Spicer 4360-79 5 speed transaxle slips

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The shift keys sides at the bump will wear and get a taper to them which will lead to jumping under load. The sides are about straight up and down on new keys.

mikec35

Threads
Going back into this transaxle this weekend. I found new keys, they look pretty much the same as the keys I took out, I can't really see any wear other than a tiny bit at the tip of one of the keys. All the gears look good, the axle spline and lock rings look good... kinda really stumped here. I found a new 4360-149 transaxle on ebay for $139. Is there a transaxle cross reference that would tell me if this would work? Dimensions look the same and my current 4360-79, only difference I can see by looking at the picture is the 4360-149 has a backup safety switch and mine does not. It says its for a John Deere and my mower is a Craftsman. Of course I would love to fix my transaxle if anyone can give me something else to look at, otherwise I might try to adapt the one on ebay... All advice welcome! Thanks, Mike

chance123

Threads
I'm not familiar with your transaxle, but some that I "have" seen, have their wheel hubs on a splined axle. The hubs are usually a softer material than the axle (cast iron). If your's is like what I mentioned, check the hub or input shaft pulley for stripped splines.

Did you ever check this out? Jumping out of gear, and "slipping" as you mentioned, are 2 different things. There is nothing in the trans that can slip. If something in the trans were bad, it would be more dramatic than a simple slip.

mikec35

Threads
Chance, My wheels have a key, no splines... I also checked the drive pulley and gears on the transaxle and the pulley on the motor... all seemed ok. Thanks

snapsstorer

Threads
Do the keys wear or do they lose their spring? I really can't see anything wrong with the gear teeth or other parts in the transaxle. Is there an online repair manual or troubleshooting guide for these transaxles? Thanks for all the advice..Mike

try "freemanualsonline", you will need to know the brand, model #, and maybe the serial # for it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I asked this back in the beginning, how do the inside if the gears look? This is where the keys lock in. If they are worn, the keys will not catch and the gears will free wheel. Also, does it jump out of all gears or just certain ones?

chance123

Threads
I just thought of something
On some of the peerless teansmissions there is an allen screw on the outside. Behind this allen screw is a spring and a small ball. I just did a repair where this spring was broken. The spring pushes the small ball bearing into detents on the shifter shaft. without these detents working it will tend to slip out of gear. Still though, this would only cause it to jump out of gear. "not slip"

mikec35

Threads
I bought a trans axle off ebay, $68 incl shipping. Works fine, although one axle is a little warped (seller didn't mention_imagine that)...anyways it works fine but the tractor will not roll in neutral. If you put the gear shift in neutral while running it doesn't move and gears R thru 5 work fine. Any suggestions oh how to make it roll in neutral? Thx