Export thread

New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

MowerMike

MowerMike

This is one serious battery powered push lawn mower. They are listed at Lowe's online (Item # 421871) for $399, but are not yet available. There is also a new 36 volt lead-acid push mower (Item # 421869) with a 19" cut for $299 that is comparable to the Black and Decker CM1936 for $150 less.

GreenWorks - Product Detail - G-MAX 40V 20" 2-in-1 Twin Force Mower

http://greenworkstools.com/product-detail/36v-push-mower-lead-acid

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Why would you need 2 blades for a 20 inch mower?

MowerMike

MowerMike

Why would you need 2 blades for a 20 inch mower?

I think it is more efficient and uses less power than a single 20" blade. You can run the smaller blades at a higher RPM to maintain the same tip speed for quality cutting. Per the Greenworks manuals, the blade on the 20" mower with the lead acid battery turns at 3500 RPM, but the dual blade in this new mower turn at 5000 RPM. Greenworks claims 70 minutes run time on the dual blade mower, which is longer than the 20" mower with the larger capacity and much heavier lead acid battery. It also has a longer run time than their single blade 19" mower with Li-Ion batteries.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I think it is more efficient and uses less power than a single 20" blade. You can run the smaller blades at a higher RPM to maintain the same tip speed for quality cutting. Per the Greenworks manuals, the blade on the 20" mower with the lead acid battery turns at 3500 RPM, but the dual blade in this new mower turn at 5000 RPM. Greenworks claims 70 minutes run time on the dual blade mower, which is longer than the 20" mower with the larger capacity and much heavier lead acid battery. It also has a longer run time than their single blade 19" mower with Li-Ion batteries.

OK thanks for the info! It's pretty cool! :cool:

MowerMike

MowerMike

Exciting news ! The Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion mower is now available online at Shop Greenworks 20 inch Dual Blade - 40 Volt Lithium Ion battery powered lawn mower with mulching and bagging capabilities at Lowes.com with free shipping to your home. I've ordered one and it should arrive by the end of this week. I'll keep you posted.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Exciting news ! The Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion mower is now available online at Shop Greenworks 20 inch Dual Blade - 40 Volt Lithium Ion battery powered lawn mower with mulching and bagging capabilities at Lowes.com with free shipping to your home. I've ordered one and it should arrive by the end of this week. I'll keep you posted.

I can't wait to hear how you like it, and maybe we could get some pictures! :smile:

MowerMike

MowerMike

I found this facebook link that explains why I was only able to find this mower at Lowe's:

https://www.facebook.com/GreenWorksTools/app_208195102528120

MowerMike

MowerMike

Fresh off the boat - a truly new innovation in lawn mower design.

It arrived late yesterday and I noticed that the date code is 12/14/12, which means that it was built scarcely a month ago, and was fresh off the boat from China when I placed my order 5 days ago. It shipped from the west coast (Portland, OR), so it may have arrived by boat in a container ship.

It is supplied with two batteries that fit into two separate compartments on the mower. It only draws power from one battery at a time, starting with the battery in the left compartment, and then switching to the battery in the right compartment when it is depleted. One battery is a small 73 Wh unit, while the other is a large double sized 146 Wh unit. Since the two compartments will both accommodate the large size battery, it should be possible to increase the operating time by replacing the small battery with a second large battery. It will operate just fine with just one battery installed in either compartment.

A really unique innovation is the smart power sensing feature, which automatically varies the motor power and blade speed depending on conditions. When you first start the mower, the motors rev up to 5000 rpm full speed and then after a few seconds with no resistance they slow down and draw less battery power. Then as you begin to mow, they speed up again based on the resistance from the grass until reaching maximum rpms again under very heavy grass conditions.

The mower uses two separate motors with 10 in. cutting blades that counter-rotate and are offset. When the blades are both perpendicular to the cutting path, there is about 1 inch of overlap, such the the true effective cutting path is more like 19 inches than the 20 inches that is claimed by Greenworks. Also, the front wheels are 17 inch diameter, not 18 inches as claimed on their website. Fortunately, the claimed 3-3/8" (8.5 cm) maximum cutting height is spot on.

The rear wheels are located within the width of the deck, such that edging and cutting close to fences and walls is excellent. The handlebar is also narrow, permitting very good access to tight places. The large 10 inch rear wheels makes use in rough terrain a snap. The bag attaches and removes very easily, has a comfortable built-in handle on the rigid top section and a convenient bag-full indicator. It also has an inside liner on the right and rear sides to minimize dust blowing back at the operator when bagging in dry conditions. The rear stone guard is designed to rotate freely on the housing instead of flexing, so it's service life should be a lot better than guards that are bolted rigidly to the deck.

My only concern is availability of replacement blades, since they are totally non-standard and unique to this product. Also, the left and right blades are different parts. My past experience with Greenworks is that their support in this regard is very poor.

Right now there is no grass to cut, so I will have to wait at least a month before I can test it out and see how well it performs.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Nice! I see the blades don't overlap, so they don't need to be timed. Correct? That is how my Billy Goat was. It seems like a nice mower! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MowerMike

MowerMike

Nice! I see the blades don't overlap, so they don't need to be timed. Correct? That is how my Billy Goat was. It seems like a nice mower! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Correct. When the blades are in line with each other, then there is about a 1/4 inch gap between their tips, so they won't hit and don't need to be timed. There are two separate motors, one for each blade, and they run independently.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Correct. When the blades are in line with each other, then there is about a 1/4 inch gap between their tips, so they won't hit and don't need to be timed. There are two separate motors, one for each blade, and they run independently.

awesome.gif :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A

allanh2

I think you should check out the Recharge Mower 20" Lithium. This has 10.5 Ah and 36v. Super Powerful. More money than others but after using it I was sold. Blew all others away.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I think you should check out the Recharge Mower 20" Lithium. This has 10.5 Ah and 36v. Super Powerful. More money than others but after using it I was sold. Blew all others away.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum. It's good to hear from another lithium ion powered mower fan. Yes, I am familiar with the Recharge Mower PMLI-20 mower, but passed it up for the Greenworks mower because of the high cost of both mower and battery as well as its short 1 year warranty. The PMLI-20 costs $280 more than the Greenworks and the battery alone costs $400, which is the same as the Greenworks complete mower with batteries and charger. The Greenworks has a 2 year warranty on the batteries and 4 year warranty on the mower, and the batteries cost half as much. Although the battery on the Recharge Mower will probably last more than a year, it's scary to think that I might have to spend $400 yearly to replace it.

Another problem I have is with run times. The Recharge Mower states that runtime is "in excess of 45 minutes," which could mean 50 minutes or more, but if it's less than an hour, then a spare battery would be needed. At $400 for a spare that's a bit steep for me. The Greenworks promises "up to 70 minutes," and I could buy an extra 2 Ah battery for $80 to extend the run time about another 20 minutes if need be.

Finally, the wheels on the Recharge Mower PMLI-20 are rather small, 6.5" front and 7.5" rear, whereas they are 7" front and 10" rear on the Greenworks. I can live with small front wheels, but I really like large rear wheels on a mower.

I think if Recharge Mower offered a better warranty and a longer run time, then it might be able to justify the higher price.

A

allanh2

The part that I find interesting is the time. The green works talks about RUN time. That is sitting on a cement driveway running without touching a blade of grass. Any mower has a long RUN time. Why I chose the Recharge Mower is the 45 minutes is CUT TIME. That is actually mowing your lawn. Run time is very misleading and in no way reflects the amount of time you will be able to actually use the mower. Don't get caught in that trap.

MowerMike

MowerMike

The part that I find interesting is the time. The green works talks about RUN time. That is sitting on a cement driveway running without touching a blade of grass. Any mower has a long RUN time. Why I chose the Recharge Mower is the 45 minutes is CUT TIME. That is actually mowing your lawn. Run time is very misleading and in no way reflects the amount of time you will be able to actually use the mower. Don't get caught in that trap.

