New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
Yes it is, but you won't this model mower listed there. Also, I've registered other Greenworks products there and have yet to receive my free gift for joining the GREEN CREW. :mad:

I have read enough to be pessimistic about the customer service from Greenworks, but if there's a safety recall or if service there improves, at least I can claim I jumped through their hoops and tried to register properly. Hope the Twin Force gets added soon.

MowerMike

Threads
I have read enough to be pessimistic about the customer service from Greenworks, but if there's a safety recall or if service there improves, at least I can claim I jumped through their hoops and tried to register properly. Hope the Twin Force gets added soon.

Actually, IMO product registration is mostly market research and is total bullpucky in terms of warranty validation. As long as you have your Lowe's receipt, that is all you will every need to validate your purchase. The only time it's useful is when you can get a free warranty extension if you register, which was the case when I bought a Bosch battery powered drill/driver. Like I said before, just run the heck out of it for the first month to make sure there are no defects so you can just return it to Lowe's for either a refund or replacement. Most problems show up during the first few hours of use, but from what you've written it looks like the unit you bought is good.

atp1313

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did some research and found this to be the best option for a gas-free cordless mower, despite the possible frustration of it being so new on the market that parts are harder to find, not having an established reputation, etc. So I was excited to go to Lowe's this morning to buy one, and get it home, charged and fired up for the first rough cut (mostly weeds) of the season. Got the batteries charged, plugged them in, inserted the key, and hit the start button....and nothing happened. Have checked the lights on the batteries (both show fully charged). Checked against the lights on the charger, again shows both batteries as charged. Have tried the key both ways, nothing. Called the Help Line (per the troubleshooting chart) and was bummed to hear that they are only open M-F, 9-5. I will certainly be calling tomorrow, but it is a shame that no one is home on the weekends...you know, when most people have the time to do yard work and might run into problems. But perhaps they truly are a small company and they can't afford a 24/7 call center yet, or at least a 7-day call-in staff.

But if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. The troubleshooting chart does say something about a faulty key/switch. So if it is specifically listed, that must mean they have a recognized history of this part going bad. With my luck, it figures that I would get the one with a faulty starter/switch. :rolleyes:

MowerMike

Threads
Did some research and found this to be the best option for a gas-free cordless mower, despite the possible frustration of it being so new on the market that parts are harder to find, not having an established reputation, etc. So I was excited to go to Lowe's this morning to buy one, and get it home, charged and fired up for the first rough cut (mostly weeds) of the season. Got the batteries charged, plugged them in, inserted the key, and hit the start button....and nothing happened. Have checked the lights on the batteries (both show fully charged). Checked against the lights on the charger, again shows both batteries as charged. Have tried the key both ways, nothing. Called the Help Line (per the troubleshooting chart) and was bummed to hear that they are only open M-F, 9-5. I will certainly be calling tomorrow, but it is a shame that no one is home on the weekends...you know, when most people have the time to do yard work and might run into problems. But perhaps they truly are a small company and they can't afford a 24/7 call center yet, or at least a 7-day call-in staff.

But if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. The troubleshooting chart does say something about a faulty key/switch. So if it is specifically listed, that must mean they have a recognized history of this part going bad. With my luck, it figures that I would get the one with a faulty starter/switch. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear this. Did you push in on the handle button and at the same time pull back on the bar fully to the grip ? Pushing the button just connects the upper cable to the lower cable so that it pulls the switch inside the housing when you pull the bail bar back. Just pushing the button will not start the mower. You should feel some strong spring tension on the cable when you pull the bail bar.

Also, you must push the button first before you pull back on the bail bar. Otherwise, the cable will not engage and you won't operate the switch inside the housing.

atp1313

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry to hear this. Did you push in on the handle button and at the same time pull back on the bar fully to the grip ? Pushing the button just connects the upper cable to the lower cable so that it pulls the switch inside the housing when you pull the bail bar back. Just pushing the button will not start the mower. You should feel some strong spring tension on the cable when you pull the bail bar.

