The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
HOW WE GOT TO HERE !!

Every so often, I go back to the very first post on this thread started by Roger, A.K.A. Goomba, Rog, and up to and including ...#@%+*&*7%$ and @#=+-_(%$#@ plus many, many, others too numerous to mention. It's interesting ( to me, .. anyway) this group of guys came together to try to help a perfect stranger we never saw in person, or never even spoke to. It's been ALMOST a full year now.... and here (I feel like we've known each other for many years) we are today sharing out thoughts, lives, insults and laughs, with each other (and the world) I wonder sometimes what THEY think about this thread ...??? ..:laughing: ..:laughing: But I'm so thankful for the great group of guys I've come to admire and give me a friendship that I enjoy going to everyday !! I love you guys for all you do, to help the members of this site, AND each other !! AS I was reading from the beginning posts I ran across some pics ( of Roger's machine) that actually was the catalyst that brought us all together !!

DSCN1758_723.jpg...DSCN1759_724.jpg...DSCN1763_726.jpg

I think you guys will get a smile on your face as I did, and a rush of GREAT memories !! ENJOY !!

MY SPECIAL THANKS to RogerB, (@%*&$#@) Blaznt (Chuck), Pumper54 (Tom), Bertsmobile1 ( Trev),
Primerbulb120 (Clyde) , Russ (Willys55) , James Lewcious -?? ( NorthBama)

Last edited:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: HOW WE GOT TO HERE !!

Every so often, I go back to the very first post on this thread started by Roger, A.K.A. Goomba, Rog, and up to and including ...#@%+*&*7%$ and @#=+-_(%$#@ plus many, many, others too numerous to mention. It's interesting ( to me, .. anyway) this group of guys came together to try to help a perfect stranger we never saw in person, or never even spoke to. It's been ALMOST a full year now.... and here (I feel like we've known each other for many years) we are today sharing out thoughts, lives, insults and laughs, with each other (and the world) I wonder sometimes what THEY think about this thread ...??? ..:laughing: ..:laughing: But I'm so thankful for the great group of guys I've come to admire and give me a friendship that I enjoy going to everyday !! I love you guys for all you do, to help the members of this site, AND each other !! AS I was reading from the beginning posts I ran across some pics ( of Roger's machine) that actually was the catalyst that brought us all together !!

View attachment 33830...View attachment 33831...View attachment 33832

I think you guys will get a smile on your face as I did, and a rush of GREAT memories !! ENJOY !!
.....................................................................................................................................................

There is an even more "human" element to all this that Boo has failed to mention! Last winter while Becky and I were escaping the rigors of Maine's weather, we stayed in a forgotten part of Florida's 'Nature Coast' which we discovered isn't far from where Boo-Boo calls home. One thing led to another and Boo-Boo along with his wife Linda met up with Becky and me. We had several meetings at different locations over the three months we were there, took them out for boat rides and haunted flea markets and favorite restaurants together.

We tried to lure Tom into the brotherhood of those thread members who have actually met, but unfortunately his schedule was too tight during his "Four Corner" Motorcycle Tour of the USA. (Well, either that, or Boo-Boo told him lies about me!!)

Anyway, Boo and I have met face to face, shook hands and even put the differences of our military past behind us.. (I 'guess' the Air Force is considered to be "military"...) That friendship along with the guys who have hung around here and contributed to the daily comments and added their personalities to the thread, are what has made this special and obviously interesting to far more people than we ever considered possible.

I offer my thanks to everyone concerned and encourage any of you to get together if the opportunity presents itself. It is well worth it!

Best to all...........

Roger

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Bertman, hang on to that memory brother.. .. If .. .. .. (BIG "IF") .. .. .. life goes well, you may get to retire and return to that river bank and do some more fishing. I will readily admit that I doubt you will be able to drop out of the daily work scene directly into full retirement, most of us workhorses have trouble with that at first. (I tired to retire twice and then finally just gave in to working at whatever came along) - BUT! - I do go fishing, hunting, whatever, when the feeling or opportunity arises.

It occurs to me that someone needs to open a parts store in the land of OZ that carries parts for whatever the most common machines from the US are down your way. It would be a good business and you wouldn't be the one scratching his head when you ran into something that just wouldn't "fix"!

Good luck and keep swearing, it's good for the soul...

Roger

Down here because the market is so small most mower companies use a franchise agent.
Most of them are Melbourne based and three men control around the lot.
When ever one becomes available they outbid each other ( who has the biggest balls ) so over pay for the rights then gouge the customers to recoup the excess they paid for the franchise rights.
We believe in a "free market" but are happy to tie the market up with exclusive franchise rights.
Thus I pay 4 times in $ A for whatever parts that are available.
John Deer parts are 1/2 the price of all other mowers if that gives you the idea of it because they have their own warehouse & distribution system.
Then they only bring in what they want to so for instance I buy 42" AYP deflector chutes for $ 16 US, made by Stens from Jacks Small Engines because Stens in Aust won't carry them.
You get 4 into a $ 50 postal box, with a lot of small light parts like AYP wheel bearing cups ( $ 9 A ) or $ 1.50 US . The yellow Deer ones are $ 3.50 for a comparison.
From Husqvana the chutes are $ 75, Craftsman $ 68 , Poulan $ 63 and I would have to wait at least 2 weeks for delivery.
MTD only deliver to their shops once a month for free other wise there is a $ 75 delivery fee.
Stihl will only process orders above $ 8,000 so I have to ring around a dozen shops to find out who is about to place an order.