Nope. It's also cutting run time on the Greenworks, only it's a maximum rather than a minimum. It does vary depending on conditions, but it is still the projected operating time. The Greenworks has a unique power management feature, which varies the blade speed and power draw depending on conditions. Under light cutting conditions the motors run slower and use less battery capacity, but under heavier conditions they speed up in order to maintain good cutting action. They automatically slow down again as conditions become lighter, extending the battery run time. The Recharge mower runs at full speed and power all the time, regardless of conditions, which is why its run time is shorter despite having a higher capacity battery than the Greenworks. My experience with Greenworks is that their estimated run times are quite accurate and reasonable. I own their 16 inch Li-ion mower, which they estimate at 40 minutes maximum run time, and I've gotten a 45 minute run time from it under medium cutting conditions, so I have no reason to doubt their 70 minute estimate for the new twin blade model.

A

allanh2

I must tell you that I find that interesting but can advise that I have used the Recharge in a commercial application without issue. Performance has exceeded expectations. I am more than satisfied and happy with my purchase. They were first with lithium in North America and have certainly set the standard.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I must tell you that I find that interesting but can advise that I have used the Recharge in a commercial application without issue.

Are you aware that you may have voided your warranty ? According to the terms of warranty on page 23 of your Operator's Manual under Limitations and Exclusions:

"2. Any COMMERCIAL, INSTITUTIONAL, AGRICULTURAL, INDUSTRIAL, INCOME PRODUCING, or RENTAL use will result in No Warranty."

1 Lucky Texan

I just unboxed mine last night. (purchased because my old 21"Bolens is being passed down to a son-in-law)

here are some general thoughts and a question or 2;

I am generally impressed. It is quiet. It is light-weight. The battery system seems very intelligent.

From reading, I have concerns about warranty service should that come up.

I found no instruction for registering the mower or batteries. I have an email into the company about that.

While the quickstart guide and instruction manuals are adequate, they would be better if drawings and text were larger and the paper were closer to being white than brown.

I may order a spare key, a spare set of blades and a spare left-hand thread blade nut.

Wondering if wheel axles, height-adjust mechanism or other spots would benefit from lubrication of some kind?

MowerMike

MowerMike

From reading, I have concerns about warranty service should that come up.

I found no instruction for registering the mower or batteries. I have an email into the company about that.

I may order a spare key, a spare set of blades and a spare left-hand thread blade nut.

Wondering if wheel axles, height-adjust mechanism or other spots would benefit from lubrication of some kind?

If you need service or warranty support your only recourse is to talk to them by phone and have them give you the address of the nearest service center. They do not respond to emails sent either directly or via their website. Registering your product on their website is a waste of time, since they do not save this information or have any sort of database. In addition, this product is not listed on their registration form. I suggest that you use it a bunch to make sure there are no problems so that you can return it directly to Lowe's within their grace period if any defects occur.

Greenworks does not sell replacement parts and there are a limited number of online web stores that do sell them. There are definitely no current sources of spare parts such as blades for this product, and it most likely be a long time if ever that you will be able to find any. So I would be very careful not to mow where there are stones and stumps that might damage the blades. I sharpen all my mower blades using a Dremel tool with a blade sharpener kit that permits me to do it w/o having to remove the blades. I don't know why you think you need a spare key, since you can just leave it in place all the time and it is tethered to the mower to avoid it getting lost.

I don't think you need to lubricate anything, but if you want to remove the wheels it is pretty simple, since they are retained by cotterpins which are cheap and easy to replace. Since the entire height adjustment mechanism is completely inside the housing, it is not exposed to a lot of dirt, so I don't see any reason to mess with it. Be advised that in order to remove the housing to gain access to the height mechanism, it is secured with T27 star (Torx) screws and the ones at the front are deeply recessed, so you would need a long T27 screwdriver to access them.

1 Lucky Texan

If you need service or warranty support your only recourse is to talk to them by phone and have them give you the address of the nearest service center. They do not respond to emails sent either directly or via their website. Registering your product on their website is a waste of time, since they do not save this information or have any sort of database. In addition, this product is not listed on their registration form. I suggest that you use it a bunch to make sure there are no problems so that you can return it directly to Lowe's within their grace period if any defects occur.

Greenworks does not sell replacement parts and there are a limited number of online web stores that do sell them. There are definitely no current sources of spare parts such as blades for this product, and it most likely be a long time if ever that you will be able to find any. So I would be very careful not to mow where there are stones and stumps that might damage the blades. I sharpen all my mower blades using a Dremel tool with a blade sharpener kit that permits me to do it w/o having to remove the blades. I don't know why you think you need a spare key, since you can just leave it in place all the time and it is tethered to the mower to avoid it getting lost.

I don't think you need to lubricate anything, but if you want to remove the wheels it is pretty simple, since they are retained by cotterpins which are cheap and easy to replace. Since the entire height adjustment mechanism is completely inside the housing, it is not exposed to a lot of dirt, so I don't see any reason to mess with it. Be advised that in order to remove the housing to gain access to the height mechanism, it is secured with T27 star (Torx) screws and the ones at the front are deeply recessed, so you would need a long T27 screwdriver to access them.

I do have a parts list, and I also hope Lowes will carry at least spare blades. I'm pretty sure I will need blades at some point.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I do have a parts list, and I also hope Lowes will carry at least spare blades. I'm pretty sure I will need blades at some point.

AFAIK, Lowe's has never carried spare blades for Greenworks mowers. This mower is unique in that there are different blades for each side of the mower, so it's even less likely that they will be readily available. Only recently was I able to find a replacement blade for a 16" Li-Ion Greenworks mower that has been on the market for over a year and is also used on a Ryobi branded mower. Even then, it was some obscure online web store, and not through Lowe's or some other big box store. So, like I said, be careful and the blades will last a long time, because finding replacements is going to be difficult. I also own this mower and I've used the parts list to search the internet for spares and come up empty.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Here's a video posted on the Lowe's website. They make no mention of the variable blade speed control to automatically adjust to grass conditions, which is what really makes this mower unique.

MowerMike

MowerMike

And another video that shows use of the grass catcher:

1 Lucky Texan

Used the mower today on my front yard. It is a fairly small yard with just a few obstacles. My wife did rake some leaves out from under some hedges for me to mow over.

It is very quiet, perhaps quieter than some vacuum cleaners (though i rarley hear a vacuum cleaner outdoors).

I think most people will use the height positions from 2-5, I suspect positions 3-4 and , perhaps, 5 will be my most likely range.

Given the dormant nature of the lawn plus the dried leaves I mowed over, it does seem mulching performance is adequate - at leas as good as my traditional mower. I never bag but may consider trying it with this mowe to add some mulched leaves to my compost tumbler next fall.

The machine got quite dusty. I think monitoring the inside of the battery chamber for a collection of debris would be a good idea.

I didn't do any scientific measurements, but my gut feeling is, 50-60 minutes of mowing is quite possible (with the 2 batteries supplied) and under ideal conditions more.

I wish the angle of the handle were more upright. Seems I'm too far back and my hand/arm position seems odd. I notice there is a way to change the length of the handle (don't recall seeing that in the manual) by shifting the upper handle clamps to a different pair of holes. I don't think i will like that position but will try it to see.

VERY easy to maneuver. seems very capable so far.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I wish the angle of the handle were more upright. Seems I'm too far back and my hand/arm position seems odd. I notice there is a way to change the length of the handle (don't recall seeing that in the manual) by shifting the upper handle clamps to a different pair of holes. I don't think i will like that position but will try it to see.

Moving the handle to the alternate set of holes will shorten the handle slightly and lower it slightly, but the change will be very small. I'm short (5'-3"), so I've got it set in the lower position.