Also, you must push the button first before you pull back on the bail bar. Otherwise, the cable will not engage and you won't operate the switch inside the housing.

I must need to get my glasses updated. I misread the "1" and "2" on the diagram and was pulling the handle first. I am an idiot! Thank you for pointing that out. Now to quickly try this puppy out before the sun goes down! :)

UPDATE: Man, that cuts (the weeds) as well as my gas mower did, except I could actually hear my footfalls on the crunchy dead grass and leaves and twigs. This thing is quieter than my vacuum cleaner, and probably even my wife's hairdryer.

MowerMike - Thanks again for helping me find the obvious issue.

MowerMike

Threads
I must need to get my glasses updated. I misread the "1" and "2" on the diagram and was pulling the handle first. I am an idiot! Thank you for pointing that out. Now to quickly try this puppy out before the sun goes down! :)

UPDATE: Man, that cuts (the weeds) as well as my gas mower did, except I could actually hear my footfalls on the crunchy dead grass and leaves and twigs. This thing is quieter than my vacuum cleaner, and probably even my wife's hairdryer.

MowerMike - Thanks again for helping me find the obvious issue.

You are most welcome. Glad that it all worked out and you are happy with the mower as I am with mine. :smile:

wooties

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'm on the cusp of picking one of these up this month. I'm a little hesitant as I've never used an electric. Has anyone ran over, say, pine cones? How's it handle? I live in Utah, my grass should be good for this type of mower. I'm thinking that the 30 day return policy should be enough for me to take the leap but i'm still on the fence. Anything anyone have that could push me over the edge?

I'm eyeing the 40v gmax trimmer, too. No reviews yet, but amazon has it for sale, less than $180.

MowerMike

Threads
Hi all,

I'm on the cusp of picking one of these up this month. I'm a little hesitant as I've never used an electric. Has anyone ran over, say, pine cones? How's it handle? I live in Utah, my grass should be good for this type of mower. I'm thinking that the 30 day return policy should be enough for me to take the leap but i'm still on the fence. Anything anyone have that could push me over the edge?

I'm eyeing the 40v gmax trimmer, too. No reviews yet, but amazon has it for sale, less than $180.

Well, I haven't run over pine cones with mine, but I don't think the small thin blades would like that sort of treatment. Also, at the present time replacement blades are not available, and there are separate left and right side blades, because the motors rotate in opposite directions. The plastic deck is pretty stout, so I wouldn't worry about it being damaged by pine cones, rocks etc, but the blades could be damaged.

The mower itself is outstanding and the best battery powered mower to date. It will mow through anything that a gas mower can handle, and the standard batteries will give you over one hour run time. It takes me about 35 minutes to mow my 6500 sq ft lawn, and I can do it on the large 4A battery alone, and still have 1/4 capacity remaining, so over one hour is likely with both batteries. If you buy the G-MAX trimmer, you will get the 4A battery, which would easily give you over 1-1/2 hours run time.

It is super light, has a great bag design and the rear wheels tuck in nicely to permit close edging at walls, fences, driveways, walkways, etc.

As to the trimmer, it's the same design sold previously with the standard 40 volt Li-Ion batteries, so you can read reviews on Amazon to get an idea what others think.

Last edited:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Hi all,

MM covered the main points. First, the last I looked (yesterday) the gmax trimmer's availability was still 1-2months. There's some indication at GW's Facebook page that more product will be available middle of April so, maybe that's when we'll see more tools, blades, individual batteries and tool-only gear show up?

I also have concerns for my back yard as I have cypress knees. I'm hoping replacement blades will be available or else I may need to find some way to alter some edger blades to work. I try to keep the knees chopped out/down, but have hit some in the past with gas mowers. There are also some small 'teeth' under the mower that seem to be positioned to help lift/orient grass blades for more thorough cutting. I have some concerns that, after a few seasons, they may become brittle and any object hit could begin breaking them off. I dunno how those would survive pinecones or other objects. I'd like to believe the engineers have tested running over sticks, toys, dog poop, dead birds and other common debris. lol!