Export thread

Scag Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all Scag mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Scag owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Scag mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Scag stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

B

Bill

OK, I'll be the first to reply. Hi, I am Bill and I own a 2003 Tiger Cub that I purchased on Ebay a few years ago. My Cub has performed well except this year it started to burn very rich emitting black smoke with varying rpm and eventually no power. I rebuilt the carb twice with no change. I happened to be at a dealer looking at Bob Cats and told the owner my problem. He said it was a dirty air filter and I said "no-can't be, it's clean." I added my hours over the last three years and it totaled 100 which is the point he said you must change the air filter. I went home and replace my air filter-well, I was wrong and he was very correct in his evaluation. My Cub runs wonderful now. Now, it's your turn to reply........

S

S_Perreault

Hi

I'm Scott - i have a Tiger Cub as well

I don't replace the air filter nearly that often (three times in 1600 hrs)
Mine was new when i got it though and i tap or blow out the filter every 50 hrs.
I'll bet your new one lasts awhile

One thing you might want to check....

Under the seat where there are 2 springs with the pins that hold the seat up off of the safety switch (when no one is on the mower)...

One of the springs is located over the hydraulic hose on the left side under the yellow plate - i punctured that hose by bouncing up and down over bumps and that pin was hitting the hose - it drained the fluid and broke the right side pump from lack of lube:eek:

$610 hydraulic pump - (i replaced it myself otherwise another $200-300 labor)

just remove that left side spring and pin and the other spring is stong enough to still work

Attachments

B

Bill

Hi Scott: That is a nasty looking pic. I'll check my Cub out tomorrow for the same condition. I certainly don't want to spend 600 bucks on a preventable condition. Thanks for the hint. Bill

lizard

lizard

Here good reports in Australia of the 'Scag'.......but you need to check your machine regularly...its called Preventative maintainence!:licking:

2810guy

2810guy

Good day all! I'm new here but not to the mowing issue. I'm not a comercial mower my no means but we mow 37 acres or so a week at home and then the neighbors if and when i can beat them to the draw. We mow with a Skaq tigercat 60" and a 72"kk rear discharge on the backside of my Mahindra 2810HST. My wife has Alzheimers but mows almost every week with me. The Mahindra is great match for her with just one pedal operation, she follows me and we can take down serious grass. She likes to do it, it makes her feel worthy and I love her working with me

Attachments

K

KennyV

2810guy Welcome to the Forum...
Those are both GREAT mowing riggs...
I especially like the tiger, is it diesel powered? :smile:.. :smile:KennyV

2810guy

2810guy

2810guy Welcome to the Forum...
Those are both GREAT mowing riggs...
I especially like the tiger, is it diesel powered? :smile:.. :smile:KennyV

Unfortunately no, the price between the CAT and the Kohler was just to far out of reach. Around 5000$ to far but i like the kohler. Looking forward to mowing again in the spring if it ever comes. . . .John :thumbsup:

B

bruceleeroy

Older scag owner here. Bought it used and put a brand new engine in it about 2 years ago. 60" cut and love the speed! Takes me about 1/3 the time as it does my neighbor on his brand new shiny red mower with a 42" or something. :)

B

Bama01

:thumbdown:hi, i'm jerel i have problem with my scag i replace my starter but it just clicks with i turn key.

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Scag owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Scag mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Scag stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Coyote Machine

Coyote Machine

This is NOT where to post your question. But, Why did you replace the starter?! Sounds like a battery issue, possibly, but you need to post in the actual scag forum and give your question more details of what happened and why you did what you did- starter replacement.
You have posted in an informational thread, and may not get read...

P

Patton

Hi forum, just bought new scag cheeta with kohler engine. Was 2011 demo with 3 hours on meter, 61 inch cut paid $9999, wonder why keys say x mark do they build scags?

Coyote Machine

Coyote Machine

Hi forum, just bought new scag cheeta with kohler engine. Was 2011 demo with 3 hours on meter, 61 inch cut paid $9999, wonder why keys say x mark do they build scags?

The keys may fit both Kohler engines- Scag and Xmark are mower builders NOT engine manufacturers.

Again, this is where to introduce yourself to the forum, not the place to ask questions one wants answered- do that in the actual Scag forum.

LS2

LS2

Hi,
I recently bought my first Scag. A 2012 Tiger Cat with a 52" Velocity Plus deck..........Got it on tuesday. Solid feeling machine. Can't wait to try it out. My grass isn't long enough to cut yet.........

N

noob

hello my name is mark and i just purchased a scag turf tiger 61 in cut i believe and has the 25 horse kohler motor on it 814 hours hoping i made a good buy but have no clue on what year it is.

ScagRoller

ScagRoller

Hi, Jeff here! I just purchased a 2012 Scag Turf Tiger, 61" deck and Vanguard engine. My first commercial mower and I love it!

W

Wag

Jason from Louisiana ------> 2002 Scag Tiger Cub w/48" advantage deck 20 hp Kohler.
Bought new in Nov. 2002. Very good mower --- maybe a little overkill for my residential lot.
Only 191 hrs. on it in 10 years. Neighbors say engine not even warmed up when I'm finish.
Other than routine maint. --- Had to replace deck belt idler tension spring and drive belt
idler tension spring --- both were replaced with Scag replacement part spring which were
more heavy duty than the original. On second deck drive belt ($67). At 100 hrs. went
with synthetic oil.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Jason from Louisiana ------> 2002 Scag Tiger Cub w/48" advantage deck 20 hp Kohler.
Bought new in Nov. 2002. Very good mower --- maybe a little overkill for my residential lot.
Only 191 hrs. on it in 10 years. Neighbors say engine not even warmed up when I'm finish.
Other than routine maint. --- Had to replace deck belt idler tension spring and drive belt
idler tension spring --- both were replaced with Scag replacement part spring which were
more heavy duty than the original. On second deck drive belt ($67). At 100 hrs. went
with synthetic oil.

Nice mower! :welcome: to LawnMowerForum!

D

drew7811

Good day everyone. New Scag owner myself. I just bought a 2012 Turf Tiger w/ the 35hp briggs vanguard engine. They were closing out the 12's and only had one left on the lot, but had it marked down quite nicely so I jumped on it. I cut about 3 acres at my home and fell in love with a zero turn after my father in law loaned me his Kubota diesel. I knew I had to have one after that and after much research, i decided on the Turf Tiger. I have put about 2 hrs on it so far and might (if I am lucky) get to cut one more time before winter. I love it. It's a beast of a machine.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Good day everyone. New Scag owner myself. I just bought a 2012 Turf Tiger w/ the 35hp briggs vanguard engine. They were closing out the 12's and only had one left on the lot, but had it marked down quite nicely so I jumped on it. I cut about 3 acres at my home and fell in love with a zero turn after my father in law loaned me his Kubota diesel. I knew I had to have one after that and after much research, i decided on the Turf Tiger. I have put about 2 hrs on it so far and might (if I am lucky) get to cut one more time before winter. I love it. It's a beast of a machine.

Awesome mower....and :welcome: to LMF! Feel free to post some pics of it!

tigercat

tigercat

Hi everyone. My name is Bob and I found the forum thru a google search. I own a Scag Tiger Cat with a 52" deck for my property. It will be used for the first time in 6 hours to finish up my fall clean-up. The old machine just can't do the job without daily breakdowns, I finally broke down and bought a top end machine for my property. I look forward in running it and not breaking down at every turn!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi everyone. My name is Bob and I found the forum thru a google search. I own a Scag Tiger Cat with a 52" deck for my property. It will be used for the first time in 6 hours to finish up my fall clean-up. The old machine just can't do the job without daily breakdowns, I finally broke down and bought a top end machine for my property. I look forward in running it and not breaking down at every turn!

You have a nice mower! :thumbsup: WELCOME TO LMF, Bob!
If you have a picture of your mower we would love to see it!

tigercat

tigercat

Here you go. :smile:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

That is nice!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: You keep it in good shape!!
Thanks for sharing!

P

pjm123a

My name is Paul. I had a SCAG Tiger Cub that I brought new 7 years ago. It caught fire recently and pretty much burned to the ground. I intend to rebuild it and have just started the process. I am working on the chassis now. I have brought a used SCAG Turf Tiger that I intend to use for mowing chores while re-building the Cub. In the end, I want to use the Turf Tiger as the primary mower and the Tiger Cub as the backup. I am a homeowner who lives on 10 acres. I also occasionally do some mowing for my neighbors.

Attachments

M

Mad Mackie

My name is Paul. I had a SCAG Tiger Cub that I brought new 7 years ago. It caught fire recently and pretty much burned to the ground. I intend to rebuild it and have just started the process. I am working on the chassis now. I have brought a used SCAG Turf Tiger that I intend to use for mowing chores while re-building the Cub. In the end, I want to use the Turf Tiger as the primary mower and the Tiger Cub as the backup. I am a homeowner who lives on 10 acres. I also occasionally do some mowing for my neighbors.

Do you know or have any idea what started the fire? I have heard of several Tiger Cubs burning over the years, but no comments about how the fire started.:confused2:
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin:

K

KennyV

Paul... I'm with Mad Mackie and the question ... What caused the fire. If you can determine why it happened you will be able to prevent another one for yourself & you may help others prevent a similar circumstance...
When did it start? while in use? Electrical, Oil or Fuel, grass, friction heat build-up... as the initial source ???
If you have any idea, post back... :smile:KennyV

P

pjm123a

I have no idea. I was just mowing like always and smelled something burning. Got off the seat and looked towards the back and saw nothing. Flipped up the seat and saw flames licking up the front of the engine which was still running. I took off my shirt and tried to beat it out but it was already too late. As the flames got close to the gas tanks, I backed away and dialed 911. Within less than 2 minutes of smelling something burning, the whole thing was engulfed in flames and the surrounding grass was starting to burn. The fire dept showed up and the fire was out within 15 minutes (seemed like an eternity). The fire dept guys told me that mower fires are not that uncommon around these parts (SW FL) this time of year as we are in our dry season. It is quite dry. Bottom line is that my mower went up in a burst of flames and there was nothing I could do but watch. I will never mow again without a fire extinguisher on board.

Attachments

P

pjm123a

Hi Kenny, I know there was a recall on SCAGs from about my year because of fire issues. I checked my serial number and it was not part of the recall. Also all the recalled ones ended up having Kawasaki motors and I had a Kohler. I don't know but believe one of 2 things happened. Either something in the fuel system let go or I ran over something woody as I had just mowed around some trees and it got wedged near a pulley or a belt and the friction ignited it. I don't suppose it is really possible to ever know for sure. The rear engine design of a ZTR is great from the perspective that you get lots of visibility up front and it gives you a nice low center of gravity. The price you pay for that though is that something like this can happen and sneak up on you. People also shouldn't be lulled into thinking that their insurance is the answer (at least for homeowner's insurance). My deductible is $2500. A 7 year old mower (while it was worth a lot to me) is not going to be worth much more than that in an insurance settlement. There was no point in my even filing a claim. Best insurance in a case like this is a fire extinguisher. In the end, I consider myself lucky that I did not get hurt and that I wasn't anywhere near where something else could catch fire (although I was a bit nervous about a grass fire before the fire department got there).

