The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Just want everybody to notice his NEW avatar , I thank you Mr. "Spam-Can" (submariner) man ... for your service to our country !!

Boo-Baby... I want to thank you for finding me all those nifty submarine designs... As you can see I picked out one that was far more appropriate to replace the 'most likely phony-photo' of the two guys riding the snorkel diffuser.

However, I would like to point out that submarine sailors are usually (and proudly too!) referred to as "Sewer Pipe Sailors", not "Spam Can Sailors"... Spam cans can't take the pressure... but sewer pipes can!

Thanks again for all the help, it's been a fun project.

Gotta go finish the trailer I made now. I discovered that I have to raise the hitch for it by 4" to reach the mounting plate on the rear of the tractor.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo-Baby... I want to thank you for finding me all those nifty submarine designs... As you can see I picked out one that was far more appropriate to replace the 'most likely phony-photo' of the two guys riding the snorkel diffuser.

However, I would like to point out that submarine sailors are usually (and proudly too!) referred to as "Sewer Pipe Sailors", not "Spam Can Sailors"... Spam cans can't take the pressure... but sewer pipes can!

Thanks again for all the help, it's been a fun project.

Gotta go finish the trailer I made now. I discovered that I have to raise the hitch for it by 4" to reach the mounting plate on the rear of the tractor.

We the willing,..Urged by the Ungrateful & Unknowing,..Have done so much, with so little ,..for so long,... WE are now Qualfied ..
to do ANYTHING !! ... with NOTHING !! ...... That should sum it up !!

UHHH .... like you said Rog, ... there are more airplanes in the ocean, than there are submarines in the sky !!

NICE job Roger, ......10 Goldstars and an Atta-boy !! ...BUT just remember, ...one, AW - S**t !! ...wipes out ALL Atta-boys ..
......:thumbsup: ..:laughing: ...:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

...BUT just remember, ...one, AW - S**t !! ...wipes out ALL Atta-boys ..
......:thumbsup: ..:laughing: ...:laughing:

Geez, I thought the Navy coined that saying.. Probably some fly boy over heard a sailor in a bar and plagiarized it! LOL...

Thanks buddy, it's been fun...

Roge

Pumper54

Threads

Roger,
Way to go on getting the mower back together. Thank you for your service as a Submariner, when I lived on GUAM (Military dependent at the time) our next door neighbor at the time was one of the few Naval Officers to wear both Submariner and Flight Officer wings. When asked he said "what ever goes up, always comes down but not everything that goes down comes up. I have taken tours on both the older diesel electric boats and a nuke boat. Also took my SCUBA certification at New London and we did a dive in the escape tower. From the top down then back up, not a lock out.
Have a few friends that were Navy tin can operators (ASSW, I think those are the correct letters) so I bet you all could have good chats. ;-)
Tom

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger,
Way to go on getting the mower back together. Thank you for your service as a Submariner, when I lived on GUAM (Military dependent at the time) our next door neighbor at the time was one of the few Naval Officers to wear both Submariner and Flight Officer wings. When asked he said "what ever goes up, always comes down but not everything that goes down comes up. I have taken tours on both the older diesel electric boats and a nuke boat. Also took my SCUBA certification at New London and we did a dive in the escape tower. From the top down then back up, not a lock out.
Have a few friends that were Navy tin can operators (ASSW, I think those are the correct letters) so I bet you all could have good chats. ;-)
Tom

Tom,

Guam huh? Land of the Goony Birds! So I take it your Officer buddy was going from "the boats" to aircraft and not the other way around.. Not me, I still hate flying.. We always said, "As long as your number of surfaces equals your number of dives, you're in good shape." Of course as soon as the diving alarm sounded, then you were 'one-up' on your number of surfaces.. But I would not have traded my ten years in 'the boats' for all the tea in China.. Some of the craziest b*st*rds I've ever met were boat sailors, but being crazy may have been a prerequisite for joining the sub service. Navy Seals are crazy too, (I've hung around some at Little Jim's Bridge in Fort Pierce), but they are a different sort of crazy... And not to insult Bert the Mobile-Man, but Aussies are REALLY crazy! Must come from living upside down! We had two Aussie divers paint a pink kangaroo on the upper rudder of the USS Sailfish SS-572 in the middle of the night, when we were in Hong Kong harbor in 1969-1970. We didn't discover it until sunrise the next morning.. Needless to say, our topside deck watch got in the sh*ts and just diving in Hong Kong Harbor qualified the Aussies as being crazy on any number of different levels!

Diving in the escape tower! How cool! Of course that's all gone now, but I understand they are building some sort of replacement. When I did my escape training that famous Navy guy that could hold his breath nearly forever was there. He threw a pair of Navy sneakers that were tied together with their laces in the tank - (they sank like a rock!!) - then he jumped in and s-l-o-w-l-y pulled himself down one of the cables, all 113' to the bottom, calmly untied the laces, put on the sneakers, retied the laces and then s-l-o-w-l-y came back up! To say I was impressed, would be an understatement! I started diving around 1960 and went to Divers Training School in Fort Lauderdale in 1963. I qualified as SCUBA Instructor and Commercial Shallow Water Diver. (Never did either as a business.) (How did you like the mermaids painted on the tank walls? - I didn't really get to see them, as I had no mask and everything was blurry.)

The acronym you are looking for is just ASW (Anti-Submarine-Warfare - unless the "skimmers" use another name) and submarines are actually the "point of the spear" in that business. I taught at FLTASWSCOL in San Diego for the last three years of my service.

