The Daily Yardman Thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Y'all consider yourselves fortunate that y'all don't have to involve government in y'all's projects.

I attempted to start the ball rolling in order to upgrade my shop electrical panel
and move the service from overhead to underground.
What a ROYAL PIA..........

The code department wants the new panel installed and wired before they will inspect.
Then, the power company will schedule the actual trenching,wiring and turning the power back on.
Trouble is, it may take over a week between the inspection and the performance of the work.
I would hate to be without power for that long...........maybe I should take a vacation after the inspection (but, I'm
sure that would halt the process.........)

And, as I want to pass inspection on the first attempt, I had code questions.
BUT, the man I need to see is gone for the day. I can't call him; rather, I had to set an appointment for Monday!

Your local government: working "with" you to protect yourself from yourself in spite of yourself.......

Know how that goes.
Down here they have banned fuses so you have to wire in breakers.
They have also made ground leakage isolation switches manditory.
So I got the old house inspected as an office & workshop and the first electrician told me he needed to replace the fuse box for a cost of $ 3000.
We had replaced all of the old rusty steel water pipes with plastic so they could not start work till we fitted a ground spike as down here the water pipes are used for grounding the power supply.
However it is illegal to fit a new ground spike to an old box with fuses.
We pointed out that the workshop has a 4 wire 3 phase supply , the 4th wire being a common ground and in a factory grounding is done by that wire.
The reply was this offically a decommissioned dwelling so has to comply with residential regulations.
Solution, I changed suppliers to a discount online reseller who had no ground crew and they simply sent out a contractor to replace the main supply fuse.

As for other services, the landlords new house is about 500 yards away from this one & when he asked for a telephone connection the phone company decided that he had to run the wire form the other side of the farm.
So that meant digging a 2 mile trench & installing a private pole to connect to a phone line that goes out every time the river rises to full height.
Cost was going to be $ 65,000.
Solution was to leave the phone line connected to here and fit a microwave link between here & there, total cost $ 450.

Power to the new house was similar so he bought an old diesel generator ( from a mine ) and installed that for the builders to use and had the house wired for both mains & generator power which was fine while the house was being built.
However when it came time to connect to the grid, the power company insisted he connect via overhead wiring with 40' steel poles because this is in a flood plain and bushfire region.
That would have been 5 poles at $ 6,000 each, so he spent $12,000 on a solar system, problem solved except the power authority ( government department ) demanded to do an inspection to confirm he did not have a connection to the grid.
They then condemned the connection to the shed ( which I did ) because it did not comply with wiring regulations for the grid, that it was not connected to

NorthBama

Threads
Re: TODAY 9/30/17

I don't want to hear any more bitching about cool weather from you guys down South! The nice, warm, Indian Summer weather you guys have been sending up here has suddenly quit! It's 47 degrees here this morning with a decent breeze blowing and I have to go out and haul lobster traps at 8:15 AM. I'm going to have to wear something extra under my Grundens today!

Eat Lobster! Wear Grundens! https://shop.grundens.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-aTg2eLM1gIVRySGCh1DJwafEAAYASAAEgI3MvD_BwE

I'm gettin' too damn old for this schitt!!

Roger

Roger

Sounds like you need to pack up your fishing grundens and head south. Its a nice day here started out in low 60s and going up to around 80 with a nice breeze. i like it not complaining today

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

had them in my shop, worked well, but a pain when the ballasts would fail. Always had to put someone on the fork lift and raise them up for the repair. I have all LED in my house and my garage.......you can spot a flea on the back of a fly it's so bright in the garage

What LED fixtures did you use in the garage overhead? Just regular troffers with the new LED tube lights that look like T-8 fluorescent lamps? I haven't found anywhere I can buy those 'right'.

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

I think this is the only photo I have of the bug, or at least that I could find this morning...LOL

it's not the reason for the photo though, I was taking pictures of an engine that I have listed on farmtrader magazine
View attachment 34349

Doc,

You got W-A-Y too much schitt!

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

My guesstimate of 111,111 views is lookin better each day ... ( LOL ) ..

View attachment 34350

Glad ya got your pump workin Rog, at least you'll sleep better, sometimes CHEAPER is NOT just as good, lessons learned !!

Thanks Boo,

You're right, there are places where a guy can save money and other places where he shouldn't even try.. I've been schooled!