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

WELCOME TO LMF, pjm123a. I'm sorry about what happened to your Scag! :frown:

K

KennyV

.... I will never mow again without a fire extinguisher on board.

Things happen, and a good fire extinguisher is a must... mount it right to your ROPS...
Good luck on the rebuild... will take a lot of parts But not being in any rush, should be a fun project.... :smile:KennyV

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Things happen, and a good fire extinguisher is a must... mount it right to your ROPS... :smile:KennyV

But that is the problem, he doesn't have a ROPS on the new mower. :frown:

tigercat

tigercat

I have no idea. I was just mowing like always and smelled something burning.

Terrible stroke of luck! You would think it's only a mower and how could this ever happen? Well, now I'm going to keep an eye out for debris collected on the machine and blow it clean after use.

K

KennyV

I'm going to keep an eye out for debris collected on the machine and blow it clean after use.

Always a good idea... there are few things as devastating as Fire... anything you can do to prevent it will be worth the effort... :smile:KennyV

B

Badbrad

image.jpg

Hello, new to the forum, but not to mowing. I've had a sideline mowing business for over 12 years now. I've run just about every brand at one time or other. Started out with a John Deere walk behind, upgraded to a Scag walk behind, then a Grasshopper mid mount to a Gravely mid mount and finally back to a Scag! My favorite of them all! Just bought the turf tiger in the fall and ready to sling some grass!

D

drew7811

View attachment 13363

Hello, new to the forum, but not to mowing. I've had a sideline mowing business for over 12 years now. I've run just about every brand at one time or other. Started out with a John Deere walk behind, upgraded to a Scag walk behind, then a Grasshopper mid mount to a Gravely mid mount and finally back to a Scag! My favorite of them all! Just bought the turf tiger in the fall and ready to sling some grass!

Welcome. I myself purchased a new turf tiger in the fall last year and now I find myself staring at the grass convincing it to grow so I can get out there and use the beast ;). I am more than ready.

SIDE NOTE. Where are you located in Kentucky? Northern KY here.

M

mowerguy

Hey. Southern Indiana here. Just picked up a V-ride Saturday. I mowed the front yard with it even though it didn't need cut. I couldn't hold back. So far I like it. It will take a few hours to master the controls. I am getting impatient waiting for the grass to grow!

B

Badbrad

Drew, I'm in Bowling Green. Suns out and starting to feel a little warmth. Should be running everything by next week.

D

drew7811

Drew, I'm in Bowling Green. Suns out and starting to feel a little warmth. Should be running everything by next week.

Cool. Yeah I saw the extended forecast and saw some consistent 50's and even 60 up our way this week. You should be even warmer down your way. Grow baby GROW! Ha ha

tigercat

tigercat

View attachment 13363

Nice machine!

Z

zwalls

Hi from Lafayette,La.I'm here to gather info and advice!I'm sure I'll find it here!!hoefully this is the right place to post this if not I can do it again in the right place.

I currently own a 5yr old Scag Freedom Z 48" with a BS 26hp.I cut 2 acres weekly and here in Louisiana it's about 8 to 9 months out of the yr.I have had "0" problems with the mower or the engine.

my neighbor has been bugging me to sell him my mower which would give me a good excuse to buy the new Z 52" with the larger tires and frame.with that said it would either come with a 27hp briggs & stratton commercial turf series v-twin with cyclonic air filter or a Kawasaki FS691V which I think is a 23HP.

this is homeower use only!I feel either engine would last me a very long time,and I'm a stickler for proper maintenance.the main problem I have is I cannot find any documentation on the Briggs engine torque/rpm specs anywhere.my dealer subtly pushes me towards the Kawi because of the torque ratings and claims it's just a better engine.

I kind of like maintaining extra hp especially when and engine is called upon to turn blades,pump fluid,transmissions,wheels,etc,.I leaning towards the Briggs as of now but would really like to know what the torque ratings are for the 27 hp and any other input you guys may have!

thanks for reading my rambling!!

Z

K

KennyV

the main problem I have is I cannot find any documentation on the Briggs engine torque/rpm specs anywhere.my dealer subtly pushes me towards the Kawi because of the torque ratings and claims it's just a better engine.

I kind of like maintaining extra hp especially when and engine is called upon to turn blades,pump fluid,transmissions,wheels,etc,.I leaning towards the Briggs as of now but would really like to know what the torque ratings are for the 27 hp and any other input you guys may have!

Z

Kawasaki is the Best at showing torque & actual HP... I'm with you, I wish Briggs did the same....
Either engine will likely do what you need & you will probably Not see any difference between the two in performance... :smile:KennyV

Z

zwalls

Kawasaki is the Best at showing torque & actual HP... I'm with you, I wish Briggs did the same....
Either engine will likely do what you need & you will probably Not see any difference between the two in performance... :smile:KennyV

thanks Kenny! I appreciate the response!!

R

rapidride2

Matt Green from Cahokia, Illinois. 04' Scag 48 tiger cub with about 550 hrs on it so far. Glad to be here on the forum.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Matt Green from Cahokia, Illinois. 04' Scag 48 tiger cub with about 550 hrs on it so far. Glad to be here on the forum.

:welcome: Welcome to this great forum...nice mower! :thumbsup:

G

GreaseMonkey

Hi I am Mike and live in Pennsyvania. I bought a used 1997 STHM in 2008. Mower currently has approximately 1000 hours on it. It is a real work horse.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi I am Mike and live in Pennsyvania. I bought a used 1997 STHM in 2008. Mower currently has approximately 1000 hours on it. It is a real work horse.

Welcome!

:welcome:

G

GreaseMonkey

Welcome!

:welcome:

Thanks for the welcome

A

Atglenhillbilly

Hi I'm Charlie. I live in southeast pa. I recently bought an older scag wildcat with 61" deck and 27 hp kohler. It ran good but I'm now having an electrical issue. I wrote a post about it in the small engines section if anyone can help thanks. I don't know how to move the post.

M

Mad Mackie

Hi Charley,
Get the serial number off your machine, go to the Scag website, on the left side, click on manuals, click on the model designation, find your serial number group, click on it and download the operators and parts manuals. The wiring diagram is usually found in the parts manual.
As for the engine, basically do the same but at the Kohler website.
On the home page of this website, click on Scag Forums in the Brand specific forums, then click on post new thread and describe the symptoms that your machine is exhibiting.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::wink::smile:

C

cworogers

Hi,
Got a Scag SW Walk Behind with 16hp Kawasaki. Just put the first hour on it today. Driving it takes a little getting used to but I can tell it is going to be a great mower.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi,
Got a Scag SW Walk Behind with 16hp Kawasaki. Just put the first hour on it today. Driving it takes a little getting used to but I can tell it is going to be a great mower.

Nice mower! :thumbsup:

C

cworogers

Thanks! I know I will enjoy it.

T

Tilt

ok, many thanks to this forum that helped me decide on my new mower right b4 I was sent out into the wild. Here is is:
20130622_113405[1].jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

ok, many thanks to this forum that helped me decide on my new mower right b4 I was sent out into the wild. Here is is:
View attachment 15247

That looks GREAT! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

T

Tilt

That looks GREAT! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks!!!

Ya if it wasn't for 0% apr for 48 I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Of course b4 I bought it is would rain 2-3 time a week here now it's dryer then ever. Never have I looked forward to mowing the lawn since I was a teenager. hehehe

Cheers!! :biggrin::biggrin:

D

drew7811

Thanks!!!

Ya if it wasn't for 0% apr for 48 I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Of course b4 I bought it is would rain 2-3 time a week here now it's dryer then ever. Never have I looked forward to mowing the lawn since I was a teenager. hehehe

Cheers!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Absolutely. You gotta love the 0% for 4 yrs. That's what I got when I got my mower in November. Love it. It's a beast :thumbsup:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Yeah it's like how two winters ago we bought snow tires for the car (for the first time) and also a walk-behind snowblower and then it ends up being one of the warmest winters on record! :smiley_aafz:

T

Tilt

Yeah it's like how two winters ago we bought snow tires for the car (for the first time) and also a walk-behind snowblower and then it ends up being one of the warmest winters on record! :smiley_aafz:

Well after I posted the no rain message, we got clobbered yesterday. The power went out for 6 hours and rained much of the afternoon/evening. Pretty sure it came your way after that. If i keep posting the weather issues maybe I can tieter totter the summer into rain/no rain. :laughing: :laughing: :confused2:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Well after I posted the no rain message, we got clobbered yesterday. The power went out for 6 hours and rained much of the afternoon/evening. Pretty sure it came your way after that. If i keep posting the weather issues maybe I can tieter totter the summer into rain/no rain. :laughing: :laughing: :confused2:

Yep a bit after sundown it got super windy all of a sudden and it poured and thundered. But it was over within 30 mins.

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Hi from Lafayette,La.I'm here to gather info and advice!I'm sure I'll find it here!!hoefully this is the right place to post this if not I can do it again in the right place.

I currently own a 5yr old Scag Freedom Z 48" with a BS 26hp.I cut 2 acres weekly and here in Louisiana it's about 8 to 9 months out of the yr.I have had "0" problems with the mower or the engine.

my neighbor has been bugging me to sell him my mower which would give me a good excuse to buy the new Z 52" with the larger tires and frame.with that said it would either come with a 27hp briggs & stratton commercial turf series v-twin with cyclonic air filter or a Kawasaki FS691V which I think is a 23HP.

this is homeower use only!I feel either engine would last me a very long time,and I'm a stickler for proper maintenance.the main problem I have is I cannot find any documentation on the Briggs engine torque/rpm specs anywhere.my dealer subtly pushes me towards the Kawi because of the torque ratings and claims it's just a better engine.

Z

Hello Zwalls,

I was here on this site over the last five weeks researching for the purpose of a ZTR that would best serve my needs. I first thought was Ferris, thinking it would be my next ZTR, I contacted our local Ferris dealer in hopes for an "on my property Demo" to experience for myself the performance of the Ferris 3100. Meanwhile I discovered Cheetah and requested a demo from McGyver. Then for good measure I requested a demo from Southland Engines for a Gravely 460 (Air Ride Seat).

I received my demo of the Gravely and the Scag promptly, but after 4 weeks and still no demo from the Ferris dealer I went with Scag Cheetah. Although the Gravely 460 (Air Seat) rode "just a little bit better" than the Scag, Both units cut equally well in tall grass at high speed. The price difference between the two was $2000 more for the Gravely.

SO, I ordered the Scag Optional Suspension Seat to add to the Cheetah 61", Kawasaki 31hp, (and still saved a chuck of change). I feel this set up will put the Cheetah Suspension System over the top in performance. The seat should be here at the end of the week, and I should know for sure what performance I have gained. For better or worst, that's what I have done....

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I almost forgot to mention...... guess what I currently cut grass with....??? A JD 345 I purchased new from Melancon Emplement in 'Mar '98. Used it today to cut my 3.5 acres probably for the last time. Next week I will be using the cheetah.