Right now I am trying to find an economical way to get a full gasket set for a GX 670 into the country.
Same gaskets GX 610 - 620 - 670 - 690 so one would think they would be available.
Where as every one carries the 120 & 160 gasket sets but most customers will not pay for their push mowers to be fixed, if it requires the head coming off.
The kits look like coming from China $ 6 if I buy 50 or more.
I do a lot of this sort of stuff then flog 40 off on evilbay but I have to be a bit careful so as not to get my wholesalers off side.
Then they bitch at me complaining that I am not buying enough parts from them.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

Not that I wish anything bad to happen to Heavy Hauler Willy, but may I suggest "anal seepage"? A devastating condition, especially when occurring in coincidence with 'gas'... He'd never be able to leave the house again and would have to live in Depends!

Rog

:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:..:laughing: ..:laughing:
Oh YEAH !! Goomba, ...YOU !! are a man of many things, DISASTEROUS !!! I LOVE IT !!

Doc , ...YOUR just rewards will soon be realized !! :laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where we go next!!!

Speaking of Tom, (Pumper 54) - I have to jump ahead to this coming winter when hopefully (Lord willin' and the creek don't rise) Becky and I will once again seek warmer weather, only this time we are headed for the Gulf Coast of Texas..

My old Corpsman (also known as a "Chancre Mechanic"), who's actual nickname on the boats was either "Old Weird Harold", or "Fat Quack" happens to live in Conroe, Texas which isn't that far from where Tom resides. Currently, myself along with a couple crew members from LA, (no NorthBama, I don't mean "Lower Alabama") and maybe another guy from Iowa are planning to get together with Harold at the Seawolf Park in Galveston. The park was named for a US Submarine lost during WWII and the USS Cavalla is a museum submarine there. Perfect place for old submarine sailors to get together, right?

Assuming all that comes together, I'd like to invite Tom to come on down to the coast where I can shake his hand and tell him lies about Boo-Boo... LOL...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

We'll make something work, on way or another...

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

bertsmobile1;273795I do a lot of this sort of stuff then flog 40 off on evilbay but I have to be a bit careful so as not to get my wholesalers off side. Then they bitch at me complaining that I am not buying enough parts from them.[/QUOTE said:
Trev,

I shortened up your quote, just to make a point... It must be wicked expensive to live down there!?!?!?

I assume Foster's is cheap enough.. Yes???

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

.....................................................................................................................................................

There is an even more "human" element to all this that Boo has failed to mention! Last winter while Becky and I were escaping the rigors of Maine's weather, we stayed in a forgotten part of Florida's 'Nature Coast' which we discovered isn't far from where Boo-Boo calls home. One thing led to another and Boo-Boo along with his wife Linda met up with Becky and me. We had several meetings at different locations over the three months we were there, took them out for boat rides and haunted flea markets and favorite restaurants together.

We tried to lure Tom into the brotherhood of those thread members who have actually met, but unfortunately his schedule was too tight during his "Four Corner" Motorcycle Tour of the USA. (Well, either that, or Boo-Boo told him lies about me!!)

Anyway, Boo and I have met face to face, shook hands and even put the differences of our military past behind us.. (I 'guess' the Air Force is considered to be "military"...) That friendship along with the guys who have hung around here and contributed to the daily comments and added their personalities to the thread, are what has made this special and obviously interesting to far more people than we ever considered possible.

I offer my thanks to everyone concerned and encourage any of you to get together if the opportunity presents itself. It is well worth it!

Best to all...........

Roger

UHHH EXCUUUUSE ME ROGER !!
"put ALL our military differences BEHIND us ..??? I think not ... you Spam-Canner, whale-dung eatin swabbie !! I'm still searching for a SUPER-FANTASTIC "comeback" to YOUR famous line .." There are more AIRPLANES in the ocean, than SUBMARINES in the sky" ...AND you can rest assured, knowing I will search EVERY nook and cranny HIGH & LOW until the Fat-Lady sings to find it !! ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Trev,

I shortened up your quote, just to make a point... It must be wicked expensive to live down there!?!?!?

I assume Foster's is cheap enough.. Yes???

Rog

You can not get Fosters in Australia.
It is an export only beer made by Carlton & United Breweries which was bough out by a South African conglomerate a few years back.
Beer is actually more expensive than wine but SWMBO can not drink so I only do it when I am out with the boys.
Coopers is the only major beer made by an Australian company and their sales went up 2000 % when Carlton sold out
Some stuff is very expensive some stuff is very cheap.
Where there is real competition mark ups are a touch lower.
Fresh food is cheaper as is meat.
A beer is about $ 3 for a can.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

$3.00 is what we pay for a beer at a pub. We get a 24 pack from store for $18 to $20.

I have always know that most beer imported to the US is what locals think is trash. I do not really drink beer anyway but a good Crown and Coke is very good.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

UHHH EXCUUUUSE ME ROGER !!
"put ALL our military differences BEHIND us ..??? I think not ... you Spam-Canner, whale-dung eatin swabbie !! I'm still searching for a SUPER-FANTASTIC "comeback" to YOUR famous line .." There are more AIRPLANES in the ocean, than SUBMARINES in the sky" ...AND you can rest assured, knowing I will search EVERY nook and cranny HIGH & LOW until the Fat-Lady sings to find it !! ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Ahhhh you old fly-boy, you couldn't find yer own arse with both hands!!!

By the by, whale dung is GOOD!! A little soy sauce with chopped garlic and ginger... MMMm, Mmmm Good! (Fishy maybe, but good!)

RB