We'll be crusin' the Withlacoochee or the Rainbow again before long.. Stumpknockers has great Cajun food! And I love the Cuban sandwiches at the Blue Gator.. Come hungry buddy!

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

As for the hassle, it really is not due to the power company. Rather, code enforcement is causing the most difficulty (read: bureaucratic red tape.)

Ron,

Up here 811 is just called "Dig Safe" and we have to deal with them too! The only people I liked harassing more than the power company were Code Enforcement Officers, most of whom don't know how to wipe their own arse, never mind how to run cables or do plumbing and such... I had one once tell me he was going to have my license pulled.. I told him, "Well, you might be able to, "IF" you were right, but unfortunately you aren't." I never heard anything more about it.. It's hard to beat an old boy at his own game.. I ran my own company and had a Masters License for almost 40 years. (Well, only 36 to be honest..)

All the same I hope everything goes well for you. Sometimes you just have to play their game, but I always did love finding a way around it..

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Know how that goes.
Down here they have banned fuses so you have to wire in breakers.
They have also made ground leakage isolation switches manditory.
So I got the old house inspected as an office & workshop and the first electrician told me he needed to replace the fuse box for a cost of $ 3000.
We had replaced all of the old rusty steel water pipes with plastic so they could not start work till we fitted a ground spike as down here the water pipes are used for grounding the power supply.
However it is illegal to fit a new ground spike to an old box with fuses.
We pointed out that the workshop has a 4 wire 3 phase supply , the 4th wire being a common ground and in a factory grounding is done by that wire.
The reply was this offically a decommissioned dwelling so has to comply with residential regulations.
Solution, I changed suppliers to a discount online reseller who had no ground crew and they simply sent out a contractor to replace the main supply fuse.

As for other services, the landlords new house is about 500 yards away from this one & when he asked for a telephone connection the phone company decided that he had to run the wire form the other side of the farm.
So that meant digging a 2 mile trench & installing a private pole to connect to a phone line that goes out every time the river rises to full height.
Cost was going to be $ 65,000.
Solution was to leave the phone line connected to here and fit a microwave link between here & there, total cost $ 450.

Power to the new house was similar so he bought an old diesel generator ( from a mine ) and installed that for the builders to use and had the house wired for both mains & generator power which was fine while the house was being built.
However when it came time to connect to the grid, the power company insisted he connect via overhead wiring with 40' steel poles because this is in a flood plain and bushfire region.
That would have been 5 poles at $ 6,000 each, so he spent $12,000 on a solar system, problem solved except the power authority ( government department ) demanded to do an inspection to confirm he did not have a connection to the grid.
They then condemned the connection to the shed ( which I did ) because it did not comply with wiring regulations for the grid, that it was not connected to

Bert-Man,

Not only does it sound as though you are saddled with horrendous prices, but a burdensome amount of regulations to go along with it! I loved it that you were able (in most cases) to find another way to 'skin that cat', so to speak.

Even with the Aus $ only being worth $.78/US you're still getting whacked pretty hard. Was the new circuit breaker panel to be a 40-circuit, 200-amp, single phase box?

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger

Sounds like you need to pack up your fishing grundens and head south. Its a nice day here started out in low 60s and going up to around 80 with a nice breeze. i like it not complaining today

James, you are right! The high today is supposed to be 57, but tomorrow is suppose to be warmer. I had two sweat shirts on under my Grunden overalls, but I still have a hard time keeping my fingers warm. I got a couple of them on each hand tangles up with rapidly rotating machinery and although they are still attached to me, they now get cold very easily.

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN0166_098.jpg
    DSCN0166_098.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 3

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

As I am dealing with only 4 circuits in the existing panel, I suppose it won't be a big deal to wire the new box for the code inspection,
then rewire to the old panel til the power company comes out to change the service.
It is just a bit aggravating...........

Just like the sale of my old house in Fla (which was on the market for 19 months without a nibble,then BAM! a full price offer and sale...,)
I will ultimately look back on this and say"it was a hassle, but worth it and it is behind me now."

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

James, you are right! The high today is supposed to be 57, but tomorrow is suppose to be warmer. I had two sweat shirts on under my Grunden overalls, but I still have a hard time keeping my fingers warm. I got a couple of them on each hand tangles up with rapidly rotating machinery and although they are still attached to me, they now get cold very easily.

Roger
OUCH