Spicer 4360-79 5 speed transaxle slips

mikec35

Threads
I first noticed it in high gears, now it does it in all gears. Seems to slip like the teeth on the transaxle gears are stripped, but I opened the case and all the teeth look good, axles are staying in place. The chain seems like it might be a little loose but not enough to cause the trans to slip. Not sure where to go from here. Any good info out there on how to diagnose these? Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect the shift keys are worn.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Second what Rivets suggested.

chance123

Threads
I'm not familiar with your transaxle, but some that I "have" seen, have their wheel hubs on a splined axle. The hubs are usually a softer material than the axle (cast iron). If your's is like what I mentioned, check the hub for stripped splines.

mikec35

Threads
Thanks for the replies, I will check the keys this weekend. Other than ebay, does anyone know a good place to locate a used axle? I checked on the price of the keys and they will be around $60.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
$60 for the keys really sounds expensive to me. Haven't worked on a spicer for ten years, but I would double check that price.

mikec35

Threads
How can you tell if the shift keys are worn? I took them out and they look good to me.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Left hand key is definitely worn. How do the inside of the gears look, they could be worn also.

mikec35

Threads
Do the keys wear or do they lose their spring? I really can't see anything wrong with the gear teeth or other parts in the transaxle. Is there an online repair manual or troubleshooting guide for these transaxles? Thanks for all the advice..Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They will do both. I am going by your pictures, which to me shows the left on larger that the right one, in the side view picture. Remember I don't have them in my hand and transmissions can be tricky. Just my best guess.