T

Tilt

Hello Zwalls,

I was here on this site over the last five weeks researching for the purpose of a ZTR that would best serve my needs. I first thought was Ferris, thinking it would be my next ZTR, I contacted our local Ferris dealer in hopes for an "on my property Demo" to experience for myself the performance of the Ferris 3100. Meanwhile I discovered Cheetah and requested a demo from McGyver. Then for good measure I requested a demo from Southland Engines for a Gravely 460 (Air Ride Seat).

I received my demo of the Gravely and the Scag promptly, but after 4 weeks and still no demo from the Ferris dealer I went with Scag Cheetah. Although the Gravely 460 (Air Seat) rode "just a little bit better" than the Scag, Both units cut equally well in tall grass at high speed. The price difference between the two was $2000 more for the Gravely.

SO, I ordered the Scag Optional Suspension Seat to add to the Cheetah 61", Kawasaki 31hp, (and still saved a chuck of change). I feel this set up will put the Cheetah Suspension System over the top in performance. The seat should be here at the end of the week, and I should know for sure what performance I have gained. For better or worst, that's what I have done....

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I almost forgot to mention...... guess what I currently cut grass with....??? A JD 345 I purchased new from Melancon Emplement in 'Mar '98. Used it today to cut my 3.5 acres probably for the last time. Next week I will be using the cheetah.

Congrats. :thumbsup: how bout a picture?

M

Mad Mackie

Going from a rider with a steering wheel to a ZTR can be stressful!
Good luck with your new Cheetah!!
Now after many hours me and my ZTRs are comfortable with each other, but it took a while for this "old buzzard" to get away from the steering wheel!!:mur::cool2:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing:

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Thanks Mackie,

I cut my entire yard with the Cheetah demo (3.5 acres). I found the learning curve to be about twenty minutes. I cut the wide open section first to learn how, then tackled the closer areas. By the end of the cut, I felt very confident.

Pictures coming soon......!!!!

D

deamer1

Hi. I'm deamer1. We have four mowers. Scag Turf Tiger, Husqvarna, a four legged paint, and a four legged Palomino. The last two mowers don't cut even and they leave debris in their paths. Unable to tune that out of em. They will come to a whistle whereas the other two won't. Like all mowers, some have advantages and some have disadvantages. I have discovered that Shoes are less expensive than tires.
We really like our Scag mower. Bought it used with 1050 hours on it for $2100. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it a done deal. Mows good after a good clean up and going over with routine maintenance and preventative maintenance items. Ordered some replacement parts for some updates/repairs. Enjoy your mowing season!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi. I'm deamer1. We have four mowers. Scag Turf Tiger, Husqvarna, a four legged paint, and a four legged Palomino. The last two mowers don't cut even and they leave debris in their paths. Unable to tune that out of em. They will come to a whistle whereas the other two won't. Like all mowers, some have advantages and some have disadvantages. I have discovered that Shoes are less expensive than tires.
We really like our Scag mower. Bought it used with 1050 hours on it for $2100. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it a done deal. Mows good after a good clean up and going over with routine maintenance and preventative maintenance items. Ordered some replacement parts for some updates/repairs. Enjoy your mowing season!

:welcome: Cool mowers! :thumbsup:

R

rabbit

Rabbit from north Florida. Live Oak area.

purchased a Scag 52" turf tiger, 25 Kohler Command engine had about 740 hours on it. Now has about 850. I mow about 3 acres of my my 37. Have lots of obstacles. This machine makes it so much easier. Looking forward to lots of advise from this forum of some gremlins that have taken over my machine.

thanks, randy

Zepaholic

Zepaholic

I'm originally from Southeast Louisiana, but now living in the western part of Louisiana. I got 9 1/2 acres of which 6 are cleared with some depressions & pretty rough. I was cutting all that grass with a 42" deck TORO. That lawn mower lasted 71 days. So I was thinking about a tractor I thought my land was to rough for a Zero Turn. Stopped in at the local SCAG dealer just to see the machines. I told him what I was up against & showed some pictures of my land. He then pointed me at the Turf Tiger. Well I got on that Bad Boy & was impressed I bought it! I got it home & cut the last acre I had left in probably less than 15 minutes! LOL
I can't wait to get off the boat & cut all 6 acres! LOL
The picture I got still has the price tag on it. LOL

Attachments

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

I'm originally from Southeast Louisiana, but now living in the western part of Louisiana. I got 9 1/2 acres of which 6 are cleared with some depressions & pretty rough. I was cutting all that grass with a 42" deck TORO. That lawn mower lasted 71 days. So I was thinking about a tractor I thought my land was to rough for a Zero Turn. Stopped in at the local SCAG dealer just to see the machines. I told him what I was up against & showed some pictures of my land. He then pointed me at the Turf Tiger. Well I got on that Bad Boy & was impressed I bought it! I got it home & cut the last acre I had left in probably less than 15 minutes! LOL

OH Zepaholic ...... I wish you great success with you tiger, I picked up my Scag Cheetah from McGyver (a Scag dealer between Rayne & Crowley) some five weeks ago. I love my 61" Kawasaki 31 hp Cheetah. Grass cutting time went from 4 hours plus, down to one hour and thirty minutes.... I love it....

Zepaholic

Zepaholic

OH Zepaholic ...... I wish you great success with you tiger, I picked up my Scag Cheetah from McGyver (a Scag dealer between Rayne & Crowley) some five weeks ago. I love my 61" Kawasaki 31 hp Cheetah. Grass cutting time went from 4 hours plus, down to one hour and thirty minutes.... I love it....

Merci Beau Coup Mes Ami!
I wish you great sucess as well.
I picked mine up from Moss Bluff mower sales in of all places...Moss Bluff. LOL
They were some good people to deal with.

tigercat

tigercat

sweet machine!

S

Sonders

Hey guys, checking in from Southern Indiana. Recently bought a used 03' model Turf Tiger. 61" w/ 29 Kaw dfi. Have a few small repairs to make on it, but none urgent. Has definitely cut my mowing time in half.

D

drew7811

Welcome from Northern Ky. Fellow turf tiger owner here. Coming up on a year now that I bought mine from a dealer in Southwestern Indiana. I love it. Best of luck with your new toy.

Drew

A

afoulk

that looks really good for a 10yr old ztr:thumbsup:

S

Sonders

that looks really good for a 10yr old ztr:thumbsup:

Thanks fella's. I really like it. Seat is a little rough, but already had a buddy hook me up with a brand new right armrest for it. Just a few other small things that I'd like to fix on it, but other than that I think I did alright on getting it (wife however disagrees haha).

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Congrats. :thumbsup: how bout a picture?

Delivery picture......

Cheetah at home.jpg

M

mattdmarie

Hey, My name is Matt. I purchased a 04 Wildcat 61" with 27 Kohler Command off craigslist. I love the machine and it rides well for yard I have (roughly 3 acres). Working on upgrading to a 72" TT hopefully next year. Fair to say I became a scag fanboy after my purchase:smile:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hey, My name is Matt. I purchased a 04 Wildcat 61" with 27 Kohler Command off craigslist. I love the machine and it rides well for yard I have (roughly 3 acres). Working on upgrading to a 72" TT hopefully next year. Fair to say I became a scag fanboy after my purchase:smile:

Nice ride! :thumbsup:

T

Tdog

Tdog here, just bought a 2004 Tiger Cub with the Kawasaki 19hp 250 hours and in great condition. Any thoughts, tips on maintenance, or issues you've encountered would be appreciated. Thanks.

PVHIII

PVHIII

Good day all! I'm new here but not to the mowing issue. I'm not a comercial mower my no means but we mow 37 acres or so a week at home and then the neighbors if and when i can beat them to the draw. We mow with a Skaq tigercat 60" and a 72"kk rear discharge on the backside of my Mahindra 2810HST. My wife has Alzheimers but mows almost every week with me. The Mahindra is great match for her with just one pedal operation, she follows me and we can take down serious grass. She likes to do it, it makes her feel worthy and I love her working with me

Wow...your post brought me to tears..you sound like a fine man and husband good luck with your wife and I'll add ya'll to my prayer list

BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles

Hey Guys and Gals! I'm a Scag newbie and sharing my new (to me) SW48.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.625550114154858.1073741848.420579901318548&type=1

geno56

geno56

Hi, my name is Gene(Geno's) Fox. I'm new to the forum and new to the Scag. I just put my 15 year old Yazoo/Kees to rest and bought a new STC61V-730FX Tiger Cat. So for it's every thing I've heard about. I've got 1cut in and can't wait for the grass to grow

M

mormonsniper

Hi folks! Just purchased a used 2013 Turf Tiger. 61". FD791D EFI. <200 hours.

M

Mad Mackie

I don't remember when I have been more anxious to get on my mowers and get this winter over. Already getting calls for wood chipping and spring cleanup.
My Scag Tiger Cub and Hustler X-ONE are going to be busy girls very soon!!!! I can't wait!!!
Glad to see the Scag owners chatting here!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

F

falconerone

Greetings
Bought a used TT last year, 52" deck with a kohler ch740. It ran great last year, started cutting this year and oops. Starts and runs fine for about 30-40 minutes then the engine starts to bog down. All fluids have been changed, spark plugs changed, rebuilt the carb. Still does the same thing, scratching my head trying to figure what to do next.

M

mormonsniper

Greetings
Bought a used TT last year, 52" deck with a kohler ch740. It ran great last year, started cutting this year and oops. Starts and runs fine for about 30-40 minutes then the engine starts to bog down. All fluids have been changed, spark plugs changed, rebuilt the carb. Still does the same thing, scratching my head trying to figure what to do next.

Sounds like something is overheating. Does it run ok after you let it cool off?

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_24_690_06.pdf

Page 17 starts the troubleshooting guide if you don't already have the manual.

Kohler Engines

tigercat

tigercat

Check your in line fuel filter? Maybe it's plugged.

W

wcwhite

Hey! My name is Rick. Bought a used 2007 Turf Tiger 52" cut last year. Use it to maintain my 2.5 acres.

H

hairyapple

SCAGs last forever if they don't self destruct

My SCAG is a humble walk 52", belt driven walk behind, that I bougt in 1992 or 3. I only use it on my own place but I cut about 2.5 to 3 acres every week during the growing season. 5 or 6 years ago I had to replace the motor as
my "helper" was not checking the oil regularly and the original 14 hp Kawasaki died a horrible death. Up till then it never needed anything but a drive belt or two. We replaced the blown motor with a Kawasaki 17hp twin. It was a vast improvement
power wise although I never really had any issues with the 14. The 17 starts with one pull. I replaced the drive tires, bearings in the casters, new brake bands and now the TechumsehPeerless transmission had trouble staying in gear, probably some worn parts in the shifter but we'll see when it comes apart after the season is over. Anyway, knock on wood, 21 years in faithful service, can't really complain. Original cost was $3,300. So say I mow 20 times a year X 21 years that's 420 trips around the yard. The man that was mowing for me up until I started doing it myself was getting $100 per, and mowing a lot less than I do. That represents about $42,000 in savings over the time period, not to mention the "health" benefit of the ten mile walk I get to take
every week. I guess I'm predjudice but if I get to feeble to use this old trooper the next machine I buy will be a Tiger-no doubt about it.

