The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Yessirree..........
I have learned many things here and enjoy the banter.
Most of the members are very helpful and willing to share their knowledge.
I am more than willing to respond in kind with what little I know.
I do, sometimes, allow a tad of sarcasm escape.........

Ahhhhh Ron! I see Boo-Boo has already invited you aboard, I should have read ahead a little further before commenting.. However, I would like to point out that he did leave one thing off the list of requirements for you to join, not only do we want all your assets of any monetary value, but any female members of your immediate family as well!! There are no specifics regarding them as we will accept any from eight to eighty, crippled, blind or crazy..

Thank you,

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Everytime I see these crashes, I can't believe the drivers in ALMOST all of these, survive !! These latest racing machines (including some high-speed boats) are designed to take the impacts, and protect the occupant(s). I thought, as many others did, that Dixon was dead after his INDY car turned into "bite-size" pieces when it got airborne into the fence earlier this year. Now THAT is good engineering ! Of course, in ALMOST all racing incidents, the vehicles are most often going in the same direction, and the "tracks" or course is usually void of very close obstructions. It's a shame that it's cost prohibitive, and such an entry/exit ritual ,that it's practically not feasible for passenger vehicles.

here's another ..eye-opener !

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/...hmidt-peterson-motorsports-honda-inv-12971504

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7dG9UlzeFM

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sand Blasting Cabinet

After lengthy consideration and on-line research, I decided to purchase a blast cabinet from Harbor Freight. They offer a couple of them, one comes with legs and a light inside and another has no legs and no light. As the light inside the (more expensive) unit is universally despised and considered useless by nearly 100% of those people who bought one and as I have a supply of perforated, right-angle steel to make a base with - (and as I'm certain you have determined by now, I'm cheap!!) I bought the legless and lightless unit with a coupon for under $100.00!

However!! Be advised that there are two item numbers for this cabinet, 42202 and 62454. If you decided to buy one, make certain that you get item number 62454, for reasons I will explain in a moment. You can't just call your local Harbor Freight and ask if they have a 62454 in stock, because that number will cross reference to 42202 and they will say, "Yes." You have to make them check and see if they actually have a 62454 in stock with that number on the box.

Now, why specify a 62454 rather than a 42202? If you read a couple hundred reviews of these cabinets you will discover they have a number of short comings.. (Hey, it's Harbor Freight stuff - Right?) The majority of these problems have been addressed in the 62454 model which is actually built in a different factory than the 42202. The most noticeable difference you can see, are the two door latches on the front of the 62454, the 42202 only has one. Also the 62454 comes with it's seams sealed with silicone seal and they supply you with a whole tube of the stuff to boot!

After calling all three Harbor Freight stores in Maine (and considering calling several more in New Hampshire) I discovered the Bangor store had a 62454 in stock and that they would hold it for me. Bangor is nearly as far from me as Boston is, but off we went to make a day of it.. . . . 'Mother' decided to come along, but we had to stop at a fabric store.

After I got home and unpacked my new 'toy', I discovered one corner was stove-in and the top had a slight dent - (Hey, it's Harbor Freight stuff - Right?) I pushed the corner back out with a small hydraulic jack and then using a dolly and a hammer smoothed it into shape. The dent only required a swift whack with a rubber mallet.

I was surprised at how high it needed to sit in order for my arms to easily access the rubber gloves and then work inside the cabinet. I built a stand that positioned the cabinet 29-1/2" off the floor. (I would have gone 30" but it has to fit under an existing shelf and the door wouldn't have opened.

The unit comes with the built-in gloves, a blasting gun, with four ceramic nozzles and it's pickup tube. There is also a hole and a 2-1/2" connector for dust collection. Unfortunately standard 2-1/2" hose fittings do not fit tightly into this connector. (Hey, it's Harbor Freight schitt - Right?) other than that there are plugs for the air intake opening (in the back, directed by an internal baffle) and other openings should you decide not to use them, as well as rubber grommets for an air line and a wire for a light.

The viewing window comes with two protective self-adhering films, one of which is already applied.

I've got the stand all built and now have to find a light fixture in my junk that will work, wire that up and then plumb it for HP air and dust collection.