1 Lucky Texan

Moving the handle to the alternate set of holes will shorten the handle slightly and lower it slightly, but the change will be very small. I'm short (5'-3"), so I've got it set in the lower position.

I may not like it then, though I'm by no means tall (5' 9")

I kinda feel I'm too far 'back' from the mower so, I will experiment. I haven't looked at the lower mechanism closely to see if it can be modified or shifted to a higher angle.

I suppose being a rear bagger, they just had to design it such that there was plenty of clearance for tall-ish folks to walk without stepping on the bag. I'm unlikely to regularly use the bag.

One other thing occurred to me. Charge time for a battery, is not much slower than cutting time. But a 'warm' battery directly pulled out of the mower must cool a little before charging so, if someone had a 3rd battery, I think you might be able to mow almost continuously, stopping only to swap batteries. One in the mower, the next one in the charger, one cooling-off. (assuming all batteries begin with a full charge) If you were stopping to empty the bag, maybe take a potty or snack/drink break occasionally, batteries would be charging the whole time.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I kinda feel I'm too far 'back' from the mower so, I will experiment. I haven't looked at the lower mechanism closely to see if it can be modified or shifted to a higher angle.

One other thing occurred to me. Charge time for a battery, is not much slower than cutting time. But a 'warm' battery directly pulled out of the mower must cool a little before charging so, if someone had a 3rd battery, I think you might be able to mow almost continuously, stopping only to swap batteries. One in the mower, the next one in the charger, one cooling-off. (assuming all batteries begin with a full charge) If you were stopping to empty the bag, maybe take a potty or snack/drink break occasionally, batteries would be charging the whole time.

You cannot modify the lower handle clamping mechanism that I can see. Also, while we're on the topic, avoid lifting the mower by the handle and especially don't pull it sideways. Only use it to push / pull the mower or to push down to lift the front wheels while turning. The attachment blocks to the mower body at the bottom of the handle are held in place by only two very small screws that thread directly into the plastic, and can easily strip out if you put any tension force on them.

According to Greenworks, it takes about 60 minutes to recharge a fully depleted 73 Wh battery and 120 minutes for the 146 Wh battery. I can mow my entire yard in less than 40 minutes using only the 146 Wh battery, and don't even bother inserting the 73 Wh battery.

1 Lucky Texan

You cannot modify the lower handle clamping mechanism that I can see. Also, while we're on the topic, avoid lifting the mower by the handle and especially don't pull it sideways. Only use it to push / pull the mower or to push down to lift the front wheels while turning. The attachment blocks to the mower body at the bottom of the handle are held in place by only two very small screws that thread directly into the plastic, and can easily strip out if you put any tension force on them.

According to Greenworks, it takes about 60 minutes to recharge a fully depleted 73 Wh battery and 120 minutes for the 146 Wh battery. I can mow my entire yard in less than 40 minutes using only the 146 Wh battery, and don't even bother inserting the 73 Wh battery.

good to note on the lower mount! thanx

I DO think it's almost a perfect replacement for a small, push gas mower - again, form a single use. I hope reliability is good and parts become available. I need to keep this for years to justify the price.

just fyi, I did receive an email response from GW. They said the serial number is on the box.

OH, I complained in a post above about debris in the battery compartment. Evidently, the lids actually latch down. I never noticed and don't think that is mentioned in the manual either. One reviewer at Lowes said he filed some of the latch away so opening the lid is easier.

MowerMike

MowerMike

OH, I complained in a post above about debris in the battery compartment. Evidently, the lids actually latch down. I never noticed and don't think that is mentioned in the manual either. One reviewer at Lowes said he filed some of the latch away so opening the lid is easier.

That was me, and I was replying to another reviewer who complained about the same problem. :smile:

1 Lucky Texan

That was me, and I was replying to another reviewer who complained about the same problem. :smile:

wow!

Just when you though the Internet was a big place......

this seems to be the product registration page; http://greenworkstools.com/product-registration

MowerMike

MowerMike

this seems to be the product registration page; GreenWorks - Product Registration

Yes it is, but you won't this model mower listed there. Also, I've registered other Greenworks products there and have yet to receive my free gift for joining the GREEN CREW. :mad:

1 Lucky Texan

Yes it is, but you won't this model mower listed there. Also, I've registered other Greenworks products there and have yet to receive my free gift for joining the GREEN CREW. :mad:

I have read enough to be pessimistic about the customer service from Greenworks, but if there's a safety recall or if service there improves, at least I can claim I jumped through their hoops and tried to register properly. Hope the Twin Force gets added soon.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I have read enough to be pessimistic about the customer service from Greenworks, but if there's a safety recall or if service there improves, at least I can claim I jumped through their hoops and tried to register properly. Hope the Twin Force gets added soon.

Actually, IMO product registration is mostly market research and is total bullpucky in terms of warranty validation. As long as you have your Lowe's receipt, that is all you will every need to validate your purchase. The only time it's useful is when you can get a free warranty extension if you register, which was the case when I bought a Bosch battery powered drill/driver. Like I said before, just run the heck out of it for the first month to make sure there are no defects so you can just return it to Lowe's for either a refund or replacement. Most problems show up during the first few hours of use, but from what you've written it looks like the unit you bought is good.

A

atp1313

Did some research and found this to be the best option for a gas-free cordless mower, despite the possible frustration of it being so new on the market that parts are harder to find, not having an established reputation, etc. So I was excited to go to Lowe's this morning to buy one, and get it home, charged and fired up for the first rough cut (mostly weeds) of the season. Got the batteries charged, plugged them in, inserted the key, and hit the start button....and nothing happened. Have checked the lights on the batteries (both show fully charged). Checked against the lights on the charger, again shows both batteries as charged. Have tried the key both ways, nothing. Called the Help Line (per the troubleshooting chart) and was bummed to hear that they are only open M-F, 9-5. I will certainly be calling tomorrow, but it is a shame that no one is home on the weekends...you know, when most people have the time to do yard work and might run into problems. But perhaps they truly are a small company and they can't afford a 24/7 call center yet, or at least a 7-day call-in staff.

But if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. The troubleshooting chart does say something about a faulty key/switch. So if it is specifically listed, that must mean they have a recognized history of this part going bad. With my luck, it figures that I would get the one with a faulty starter/switch. :rolleyes:

MowerMike

MowerMike

Did some research and found this to be the best option for a gas-free cordless mower, despite the possible frustration of it being so new on the market that parts are harder to find, not having an established reputation, etc. So I was excited to go to Lowe's this morning to buy one, and get it home, charged and fired up for the first rough cut (mostly weeds) of the season. Got the batteries charged, plugged them in, inserted the key, and hit the start button....and nothing happened. Have checked the lights on the batteries (both show fully charged). Checked against the lights on the charger, again shows both batteries as charged. Have tried the key both ways, nothing. Called the Help Line (per the troubleshooting chart) and was bummed to hear that they are only open M-F, 9-5. I will certainly be calling tomorrow, but it is a shame that no one is home on the weekends...you know, when most people have the time to do yard work and might run into problems. But perhaps they truly are a small company and they can't afford a 24/7 call center yet, or at least a 7-day call-in staff.

But if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. The troubleshooting chart does say something about a faulty key/switch. So if it is specifically listed, that must mean they have a recognized history of this part going bad. With my luck, it figures that I would get the one with a faulty starter/switch. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear this. Did you push in on the handle button and at the same time pull back on the bar fully to the grip ? Pushing the button just connects the upper cable to the lower cable so that it pulls the switch inside the housing when you pull the bail bar back. Just pushing the button will not start the mower. You should feel some strong spring tension on the cable when you pull the bail bar.

