Mower deck Pop and then reduced speed/efficiency

metz12

Threads
i still dont know how i have put a new belt on a mower and took the old one off, put them up next to each other and they were about 3/4" difference and it not stretching. (the old belt being larger)

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
i still dont know how i have put a new belt on a mower and took the old one off, put them up next to each other and they were about 3/4" difference and it not stretching. (the old belt being larger)

I had held both up side by side and seen 1in or 2in difference in length before.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take a new belt and a old belt and cut them so you can lay them out I bet they are the same with in half a inch.

Or to save your money just use a tape measure and check each one twice.

Don't use one of the things the parts stores use because the old belt will come up longer because it is wore.

I have never seen I belt stretch 2 inches they are just not made to do so.

You are being tricked by a illusion.

Do you really think the belt you pay $50 for should stretch 2 inches before it breaks

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes they will stretch instead of breaking. Just like the engine stop cables on walk behind mowers.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is what others had to say

cheese Forum Topic Moderator
State:
GA
I have seen loose belts that were once tight, but they are always the same length when the back side is measured as the original belt. I don't think they really stretch, but rather the v wears down and allows the belt to ride deeper in the pulleys, creating the excess length. Usually the only belts I see that have stretched (to any significant degree) had broken cords and were on the verge of self-destructing. Just my observation.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is what others had to say

cheese Forum Topic Moderator
State:
GA
I have seen loose belts that were once tight, but they are always the same length when the back side is measured as the original belt. I don't think they really stretch, but rather the v wears down and allows the belt to ride deeper in the pulleys, creating the excess length. Usually the only belts I see that have stretched (to any significant degree) had broken cords and were on the verge of self-destructing. Just my observation.

Im still waiting on some photos of the evidence that belts dont stretch. Until I see the photos then Im not believing that belt dont stretch.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why do we need a model number for every dang problem?
This mower has a basic set up with a cable pto so the noise he heard was the cable breaking or a spring that is why the belt was loose.

It is nice to try and give some decent advice while we are investing the time, since I have no idea what "a basic setup with a cable" is.........

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is nice to try and give some decent advice while we are investing the time, since I have no idea what "a basic setup with a cable" is.........

Sorry I just assume every one knows how mowers are set up.

I have worked on so many mowers I know what they are without looking them up.

And anyone that has been using mowers for years knows the sound he heard and what could have happened. I don't see how looking at a diagram of this Amower will tell you why his belt got loose.
We all know that the cable on this mower breaks all the time.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry I just assume every one knows how mowers are set up.

I have worked on so many mowers I know what they are without looking them up.

WOW!!!!!!! That is quite a statement!!!