Scag Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

gopguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys been lurking here for weeks debating what my new mower would be and I want to thank everyone as I found a lot of helpful advice here in making my decision.

I moved from a nice little place by a state park that sat on one and a half acres so my old mowers were adequate. For 26 years I used a 1986 Bolens hydrostatic tractor with a 48 inch deck, that was thrown into the deal when I moved back from Washington DC and bought my first house. That mower was supplemented in the fall by attaching a cyclone rake. Great mower but pretty slow. We moved out by the park in '94 and I continued using the Bolens but was lusting a zero turn a neighbor had. I made the mistake of mentioning to my wife that I wanted to get a zero turn about 14 years ago, just a couple weeks before Fathers day. My intent was for me to go get what I wanted but she and the kids jumped the gun, went out to Sears and got me a Craftsman ZT7500 without asking exactly what I was thinking. Not what I would have bought... but what can you do, it was a Father's day present. So you smile, say thank you and make it work. lol And with all the trees I had and thin grass due to all the shade, really it has been pretty good, until the move.

With the new place I now have a good excuse to step up. Its a 25 acre mini farm. 12 acres tillable, woods and pond and about 7 to 8 acres needing mowing. That old Craftsman gets hot and is choking on the grass here, had to mow at a crawl and frequently stop and back up before it stalled out. It flat out could not handle the job anymore. After a lot of research here and elsewhere I decided to step up to the Scag Cheetah, 61 inch, FX850 Kawasaki Engine. It was delivered yesterday and all I can say is WOW. It moves fast and handles even the heavy grass without a hitch. I plan to head out shortly and finish the job today, clearly this will cut my time on the lawn by many hours, I am delighted. Thanks guys for your sage comments.

24x47t5.jpg

tigercat

Threads
Welcome! Your mower is sure pretty.......

These Scag commercial machines mow grass really well. 3" or 3 feet in chops it all down and leaves it looking like you used a collection system to suck it all up.

Up here in Connecticut, it was very cold and raining till about 3 weeks ago, so the grass just started growing. I let my lawn get a little too long (about 18" tall and started to seed). I ran the Tiger Cat around for the first time last evening. Watching all that grass blowing out the exhaust put a smile on my face.The lawn looks great and I didn't have to ride over the same areas 2 or 3 times like the residential machines.

You made a good choice on Scag.

gopguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Tiger Cat, I think I made an excellent choice too. I have now mowed the entire yard with it and it did take a ten hour job down to four hours. I am delighted. There was a section I left alone last year and was considering letting go back wild, it was not too thick but it was about 15 inches tall and the Cheetah zipped through it like nothing. She does want to move fast, almost reminds me of walking my dog and how I have to restrain him. LOL Hopefully she will continue to do nothing but impress.

Old Copper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks.
New to the forum & wanted to say hello. Own a 2010 John Deere LA135 garden tractor, A 1990 Case/IH, a 1990 Cub Cadet 1872, a 1975 Ford 1600, I have dad's old 1948 Ferguson that is in need of lots & lots of loving care and recently purchased my 1st Zero-Turn Mower from Scag after doing research on these mowers.

The Ford & Case/IH are functional, the Ford needing some minor tinkering, new glow plug, fuel filters, new seat & a good cleaning.

The 1872 is currently in need of ICU -- but shouldn't be a major issue.

The Deere is 5 yrs old, and does an adequate job, but the 42" deck & high center of gravity makes it a "no-no" on slopes. Otherwise, it's like new.

The Scag Tiger Cat demo came from about 2 blocks away @ J & E Equipment. Wonderful folks & beyond excellent customer service. It, like the old 1872, has a 61" deck (60 on Cadet) for 5' for mowing pleasure. Too wide for a ditch with street signs on the top edge, but otherwise a mower with thick metal deck, good turning (the 1872 has lock-brakes on each side for sharp turns) & high quality metal frame. I can cut our place in 1/2 the time or less using the Scag which is a real time saver.

My favorite mower was the 1st I purchased @ Sears during college. Worked p/t there & on campus, & got a Craftsman heavy solid garden tractor. Unfortunately I let my mom keep it @ her house, and the guy running it poured gas into it while running. Gas caught & fire destroyed tractor.

I love old machinery including road vehicles & have restored a number of 60's vintage Mustangs & Vietnam Era military trucks. Now due to increasing poor health, I have to depend on trustworthy folks to do the hands-on stuff beyond routine maintenance.

Ok, that's me in a nutshell folks. Glad to find the forum and plan to make extensive use of it. I don't post a lot unless it's a topic on which I have a strong feeling. Thanks for reading. :)

deamer1

Threads
Hello OldCopper!

Welcome to the forum. It's been useful for me and I really enjoy the input from everyone.
I like your new machine! My scag is a 2002 Turf Tiger, which has 2000 hrs on it. The paint is worn and scratched but it mows very well. I keep it maintained as needed. We mow approximately eight acres with rolling hills, plenty of trees and open areas. I replaced all the spindles last year as I broke one of them and thought it was a good thing to replace them all. Once I got into it, I found out it was time to replace them.
Enjoy the forum and that nice machine.
Deamer1

wrcox

Forum Newbie
Threads
William Cox And I have A 2012 52inch freedom Z

V6Pony

Threads
Hi All:

First post. Just bought a Scag Tiger Cat with 52" deck and Kwa engine. My first ZT. I had a Cub Cadet 2550 that I have used for the last 12 years or so. I was starting to have a lot of small problems with it so I decided to try ZT

Got it last night and mowed the yard "It did not need to be mowed". I really worked well and I was quite happy with it. When I first started took some time to get used to the controls by the time I finished I was doing better. Have a way to go before I really get good with this. But I am very happy with the way it performed and how it operates. I was quite impressed with the speed of the machine it flat fly's compared to my CC.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi All: First post. Just bought a Scag Tiger Cat with 52" deck and Kwa engine. My first ZT. I had a Cub Cadet 2550 that I have used for the last 12 years or so. I was starting to have a lot of small problems with it so I decided to try ZT Got it last night and mowed the yard "It did not need to be mowed". I really worked well and I was quite happy with it. When I first started took some time to get used to the controls by the time I finished I was doing better. Have a way to go before I really get good with this. But I am very happy with the way it performed and how it operates. I was quite impressed with the speed of the machine it flat fly's compared to my CC.

We have two of those machines like yours. I was running a ZD 326 Kubota and when I purchased my first Tiger Cat and ran it. I traded the big Kubota in and got another Scag. Will probably purchase a third next year.

I have never seen a machine that will cut stemmed grass close to as clean in the first pass.

You won't regret your purchase.

James79761

Forum Newbie
Threads
James and I have a 2014 Scag Freedom Z 52 inch