Also, you must push the button first before you pull back on the bail bar. Otherwise, the cable will not engage and you won't operate the switch inside the housing.

A

atp1313

Sorry to hear this. Did you push in on the handle button and at the same time pull back on the bar fully to the grip ? Pushing the button just connects the upper cable to the lower cable so that it pulls the switch inside the housing when you pull the bail bar back. Just pushing the button will not start the mower. You should feel some strong spring tension on the cable when you pull the bail bar.

Also, you must push the button first before you pull back on the bail bar. Otherwise, the cable will not engage and you won't operate the switch inside the housing.

I must need to get my glasses updated. I misread the "1" and "2" on the diagram and was pulling the handle first. I am an idiot! Thank you for pointing that out. Now to quickly try this puppy out before the sun goes down! :)

UPDATE: Man, that cuts (the weeds) as well as my gas mower did, except I could actually hear my footfalls on the crunchy dead grass and leaves and twigs. This thing is quieter than my vacuum cleaner, and probably even my wife's hairdryer.

MowerMike - Thanks again for helping me find the obvious issue.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I must need to get my glasses updated. I misread the "1" and "2" on the diagram and was pulling the handle first. I am an idiot! Thank you for pointing that out. Now to quickly try this puppy out before the sun goes down! :)

UPDATE: Man, that cuts (the weeds) as well as my gas mower did, except I could actually hear my footfalls on the crunchy dead grass and leaves and twigs. This thing is quieter than my vacuum cleaner, and probably even my wife's hairdryer.

MowerMike - Thanks again for helping me find the obvious issue.

You are most welcome. Glad that it all worked out and you are happy with the mower as I am with mine. :smile:

W

wooties

Hi all,

I'm on the cusp of picking one of these up this month. I'm a little hesitant as I've never used an electric. Has anyone ran over, say, pine cones? How's it handle? I live in Utah, my grass should be good for this type of mower. I'm thinking that the 30 day return policy should be enough for me to take the leap but i'm still on the fence. Anything anyone have that could push me over the edge?

I'm eyeing the 40v gmax trimmer, too. No reviews yet, but amazon has it for sale, less than $180.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Hi all,

I'm on the cusp of picking one of these up this month. I'm a little hesitant as I've never used an electric. Has anyone ran over, say, pine cones? How's it handle? I live in Utah, my grass should be good for this type of mower. I'm thinking that the 30 day return policy should be enough for me to take the leap but i'm still on the fence. Anything anyone have that could push me over the edge?

I'm eyeing the 40v gmax trimmer, too. No reviews yet, but amazon has it for sale, less than $180.

Well, I haven't run over pine cones with mine, but I don't think the small thin blades would like that sort of treatment. Also, at the present time replacement blades are not available, and there are separate left and right side blades, because the motors rotate in opposite directions. The plastic deck is pretty stout, so I wouldn't worry about it being damaged by pine cones, rocks etc, but the blades could be damaged.

The mower itself is outstanding and the best battery powered mower to date. It will mow through anything that a gas mower can handle, and the standard batteries will give you over one hour run time. It takes me about 35 minutes to mow my 6500 sq ft lawn, and I can do it on the large 4A battery alone, and still have 1/4 capacity remaining, so over one hour is likely with both batteries. If you buy the G-MAX trimmer, you will get the 4A battery, which would easily give you over 1-1/2 hours run time.

It is super light, has a great bag design and the rear wheels tuck in nicely to permit close edging at walls, fences, driveways, walkways, etc.

As to the trimmer, it's the same design sold previously with the standard 40 volt Li-Ion batteries, so you can read reviews on Amazon to get an idea what others think.

1 Lucky Texan

Hi all,

MM covered the main points. First, the last I looked (yesterday) the gmax trimmer's availability was still 1-2months. There's some indication at GW's Facebook page that more product will be available middle of April so, maybe that's when we'll see more tools, blades, individual batteries and tool-only gear show up?

I also have concerns for my back yard as I have cypress knees. I'm hoping replacement blades will be available or else I may need to find some way to alter some edger blades to work. I try to keep the knees chopped out/down, but have hit some in the past with gas mowers. There are also some small 'teeth' under the mower that seem to be positioned to help lift/orient grass blades for more thorough cutting. I have some concerns that, after a few seasons, they may become brittle and any object hit could begin breaking them off. I dunno how those would survive pinecones or other objects. I'd like to believe the engineers have tested running over sticks, toys, dog poop, dead birds and other common debris. lol!

W

wooties

You guys are great, thanks!

I think I'll pull the trigger next weekend (it's scheduled to rain tomorrow through Tuesday next week). I actually scored the trimmer through Amazon after I posted yesterday. The site said there were 5 available, they ran out shortly after that. It looks like they're getting inventory slowly.

I'll keep an eye on my pine cones and rake them up. I'm sure I'll run over a few. If I have any issue, I'll post here.

1 Lucky Texan

You guys are great, thanks!

I think I'll pull the trigger next weekend (it's scheduled to rain tomorrow through Tuesday next week). I actually scored the trimmer through Amazon after I posted yesterday. The site said there were 5 available, they ran out shortly after that. It looks like they're getting inventory slowly.

I'll keep an eye on my pine cones and rake them up. I'm sure I'll run over a few. If I have any issue, I'll post here.

thanx for the info wooties, just ordered my trimmer!

1 Lucky Texan

a few quick points;

I moved the handle position and much prefer the lower/shorter position. It only took a coupla minutes. (I'm 5'9")

I did some mowing with it in my back yard today. One minor annoyance, you cannot 'nose' up to an obstacle and trim as closely as with a single blade mower. Yes, it gets as close on the sides, but for 3-4 spots in my yard, i may have a little additional trimming with the string trimmer.

I use the mulching plug. It seems to get filled with clippings. Not a big deal, but I am contemplating filling the 'belgian waffle' holes in the top of it with some expanding foam.

Coming from using a small gas mower, this mower is so quiet and vibration free - it is more comparable to using a large vacuum than to mowing.

1 Lucky Texan

Link to Owner's Manual

.pdf of Owner's Manual;

http://greenworkstools.com/cms/uplo...w_20in_Dual blade_mower_E_manual(updated).pdf

just fyi

G

gfc56

I found this facebook link that explains why I was only able to find this mower at Lowe's:

https://www.facebook.com/GreenWorksTools/app_208195102528120

I clicked the link, but did not see the reason why the mower is only available at Lowe's.

W

wooties

Well, it's been a few weeks and I've only mowed with this thing twice. I'm very impressed and I think I'm in love. The mower works really well, it's easy to maneuver and I get my entire lawn mowed with just one 4AH battery.

I did rake away some pine cones the first round, but ended up running over several of them in the next mowing. I've checked the blades, they don't look affected at all.

It's a keeper! I also notice that many more reviews are showing up on Lowe's site. Most all are positive. Good on ya, Greenworks!

K

konowl

Well, it's been a few weeks and I've only mowed with this thing twice. I'm very impressed and I think I'm in love. The mower works really well, it's easy to maneuver and I get my entire lawn mowed with just one 4AH battery.

I did rake away some pine cones the first round, but ended up running over several of them in the next mowing. I've checked the blades, they don't look affected at all.

It's a keeper! I also notice that many more reviews are showing up on Lowe's site. Most all are positive. Good on ya, Greenworks!

I've got about 80 feet of waterfront about 150 feet deep including 30 by 30 house and driveway.

I've been mowing with gas and am sick of them. My last one died again after just 2-3 year (Craftsman with Kohler engine). Replace spark plug, getting spark, still nothing.

I'm throwing around the idea of getting this electric mower. I do intend on getting a small riding lawn mower soon, but more to use it for yardwork than the actual mowing (80 feet of waterfront creates incredibly heavy weeds). I was looking at the Troy neighbourhood mower as an ideal solution.

