Scag Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Jgreenlee81187

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replys. Not sure why the dealerships have told me this but I am definitely gonna go by the owners manuals recommendations. I've been mowing with a zero turn for about eight years now and this is the first time I've ever heard such.

chevy_cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guess I never got around to introducing myself when I joined last year.

My name's Paul, I don't mow commercially but between our house and business lots I mow about 5 acres. I finally got fed up with disposable consumer grade mowers in early 2012 when my Craftsman was giving me troubles and started researching commercial machines. It didn't take me long to decide on a Scag and in May 2012 I bought a new 61" Turf Tiger with the Kawi 29 DFI engine. Other than a weird no fuel issue it gave me late last fall, its been trouble free and probably cut my mowing time by 60% or more a week.

tigercat

Threads
Hi Paul. Welcome to the party.

KTMery

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checking in sirs.
New to the forum and enjoy reading the assists, mods, and guidance provided by all of you. Seems like a great forum full of good people.
I am mowing ~3 acres weekly and it takes better than 6 hours on a craftsman rider, trimming included.
I searched and found a low hour (180) Tiger Cat in the Dallas area for my first, and hopefully last, commercial duty mower. It has the 48" Velocity deck and was my preference for getting around/thru the trees on the property. I was hoping to find a Kawasaki powered unit but instead, settled for the Kohler Command Pro 25. Today I finished pulling all the spindle grease zerks and replaced them with 45 degree zerks...made it easily accessible for the lubing task. Why does scag not include zerks on the front wheel spindles? Is there some fear they'll be sheared off while working? I still need to pull the rear wheels for access to the zerks there....any suggestions for making those easier to service? I think I saw someone recommending 90 degree but not positive, guess I'll install and see if they're accessible without removing wheels.
Ordered an LED light bar to mount on the ROPs as I found myself mowing well past dusk last week...it's not work on this mower! I'll probably post a question later on best location to get 12V.

I look forward to many years of service from this mower and numerous interesting post from you and others!

Regards, KTMery

johnsonslandscaping

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, My name is Dylan.

I have a 2012 Scag Freedom Z with a 61 inch cut, now known as the Freedom z Pro.

I use this mower in my fleet for commercial and residential use.

scag.jpg

tigercat

Threads
Hi KTMery, Hi Dylan. You guys have great machines!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Checking in sirs.
New to the forum and enjoy reading the assists, mods, and guidance provided by all of you. Seems like a great forum full of good people.
I am mowing ~3 acres weekly and it takes better than 6 hours on a craftsman rider, trimming included.
I searched and found a low hour (180) Tiger Cat in the Dallas area for my first, and hopefully last, commercial duty mower. It has the 48" Velocity deck and was my preference for getting around/thru the trees on the property. I was hoping to find a Kawasaki powered unit but instead, settled for the Kohler Command Pro 25. Today I finished pulling all the spindle grease zerks and replaced them with 45 degree zerks...made it easily accessible for the lubing task. Why does scag not include zerks on the front wheel spindles? Is there some fear they'll be sheared off while working? I still need to pull the rear wheels for access to the zerks there....any suggestions for making those easier to service? I think I saw someone recommending 90 degree but not positive, guess I'll install and see if they're accessible without removing wheels.
Ordered an LED light bar to mount on the ROPs as I found myself mowing well past dusk last week...it's not work on this mower! I'll probably post a question later on best location to get 12V.

I look forward to many years of service from this mower and numerous interesting post from you and others!

Regards, KTMery
Here are pics of the grease fitting changes that I recommend which make scheduled servicing easier.PA100008.JPGPA100006.JPGPA100005.JPG
These mods allow you to lube these areas easily from above with the seat lifted. The rear wheels no longer need to be removed to lube the parking brake actuators.
I'm not sure why you installed a 45 degree fitting in the spindles as they are straight in. I use a pistol grip type grease gun with a flex hose, however I do use a 90 degree adapter on the flex hose. Spindle grease type is not the same as chassis lube. You may use the spindle specific lube on the entire machine, but not the chassis lube on the spindles.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing:

Leroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Scag Tiger Cat 2015

GREETINGS to all Scag mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Scag owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Scag mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Scag stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
Iam Leroy Formean
Just bought a 2015 Tiger Cat
First time to own a Scag. I live on 20 acres mow about 8 acres.I have joined the forum to learn the ins and outs of Scag mowers

tigercat

Threads
Hi Leroy, pull up a chair, great bunch of guys in here.

Tjs4rvfun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new to this forum. My name is Tim and I have a 2011 Freedom Z 52 inch with 19H Kaw.