David Giles

David Giles

Howdy Folks! New member here, who just bought a new Tiger Cat 61" (based on lots of recommendations and information I got from this great forum). Will be using it on my 6 acre property in an industrial park, and will be cutting another 3-4 acres on a couple of other properties here in the industrial park as well. Actually one of my employees will probably do the cutting after the fun and newness wears off and I have other things to do. :cool: But I'll also be using it to cut my home yard as well (less than an acre).

Cut with it today and it did a fantastic job, including cutting down a half acre or so of almost waist-high weeds that we'd been wanting to get rid of. I do have a couple of minor questions/concerns about it, but I'll post those in a separate post.

Anyway, thanks for the great resource, and here's a picture of the beast:

Scag Tiger Cat.jpg

David

90cummins

Hello;
I just bought a Scag STHM 3 wheel 61 mower.
A friend had it for sale and we talked about our age catching up with us. I was using a 52 Snapper Hydro but my back/legs were very painful even when using a sulky so mowing was no longer possible.
I asked him about his mower so he dripped it off for a test ride. I thought mowing would never be enjoyable again, I was wrong!
That machine was a joy to operate, very maneuverable and comfortable for me so I bought it for $1100.
Mowing under bushes and trees is very easy with the mower deck out front.
One of the best features to me is the ability to mow overgrown high grass/brush with the mower raised up avoiding those rock & stumps that were forgotten about. With the tapered roller bearing spindles an occasional (OOPS) does no damage unlike ball bearing spindles.
Keeping 4 acres mowed will now be enjoyable!!
The engine had 3000 hours on it & was a bit weak but the machine otherwise was solid.
Off to E-bay I go looking for an engine.
I found a seller who was parting out a new CV22s so I bought the short block for $280.
So I have a winter project restoring this for the next 20+ years of mowing.
I'm actually looking forward to next year's mowing.
Any advice or suggestions welcome.

90cummins

K

KennyV

Welcome to these forums....
Front deck mowers are absolutely the Best Plus Good Used commercial equipment is always worth owning and repairing... that is a great mower.... :smile:KennyV

J

jvsr1949

My name is James and my wife is Pat. We bought a 2004 tiger Cub new and have had near zero trouble with it. I mow 4-5 acres with it....no real grass...just large weeds and small brush here in central Texas.

B

Bmgillum

My name is Buddy Gillum and while I do not own a Scag yet, I will by spring...looking at a 61" Tiger Cat...just have to decide on which engine...

Cheers/bg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My name is Buddy Gillum and while I do not own a Scag yet, I will by spring...looking at a 61" Tiger Cat...just have to decide on which engine...

Cheers/bg

That will be a nice mower. Post some pictures here when you get it. :smile:

T

tbart16

Hello I am Tom from Pennsylvania
I own a 2004 Tiger Cub that I bought new absolutely awesome mower!!

J

Jgreenlee81187

Hi I just purchased a tiger cat 52 inch cut with a 22 horse Kawasaki. It's the fx691v motor. I've been told by 3 different dealerships including the one I purchased it from to crank the mower at full throttle, to shut it off at full throttle, to engage blades at full throttle, and disengage at full throttle. I've never heard such a thing on any other lawn mower but I have been told if I didn't do it that it would eventually blow a head gasket. Seems backwards to me. Also, the owners manual says to crank normally, half throttle when starting and idle when shutting off. I would just like to get some feedback on this and see if any other scag owners have been told this.

tigercat

tigercat

Hi I just purchased a tiger cat 52 inch cut with a 22 horse Kawasaki. It's the fx691v motor. I've been told by 3 different dealerships including the one I purchased it from to crank the mower at full throttle, to shut it off at full throttle, to engage blades at full throttle, and disengage at full throttle. I've never heard such a thing on any other lawn mower but I have been told if I didn't do it that it would eventually blow a head gasket. Seems backwards to me. Also, the owners manual says to crank normally, half throttle when starting and idle when shutting off. I would just like to get some feedback on this and see if any other scag owners have been told this.

I have the same mower, nice machine!

In my humble opinion, your dealer is full of it!:confused2:

Engage the PTO at 3/4 throttle and mow at full rpm. You can idle it down to shut it off. Turn off the PTO anytime you want.:thumbsup:

W

whelch1

I agree with tigercat. What he said is exactly what my dealer told me, and it also said the same thing in my owners manual.

M

Mad Mackie

The Scag operators manual has the best recommendations.
I turn the PTO on and off at full throttle, but just my way of operating, I do inspect the clutch periodically and I keep a new clutch in my parts stash.
On small engines that are governed, the throttle control is connected to the engine governor, the governor is connected to the throttle in the carburetor. When the engine is running, the governor controls the engine RPM based on where it is set by the throttle control. When an engine is shut down at full throttle, as the RPMs decrease, the governor pushes the carb throttle plate to wide open in an attempt to maintain RPM. This causes maximum fuel flow from the carb to enter the hot engine that no longer has spark at its spark plugs. This unburned fuel then passes into the hot muffler. Sometimes this hot fuel will burn in the muffler causing a loud bang and possible damage to the muffler. Most engines have a fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb which will stop fuel flow when the keyswitch is in the off position, but the carb fuel bowl will still be full of fuel and this is the fuel that will enter the engine and muffler.
Some techs will say this happens with most generators, many small mowers and other power equipment and they are correct. So why not do it to your lawn mower, what difference does it make??
If an engine has an adjustable throttle control, then use it to start a cold engine at a lower RPM and shut down a hot engine at lower RPM.
Almost all ZTRs have some type of engine driven drive system, and consideration to the drive systems and let them warm up some at a cold start I think is a sensible way to operate a machine.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing:

J

Jgreenlee81187

Thanks for the replys. Not sure why the dealerships have told me this but I am definitely gonna go by the owners manuals recommendations. I've been mowing with a zero turn for about eight years now and this is the first time I've ever heard such.

C

chevy_cowboy

Guess I never got around to introducing myself when I joined last year.

My name's Paul, I don't mow commercially but between our house and business lots I mow about 5 acres. I finally got fed up with disposable consumer grade mowers in early 2012 when my Craftsman was giving me troubles and started researching commercial machines. It didn't take me long to decide on a Scag and in May 2012 I bought a new 61" Turf Tiger with the Kawi 29 DFI engine. Other than a weird no fuel issue it gave me late last fall, its been trouble free and probably cut my mowing time by 60% or more a week.

tigercat

tigercat

Hi Paul. Welcome to the party.

KTMery

KTMery

Checking in sirs.
New to the forum and enjoy reading the assists, mods, and guidance provided by all of you. Seems like a great forum full of good people.
I am mowing ~3 acres weekly and it takes better than 6 hours on a craftsman rider, trimming included.
I searched and found a low hour (180) Tiger Cat in the Dallas area for my first, and hopefully last, commercial duty mower. It has the 48" Velocity deck and was my preference for getting around/thru the trees on the property. I was hoping to find a Kawasaki powered unit but instead, settled for the Kohler Command Pro 25. Today I finished pulling all the spindle grease zerks and replaced them with 45 degree zerks...made it easily accessible for the lubing task. Why does scag not include zerks on the front wheel spindles? Is there some fear they'll be sheared off while working? I still need to pull the rear wheels for access to the zerks there....any suggestions for making those easier to service? I think I saw someone recommending 90 degree but not positive, guess I'll install and see if they're accessible without removing wheels.
Ordered an LED light bar to mount on the ROPs as I found myself mowing well past dusk last week...it's not work on this mower! I'll probably post a question later on best location to get 12V.

I look forward to many years of service from this mower and numerous interesting post from you and others!

Regards, KTMery

J

johnsonslandscaping

Hello, My name is Dylan.

I have a 2012 Scag Freedom Z with a 61 inch cut, now known as the Freedom z Pro.

I use this mower in my fleet for commercial and residential use.

scag.jpg

tigercat

tigercat

Hi KTMery, Hi Dylan. You guys have great machines!

M

Mad Mackie

Checking in sirs.
New to the forum and enjoy reading the assists, mods, and guidance provided by all of you. Seems like a great forum full of good people.
I am mowing ~3 acres weekly and it takes better than 6 hours on a craftsman rider, trimming included.
I searched and found a low hour (180) Tiger Cat in the Dallas area for my first, and hopefully last, commercial duty mower. It has the 48" Velocity deck and was my preference for getting around/thru the trees on the property. I was hoping to find a Kawasaki powered unit but instead, settled for the Kohler Command Pro 25. Today I finished pulling all the spindle grease zerks and replaced them with 45 degree zerks...made it easily accessible for the lubing task. Why does scag not include zerks on the front wheel spindles? Is there some fear they'll be sheared off while working? I still need to pull the rear wheels for access to the zerks there....any suggestions for making those easier to service? I think I saw someone recommending 90 degree but not positive, guess I'll install and see if they're accessible without removing wheels.
Ordered an LED light bar to mount on the ROPs as I found myself mowing well past dusk last week...it's not work on this mower! I'll probably post a question later on best location to get 12V.

I look forward to many years of service from this mower and numerous interesting post from you and others!

Regards, KTMery
Here are pics of the grease fitting changes that I recommend which make scheduled servicing easier.PA100008.JPGPA100006.JPGPA100005.JPG
These mods allow you to lube these areas easily from above with the seat lifted. The rear wheels no longer need to be removed to lube the parking brake actuators.
I'm not sure why you installed a 45 degree fitting in the spindles as they are straight in. I use a pistol grip type grease gun with a flex hose, however I do use a 90 degree adapter on the flex hose. Spindle grease type is not the same as chassis lube. You may use the spindle specific lube on the entire machine, but not the chassis lube on the spindles.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing:

L

Leroy

Scag Tiger Cat 2015

Iam Leroy Formean
Just bought a 2015 Tiger Cat
First time to own a Scag. I live on 20 acres mow about 8 acres.I have joined the forum to learn the ins and outs of Scag mowers

tigercat

tigercat

Hi Leroy, pull up a chair, great bunch of guys in here.

T

Tjs4rvfun

Hello, I'm new to this forum. My name is Tim and I have a 2011 Freedom Z 52 inch with 19H Kaw.

G

gopguy

Hi guys been lurking here for weeks debating what my new mower would be and I want to thank everyone as I found a lot of helpful advice here in making my decision.

I moved from a nice little place by a state park that sat on one and a half acres so my old mowers were adequate. For 26 years I used a 1986 Bolens hydrostatic tractor with a 48 inch deck, that was thrown into the deal when I moved back from Washington DC and bought my first house. That mower was supplemented in the fall by attaching a cyclone rake. Great mower but pretty slow. We moved out by the park in '94 and I continued using the Bolens but was lusting a zero turn a neighbor had. I made the mistake of mentioning to my wife that I wanted to get a zero turn about 14 years ago, just a couple weeks before Fathers day. My intent was for me to go get what I wanted but she and the kids jumped the gun, went out to Sears and got me a Craftsman ZT7500 without asking exactly what I was thinking. Not what I would have bought... but what can you do, it was a Father's day present. So you smile, say thank you and make it work. lol And with all the trees I had and thin grass due to all the shade, really it has been pretty good, until the move.

