The Daily Yardman Thread

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Wife and I wanted to buy two of them for the horses to use as shelter, town officials would not sign the permit. They said I had to build a proper structure and with in the correct set back or I would have to file for a variance. I could have trucked them here for free, after all at the time I had a 2001 Western Star, and plenty of free time.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Wife and I wanted to buy two of them for the horses to use as shelter, town officials would not sign the permit. They said I had to build a proper structure and with in the correct set back or I would have to file for a variance. I could have trucked them here for free, after all at the time I had a 2001 Western Star, and plenty of free time.

I fully understand the idea of HOA's and city's requiring permits, Plain and simple ,.... YOU buy a nice affordable home,
you maintain it so it looks good, and " fits the neighborhood " then one day a neighbor sells & moves , the NEW owners are living like the poorest people of a third world country , and possibly don't care about their home & how it looks ..
Wellllllll there goes the neighborhood !! You get the idea !

But out in a rural area NON-HOA most folks have a good size lot or acreage ,and the neighborhood is relaxed with
things like boats, campers , motor-homes, tractors, farm eqpt., even aircraft !! Most people living in these are tolerant of their neighbors "stuff" unless of course it begins to look like a county dump or plain out ..schitt-hole ! I moved to a rural area because I got tired of the grid-lock traffic, the rise in drug related crime, and a change AWAY from American culture and several other annoying issues, for space, and the slower lifestyle out here I love it . Permits are necessary up to a point ! making sure people are living safely IS important, ... we don't want those folks with just enough knowledge to be dangerous, .. wiring places that will burn down or people with sewage going into the back-yard or river ,
but when permit prices are used to gain money for the city coffers that's PURE BULLSCHITT !!! permit funds should pay for the salaries of city zoning / property inspectors, NOT the mayor's kid's college tuition and Mercedes !!

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

That's the funny part, I do live in the country, or as much country as you can find in jersey, we don't have an HOA, but we do have a busy body Mayor's wife who reports everything to the board and sticks her nose in everyone's business. I have 5 acres, live a country road that leads to state run land, surrounded by 900 acres of federal game land, and a private golf course. The Mayor lives on the other side of the golf course and can see the back half of my property including the horses and my stash of farm tractors..........they are a huge PITA, constantly trying to put new ordinances before the board, like last month they wanted a ban on dog barking for more than 15 minutes, and no dog houses visible from any town street.

Well, anyway we built a nice barn and a run in shed just like they wanted

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

OK DOC, .....I'll try to remember the name !!
When I lived in S.Fl. I moved into this Mobile Home Park. I was there about a month all was nice and quiet. I had a
10x45 raised slab in front of my "new" home , I was going through all the hoops of adding on a screened porch (which it did have until a hurricane made some "remodeling-improvements" ( LOL ) well after about a month or so of decisions and squabbling with contractors & prices etc. I find out it CANNOT be "attached" to the home in any way. The zoning & permit department decided that if it's unattached ,in a storm it wont try to take the main structure away with it .
Good thinking! BUT if the "addition" is made a part of the main "home" and the entire structure is re-inforced beyond code requirements would'nt that be acceptable ..?? $#@% NO !!! Man I went round N round with those *>%#E$#@W#for weeks! NO WAY Jose ! Of course, ... I said to hell with it. OH boy did I have an ATTITUDE after that fiasco.

Sometime a bit after that, the "busy-body neighborhood GOSSIP" ... who just happened to live directly across from
me, (used to just wave & say HY! to her & her husband) I was still trying to settle in with a new job, new living
quarters getting to "know neighborhood locations of places etc. " I'm washing my car and she comes over and says
I should park my car on the driveway to wash it NOT on the lawn. I explained since I pay a high price for water & I water my lawn with a hose ( no sprinkler system in park except in Common areas ) I was letting the water, .. water the lawn while washing my car. She said parking on the lawn looked trashy, I smiled and said You're absolutely right,
I think I'll stop watering the lawn, let it die and let it look like DOGSCHITT while I save money , Thank You very much !
so I moved the car to the driveway , and finished the task there , as she & her husband sat on their front porch
contemplating my remarks. Now the FUN part, about a week later another friend of hers as they were walkin past my place she asked why I bought a NEW shed but the color did NOT match my house ( see pics) SO I explained I wanted a particular model with METAL framing , this was available at a reduced price because it was an order cancellation,
I need the shed ASAP. I had tool-boxes and a Generator etc. in the house I NEEDED THAT SHED , so I took it instead of waiting another month at a higher price . I did'nt mind the color difference. Then the GOSSIP piped in , ARE you
going to paint your shutters ... ??? They are faded and look hideous ! I could'nt belive I was being bullied by these
two gossip mongers !! I didnt say anything , just smiled and winked at them. THAT WAS IT ... REVENGE was on my mind. I went to Home Depot and bought a gallon of paint, late that evening I removed all the shutters and moved
them to my back yard , after a few days of painting with an AMAZING EYE-POPPING ORANGE I waited till nite-time when all the park was settling in for the night I went and re-installed my brightly colored shutters !! That morning when she looked out her window at my place I think she SCHITT in her shorts !! I never saw so much traffic pass down our street as did that day ! For the next several years SHE never said anything more to me until I put up MY For Sale sign.
As she was walking by with several friends I smiled and said Your prayers have been answered , Im selling, AND
by the way.. I think your NEW neighbors belong to a motorcycle club , ENJOY !! See pics enclosed....SORRY bout the "NOVEL" sometimes ya just NEED a lil REVENGE to put a smile on YOUR face , ..:laughing: ..:thumbsup:

DSCN1010 (Medium).JPG...DSCN0289 (Medium).JPG...100_0709 (Medium).JPG
10-meg-Kodak 074 (Medium).jpg...DSCN1010 (Medium).JPG...DSCN0289 (Medium).JPG100_0709 (Medium).JPG

had problems uploading pics, sorry bout the outcome , ......

Last edited:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

I like the orange shutters

I also smiled when I read about the biker dudes buying the house....LOL

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I like the orange shutters

I also smiled when I read about the biker dudes buying the house....LOL

The wifey recently did a Real Estate Co. walk through the Park , ...the shutters are STILL orange !!!!
Ah yes, paybacks are hell !!!!
if ya ever get to Home Depot, go to the paint dept, IF they still have the BEHR brand paint "chips" look a # S-G-320
AKA = Atomic Tangerine !! ( actually it resembles the yellow/orange lines on roadways ) ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

LMFAO

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

But, it don't bother me at all what title I might be bestowed with here on the SPECIAL BUS.

Well, Willy-Russ-Doc, you had me rolling on the deck over that one! That is the perfect description of what has been created here! Welcome aboard the "Special Bus"! We need all the contributing members we can get!

I've got a buddy down in the Florida Keys that ran a heavy wrecker for years. He still drives part time now and he's dang near as old as I am.. Can you imagine the traffic jambs he created hooking up a dead semi in the middle of the Seven Mile bridge?

I went on a short run with him last winter when we were down there visiting for a few days. Now he just drives a rig that you can winch a vehicle up onto the bed of and haul it away. I don't know what the proper "nomenclature" for that kind of wrecker is.

After you've been retired for a while, eventually, you will get over that "missing it" feeling, like Boo says, you'll be too damn busy to think about how busy you 'used-to-be' back when you were working for a living. I have finally advanced to an even better point in life, where I realize that I really don't have to fix and do everything that nobody else seems to have the time for and although I don't think I'll ever be someone who can just sit back and relax doing nothing, I find myself less 'engaged' with everyone else's problems than I was just a short while ago..

In any event - Enjoy!!

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

I am one of the guys that reads every post all the time. I never miss one. It is one of those things I just have to do. I have read every post on this forum.

Chuckster!

I'm not certain that reading every single post on this forum is good for anyone's mental health! I guess as long as you can read it and then sit back and laugh a little and say, "What a bunch of idiots!" Then you'd be OK...

I had to laugh at Boo-Boo's orange shutters! He is not a man to be trifled with! Vindictive bugger! I tease him all the time, but I often worry about waking up and finding a horses head in bed with me, know what I mean?

We have rain again today, but we went out and hauled traps early (0530) as it was slack tide then. Lousy day, with only two keepers, but we had eleven keepers the day before yesterday! We are keeping large crabs now too. Some friend of Bill's wants them and say he'll pick out the meat and share it 50/50.. I suspect he has never picked crabs before. It is time consuming as hell and would be worth more like 75/25. I expect he'll figure that out quickly enough!

So, besides your undying interest in lawnmowers, what else 'floats your boat"?

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Paint Story

Seeing how Boo-Boo has got us thinking about paint, especially inappropriate colors of paint, it reminded me of when I was teaching at FLTASWSCOL SDIEGO back in the early 70's. It was coming up on Christmas and the students had special liberty, but the instructors had to come in every day and they wanted us to paint our classrooms. So I went to my boss (an E-8 Sonarman) and asked what color he wanted me to paint my classroom. His exact words were, "I don't care what color you paint it! Paint it titty-pink if you want!" He shudda known better.... But, I didn't paint it pink, I painted it yellow, which had to be mixed at the paint shop and came out a 'little' brighter than I thought it would. I painted the trim gloss black and my students called it "The Electric Banana Room" from then on.. Sorry I don't have any pictures.. Wish I did!

Roger