gas outdoor power equipment mowers, blowers, trimmers, pressure washers, generators, etc. will just shrivel up and die if and when battery equipment becomes more popular? Surely you jest! Just because Honda and whoever else decided to drop self-propelled gas mowers, the sky is falling?! Been sniffing too much leaded fuel maybe?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Right now it is not the repairing of older that is the problem here it is the new equipment. I done ran into one Briggs engine that was only two years old that I couldn't get parts for. And a one year old Lincon engine that I could not get a carb rebuild kit for or any other parts. Yet a 20 yr old Tecumseh I could get parts for. And the original Tecumseh has been out the business since 2009.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Right now it is not the repairing of older that is the problem here it is the new equipment. I done ran into one Briggs engine that was only two years old that I couldn't get parts for. And a one year old Lincon engine that I could not get a carb rebuild kit for or any other parts. Yet a 20 yr old Tecumseh I could get parts for. And the original Tecumseh has been out the business since 2009.
Agreed, parts for a lot of the new stuff is made of unobtanium. Husqvarna is using a lot of it and all the battery stuff is made of it. I fix a lot of stuff from the 60's and 70's and I always seem to find parts.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Agreed, parts for a lot of the new stuff is made of unobtanium. Husqvarna is using a lot of it and all the battery stuff is made of it. I fix a lot of stuff from the 60's and 70's and I always seem to find parts.
Kind of ironic that you can get almost every part to rebuild a car or tractor from the 30-40's and can't get parts to fix the stuff made 2 years ago.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My latest problem child. It is a bit of a collector's item a cording to the owner. It is a Brillion. He bought it sight unseen and it hasBrillion.jpg a LOT of sins. Got everthing straightened out except the goofy air vane govenor. Somebody changed the shroud and made it a ratchet recoil vs a rope and I think it is messing with the airflow. I can get stuff to fix it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I think we will be running out of people to repair the equipment before we run out of equipment. Being north of 70 I’ve been fully “retired” since the pandemic, but will get at least 2 calls a week asking if I will look at a piece of equipment. 10 years ago there were 20-25 repair shops within 50 miles of me, now down to 7 I know of. Owners couldn’t find mechanics or just too old to continue working. I’ll get a call once a month from 2 of these shops when they run into an electrical problem their younger techs get stumped on. They make it worth my time to help them out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There you go Rivets. It has been the case around here too. Young folks just don't want work our industry anymore. Most are too hung on their phones and social media to even stay off long enough to even talk to us techs when they are trying to get the equipment fixed.

The shops left are major pains to deal with as the owners and techs have attitude problems. I got that even refuses to sell the parts I need but one their counter poeple made the mistake let me know where they are getting their parts so I am now buying from the same distributor.