Here is the unit itself: https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...Featured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=blast+cabinet

It will hold 30 lbs of blasting media and I bought a 25 lb box of glass bead media. (I had another coupon!)

I'll post a picture if I ever get it all finished.

Roger

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks y'all for the warm welcome!
I'll mostly watch from the sidelines and toss in my $.02 when I got something to say....

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Sand Blasting Cabinet

Well Rog this is what we had at the Aircraft Parts/OH shop I worked at, 2 of them, (and we needed both) one we used for PLASTIC bead media, used for aluminum parts (low press settings) and steel parts (high press settings) paint/corrosion removal. The 2nd machine was the METAL oxide, media, machine, we used it mostly to remove chrome-plating, black-oxide, cadmium and other plating materials. Both machines running at top press. settings would tax the hell out of compressors they had PREVIOUSLY had, shop did an addition to the compressors room (located outside,with sound deadening walls ,and got 6 new compressors) (all linked to a 1,000 Gal. storage tank) that took care of that problem and also supplied the full car size paint-booth we had. I really did'nt realize how many things about a blast cabinet had to be considered. Sizes of hoses, filters, nozzle size/material etc. etc. asked the H.M.F.W.I.C. what the final cost was... with all the equipment required to maintain the 2 machines and associated equipment required by the (@*^%$#@-) E.P.A., about 18 GRAND !!

1536~1_R_1eb13f03.jpg...Blast cabinet.jpg

Man do I miss those machines, Shop people were allowed to use for PERSONAL use after work or SOMETIMES on a Sat. ( within reasonable limits ) a few guys did their car parts, boat parts, even engine blocks, REALLY handy plus we had use of the other shop facilities as well.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

good morning folks! off to work on the horse selter before the rain gets here today. Have a door to repair and a ramp to repair..good for a few hours at least.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Sand Blasting Cabinet

Well Rog this is what we had at the Aircraft Parts/OH shop I worked at
Man do I miss those machines, Shop people were allowed to use for PERSONAL use after work or SOMETIMES on a Sat. ( within reasonable limits ) a few guys did their car parts, boat parts, even engine blocks, REALLY handy plus we had use of the other shop facilities as well.

Boo,

That was a HUGE mother! I only wanted one for small parts, but I'm still concerned about my Air Compressor's ability to keep up with the demand. It says for continuous use I need 10 cfm @ 100 psi. My compressor is capable of 150 psi, but only puts out 4.6 cfm at 90 psi continuous. However, I 'hope' with small parts, I'd only be using it in short bursts. Also, if I use one of the smaller nozzles the demand is reduced. Time will tell.

Now I need a bunch of parts to complete the project.

Rog

PS. It looks like we will be back down in your neck of the woods again this winter.. Start planning!!!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tupelo Honey

Thanks y'all for the warm welcome!
I'll mostly watch from the sidelines and toss in my $.02 when I got something to say....

Ron,

I have a question for you. I am like a black bear, in that I LOVE honey! And my favorite honey is Tupelo, which comes from flowering tupelo trees which only grow in swamps that stretch across from Northern Florida, into Mississippi. For some reason over the last three years, the bees haven't been able to collect as much nectar from tupelo trees as they have in the past and the cost of Tupelo Honey had damn near doubled! I was wondering if you know any apiarist involved in gathering tupelo honey and how their Spring went this year?

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Right now we gettin ready for "IRMA" damn sure going to get effects of it no matter which way it goes, we keep a Hurricane box of stuff handy, and go through it each season and restore whats needed, living in the forest is almost a good thing, as the trees do tend to kill the intensity of the winds, last year our neighbor lost his carport, but it was a piss-poor installation in the first place. Just glad it didn't get totally airborne, and fly over here, his Ins. replaced it and this time it was checked by code-enforcement, that made the installers add extra strengthening plates and supports. Good-deal !! Wifey gets all Jervis & Nerky when the wind starts howling through the trees like in an ol horror movie, I get that way when I see things airborne, that shouldn't be outside without being tied down ... Well things to do yet, later guys........ Boo