Replacing broken Craftsman sockets

Denali94

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess for most of your tools that's okay but I don't see how you can go over 15 to 20 years with tools you use a whole lot without damaging one, maybe cracking a socket or at least the Chrome start to flake off or a ratchet mechanism not working anymore properly or slipping.
I understand we're talking about better quality tools but even the highest quality tools when they're used a whole lot can see Chrome flaking etc.

I do believe I use my tools more than the average person though so that's probably why I've seen more of this.
Of course I've even got some Craftsman sockets in certain sets that I've had for a long time and they are still as good as new because they haven't been used that much.

It just seems that the common sizes take more of a beating and you have to replace them from time to time not to mention those cars like to eat 10 mm sockets. Lol
Guess I do not know why a quality tool should not last a lifetime if it is used properly. I got my first set of 1/2' drive Craftsman sockets 60 years ago. They have been to countless SCCA and NHRA tracks, built and rebuilt hundreds of automotive engines & marine diesels; done endless maintenance, repair tasks on all my personal vehicles and spent the last 25 years on our farm being used on everything from a JD 318 garden tractor to one of our current 9R JD's; plus a few combines, wagons and other farm stuff. I have had two returns in all that time. One for a 10" 1/2" drive extension with that 'graceful slimline shaft' that twisted like a pretzel on a 440 ci Dodge main bearing cap (no cheater bar involved); the replacement in 1972 was an 'improved' model with a full diameter shaft. The other was a 1/4" drive ratchet handle that in 1984 simply gave up. Sears replaced the ratchet and since I was then in Alaska, the counter guy gave me an extra repair kit 'just in case'. That repair kit is still in its original box. I have never had a cracked Craftsman socket nor have my sockets flaked or lost any chrome. Then again, I know the difference between a hammer and a socket - and never have the two met. And with this post I have probably jinxed myself.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back in the 80's, a neighborhood elderly lady /friend wanted her shed cleaned out. Said I would do it. In the corner was a 5 gallon bucket FULL of Craftsman wrenches & sockets, but leaky roof got that bucket pretty full of water, & over the years, was hard on the tools. But I pulled it out. She said I could keep anything I wanted. I cleaned up most all that I could still see the brand on, & took them to Sears. Without a blink, they said to spread them out on a table. & replaced about every single one.
Lady wanted to pay me, I told her her husband was smart about tools. I got about $300. worth of new tools FREE.
So no payment was needed from her. She was a nice lady, & ended up with super clean shed with roof patched.

TobyU

Threads
Guess I do not know why a quality tool should not last a lifetime if it is used properly. I got my first set of 1/2' drive Craftsman sockets 60 years ago. They have been to countless SCCA and NHRA tracks, built and rebuilt hundreds of automotive engines & marine diesels; done endless maintenance, repair tasks on all my personal vehicles and spent the last 25 years on our farm being used on everything from a JD 318 garden tractor to one of our current 9R JD's; plus a few combines, wagons and other farm stuff. I have had two returns in all that time. One for a 10" 1/2" drive extension with that 'graceful slimline shaft' that twisted like a pretzel on a 440 ci Dodge main bearing cap (no cheater bar involved); the replacement in 1972 was an 'improved' model with a full diameter shaft. The other was a 1/4" drive ratchet handle that in 1984 simply gave up. Sears replaced the ratchet and since I was then in Alaska, the counter guy gave me an extra repair kit 'just in case'. That repair kit is still in its original box. I have never had a cracked Craftsman socket nor have my sockets flaked or lost any chrome. Then again, I know the difference between a hammer and a socket - and never have the two met. And with this post I have probably jinxed myself.
I'm not saying it's an epidemic problem or that I've had dozens of them fail but I just don't see how you can keep it entire set if it was your main set you used frequently and not have a socket crack eventually or some plating come off around the tip from constantly putting it on and off of bolts etc.
I think it also probably matters what our definition of frequent use is.

I have some sockets in my set that may have never been on a fastener.
I have others that get used every time I open the drawer.
I used to use my tools like this at least two maybe three times a week for just personal use.
Since I opened a repair shop years ago, I use certain tools almost 7 days a week. Yes, there are weeks where I work on at least something every single day of the week.
Now since I specialize in certain types of mowers, the tools I do use are quite a small number and very limited so those particular sockets get a whole lot of use.

It is common knowledge in the aircraft maintenance world also that they checked their tools frequently if not all the time.
They also use high-end quality brand name tools.
If a piece of chroming etc starts to flake or it gets a sharp edge or anything else the tool is to be immediately discarded and replaced.

I'm not in this field and I don't know for certain but this is what I've been told by several people.
So it would see him even high quality tools can have a failure or an issue even if it's not super common.

Also, just normal use is going to eventually cause a socket to slip out of one's hand and fall often onto a cement floor or fall while using often glancing off of or hitting iron or steel when it hits.
This is not ideal for the tool and could start a possible flaking issue even though it's not negligence or abuse.

jagg2236

Threads
Just went today to Ace Hdwre. to replace some broken Craftsman sockets.. Mine are old & were made in USA.
Replacement is from china.

But was surprised ie: 10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.
Look into WERA tools. I love their ratchets .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, I have too many ratchets now....

nbpt100

Threads
Look into WERA tools. I love their ratchets .
They make nice stuff. The problem is that there is too much nice stuff out there. Lots of options for very nice tools. They are just all very expensive. To me I am happy with what I call mid grade stuff. I look at the price, easy of warranty and quality factor. Which can be subjective. I do not break a lot of tools and I use mostly mid grade tools like Craftsman(old and new), Tekton, Kobalt, Husky, VIM,.....plus a few Snap on, SK and Cornwall. All of the high end stuff I either was gifted or bought at a yard sale used. I am happy enough with the quality and what they do. Right now I think Tekton has some of the best value as their warranty is truly no BS. They have upped their game over the past 10 years. If they keep up that trajectory they will be one of the more popular non tool-truck tools in the US for Mechanics.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never heard of WERA tools.. I just saw they are a German made tool co. But never saw them in any stores.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ratchet.jpg
Anybody remember that in the 70's JCPenny sold hand tools trying to compete with Sears? Got this for my 14th birthday. Still work fine

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nope I don't..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I still have one of those and it has been relegated to the travel box. Works fine