Replacing broken Craftsman sockets

Brucebotti

Threads
Thanks for the sound advice. I will try your “hack” this week on my 30-40 year old 3/8 ratchet.
I still remember when they were made in the next town over from me on Craftsman Way in East Windsor, CT. Not sure if they manufactured the whole line there, but I know they made sockets and wrenches.
Bruce

cakmn

Threads
Thought I'd comment just for fun. I've got an eclectic collection of sockets and ratchets (and wrenches) a great many of which must be at least 80 years old. They were obviously old when I was a little kid, and I'm 76 now. My dad had used them after two of my grandfathers used them, and then I acquired them. None of us have done a great deal of mechanic work, but they've definitely been used and perhaps even abused as home mechanics are often guilty of. I've broken maybe half a dozen sockets – and those have all been new ones that I bought myself. I've definitely used "enhanced" leverage with many of them while working on old things, but have only broken a couple of sockets by doing that. Many are unbranded or mysteriously marked, so I don't know who produced them, but they still work just fine, even those that are quite thin compared to others. I always appreciate being able to work a variety of "ancient" tools I have, including the wrenches, sockets and ratchets.

1madmouse

Threads
What is really sad is what do we do when they go all electric? They are already getting rid of ( or trying to) all the gasoline powered stuff or fossil fuel as they like to say. Even though there is proof that all the car chargers are going to run the grid dry, then what? Many of us here have seen what the dealers and manufacturers are doing, discontinued, NLA, can't find parts or won't help. I know some guys like StarTech have some contacts and can cross reference parts, but how long till that is gone. Heck you used to be able to cross reference shocks and maybe still belts, I know i loved the Hollander Books when I worked for a dismantler years ago. I am sure it's all about money. I am glad I found this site with all the great knowledge and experience you guys have. Thank you for being good enough to share that hard earned information with the rest of us. I hope to always be a help here and not a burden or a pest. With all the mowers, tillers and trimmers I have and help work, on this site is a godsend to me. Sorry if I was a bit windy.

TobyU

Threads
Thought I'd comment just for fun. I've got an eclectic collection of sockets and ratchets (and wrenches) a great many of which must be at least 80 years old. They were obviously old when I was a little kid, and I'm 76 now. My dad had used them after two of my grandfathers used them, and then I acquired them. None of us have done a great deal of mechanic work, but they've definitely been used and perhaps even abused as home mechanics are often guilty of. I've broken maybe half a dozen sockets – and those have all been new ones that I bought myself. I've definitely used "enhanced" leverage with many of them while working on old things, but have only broken a couple of sockets by doing that. Many are unbranded or mysteriously marked, so I don't know who produced them, but they still work just fine, even those that are quite thin compared to others. I always appreciate being able to work a variety of "ancient" tools I have, including the wrenches, sockets and ratchets.
The fact is you can break any socket when you subject it to conditions beyond its design like using a cheater bar on it or using a half inch ratchet with an adapter on a 3/8 drive socket.
I have broken a couple of handfuls of sockets over my 40 plus years of using sockets.
I do a lot of work though so I've used them more than most people.
I don't think I've ever have one shatter and break it a little pieces unless I was using a breaker bar or using what as it impact but normally what happens is they simply get a crack up the side of the socket.
I have done this plenty of times with quarter inch Drive ratchets and 3/8 Drive ratchets.
The argument could be said that if something is so tight that my human arm strength is going to damage a quarter inch Drive socket or the ratchet, that I should go up to a 3/8 drive BUT I don't think it's logical or should be a requirement at all to go past a 3/8 drive ratchet for your normal arm strength.

1madmouse

Threads
Oh i have broken a lot of tools, not just from cheater bars. Some for age or cheaply made. I just threw that in for if you do try to cheat it , usually ends up like anything cheated, you lose. Always better to do the right thing, the right way.

bartles

Threads
Growing up we used "Wizard" tools from our local Western Auto store. Worn out from use I was able to get Sears replacements under warranty. Not sure how the Lowe's store will react.😂

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting thread. I have a crap load of craftsman tools. I have a 5 gal bucket of extra sockets and a half bucket of wrenches. I have used and abused craftsman tools for 50 years. Most of them made by Easco. Never had a problem getting one replaced when it was over abused (you do what you gotta do). Some of the new stuff I have seen really doesn't impress me. Some guys love the tool truck brands and some love harbor freight. I like lots of brands.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been wrenchin' Harleys & vehicles over 50 years.
My Dad started me out as his "tool wipe" but I learned the sizes doing this, in time he'd yell for a 3/4" box wrench & I would get it quicker & quicker.

PS: I was also the TV remote after work. He's yell change the channel & I was on it.. Guess I started as the gopher.. LOL

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They must be doing ok. New one soon to open here too.
Because of Biden's good work the economy is booming the share market are at all times highs and money is at a reasonable rate so that sets the scene for well run businesses to borrow big against their share price & expand .