With the new place I now have a good excuse to step up. Its a 25 acre mini farm. 12 acres tillable, woods and pond and about 7 to 8 acres needing mowing. That old Craftsman gets hot and is choking on the grass here, had to mow at a crawl and frequently stop and back up before it stalled out. It flat out could not handle the job anymore. After a lot of research here and elsewhere I decided to step up to the Scag Cheetah, 61 inch, FX850 Kawasaki Engine. It was delivered yesterday and all I can say is WOW. It moves fast and handles even the heavy grass without a hitch. I plan to head out shortly and finish the job today, clearly this will cut my time on the lawn by many hours, I am delighted. Thanks guys for your sage comments.

24x47t5.jpg

tigercat

tigercat

Welcome! Your mower is sure pretty.......

These Scag commercial machines mow grass really well. 3" or 3 feet in chops it all down and leaves it looking like you used a collection system to suck it all up.

Up here in Connecticut, it was very cold and raining till about 3 weeks ago, so the grass just started growing. I let my lawn get a little too long (about 18" tall and started to seed). I ran the Tiger Cat around for the first time last evening. Watching all that grass blowing out the exhaust put a smile on my face.The lawn looks great and I didn't have to ride over the same areas 2 or 3 times like the residential machines.

You made a good choice on Scag.

G

gopguy

Thanks Tiger Cat, I think I made an excellent choice too. I have now mowed the entire yard with it and it did take a ten hour job down to four hours. I am delighted. There was a section I left alone last year and was considering letting go back wild, it was not too thick but it was about 15 inches tall and the Cheetah zipped through it like nothing. She does want to move fast, almost reminds me of walking my dog and how I have to restrain him. LOL Hopefully she will continue to do nothing but impress.

O

Old Copper

Hi folks.
New to the forum & wanted to say hello. Own a 2010 John Deere LA135 garden tractor, A 1990 Case/IH, a 1990 Cub Cadet 1872, a 1975 Ford 1600, I have dad's old 1948 Ferguson that is in need of lots & lots of loving care and recently purchased my 1st Zero-Turn Mower from Scag after doing research on these mowers.

The Ford & Case/IH are functional, the Ford needing some minor tinkering, new glow plug, fuel filters, new seat & a good cleaning.

The 1872 is currently in need of ICU -- but shouldn't be a major issue.

The Deere is 5 yrs old, and does an adequate job, but the 42" deck & high center of gravity makes it a "no-no" on slopes. Otherwise, it's like new.

The Scag Tiger Cat demo came from about 2 blocks away @ J & E Equipment. Wonderful folks & beyond excellent customer service. It, like the old 1872, has a 61" deck (60 on Cadet) for 5' for mowing pleasure. Too wide for a ditch with street signs on the top edge, but otherwise a mower with thick metal deck, good turning (the 1872 has lock-brakes on each side for sharp turns) & high quality metal frame. I can cut our place in 1/2 the time or less using the Scag which is a real time saver.

My favorite mower was the 1st I purchased @ Sears during college. Worked p/t there & on campus, & got a Craftsman heavy solid garden tractor. Unfortunately I let my mom keep it @ her house, and the guy running it poured gas into it while running. Gas caught & fire destroyed tractor.

I love old machinery including road vehicles & have restored a number of 60's vintage Mustangs & Vietnam Era military trucks. Now due to increasing poor health, I have to depend on trustworthy folks to do the hands-on stuff beyond routine maintenance.

Ok, that's me in a nutshell folks. Glad to find the forum and plan to make extensive use of it. I don't post a lot unless it's a topic on which I have a strong feeling. Thanks for reading. :)

D

deamer1

Hello OldCopper!

Welcome to the forum. It's been useful for me and I really enjoy the input from everyone.
I like your new machine! My scag is a 2002 Turf Tiger, which has 2000 hrs on it. The paint is worn and scratched but it mows very well. I keep it maintained as needed. We mow approximately eight acres with rolling hills, plenty of trees and open areas. I replaced all the spindles last year as I broke one of them and thought it was a good thing to replace them all. Once I got into it, I found out it was time to replace them.
Enjoy the forum and that nice machine.
Deamer1

W

wrcox

William Cox And I have A 2012 52inch freedom Z

C

clay45

2013 TigerCat 52"

V

V6Pony

Hi All:

First post. Just bought a Scag Tiger Cat with 52" deck and Kwa engine. My first ZT. I had a Cub Cadet 2550 that I have used for the last 12 years or so. I was starting to have a lot of small problems with it so I decided to try ZT

Got it last night and mowed the yard "It did not need to be mowed". I really worked well and I was quite happy with it. When I first started took some time to get used to the controls by the time I finished I was doing better. Have a way to go before I really get good with this. But I am very happy with the way it performed and how it operates. I was quite impressed with the speed of the machine it flat fly's compared to my CC.

jekjr

jekjr

Hi All: First post. Just bought a Scag Tiger Cat with 52" deck and Kwa engine. My first ZT. I had a Cub Cadet 2550 that I have used for the last 12 years or so. I was starting to have a lot of small problems with it so I decided to try ZT Got it last night and mowed the yard "It did not need to be mowed". I really worked well and I was quite happy with it. When I first started took some time to get used to the controls by the time I finished I was doing better. Have a way to go before I really get good with this. But I am very happy with the way it performed and how it operates. I was quite impressed with the speed of the machine it flat fly's compared to my CC.

We have two of those machines like yours. I was running a ZD 326 Kubota and when I purchased my first Tiger Cat and ran it. I traded the big Kubota in and got another Scag. Will probably purchase a third next year.

I have never seen a machine that will cut stemmed grass close to as clean in the first pass.

You won't regret your purchase.

J

James79761

James and I have a 2014 Scag Freedom Z 52 inch

John R

John R

2016 Tiger Cat II, Kaw FX730V, and a 61" deck, this is a great mower, before this I mowed with a Kubota tractor with a 60" belly mower.

What a difference the ZT makes.

G

gogojuice

John...

How is the cut compared to the belly mower. I have a bx with a belly mower, and I am thinking about getting a tiger cat.

John R

John R

The belly mower on the Kubota did a great job, the Tiger Cat does a great job in half the time.

H

Herbie

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say I'm new to the forum. This isn't my first post as I had a purchase question before making a decision. I have been using a John Deere GT235 garden tractor for the past 11 years. It has been a great mower. After deciding it was time for a zero turn, I found this forum. Scag seemed to get a lot of positive recommendations so I started researching. To make a long story short, I took delivery of a new Cheetah 52" deck yesterday. Thanks for any and all advice.

John R

John R

Congratulations.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

P

Parajax

Hey yall! Just bought a Scag Patriot with 52" deck. Used it for the 1st tune this evening and was really impressed. It is a huge step up from the Freedom Z that I'd been using on my yard. Looking forward to many years with my Patriot!

H

Herbie

Congratulations! You will enjoy your Patriot for many years.

D

dsbrew1

Name is Corey. I co-own a 2011 scag turf tiger 61". Just kind of getting into the whole riding scag thing. Always had 48" walk behinds before. Couldn't pass up the deal. I'll try to load pictures later.

L

land_owner

G'day Mates. Land_Owner here and new to the Forum. I'm a homeowner and Hobby Farmer. I use a Massey Ferguson 275 for planting Wildlife Food Plots. I am considering the purchase of a 2008 Tiger Cat 48 with 1,300 hours on it. The shell looks great, is very clean, shows some rust on "bright metal" and coil spring parts where the mower has been not only used but stored in a Pole Barn and exposed to the salt-laden atmosphere of the Atlantic Coast in mid-Florida for the past 6-months. I have read all of the welcome posts, started SEARCH for "Tiger Cat" to read other's Q's and your A's, and am amassing a "Used Mower" set of questions for the current owner. It won't be my first TC but that first one, purchased brand new, and still with less than 250 hours on it, went to the Ex. I am hooked on commercial Scag though. No doubt about it. See you in the Forums with A LOT of follow-on questions.

G

Gary 55

Hi my name is Gary I'm paralyzed from the waist down just got a scag patriot it's winter here in Alabama but riding it every day going down to feed the cats and horses my only complaint the steering levers are so stiff glad to be here on the forum.

55TBird

55TBird

Greetings. I just bought two Skags. The mower I've been lusting after for 13 years — a 61" Turf Tiger. And a 48 Freedom Z for my son. It has rained for the past several days so I haven't even had a chance to mow yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I traded in a Cub Cadet Commercial Tank I had for 13 years. But I always wanted a Turf Tiger.

55TBird

55TBird

Ok, I mowed with the TT for the first time and WOW. That will take some getting used to. It's like switching from a trail horse to a race horse. I'm used to pushing the handles all the way forward most of the time, but that isn't going to work. The Turf Tiger is really fast and will require a lot more touch. My lot is hilly and rough with a lot of obstacles including ditches. I welcome the speed where I can use it, but everything is so different from my old mower I really need to retrain my muscle memory. But I can tell I'm going to love mowing with this beast.

J

Jeeper

Hi, I bought a 2005 turf tiger last fall after wanting one for some time. It's older but was used by a homeowner so it had a reasonable about of hours and is in very good condition. Happy so far but will be posting a thread for help with a little issue I'm having.

G

GGOSSLER

Morning to All:

Will pick up my Scag Tiger Cat 2, 52" with Kawasaki FX691 this afternoon, sold Gravely HDZT with same engine,
was six years old, no problems with Gravely, just the dealer was 35 miles away. Scag dealer is 7 miles away,
very impressed with the Scag, have done lots of research, and believe it to be a fine machine. Will make a
post after I have had an opportunity to try it out.

Greg Gossler

G

GFGT

Hello from Indiana!

I've owned my Turf Tiger for almost 13 years now and it's been a great machine. Starting to get into some repairs now but I would recommend a Scag to anyone asking. Thanks for the add to the forum.

45lcman

just got an older scag tiger cub

45lcman

Hello I am Tom from Pennsylvania
I own a 2004 Tiger Cub that I bought new absolutely awesome mower!!

have you changed out the center spindle on the mower deck? mine is a 48 inch deck and i can't seem to get the drive pulley off. The other 2 spindles and pulley s came off no problem

Stevevtx04

Stevevtx04

Hello from Tennessee,
Just purchased my first Zero Turn Mower after much research and input from several home users as well as commercial mowers. (Scag Liberty Z 48" deck, Kawi motor). It came down to a Bob Cat CRZ or the Scag Liberty Z, still think both are great mowers but the Scag won out and I'm thrilled so far. This mower seems to be built like a tank and my mow time went from 1.5 hrs to 23 minutes. I race in Triathlons (Including Ironman distance) in addition to my full time job so when I'm not training I want to spend as much time with my wife and kids as possible. This Scag just gave me an extra hour and change to spend more time with the family each week, that's a big deal to my very understanding family. I'm actually looking forward to mowing this weekend!