Really curious to see more reviews on this mower, for lawns the size of mine.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Really curious to see more reviews on this mower, for lawns the size of mine.

Have you checked to see if it's available in Canada ? According to the Greenworks Facebook page announcement, it is only available in the USA and only through Lowe's. This mower is fine for a lawn your size, and there are many reviews on the Lowe's online store website. My mowing area is about 6500 sq. ft. and I can can complete it on about half the battery charge (2 batteries). It can plow through anything, so you won't have a problem even with heavy weeds.

K

konowl

Have you checked to see if it's available in Canada ? According to the Greenworks Facebook page announcement, it is only available in the USA and only through Lowe's. This mower is fine for a lawn your size, and there are many reviews on the Lowe's online store website. My mowing area is about 6500 sq. ft. and I can can complete it on about half the battery charge (2 batteries). It can plow through anything, so you won't have a problem even with heavy weeds.

Definately available in Canada yes through Canadian Tire for $550 or $150 more than Lowes in the States. Typical gouging from a Canadian retailer.

1 Lucky Texan

Hey wooties

..... post that pic here of those broken teeth on your mower.

I'm gonna check mine when I get home.

M

mustangTerry

Hi Mike, Just bought a twin blade green works, charged the batteries plugged them in, plugged in the key, held down the start button, pulled the handle, nothing happens. Then I googled and found this forum, but out of the box, cant understand why it wont run.Im in BC, got it at Canadian Tire yesterday.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Hi Mike, Just bought a twin blade green works, charged the batteries plugged them in, plugged in the key, held down the start button, pulled the handle, nothing happens. Then I googled and found this forum, but out of the box, cant understand why it wont run.Im in BC, got it at Canadian Tire yesterday.

Do you feel any resistance on the safety bar when you pull it back ? Try pulling it first w/o pushing the button and then doing it with the button depressed. You should feel a lot more resistance with the button depressed than when you just pull the bar w/o depressing it. If you feel no difference, then there's something wrong with the cable mechanism. If you can't get it to work, I'd just returned it to the store and have them exchange it for a good unit.

R

rp2s

My new Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered mower

I just purchased this mower yesterday, and used it the first time today after work. I was really impressed by the larger (146W) battery. After just one charge, I was able to cut 80% of my 1/3 acre yard, easily finishing with the smaller battery. I've been using a Neuton 6.2 cordless for almost 6 years. I replaced the original lead-acid battery last year (the original still gives me about 25/30 minutes of solid run time. Pretty impressed with that battery also. What I really like about the Greenworks, beside the battery tech, is the light weight of the mower. I only hope it holds up like my older Neuton.

1 Lucky Texan

Inspected the underside of my mower. 4 1/2 of the little plastic 'teeth' have broken off. Another one appears to be compromised.

I suspect their purpose is to 'align' blades of grass or otherwise help reduce the odds of missing some grass lying down. Not sure.

Very disappointed as I've used the mower for less than 4 hours I'm sure. The plastic will only get more brittle with age.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Inspected the underside of my mower. 4 1/2 of the little plastic 'teeth' have broken off. Another one appears to be compromised.

I suspect their purpose is to 'align' blades of grass or otherwise help reduce the odds of missing some grass lying down. Not sure.

Very disappointed as I've used the mower for less than 4 hours I'm sure. The plastic will only get more brittle with age.

I would call those "combs" rather than "teeth" and they most certainly are there to stand up the blades of grass so that they can be cut properly by the mower blades. I inspected mine and they are in perfect condition, so I suspect that you must have hit something to make them break off.

S

sporkk

Brought out my corded and mowed for the first time this spring. Not something I was looking forward to in a already busy weekend. I might finally purchase the twin force next week. I still have concerns about finding a replacement blade should I ever need one.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I still have concerns about finding a replacement blade should I ever need one.

I did an online search using the blade part numbers and found a source for the blades. There are two separate blades, since one of them rotates in the opposite direction from the other one.

Blade part no. 33307486 (blade) >>> 33307486 - Greenworks Part 33307486 - Blade - GRN-33307486 - GREENWORKS

Blade part no. 33308486 (reverse blade) >>> 33308486 - Greenworks Part 33308486 - Reverse blade - GRN-33308486 - GREENWORKS

As you can see, they are a bit pricey @ $18.79 each, but at least you can be confident that they are available.

S

sporkk

I talked myself out of it again! :mad: Sometimes I read to many reviews. Several reviews reporting that the mower stopped working after several uses. With one reviewer they narrowed it down to a faulty switch. With only 30 days to return and then the only option to take a trip to a service center that is located who knows where doesn't give me a lot of reassurance in this mower. I don't want to spend another 50 on the store warranty either.

If reel mowers didn't have problems with weeds I wouldn't bother with a powered mower at all.

1 Lucky Texan

wow!

Greenworks G-MAX Models - G-MAX 40V 4Ah Li-ION Battery 31104975

SKU# SUN-31104975
$60.00
Qty:

-OR- Checkout with PayPal

Email to a Friend

Shipping Policy | Returns Policy | Warranty Info | Payment Info | Pricing Info
G-MAX 40V 4Ah Li-ION Battery

Click on image to zoom

Details

Specifications:
Used On Mower Models 25223; 25312; 25322; 25302
Used on G-MAX Cultivator Model 27062
Battery Model: 29472
Battery Part Number: 31104975
Up to 3x longer run time than Nicad battery
Quick Charging - 120 minutes for 4Ah
Maintains consistent fade-free power throughout entire cycle
Charge anytime, no negative memory effect
Longer life cycle: up to 2000 charge cycles
Battery charge level indicators for easy check of power level

Additional Information

(they appear to have both blades as well)

MowerMike

MowerMike

SKU# SUN-31104975
$60.00
Qty:

(they appear to have both blades as well)

Just tried to order the battery, but they are already backordered. Did you manage to order one ? They do have the blades, however, and they are a bit cheaper than the other source that I found in post #57.

Their website doesn't seem to be working. Can't set up an account or log in. Typical Greenworks website nonsense.

This is confusing. The website is actually Ordertree.com, not GreenworksTools.com and the actual supplier is Dixie Sales Company, Inc. I remember when I needed a battery replaced on a previous Greenworks tool (16" 40V mower) that the repair shop they sent me to said the batteries came from Dixie Sales, since Greenworks themselves don't have a warehouse. Crazy.

1 Lucky Texan

Just tried to order the battery, but they are already backordered. Did you manage to order one ? They do have the blades, however, and they are a bit cheaper than the other source that found in post #57.

Their website doesn't seem to be working. Can't set up an account or log in. Typical Greenworks website nonsense.

This is confusing. The website is actually Ordertree.com, not GreenworksTools.com and the actual supplier is Dixie Sales Company, Inc. I remember when I needed a battery replaced on a previous Greenworks tool (16" 40V mower) that the repair shop they sent me to said the batteries came from Dixie Sales, since Greenworks themselves don't have a warehouse. Crazy.

Honestly, I was just digging around there and decided to try a part number or 2 from my trimmer's manual that I have handy. I have ZERO experience with that site and did not order anything. Actually, I'm thinking that price is a mistake and , if real, won't last long. Seems like actual cost with shipping would be around $71 dollars but it's all 'vapor ware' if you can't actually get one. So, not too surprised at your report. (they list a charger at $5.11 !!!)

crazy indeed

MowerMike

MowerMike

Over 10,000 views of this epic thread. Yeeeehaaaa !!!!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Wow that's a lot! I didn't even notice....CONGRATS! :dance1:

midnite rider

midnite rider

A great informative thread I have really enjoyed viewing, Congratulations Mike and thanks for your posts. :thumbsup::drink:

N

northertunder

Well guys me being a internal combustion engine person as i have raced cars all my life for me to buy a battery operated lawn mower and grass trimmer was not on my Radar BUT i did buy The Greenworks grass trimmer and 2 days later went and bought the twin force mower that says i was impressed with the Trimmer enough to buck up for the mower and they are 499 here not 399 like down south So far i am very impressed as what they can handle the Batteries charge Fast and the both exceeded my expectations so far I had the Starting problem that some people talked about but all i did is Put a little pressure on the wire that ran up to the pull lever the first few times i started it now it works great so i will Keep on cutting and let you guys all know how it goes from time to time GOOd Bad or otherwise thanks Guys no more pull cords for me Kevin

1 Lucky Texan

So far, still working well. Really enjoy the maneuverability, and quiet, smell-free operation.