What diesel boats did you tour?

Thank you for your recognition and for your service as a First Responder..

Roger

PS. I am going to do some 'body work' on the Yardman. The front has some minor dents and I'm going to try to pound them out and refinish it.. I guess I can continue to post that work here. The whole thread has sort of wandered from one subject to another and anybody that has bothered to read it might want to follow along with the rest of the project.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

AHhhh yes , a man of many talents ........ Paint & Body work ... Don't forget the pic's , I'm here watchin your every step, ready to scrutinize every little detail.....( LOL ) ...:laughing: ...:laughing: ...:laughing: .. Boobala

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Body Work

OK, yesterday I hauled the hood off the Yardman and separated the grill portion. As you can see in the picture, it had a few small dents in it and the paint was damaged.

First you have to understand that my idea of "body work", consists of supporting the dented area over something immovable, (in this case a short section of RR track) then grabbing a ball pein hammer and beating the crap out of the dent until it's as close to the shape I want as possible. Once I got the dents fairly straight, I taped out the damaged area in a sort of "grill" shape and dusted some primer on the effected area so I could se any remaining bad spots. It wasn't bad, so I sanded the primer out where needed and applied a little Bondo to smooth any little ripples.

Today I'll sand down the Bondo and spray the new "grill" with flat black.. Maybe someday I'll do something fancier to the 'grill', but flat black will do for now. Why the rush you may well ask . . .????

Well!! Last night I got a call from Ichi Bon, Boy San (Number One Step-Son) who has a landscaping business and one of his customers has a lawn tractor with all sorts of attachments, and he can't keep the engine running, so he was going to junk the whole works! We'll be going to pick it all up on Saturday morning. That works out great as we were scheduled to cut down a large old apple tree and I was going to bring my trailer as I can have as much of the wood as is usable for lumber. Apple has a beautiful deep red colored center, with only a thin, lighter sap-wood area. If I get any decent logs I will take them to a mill and have rough planking sawn out. Then the boards will be 'stickered' to dry in my shop.

Attachments

• DSCN1767_730.jpg
    DSCN1767_730.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1768_731.jpg
    DSCN1768_731.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN1770_733.jpg
    DSCN1770_733.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 20

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
How do you EDIT posts!?!?!?

How about some pointers from somebody with experience at editing posts on this forum... OK, so I submit a post and even though I have reviewed it twice, after submitting it I discover a mistake, so I click on "Edit Post".. I have discovered that if I write too much, the entire post will not be displayed, only the top section... How do I edit portions that I can't see??? But lets say that my mistake was in the first sentence, so I go to it and make the necessary changes, then what do you do? There is no "Save" button, no "Submit" button, nothing! How in h#ll do you verify the correction???

Aggravating!!! :mad: :mad:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Body Work

OK, yesterday I hauled the hood off the Yardman and separated the grill portion. As you can see in the picture, it had a few small dents in it and the paint was damaged.

First you have to understand that my idea of "body work", consists of supporting the dented area over something immovable, (in this case a short section of RR track) then grabbing a ball pein hammer and beating the crap out of the dent until it's as close to the shape I want as possible. Once I got the dents fairly straight, I taped out the damaged area in a sort of "grill" shape and dusted some primer on the effected area so I could se any remaining bad spots. It wasn't bad, so I sanded the primer out where needed and applied a little Bondo to smooth any little ripples.

Today I'll sand down the Bondo and spray the new "grill" with flat black.. Maybe someday I'll do something fancier to the 'grill', but flat black will do for now. Why the rush you may well ask . . .????

Well!! Last night I got a call from Ichi Bon, Boy San (Number One Step-Son) who has a landscaping business and one of his customers has a lawn tractor with all sorts of attachments, and he can't keep the engine running, so he was going to junk the whole works! We'll be going to pick it all up on Saturday morning. That works out great as we were scheduled to cut down a large old apple tree and I was going to bring my trailer as I can have as much of the wood as is usable for lumber. Apple has a beautiful deep red colored center, with only a thin, lighter sap-wood area. If I get any decent logs I will take them to a mill and have rough planking sawn out. Then the boards will be 'stickered' to dry in my shop.

Nice big clean work area, some guys have it all .. I have a sand-lot ,a tree with a big branch and a heavy-duty rope , a shed which holds 5 pounds of S*** .. ( but being a flyboy and makin things compact like jet engines ... I managed to SQUEEEEZE 20 pounds into it ) AND ... I got a wife that I call 5 Horses ..( nag,nag,nag,nag,nag ) ALWAYS askin ... NOW whadda ya doin ?? When ya gonna finish that ?? ...when ya gonna finish this ?? She just does'nt understand ....these things take time ..... sometimes months, sometimes years !! ... ( LOL ) ..:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: How do you EDIT posts!?!?!?

How about some pointers from somebody with experience at editing posts on this forum... OK, so I submit a post and even though I have reviewed it twice, after submitting it I discover a mistake, so I click on "Edit Post".. I have discovered that if I write too much, the entire post will not be displayed, only the top section... How do I edit portions that I can't see??? But lets say that my mistake was in the first sentence, so I go to it and make the necessary changes, then what do you do? There is no "Save" button, no "Submit" button, nothing! How in h#ll do you verify the correction???

Aggravating!!! :mad: :mad:

I've had same problem... :smiley_aafz::smiley_aafz:..:mur::mur: ...Boobala