B

Bearheart

Re: New to the Forum

Howdy, Bearheart here -- in the Bluegrass of Kentucky -- new to the forum, but imagine I'll be checking in a lot now that my Tiger Cub is starting to have problems. Have a Scag - STC48A, Kawasaki 19 HP engine, 48" deck. My dad bought it about 2002 and I've had it since 2012, a solid mower used typically to cut 2.5 acres every week April - Oct, probably should cut more frequently in the spring, if I had more time. Replaced the PTO clutch, cutter deck belt, drive belt, cutter deck switch and a few other items over the years - I'm guessing standard wear & tear over 15 years, so can't complain. Unfortunately, now getting into some more serious issues that I'll be checking the forum for solutions on, soon. I'm not a mechanic and don't have the experience many of you have, but hopefully some of you have weathered the storm I'm about to go through and are kind enough to help me through. Buying another machine simply isn't an option at this juncture, so I'm gonna keep this one rolling as long as I can!

M

mrmachinist

Hello everyone,

I purchased a 2007 Tiger Cub 48" with the 19hp Kawi about 3 years ago. Its been a great mower up until the last few weeks, hence the reason I found this forum. Im having some weird electrical issues. Im going to do some searching around before I ask any questions.

I am active on other forums, just never had an issue with my Scag that I needed to look up before.

R

realeight

New to the zero turn club

I acquired a 2007 60" Turf Tiger that runs great...until yesterday. I was cutting some pretty heavy stuff when it conked out. Figuring I just stalled it out, I tried to restart. Engine fired up as usual but when I try to engage the blades, it shuts down. I lifted the front end up with hoist thinking I ran over some rope or something, but nothing there. What gives?? It was cutting like a champ but now it's nothing. Is there some sort of blade safety interrupt circuit? Help!!

55TBird

55TBird

Re: New to the zero turn club

I acquired a 2007 60" Turf Tiger that runs great...until yesterday. I was cutting some pretty heavy stuff when it conked out. Figuring I just stalled it out, I tried to restart. Engine fired up as usual but when I try to engage the blades, it shuts down. I lifted the front end up with hoist thinking I ran over some rope or something, but nothing there. What gives?? It was cutting like a champ but now it's nothing. Is there some sort of blade safety interrupt circuit? Help!!

Not a mechanic, don't know electrical, but had a similar problem before. A spindle bearing had give out and seized up. Couldn't see anything, but couldn't turn blades by hand. One spindle was hot so it was easy to find.

Now, with something stopping your blades like a seized bearing, or if you've collected some barbed wire, it stops your engine suddenly. But if it's an electrical cut off, the engine will sound like it does when you turn the key off.

Good luck.

M

mrmachinist

Re: New to the zero turn club

I have had the same issues recently with my 07 tiger cub. I wasn't cutting heavy grass when it append but it would die when the blades were engaged. I ended up finding a bad battery, then it was blowing fuses, then I found the electric pto coil was shorted out. Just put a new clutch on friday evening and spent about 4 hours on it cutting some 3 week old ( around a foot tall ) grass with no issues yesterday.

I would check your fuses, check the resistance on the pto clutch should not be 0, should be around .01-.1, also check your switch to see if it melted like mine did as well. Im not a mower mechanic, but that is what I have found on mine. Hope that helps

Moe Fun

Moe Fun

Re: Scag Owner Check-In - 48" Liberty Z

New member here. I've pushed a mower for over 55 years, but the old hip joints are worn out and painful now, so it's time for a rider. With the encouragement of my wife, we pulled the trigger on a 48" Liberty Z with 18 HP Kawasaki, to be delivered this coming Tuesday. It's a lot cheaper than surgery. :laughing:

Homer1

Homer1

Howdy folks. Don't guess I ever "checked in" so here I am :)

I'm in KY, mowing daily with a 2015-2016 Freedom Z Pro 52" with Briggs CT power, now called the Patriot. Got her on sale a few years ago, was old stock before they added the "Pro" decal, then went to the Patriot.

Looking back I wish I had waited, the new model offers a Kaw engine and folding ROPS. Guess you live and learn. Still love the cut, and overall reliability. It was my first ZTR and I am hell bent on Scag quality now. I probably won't purchase anything "new" unless it's a Scag ever again.

I've also inherited a JD tractor mower, and most recently a Husqvarna 6127 commercial that I am currently restoring. Life is good. Love mowing, keeps me busy and out of the house!

Cheers.

thefreedom1.jpg

S

Subdivisionbigdog

New member here. Proud owner of a Scag Liberty Z w/48 deck and Kohler engine. Also own a 1996 John Deere 325. Absolutely still blown away with the quality, performance and cut of my scag.View attachment 34606

jekjr

jekjr

New member here. Proud owner of a Scag Liberty Z w/48 deck and Kohler engine. Also own a 1996 John Deere 325. Absolutely still blown away with the quality, performance and cut of my scag.View attachment 34606

I started running Scags in 2014 commercially. I have three Tiger Cats with Kawasaki engines and 52" decks. We cut an incredible amount of grass with them. I have never witnessed anything that will cut Pensacola Bahia grass with one that has fresh blades on it. I have one that is in the 1700 hour range and has been more than abused and it has had few breakdowns. The newest will be 2 years old in April and it has over 700 hours on it.
You will never go wrong with a Scag mower they are incredible.

R

Round2it

I am James and I have a 2015 Cheetah w/61" deck - I call her Cheetah. I felt cheated after one year of the 3 year warranty. Cheetah broke her engine. Kohler 29 EFI. Just stopped running. Hauled it in and one month later I got her back. Welch plug in crank shaft popped out and gaulded the crank to the block. New short block from Kohler shipped and installed. No problems since but my glass is half empty after this event.

I am not in business but have 5 acres to mow in Florida. Scag is my first Zero turn and I am amazed at the time saved using a Cheetah. I don't mow in high gear, it's to fast. I may have purchased an overkill mower but....I am looking at a Grasshopper 721D w/61" power deck. Believe it is a 2006 with 517 hours. It has been well taken care of from an estate sale.

Please feel free to add your 2 cents / advice /wisdom to a new member. Send the bill to Round2it in Fl.

jekjr

jekjr

I am James and I have a 2015 Cheetah w/61" deck - I call her Cheetah. I felt cheated after one year of the 3 year warranty. Cheetah broke her engine. Kohler 29 EFI. Just stopped running. Hauled it in and one month later I got her back. Welch plug in crank shaft popped out and gaulded the crank to the block. New short block from Kohler shipped and installed. No problems since but my glass is half empty after this event.

I am not in business but have 5 acres to mow in Florida. Scag is my first Zero turn and I am amazed at the time saved using a Cheetah. I don't mow in high gear, it's to fast. I may have purchased an overkill mower but....I am looking at a Grasshopper 721D w/61" power deck. Believe it is a 2006 with 517 hours. It has been well taken care of from an estate sale.

Please feel free to add your 2 cents / advice /wisdom to a new member. Send the bill to Round2it in Fl.

I run 3 Tiger Cats in my business. "IN MY PERSONAL OPINION" Your issue lies in the Kohler engine, not the Scag mower. We run Kawasaki engines. I personally have never talked to anybody that runs mowers with the Kohler's that have not had issues with them. Several were catastrophic failures like you described. I have never operated a Grasshopper mower and I know of no dealer in my area. I do know that I have never operated nor watched anybody else operate anything that will out cut a Scag.

IN other words don't cut off your nose to spite your face. if you are going to trade, get a Scag with a Kawasaki. I have not met anybody that had problems with them. I have not heard anybody with a Vanguard that has had problems either.

R

Round2it

You are right about the engine not Scag. I do like the feel and cut of a Scag. Kohler caused my mower to be down for a month. I had a Kubota B6100 tractor with a 48" finish mower that I used to cut with and I have the opportunity to get another Kubota Diesel with a mower attached this time. Good on fuel economy. Thanks for your insight and wisdom. James

2manyboats

First time SCAG owner

Hello everyone. I am new to the zero turn world, except for having watched them work, wondering why anyone would use anything else for mowing large areas. I bought this SCAG Tiger Cat used, a 2012 with only 240 hours on it. This thing is a tank. My reason for purchase is to rough cut some acreage I own that is currently very heavily wooded, but being cleared of understory brush a little at a time. No, I am not using it for that, but to mow weeds and grass in the cleared areas. Last weekend I was mowing through weeds 4 feet tall on rough terrain- no rocks, just bumpy. As long as I went slow enough to keep the RPM's up, she chewed through everything, clearing about 5 acres in a couple of hours. My kidneys may never be the same...

T

tony75

Hello...I have a SCAG Tiger Cub I bought used in 2017. It's a 2004, rebuilt Kawasaki engine, 48" deck. Hydraulics work great no leaks. This winter, I'm getting the rear rims and deck sandblasted and powder coated. After using it summer of 2017, I don't know why anyone would ever own anything other than a SCAG or similar commercial mower. Love it and will never turn back.

Txjape

Txjape

Hello everyone. I'm JP -I am Head Groundskeeper for a local Little League. We maintain 16 baseball fields with roughly 40 acres of turf to manage.

We own three Scag ZT Mowers (Turf Tiger, STT72A-27KA; Wildcat, STWC52V-26KA-LC; Cheetah, SCZ48V-25CV).

We have accumulated these over the years and weren't terribly forward thinking when making the purchases. The 48" has the flexibility to get into tight areas in our common areas, but with so much turf and so little labor (and funds) available, the 52" deck on the Wildcat is not as productive as the Turf Tiger and its 72" deck.

I've got two objectives:
A) acquire the largest compatible deck for the Wildcat;
B) improve and fine tune the cutting performance of my fleet, including balancing and leveling an aged and abused 72" Advantage deck on the Turf Tiger, and potentially installing a mulch kit on the machines to help reduce the size and visibility of the clippings (with 16 baseball fields and 26 acres inside the fences, it isn't feasible to bag them).

The fields we maintain have Bermuda turf.

To begin, can anyone speak to the largest compatible deck for the Wildcat (26HP LC Kawasaki), and second, I just cannot seem to get the Advantage deck level regardless of how I've adjusted the tension bars. Is it likely the entire deck could be bent? On a level surface, I'm get a level reading on the deck, but the left front and right rear caster wheel do not touch the ground (even when adjusting the bar to the point there is slack in the chain).

Thanks everyone!

L

Luffydog

jack it up and look at the blades tip to tip and 180 tip to tip for bent blades if think they r bent pull off to verify not sure get new blades then put back and repeat. if good and not off after replacing. google how to level your deck. be easier than trying explain how. if u come up with nothing post back.

jekjr

jekjr

jack it up and look at the blades tip to tip and 180 tip to tip for bent blades if think they r bent pull off to verify not sure get new blades then put back and repeat. if good and not off after replacing. google how to level your deck. be easier than trying explain how. if u come up with nothing post back.

99% of your leveling issues with a Scag are going to be tire pressures. We have seen instances where two or three pounds difference in rear tires will make a noticeable difference.

If you are cutting that much grass then you need to changing blades daily or more. than once daily.

Some times we cut over 25 acres in a day with three Tiger Cats with 52" decks.

Richandtd

Richandtd

Hello everyone I currently have a jd x324 an 07 runs great with a 48” deck. I cut about 5 acres a week. Bought it new and I am looking into getting a diesel scag with 61” cut. I’m a retired ENC (SW) USN and want to get my last mower in life; that will be reliable and get good fuel economy. The x324 does a good job but i want to spend less time mowing and more time entertaining wife and our Boston Terrier. Was at first thinking of a Bad Boy but from my research Scag is a better machine. Lots of intresting information here.