I do kinda wish there was a 'hack' for it that would create a 'turbo' button/switch so I could force it into high-power mode. I think that would help with mulching some dried leaves. It doesn't seem to vacuum-up quite as well as my old gasser.

maybe someone will dig into the guts and figure it out. I can't afford to do that with a $400 item that's still in warranty.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I do kinda wish there was a 'hack' for it that would create a 'turbo' button/switch so I could force it into high-power mode. I think that would help with mulching some dried leaves. It doesn't seem to vacuum-up quite as well as my old gasser.

The reason your gas mower does a better job at vacuuming heavy items like dried leaves is that its blade tip speed is higher due to its blade being twice as long as the blades on the Greenworks twin blade mower. Blade tip speed is proportional to blade RPM and blade length, such that the blades in this mower must spin at twice the speed as a full size single blade mower to create the same lift force. This is one of the downsides of using smaller size blades.

1 Lucky Texan

dunno if it really belongs here or needs a separate thread but, the 'tool only' G-MAX equipment just got listed at Amazon. No delivery listed yet but, at least you could get your order in.

the way they are listed makes them hard to find so, you may need to get the GW 'tool only' part number for the equipment you're interested in from the GW website.

the 40V G-MAX 'tool only' (no battery or charger) hedge trimmer is #22332 and the blower is 24282

fyi

S

sporkk

I found a 10% off coupon for lowes so mine is on the way. I did buy the 3 year warranty so that way I'm covered from any weird qc defects. I may buy the trimmer if I like the mower.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that when browsing corded mowers I could not find one with a flip handle anymore which makes a cord slightly more tolerable. This helped to bring me into a decision to go battery powered.

1 Lucky Texan

I found a 10% off coupon for lowes so mine is on the way. I did buy the 3 year warranty so that way I'm covered from any weird qc defects. I may buy the trimmer if I like the mower.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that when browsing corded mowers I could not find one with a flip handle anymore which makes a cord slightly more tolerable. This helped to bring me into a decision to go battery powered.

yeah, the center-mounted flip handles made the corded mowers very useable on lawns with no/few obstacles. Start near the house and just work back and forth away from the outlet leaving the cord on the new-mown area. I bet I haven't used one in 35+ years now i think of it!

S

sporkk

I was excitedly waiting for the mower to arrive and decided to check the website as I had received no confirmation about anything. I found that my order had been cancelled! Ordering online is my only choice since they do not carry it locally. The first person I talked to thought they were out of stock when my order was placed but then the 2nd person said it was some kind of issue with the epp. I was half asleep when they returned my call. Anyway I found another 10% off coupon code from slickdeals and placed another order ... and while clicking the submit button is takes me to a page saying access in denied. How frustrating. I've been spoiled as a Amazon customer.

However it did seem to go through and is listed as processing. I'm still not sure they didn't cancel it the first time because they didn't like the 10% off code. So I won't have the extended warranty which is fine I guess. A reviewer on amazon posted a easy fix for the common problem of the mower not starting. You have to remove the cover and bend a bracket IIRC.

I was waiting to mow my front yard until this mower arrived so with the delay it should be quite a test for it. With my corded mower you have to walk slowly for it to cut the grass and I'm hoping I can move a bit faster with the twin blade.

1 Lucky Texan

A reviewer on amazon posted a easy fix for the common problem of the mower not starting. You have to remove the cover and bend a bracket IIRC.

got a link to that 'fix'?

N

northertunder

Well Guys i am back we have had rain for forty days and forty nights up here in Canada with the sun popping out for a few minutes now and then so we have had lots of Grass to Cut the Greenworks grass Trimmer works excellent love it i have not used my Shindaiwa once this year MY TWIN BLade Greenworks has been working excellent i have cut mine and the Neighbors Grass about 10 times when it is wet it does not Mulch as well as it should but i have not found a mower yet that does Happy silent Cutting Kevin:smile:

N

northertunder

FOR the GUYS whos GREENWORKS Twin Blade Mowers who won't Start when they get them Here is the FIX Put your Battery"s in PUT the Key in PUSH the Start Button PULL back the LEVER Release the Button Take your FREE hand while still holding the Safety bar And Push the cable that runs to the bar towards the bar it should get tighter and bingo the mower start I had to do this the first couple of times i started my mower and now it works fine if you have any Questions about this post it here and i will help you out Thanks Happy silent Cutting Kevin Think Green

S

sporkk

Actually I was mistaken and its for 25312 but it sort of sounds like the same problem that people are having.

Amazon.com: James W. Caras' review of GreenWorks 25312 G-MAX 40V Cordless 19" Mo...

If I ever have any troubles I will try the above posters directions before opening the mower. My order still says processing so I guess its good that its not cancelled yet.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Actually I was mistaken and its for 25312 but it sort of sounds like the same problem that people are having.

Amazon.com: James W. Caras' review of GreenWorks 25312 G-MAX 40V Cordless 19" Mo...

If I ever have any troubles I will try the above posters directions before opening the mower. My order still says processing so I guess its good that its not cancelled yet.

All of the Greenworks Li-Ion battery powered mowers use the same start mechanism, and even share many common parts. There are basically two possible failure points. The first is at the start button on the handlebar and the second is at the electrical switch under the mower housing cover. At both locations there are slider blocks which can fail to engage.

S

sporkk

I received the mower and was able to try it out. It cuts better than my corded B&D and is very easy to push. You still have to walk slower than with a gas mower which I expected. However the batteries only lasted about 35 min. I'm not sure if they will last any longer once they have been cycled a few times. I didn't expect a full 70 minutes but at least more than 50% of the quoted run time.

I brought out my reel mower to finish the job. I may have to return the mower if the run time doesn't improve even though I like it a lot

MowerMike

MowerMike

I received the mower and was able to try it out. It cuts better than my corded B&D and is very easy to push. You still have to walk slower than with a gas mower which I expected. However the batteries only lasted about 35 min. I'm not sure if they will last any longer once they have been cycled a few times. I didn't expect a full 70 minutes but at least more than 50% of the quoted run time.

I brought out my reel mower to finish the job. I may have to return the mower if the run time doesn't improve even though I like it a lot

Li Ion battery run time doesn't improve with cycling. Is the mower constantly running at a higher speed ? Run time is highly dependent on mowing conditions, and will be reduced significantly under constant heavy mowing of very thick or long or wet grass. I'm getting 35 minutes on just the large battery alone with still one battery light showing (25% capacity remaining) with about an 80/20 percent mix of easy and hard mowing. This equates to about 70 minutes total run time. If you are mowing under similar conditions then one or both of your batteries may be weak and should be replaced under warranty. I had a problem with a battery on a previous Greenworks mower that also gave me less than 50% of rated run time, and the replacement gives me 100%.

1 Lucky Texan

that's disappointing. Were you able to confirm that the 'active' LEDS switched from one side to the other? Does the mower start at high rpm then drop to low rpm?

You might experiment with running the small battery alone, then, when depleted, put it on the charger and use the large battery. Then, if you only have a small area left after depleting the large battery, the small battery may have 5-10 minutes of charge in it and MIGHT finish up.

but it does seem like something is wrong.

