Replacing broken Craftsman sockets

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Definitely had to give up on to the night clubs. Never know what you are dealing with now days. Not worth it anymore.

1madmouse

Threads
I tolerated all that crap until the gender thing, now it is out of hand . Have to draw the line somewhere. That stuff wouldn't fly when I was a kid. Kinda got off track, how about those sockets. Nothing is like it used to be.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What I am finding hard to find is four\eight point sockets. But they have come with five point sockets now too. Oh well got buy another large box and cabinet plus might to expand the shop just for the tool boxes.

RaulMcCai

Threads
Just went today to Ace Hdwre. to replace some broken Craftsman sockets.. Mine are old & were made in USA.
Replacement is from china.

But was surprised ie: 10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.
once long long ago craftsman was as good as Snap On now is is shit pure shit

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well my tools are vintage, so they are from a time when they were great,..

Threads
Well my tools are vintage, so they are from a time when they were great,..
Same here. I took an automechanics class in Vo-Tech my senior year in 1972. A local auto parts place put together a special toolbox package for students with basic hand tools in a nice metal toolbox. It was made by Blackhawk. It cost $110 for students. Full set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets, ratchets, breakover bars, extensions, regular and deep sockets, hammers, pliers, speed handle, and combination hand wrenches from 1/4" through 3/4". Sockets went up to 1-1/8 inch. That was 50+ years ago. All the tools have survived a lot of use and abuse over the years, and are still as good as when they were new. I've lost 5 or 6 of the tools in the set over the years, but replaced them with original Blackhawk when they were still made the same. Then they started getting thicker and quality started going down. Probably coincident with moving production overseas. But, along came the internet and Flea-Bay, and I was able to find original Blackhawk tools to replace all missing items. I even bought some spares for the most used sizes. I have never broken a single one of the tools in the set, and I have used them hard over the years maintaining equipment on the farm and 50 years of tractors, trucks, mowers, balers, cars, motorcycles, and everything the kids, grandkids and neighbors could throw at me. I also have a lot of original Craftsman and miscellaneous other brands of hand tools, but seldom ever use them.

TobyU

Threads
Same here. I took an automechanics class in Vo-Tech my senior year in 1972. A local auto parts place put together a special toolbox package for students with basic hand tools in a nice metal toolbox. It was made by Blackhawk. It cost $110 for students. Full set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets, ratchets, breakover bars, extensions, regular and deep sockets, hammers, pliers, speed handle, and combination hand wrenches from 1/4" through 3/4". Sockets went up to 1-1/8 inch. That was 50+ years ago. All the tools have survived a lot of use and abuse over the years, and are still as good as when they were new. I've lost 5 or 6 of the tools in the set over the years, but replaced them with original Blackhawk when they were still made the same. Then they started getting thicker and quality started going down. Probably coincident with moving production overseas. But, along came the internet and Flea-Bay, and I was able to find original Blackhawk tools to replace all missing items. I even bought some spares for the most used sizes. I have never broken a single one of the tools in the set, and I have used them hard over the years maintaining equipment on the farm and 50 years of tractors, trucks, mowers, balers, cars, motorcycles, and everything the kids, grandkids and neighbors could throw at me. I also have a lot of original Craftsman and miscellaneous other brands of hand tools, but seldom ever use them.
I guess for most of your tools that's okay but I don't see how you can go over 15 to 20 years with tools you use a whole lot without damaging one, maybe cracking a socket or at least the Chrome start to flake off or a ratchet mechanism not working anymore properly or slipping.
I understand we're talking about better quality tools but even the highest quality tools when they're used a whole lot can see Chrome flaking etc.

I do believe I use my tools more than the average person though so that's probably why I've seen more of this.
Of course I've even got some Craftsman sockets in certain sets that I've had for a long time and they are still as good as new because they haven't been used that much.

It just seems that the common sizes take more of a beating and you have to replace them from time to time not to mention those cars like to eat 10 mm sockets. Lol

Bob372

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll never forget when I was tearing down a large shed on the property I had just bought, I found some really rusty, large open-end wrenches. I think one was 1-1/8" and the other a bit bigger.

After sitting on them for a few years, I decided to take them to the local Sears Hardware Store for replacement. They took them along with my phone number and I waited... and waited. I kept calling and kept getting the run-around. Then, suddenly, the store closed down.

I was young and stupid and should have gotten a receipt of some sort. It's a good thing I didn't really care.

Gord Baker

Threads
Just went today to Ace Hdwre. to replace some broken Craftsman sockets.. Mine are old & were made in USA.
Replacement is from china.

But was surprised ie: 10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.
To make up for unknown quality of socket material.