L

Luffydog

When you start looking and comparing from brake handles to seats and the plastic it will be a no brainer to you. Orange is the better way to go.

HammerheadC4

HammerheadC4

Hi everyone, I got my first ZTR about a week ago. It's a Scag Liberty Z with a 21hp Kawasaki and a 48 inch deck.
I got to mow with it once so far. I like it very much.
I had considered a Exmark Quest S and a Ferris 400s. For my use I'm sure anyone of them would have served me well.
I had purchased some small outdoor power equipment from the Scag dealer before, and had purchased my Massey GC1710 from the Ferris dealer.
I just felt the Scag dealer was the best dealer for this purchase.

Attachments

P

P7K3

Good luck with your new Liberty, I bought one last summer. Love it!!!

M

madmaxglass

Hi I'm Mike from Maryland. Owner of a Scag Tiger Cub 42 v. Cut 4 acres of lawn and meadow at my homestead. Can't wait for warm weather.

D

Dwellonroof

New here, I'm Martin from east of Cincinnati and am a new used Scag TT owner she's a Cat diesel with around 340 hours and a 2015 model year I'm thinking.
I did have another 20-25 year old TT that was used to mow ballfields with a lot of hours on it and needed the Kohler engine replaced or rebuilt but it did run but had to rotate replacing the spark plugs eash mow.
That being said I noticed a slight oil leak at either a bolt or plug which I'm afraid to remove not knowing if it connects to the camshaft or something else inside.
It anyone here can help I would be grateful.
IMG_1112_LI.jpgIMG_1110_LI.jpg

D

Darryl G

New here, I'm Martin from east of Cincinnati and am a new used Scag TT owner she's a Cat diesel with around 340 hours and a 2015 model year I'm thinking.
I did have another 20-25 year old TT that was used to mow ballfields with a lot of hours on it and needed the Kohler engine replaced or rebuilt but it did run but had to rotate replacing the spark plugs eash mow.
That being said I noticed a slight oil leak at either a bolt or plug which I'm afraid to remove not knowing if it connects to the camshaft or something else inside.
It anyone here can help I would be grateful.
View attachment 37251View attachment 37252
I suggest that you create a separate thread requesting help with this issue. I don't think that many of the forum members who routinely answer such questions will see it here.

N

Nkytt2

New to the forum and new to scag. Just bought a new house with about 6 acres to mow. We are planning on this being our forever home, so I bought my forever mower to help minimize my mowing time. I went with the TT2 with the 37 efi. I only mowed the yard twice this year and loved it. Third time out the blades just stopped, the belt had popped off. I checked the manual, not much help. I put the belt back on a few times and every time it came off when the pto was engaged. I looked a little harder and most of the bolts holding the gear box had fallen out and the gear box was lose. Mower only has 5 hours on it. I called my dealer and he is picking it up tomorrow. A little frustrated, spent a lot of $ for the" best", and now my yard is turning into a hayfield while I wait for repairs.

L

Luffydog

Welcome aboard neighbor in the blue grass. Had one new that didn't have any oil it from factory while mowing before an hr was on meter the gearbox locked up tight. Fixed it fairly quickly and went over the rest of the unit to look for damage it might have caused. Just the belt was the only other thing that had damage to it. It was all covered. But like you said wouldn't except something like that to happen but we all are human and make mistakes and those mistakes makes bed experiences for and leaves a bad taste in mouths that last awhile. Again welcome aboard Bg neighbor.

D

drew7811

New to the forum and new to scag. Just bought a new house with about 6 acres to mow. We are planning on this being our forever home, so I bought my forever mower to help minimize my mowing time. I went with the TT2 with the 37 efi. I only mowed the yard twice this year and loved it. Third time out the blades just stopped, the belt had popped off. I checked the manual, not much help. I put the belt back on a few times and every time it came off when the pto was engaged. I looked a little harder and most of the bolts holding the gear box had fallen out and the gear box was lose. Mower only has 5 hours on it. I called my dealer and he is picking it up tomorrow. A little frustrated, spent a lot of $ for the" best", and now my yard is turning into a hayfield while I wait for repairs.

Welcome to the forum NKYTT2. Are you in northern KY? I am also an NKY resident in southern Boone county. I bought a TT with the 35hp Briggs new 5 going on 6yrs ago and have loved it. Sorry to hear about your troubles. That's very odd and disappointing it happened on a brand new machine. Hopefully it was just a one off occurrence and you have trouble free mowing once you get it back.

jekjr

jekjr

Welcome aboard neighbor in the blue grass. Had one new that didn't have any oil it from factory while mowing before an hr was on meter the gearbox locked up tight. Fixed it fairly quickly and went over the rest of the unit to look for damage it might have caused. Just the belt was the only other thing that had damage to it. It was all covered. But like you said wouldn't except something like that to happen but we all are human and make mistakes and those mistakes makes bed experiences for and leaves a bad taste in mouths that last awhile. Again welcome aboard Bg neighbor.

You got the best. That is just a fluke.

jer_d

jer_d

Hi, I'm Jerry and new to the forum. I live on a small farm in western N.C. and have been using a 14 year old Kubota B7510 to mow with. Having a small compact tractor is convenient for more than just mowing but thought it was time for an upgrade. After much research, and finally just talking to a student of mine whose family was in the mowing business, I settled on a Scag Tiger Cat 2 and am very please that I did. I, along with my neighbor's help, mow about 6 acres that used to be pasture, but now looks kind of like a golf course. The Scag uses more fuel than the Kubota diesel did but we're making up for it on reduced time spent mowing.

T

tommygun715

New Tiger Cat 2 owner here, from WI. I replaced a Gravely Pro Turn 52" with a TC2 52" Kawasaki, late last year. I was looking for the best, cleanest, level cut, which is why I went with the Scag. I found this forum because I'm trying to fine tune my deck. I don't think it's cutting up to it's full potential. Glad to be here!IMG_20171022_133310.jpg

Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Hello all.
We live in southern Illinois and mow about 5 acres. This usually takes the two of us most of the weekend with our old standard riders. Until now that is. Saturday we took delivery of a Scag Patriot, and I mowed the whole thing that afternoon.
I hope to add a DIY canopy and some lights for evening use. Looking forward to participating in this great forum.
AD

S

Stiggers

Hi I have a Scag Freedom Z 52” cut I bought new in 2008, so it’s either a 07 or 08 model. It hasn’t given me any trouble and I am very pleased with the mower. Today though I tried to use it & was disappointed to find that it will crank and start for just a second, then die. I made sure it’s getting gas to the carburetor & it is getting spark. Does anyone have a thought where to start Troubleshooting on this.

Thanks

grewterd

grewterd

Hi, I'm Scott. In Tennessee, go VOLS!

Just purchased a Tiger Cat II 42" with Kawasaki engine, upgraded to the suspension seat and mulch system. Only mowed once (the day I got her delivered), but coming from a 15 year old Murray 40", wow, what a difference. This is my first ZTR and even with learning how to drive and stopping to talk to my father in law, I still got done in about half the time. I don't have a big yard (every one is asking how big my yard is when I show them my new toy) but I have many obstacles and the comfortable seat helps with my back. Can't wait for Friday to mow!

Scag TC2 day 0.jpg
Scag TC2 day 1.jpg

J

jared1215

Just checking in as a new SCAG, first ZTR mower, owner. Recently purchased a new Tiger Cat II 48" for home use.
Mowing behind a Honda self propelled in South MS heat/humidity simply got old.
Thanks in advance for those who share your experience and knowledge on this forum.

grewterd

grewterd

Just checking in as a new SCAG, first ZTR mower, owner. Recently purchased a new Tiger Cat II 48" for home use.
Mowing behind a Honda self propelled in South MS heat/humidity simply got old.
Thanks in advance for those who share your experience and knowledge on this forum.

Welcome to the club! Hailing from Columbus, MS originally but did some time in Hazlehurst, Brandon, Greenville, Tupelo, up in Knoxville, TN now. Good choice on the mower, you'll love the TC2, this was my first ZTR also. I love it.

T

Tinstafl

New Member and fairly new Turf Tiger 2 owner. I had an exmark for the last ten years. Like my scag but sometimes wish it had a bit more power. That is ok though for those times I just pull the batwing I guess. The cut is great and it is much more stable then the exmark. I have lots of hills that I have to mow.

S

SHVLHEAD

New member checking in. Currently only own 1 Scag WB...SWZ48. A 20 year old machine that wasnt pleasing to look at when i first purchased her a year ago, but she cleaned up nice and the Kawasaki FC420 still has a lot of life left in her. The previous owner stored the unit outside in the elements so the deck is showing some rust and eventually i would like to get around to refinishing this portion. Anyway...looking forward to the forum.

Stone

S

srw101

Hello all new member here, glad to meet you all. I mow roughly 3 acres and have owned my 48" tiger cub with the 21 hp kawi motor for 12 yrs mostly trouble free. You'll likely see me drop by time to time to ask questions and I try to be thorough before I post but sometimes I get in a hurry.
See ya all around:smile:

tigercat

tigercat

Hello all new member here, glad to meet you all. I mow roughly 3 acres and have owned my 48" tiger cub with the 21 hp kawi motor for 12 yrs mostly trouble free. You'll likely see me drop by time to time to ask questions and I try to be thorough before I post but sometimes I get in a hurry.
See ya all around:smile:

Hello welcome aboard!

S

skm

Hello, to all my fellow Scag owners! My name is Sam, and I am on my third Scag. Started with the old Kohler powered three wheeler. Then moved up to a Kohler powered 61 inch Turf Tiger. In 2010 I purchased a 61 inch Turf Tiger, powered by a Briggs 35 h.p. engine. Never wore out any of the machines. My son still uses my last one. I'm not a commercial mower. Have been mowing about 8 acres , and these machines leave me time to do things I enjoy.

I've been less than happy with my Briggs. I spent most of last evening reading the Scag forums and am very familiar with most of the problems mentioned. My gasoline gage fell apart. That's when I discovered that the fuel pump was not self priming. After having the pump replaced three times, I gave up and installed an outboard motor primer in the fuel line. Problem solved!

Presently, I am having the blown fuse problem. Don't really know where to start, but I AM asking for assistance. Fuse holders were mentioned as correcting the problem in several cases. Replaced the fuse holders today. No luck! By the way, the problem is PTO related. First fuse blew and the blade stopped. Did not have a 20A fuse so I put in a 30A, knowing that is not proper. Mowed for about 2.5 hours before second fuse blew. This killed the mower. Replaced second fuse and drove mower to the shop. Indications that I have observed: 1. When PTO is engaged, ammeter drops to full discharge; then returns to about -5A. With the clutch unplugged, PTO switch energized, ammeter remains at zero. 2. PTO off, engine running, battery reads about 14.5VDC (no AC). PTO engaged, battery reads about 11.5VDC. 3. With clutch unplugged, PTO off or on, ohm meter read infinity to ground. Clutch resistance is approximately 2.6 ohm. 4. 12VDC across a 2.6 ohm coil (according to Ohm's law) should draw about 4.6 amps . Where is the rest of the current going? Last, but not least. The is no continuity to ground from the clutch side of the plug with it disconnected. Sorry I was so long winded, but knew no other way to cover it all. Thanks for your patience.