S

sporkk

The grass was somewhat damp and I missed a week of mowing in the front so I could put this mower to the test. So yes it was running at full power most of the time. I started out with the 2ah battery and run time on that was 10 - 15 min. I put that back in the charger and ran down the larger battery and finished up with the reel mower. I then put the 2 ah battery back in to grab the taller stuff that the reel mower missed and squeezed another 5 min out of the battery.

I'm going after the back yard later which I mowed last week and will report back how the run times are. Maybe the run time is accurate and my expectations were off due to the conditions of the yard. I will certainly have to pick up another battery though. I have my mower set at 3". I wouldn't mind buying more batteries if it was a one time thing but the cost really multiplies when it comes time to replace them.

S

sporkk

I just mowed the back yard. The 2ah battery lasted 10 minutes. The grass was shorter than the front and was not wet. I mowed for another 10 min with the larger battery and the back was done. So the back yard takes 20 - 25 min which is about the same as my reel mower. I estimated my front yard at 3200 square feet by walking it. The back yard is smaller so a real rough estimate of my yard is 5 - 6k square feet.

I'm not sure what to do. There were several other reviewers on lowes with similar 30 - 40 min run times. One person called and they said the only option was to return because they didn't have replacement parts. Maybe its the thickness of my grass. I'm going to test the voltage on the batteries after a fresh charge. Has anyone tested theirs? I was very happy mowing without a cord but the batteries are disappointing. MAYBE I could do the entire yard if I had 3 full size batteries.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I'm going to test the voltage on the batteries after a fresh charge. Has anyone tested theirs?

My two batteries measure 41.3 to 41.4 vdc between the two outer terminals labelled + and - when fully charged.

S

sporkk

I just checked one of the batteries after a charge and it measured 41.6. Maybe kentucky bluegrass is a bit thicker causing it to run at full power most of the time. I'm still undecided if I should return it or not. How many years of use will these batteries carry near full capacity? If they have to be replaced say every 3 years that is over a $300 bill for me. In comparison a gas mower is maybe $25 a year in maintenance and gas.

N

northertunder

Howdy all well i see some people are getting short cut times mine lasted over an hour the first time i used mine and still had 2 dots left on my second Battery and it was heavy wet cutting so i would contact the seller and get new batteries something is wrong or contact Greenworks this type of batteryshould work right after the first full charge its nice when all you hear is the sound of grass being CUT till next time Kevin

S

sporkk

I let mine run without cutting any grass and made 19 min on the 2ah battery. So yea something is not right if others are getting 20 + minutes while mowing on the small battery. I returned it to lowes and a employee was there trying to school me on batteries saying that maybe I left it on the charger to long etc which was mildly annoying.

I have my refund and our local store does not stock the mower. I didn't want to call greenworks because other reviewers have said they don't have batteries at the moment and even if they did it would probably use up my warranty on them (if thats how they still work it). I guess back to the cord for now.

1 Lucky Texan

dunno if it really belongs here or needs a separate thread but, the 'tool only' G-MAX equipment just got listed at Amazon. No delivery listed yet but, at least you could get your order in.

the way they are listed makes them hard to find so, you may need to get the GW 'tool only' part number for the equipment you're interested in from the GW website.

the 40V G-MAX 'tool only' (no battery or charger) hedge trimmer is #22332 and the blower is 24282

fyi

Amazon sent me a delivery estimate on my 40V G-MAX hedge trimmer and blower 'tool only' order; Jul 10 - 31.

GW is sure slow getting these available for this season.

just fyi

MowerMike

MowerMike

Amazon sent me a delivery estimate on my 40V G-MAX hedge trimmer and blower 'tool only' order; Jul 10 - 31.

GW is sure slow getting these available for this season.

Don't forget that all these products come in container ships from China, which can take over a month. Greenworks does not manufacture anything, and they rely on contract factories in China for everything they sell. Many parts like batteries are sold through other companies such as Dixie products.

1 Lucky Texan

Don't forget that all these products come in container ships from China, which can take over a month. Greenworks does not manufacture anything, and they rely on contract factories in China for everything they sell. Many parts like batteries are sold through other companies such as Dixie products.

yeah, Sun or Sunrise I think may be the Chinese Co. ? Or maybe that's the Canadian Co. that owns GW?

Just seems like you'd plan for that container ship's travel time in launching a product line.

Looks like at least one more hedge trimming job with my Black & Decker 18v NiCd unit!

MowerMike

MowerMike

yeah, Sun or Sunrise I think may be the Chinese Co. ? Or maybe that's the Canadian Co. that owns GW?

Just seems like you'd plan for that container ship's travel time in launching a product line.

Looks like at least one more hedge trimming job with my Black & Decker 18v NiCd unit!

Honestly, except for their Li-Ion mowers and chain saw, I don't care much for their other 40V products. I much prefer my B&D 36V Li-Ion string trimmer to the Greenworks 40V trimmer, have yet to find a battery powered blower that can do anything useful beyond being an electric dust broom, and use a B&D corded blower/vac for leaf cleanup in the fall. I don't have any hedge trimmers, because I don't have any hedges. I recently bought a B&D 36V Li-Ion blower/vac tool only, since I already have two 36V batteries for my trimmer, that is great for light duty vacuuming on outdoor hard surfaces. If I have any serious leaf blowing to do I just use one of my handheld gas blowers.

1 Lucky Texan

Honestly, except for their Li-Ion mowers and chain saw, I don't care much for their other 40V products. I much prefer my B&D 36V Li-Ion string trimmer to the Greenworks 40V trimmer, have yet to find a battery powered blower that can do anything useful beyond being an electric dust broom, and use a B&D corded blower/vac for leaf cleanup in the fall. I don't have any hedge trimmers, because I don't have any hedges. I recently bought a B&D 36V Li-Ion blower/vac tool only, since I already have two 36V batteries for my trimmer, that is great for light duty vacuuming on outdoor hard surfaces. If I have any serious leaf blowing to do I just use one of my handheld gas blowers.

I definitely don't have the suite of tools you do and my present blower is corded. I don't use it much, partly because of the cord hassle so, hoping the GW blower is adequate. From what I've read, I expect the hedge trimmer will be a step up from my B&D.

Thing is, I have mutliple tools like drill-driver, emergency/work light, recip. saw, chain saw, sander, etc. in the 18V single source line. i already gave my s-i-l the 18v string trimmer, a dual charger and 2 batteries. i told him to save for LI-ion tools though. I'll mention the 36V B&D line to him since you seem pleased with it.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I definitely don't have the suite of tools you do and my present blower is corded. I don't use it much, partly because of the cord hassle so, hoping the GW blower is adequate.

I have the GW blower with the gen 1 non G-MAX 40V battery, and it's a real disappointment in terms of blowing power. I actually think my old WeedEater 20v Li-Ion blower is more powerful, but neither of them do much more than dust off the driveway and walkways of dry clippings after mowing. I can get things cleaned up faster with a broom.

R

ross77

I just received this mower last week and mowed my 1/4 acre lawn last weekend. It used all of the larger battery and half of the smaller battery. It seemed to be running in the low speed mode most of the time.

I bagged on the 2nd lowest setting. I've got Kentucky Bluegrass. It wasn't overly long or wet.

I'm happy with the mower. The batteries not lasting long enough was my main concern before purchasing and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

No gas and low noise is fantastic. Now if I could just get my neighbors to all buy one.....

MowerMike

MowerMike

For anyone interested in buying replacement blades, the price has come down significantly since I last posted a link to an online source. They used to cost $18.79 apiece, but are now only $10.35 from the same vendor.

