Mower deck Pop and then reduced speed/efficiency

moscouter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay - so I was mowing my lawn (actually mowing leaves more than lawn), and I heard a loud pop - sounded like a spring breaking (metal verses hitting a branch or something below the deck) - and then the blades seemed to slow significantly (if they were turning at all). I was afraid to look under the deck while it is running (seems like something someone would do for a Darwin Award).

I stopped the mower, and checked the tensioning of the belt. It seemed looser than before, so I pulled the deck to see if one of the springs on the deck broke that would impact the tensioning, but I didn't see anything obvious. I did notice on the cable from the PTO engagement lever (not sure the real name) and the deck that some of the black outer case had come off, but that didn't seem to be the issue. Could be that the cable stretched somehow? We have a good local shop that has parts - but I am not sure what to ask for as it wasn't something obvious. I did check the blades (just in case I did hit something, but there didn't seem to be any issues with the blades themselves).

Thanks for any help.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your belt is stretched and should be replaced with factory belt. With deck removed, clean thoroughly, topside and underside. Inspect all parts for wear,replace as necessary. Remove blades and sharpen or replace and torque to specifications. Grease spindles and all moving parts. With deck off, use shop light and inspect underside of tractor from front to back. Please let us know if we can help you further. Merry Christmas and GOD bless.http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/t...lView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=14102

Threads
Okay - so I was mowing my lawn (actually mowing leaves more than lawn), and I heard a loud pop - sounded like a spring breaking (metal verses hitting a branch or something below the deck) - and then the blades seemed to slow significantly (if they were turning at all). I was afraid to look under the deck while it is running (seems like something someone would do for a Darwin Award).

I stopped the mower, and checked the tensioning of the belt. It seemed looser than before, so I pulled the deck to see if one of the springs on the deck broke that would impact the tensioning, but I didn't see anything obvious. I did notice on the cable from the PTO engagement lever (not sure the real name) and the deck that some of the black outer case had come off, but that didn't seem to be the issue. Could be that the cable stretched somehow? We have a good local shop that has parts - but I am not sure what to ask for as it wasn't something obvious. I did check the blades (just in case I did hit something, but there didn't seem to be any issues with the blades themselves).

Thanks for any help.

Those cables snap inside the housing where you cant see it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thanks for any help.

You said you pulled the deck and didn't see anything obvious, did you look underneath the mower itself for a broken spring. Perhaps a spring broke on the tension pulley for the pto belt, if so you'll lose or have incorrect blade speed.

With Youth You Learn, With Age You Understand

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bet the cable broke grab a end and pull it see if it comes out.

Belts do not stretch they wear out and sit deeper in the pulleys that makes them loose giving the allusion that they stretch.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Belts do not stretch they wear out and sit deeper in the pulleys that makes them loose giving the allusion that they stretch.

I would like to see proof of this when comparing a old belt with a new belt. I had belts stretch on me before.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, a "pop" then the problem arises........

Belts don't wear out with a "pop".....

Something broke somewhere, but for any intelligent discussion about your mower needs to start with the model number off of the tag under/behind the seat!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
But I see that this is an old thread........

metz12

Threads
could it be a tensioner pulley spring that broke on the deck? thats how you lost tension? belts dont stretch with a pop like has already been said. they stretch a little but not alot. just like a chainsaw chain.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will say it again a belt is not loose because it stretched. Duh if a belt was to stretch so much that it has became loose it would have already broke. Belts are not made to stretch.

Why do we need a model number for every dang problem?
This mower has a basic set up with a cable pto so the noise he heard was the cable breaking or a spring that is why the belt was loose.