R

rogrrr

Hi, ALL. My name is Roger and my nick is ROGRRR.
I've been mowing with a 60" Hustler Z. I told my brother he must get a ZTM.
He found and just bought the 61" Tiger Cub in a state of disrepair. Coincidentally, he found a Husqvarna a day later. Turns out the Husq was running so he sold the SCAG to me and I'm trying to get it running so I can sell it this coming spring. (can you $ay making a few buck$ profit). It needs 3 of the sheet metal pulleys, belts and ignition switch. Also, the engine doesn't run so I have to make that work. Right now I can't even get it to crank but didn't realize that there are numerous safety switches which I obviously haven't checked and made sure they are closed.
I'll post further in a new thread.

Bilgepump

Bilgepump

OK, I'll be the first to reply. Hi, I am Bill and I own a 2003 Tiger Cub that I purchased on Ebay a few years ago. My Cub has performed well except this year it started to burn very rich emitting black smoke with varying rpm and eventually no power. I rebuilt the carb twice with no change. I happened to be at a dealer looking at Bob Cats and told the owner my problem. He said it was a dirty air filter and I said "no-can't be, it's clean." I added my hours over the last three years and it totaled 100 which is the point he said you must change the air filter. I went home and replace my air filter-well, I was wrong and he was very correct in his evaluation. My Cub runs wonderful now. Now, it's your turn to reply........

Hello Bill, I know your post is old, but still , always pertinent. I also had the same issue and changing the air filter cured it. I have a 2006 Scag Tiger Cub that I bought used a few years ago. It has been a great machine.

jetech

jetech

Greetings all. I am a first time owner of a new Liberty Z 48. We have a bit over an acre to mow here. We moved up from a JD rider that had a severly rusted out mower deck so it was time to get something better and the JD was soo slow and a pain to maneuver. This Liberty is blazing fast by comparison. Very happy with it soo far, only used it once for a full cut.

So what does everyone use for blades? I will probably keep it as a side discharge. Is it worth going to a high lift or Gator style blade?

Tim

R

rs1

hello my name is rob I have a scag freedom z and it wont start at first It sounded like a dead battery but I charged it for three days, then I replaced the starter now when I turn the key I hear nothing at all

T

tom_t

I own a SFZ52. Bought it new. This is the fourth season I've had it. Mow about 1.5 acres. Do all the maintenance myself. Machine has only about 160 hours so far. Hourmeter has failed (I have a post elsewhere on this forum about it. Am responding to recommendations made by forum members). Live in SW MO. Looking forward to meeting other members and learning more about my machine as time goes on. Do not yet have a pic to post, but will eventually get it done.

M

mboat27

Hi.... I'm Michael from NC. I have a little under 2 acres and I've had my Freedom Z 52 for 4 years. This really saves time from the tractor mower that I was using. I also have a question. I thought the battery would be located under the seat, but do not see it. I haven't had any problems so far, but I figure this year I might need to put a trickle charger to the battery for the winter. Thanks...

Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service

Hi guys and gals I am the owner of Koehn's Lawn Service. Have been in business for 32 years now. I am primarily a walker guy have 5 walkers. But I did add a brand new 32 inch scag walk behind to fleet for next season. I ran a snapper 36 walk behind years ago when they didn't have the safety levers and things on them so you had better hang on because there was no stopping them if they got away from you lol. I am excited about the 32 scag I think it is one heavy built solid machine looking forward to using it on our gated yards next season. I run a 36 inch walker that will get through most of our gates but I always have to unload everything to get to it so I think the scag gonna be quicker and easier in the long run. I will still use the 36 in spring and fall for leaves and heavy growing season. Than I will use the scag in heat of summer through the summer for mulching only. Sorry no pics I don't know how to post pics yet.

T

tdipaul

Hello everyone my name is Paul and I am an OPE enthusiast with 2 acres of property to maintain. I've been mowing since I was 12 (now 49) and love every minute of it. I like all things OPE :)

Always wanted a Scag and now that I finally picked one up I have started a new thread about it. Its an older belt drive 61" SW that needs some TLC. Cant wait to mow with it this year.

Cheers!

T

TheVirginian

Hey folks. Dave, in Virginia here. I want to brag on my scag but only time will tell....lol. Traded a 13hp, honda powered 4300psi 4.0GPM pressure washer and a Beckett HoT Water addon box (also 4300psi, 4.0gpm, 30A, diesel fired) and all the accessories I'd purchased with/for them (24' extendable wand, extra hoses, hot water hoses, etc), for a Scag STT61A-27KA Turf Tiger. Obviously a 61" cut and 27hp Kawasaki. It was WELL used, and dude straight up LIED about anything wrong with it. My stuff, was BRAND NEW equipment but valued around 3000-3400 (I paid 3800 for ALL i listed and it had less than 3.5hrs on it......). The TT's OBVIOUS issues, were a missing roller guide wheel on front of deck and that he said sometimes the ignition key took a couple tries to start. I drove it around his yard, cut a few swaths, it seemed FINE, so i believed his sorry self..... I've done nothing but throw $$ and parts at this thing trying to work out whatever the electrical demon is in it. I've not cut my grass a COMPLETE time yet. Only in shifts, after replacing this or that, or charging the battery. Scag1.jpgScag2.jpg

Q

qrtrhrs

Hello all. Been awhile since I have been on this forum. I bought my 61" TT2 with the 35hp Briggs January, 2018. I only mow four acres, mostly in horse pasture so I wanted the maximum heighth cut I could find in a zero turn. I only have 80 hours on the machine so far with no issues and at age 68, this mower will be the last one that I ever need to purchase.

jbrianfoto

jbrianfoto

Re: Scag Owner Check-In --- Jeromie in Fredericksburg, VA

Greetings all -

I have an old Scag walk behind, no idea exactly how old it is but it keeps me busy trying to keep it running. Model number is SW48-17KA I have about 1-1/2 clear acres to mow, but most of it, my back yard, is on a fairly steep slant. That made a rider unsafe. I love my 48" 3-blade deck.

Pleasure meeting all of you !

C

caiman

Hello. My name is Alberto, I am from Monterrey Mexico and have had a Scag Turf Tiger for 11 years. I hope I will be able to help other members and write helpful comments on the forum. Have a great day everyone!!!

G

GSDLVR

First time Scag owner...just purchased (Sat) a new Tiger Cat ll 52" mower with the 22HP FX Kawasaki Engine. I have a 17 acre horse farm - we use a full size tractor for the pastures, but will use this to mow our yard (bordered by a river) around 5 acres. This mower replaces our JD GX 235 Lawn Mower - it still runs great, my son just wanted a zero turn...I hope this is a good mower.

tigercat

tigercat

First time Scag owner...just purchased (Sat) a new Tiger Cat ll 52" mower with the 22HP FX Kawasaki Engine. I have a 17 acre horse farm - we use a full size tractor for the pastures, but will use this to mow our yard (bordered by a river) around 5 acres. This mower replaces our JD GX 235 Lawn Mower - it still runs great, my son just wanted a zero turn...I hope this is a good mower.

Welcome
You'll love the Scag. It will cut much faster and cleaner than your old Deere.
There is a learning curve with it so don't dig up your lawn or slide it into the water. Always keep both rear wheels turning then you won't dig up the turf.

Too bad they never put brakes on the front wheels. No zero turn has them, but it would be safer on hills and stuff. On hills you must cut straight up the hill only. If you go straight down the hill the machine will slide on you. When it slides you dig up the grass with the potential of smashing it up like hitting a tree or fence.

B

BTBO

Greetings to all other Scaggers---I joined earlier this month to ask a ? about when to do the first drain of the hydrostatic oil on my new Scag Liberty Z 48". I got several replies, including one from the tech dept @ Hydro Gear. I also contacted Kawasaki Engines to inquire about when to drain the engine oil since I assumed the oil was of the "break in" variety. The Kawa owners manual says nothing other than to change oil every 100 hrs. IMO, that is far too long to wait for the first oil change. They said that because of advancements in engineering and manufacturing, there is no need for a break in period. My Scag has the 21 HP FR651V and as of today, 6.7 hrs. Also as of today, it now has fresh Mobil 1 20W50 and Mobil 1 M1-102A filter. I'm looking forward to many years on my new toy !!

tigercat

tigercat

Greetings to all other Scaggers---I joined earlier this month to ask a ? about when to do the first drain of the hydrostatic oil on my new Scag Liberty Z 48". I got several replies, including one from the tech dept @ Hydro Gear. I also contacted Kawasaki Engines to inquire about when to drain the engine oil since I assumed the oil was of the "break in" variety. The Kawa owners manual says nothing other than to change oil every 100 hrs. IMO, that is far too long to wait for the first oil change. They said that because of advancements in engineering and manufacturing, there is no need for a break in period. My Scag has the 21 HP FR651V and as of today, 6.7 hrs. Also as of today, it now has fresh Mobil 1 20W50 and Mobil 1 M1-102A filter. I'm looking forward to many years on my new toy !!

Greetings.
Don't worry about the hydro oil. On my machine, it's 20W50 motor oil. It doesn't get black with use. It stays a yellow color for life. But you do want to keep it clean. So I would change it every 3-4 years or 100 hrs like they recommend. On my Tigercat it's very easy to do. I simply remove the filter then replace the filter. By removing the filter the oil automatically drains out of the system
Then just refill it to the correct level and bleed the hydro unit by driving slowly forward and back untill it behaves like normal. Remember to buy the correct hydraulic filter that is the most important thing about the system.

T

ThomasV

Hello,

I'm Tom, I have a 2013 Scag Tiger Cub. I purchased it last spring, it is an awesome machine.

Thanks for accepting me into the forum.

ThomasV

R

RICK55FLA

Hello all!

name's Rick,,I'm in Cen Fla. I have an old SCAG ,year model unknown.

B

Buzzshoney

GREETINGS to all Scag mower owners! ?

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name ?). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Hi, Buzz here. I have a 2002 turf tiger with the 27 horse Kawasaki water cooled on it. I’m hopeful this forum is as helpful as the one for my John deer 318!
Buzz

R

Roo'sHowTo's

Hello and Greetings!!
I have a SCAG Tiger Cat 52" (STC52V-691FX) with a 22HP Kawasaki engine.

I use it to mow our 2.44 acre yard and it's been relatively trouble free until this season... I'll post more about that in the appropriate forum section!

Anyways....just wanted to say, hello to everybody!! ?

Susan christie

Susan christie

Hi I'm Suzy Wong
I have a Scag Freedom Z Pro.
It has a Kawasaki FS691V
23.0 gross HP
Ok, I accidentally put 1/5 cup of SAE 10W-30 4-cycle ENGINE OIL IN THE HYDROLIC CONTAINER. THOUGHT I WAS PUTTING IN SAE 20W-50 4-CYCLE ENGINE OIL. (I THOUGHT IT WAS EMPTY - NEW OWNER). WILL IT STILL BE OK TO USE?