Blade part no. 33307486 (blade) >>> 33307486 - Greenworks Part 33307486 - Blade - GRN-33307486 - GREENWORKS

Blade part no. 33308486 (reverse blade) >>> 33308486 - Greenworks Part 33308486 - Reverse blade - GRN-33308486 - GREENWORKS

You can also purchase repair parts such as the electric power switch, which can fail over time >>> http://www.m-and-d.com/GRN-36302470.html

1 Lucky Texan

For anyone interested in buying replacement blades, the price has come down significantly since I last posted a link to an online source. They used to cost $18.79 apiece, but are now only $10.35 from the same vendor.

You can also purchase repair parts such as the electric power switch, which can fail over time >>> 36302470 - Greenworks Part 36302470 - Switch - GRN-36302470 - GREENWORKS

good post - prompted me to check ordertree and they now list $9.00 for one of the blades (looks like they also caught their mistake on the G-MAX battery price, now at $130)

Also, on a related subject, 'tool only' 40V G-MAX equipment may be in stock now. Amazon has shipped my blower. just FYI

MowerMike

MowerMike

good post - prompted me to check ordertree and they now list $9.00 for one of the blades (looks like they also caught their mistake on the G-MAX battery price, now at $130)

Also, on a related subject, 'tool only' 40V G-MAX equipment may be in stock now. Amazon has shipped my blower. just FYI

It's kind of ridiculous that they only list one of the blades (reverse blade) and not the other, since you'd most likely want to replace them as a set. Also, the battery price is now $11 more than the Amazon price, so what's the point in buying it from them.

It looks like Greenworks also has a new line of 20V Li-Ion battery tools with what they call a "compact" battery. So far there is a string trimmer and a hedge trimmer, and they can either be bought with battery and charger included or as tool only. They are less expensive than the previous generation 20V tools.

1 Lucky Texan

It's kind of ridiculous that they only list one of the blades (reverse blade) and not the other, since you'd most likely want to replace them as a set. Also, the battery price is now $11 more than the Amazon price, so what's the point in buying it from them.

It looks like Greenworks also has a new line of 20V Li-Ion battery tools with what they call a "compact" battery. So far there is a string trimmer and a hedge trimmer, and they can either be bought with battery and charger included or as tool only. They are less expensive than the previous generation 20V tools.

that is weird - maybe another typo ?

(probably both blades are actually unavailable lol! - BTW, that now $130 battery shows as backordered too.)

Hope there WILL be multiple sources for parts though.

more incompatible lines of batteries huh? crazy

MowerMike

MowerMike

I didn't bother to look for the other one. sorry for any confusion i just didn't have both numbers handy and I was almost out of battery power when I posted. They had previously listed both so, they probably still have both.

good to see multiple places listing parts and that prices are more reasonable.

Actually, I did check ordertree and they do not list the other 10" blade. They are listed under Sunrise as the manufacturer, not Greenworks, and they only have three blades: 18" for $15, 16" for $15 and 10" (reverse blade for twin force) for $9.

1 Lucky Texan

Actually, I did check ordertree and they do not list the other 10" blade. They are listed under Sunrise as the manufacturer, not Greenworks, and they only have three blades: 18" for $15, 16" for $15 and 10" (reverse blade for twin force) for $9.

somehow, they're related. At the bottom of some pages at the GW website, you see this;

ゥ2013 Sunrise Global Marketing LLC

so, i dunno who owns who.

EDIT; found the following in a press release;

About Sunrise Global Marketing, LLC
Sunrise Global Marketing, LLC , located in Mooresville, NC is the North American sales and marketing division for Globe Tools Company, Ltd., a privately held global manufacturer of outdoor power equipment. SGM supports major retail customers in the U.S. and Canada, both with OEM brands and with their private brands, GreenWorks, PowerWorks and ToolWorks.

About Globe Tools Co., Ltd.
Globe Tools , based in Changzhou, China, is a privately-held company with offices and facilities in Changzhou, China, USA, Canada, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. Operating globally since 2001, Globe manufactures outdoor power equipment, including lawn and garden tools, generators, air compressors and pressure washers. In addition to manufacturing for several of the top brands in the U.S. and Europe, Globe manufactures products under their own brands of GreenWorks, PowerWorks and ToolWorks.

not certain though, that there might be a quality difference between the same part number being sourced as Sunrise vs Greenworks

ordertree is about 80 miles away from Sunrise in NC. and there's this; http://www.ordertree.com/lowes/ Perhaps because...Lowe's is headquartered in Mooresville NC !

interesting

1 Lucky Texan

OK, I just received the blower i ordered and, you are right, it is indeed toy-like compared to my old Weedeater corded blower. i think it will be adequate for chasing grass clippings and leaves off the driveway - but i doubt it could do anything 'serious' like move wet leaves around or blow a dryer vent-stack clean. My wife likes it - it will be more convenient for her than a broom to clear off the deck. No cord hassle will be a plus. Seems a little expensive for what you get though. The manual has an error concerning the switch and power-level operation. Perhaps the text was just moved over from a different model?

Hedge trimmer should arrive on Monday. It will probably get a work-out soon. Mower is still quite nice overall.

MowerMike

MowerMike

The manual has an error concerning the switch and power-level operation. Perhaps the text was just moved over from a different model?

I'm not sure what error you are referring to. The instructions in my manual for the Gen 1 40V battery model 24102 seem to be correct.

1 Lucky Texan

I'm not sure what error you are referring to. The instructions in my manual for the Gen 1 40V battery model 24102 seem to be correct.

The manual's instructions are for a combination On/Off/power-level switch. My 24282 has a separate On/Off switch( a rocker switch with the now ubiquitous I and 0 markings) located forward on the extreme top , forward-facing portion of the handle. After is is turned on, the rolling thumbwheel controls the power.

Even the drawing on the front of the manual is missing the switch. As well as every 'figure' inside the manual.

if you zoom in (Ctrl + on my FireFox browser) on this pic from a Canadian site, you can see the switch;

greenworks-g-max-40v-leaf-blower-m.jpg

but not at greenworkstools or Amazon. No big deal really, just indicative of inattention to detail.

MowerMike

MowerMike

The manual's instructions are for a combination On/Off/power-level switch. My 24282 has a separate On/Off switch( a rocker switch with the now ubiquitous I and 0 markings) located forward on the extreme top , forward-facing portion of the handle. After is is turned on, the rolling thumbwheel controls the power.

Even the drawing on the front of the manual is missing the switch. As well as every 'figure' inside the manual.

if you zoom in (Ctrl + on my FireFox browser) on this pic from a Canadian site, you can see the switch;

View attachment 15242

but not at greenworkstools or Amazon. No big deal really, just indicative of inattention to detail.

That's exactly how mine works. There's a single thumbwheel switch that serves both as an ON/OFF switch and speed control. So, they've taken the manual for mine and not bothered to revise it to be consistent with yours.

1 Lucky Texan

That's exactly how mine works. There's a single thumbwheel switch that serves both as an ON/OFF switch and speed control. So, they've taken the manual for mine and not bothered to revise it to be consistent with yours.

that's how it seems. I wish it was like yours, the switch's location is a little awkward. A 'trigger' style switch would be the best for battery run-time. easier to turn the device off while walking to another area for work.

definitely feels like a design feature engineered by someone who has never used yard tools, or, hurriedly slapped on for regulatory reasons.

MowerMike

MowerMike

100 review mark reached on the Lowe's website store

These mowers have been selling like hotcakes at Lowe's, which is the only outlet for them in the USA. The 100 review mark was reached today, and they are mixed. 71 of 100 reviewers would recommend this product, whereas the remaining 29% would not. The main reasons for the negative reviews are initial quality defects such as failure to operate, broken key connector, defectively made plastic parts, short run time and weak plastic parts that break. The main reasons for the positive reviews are ease of use, light weight, good cutting power, good run times, short recharge times and quiet operation. The biggest drawback this product is bad quality control and poor customer service, and its biggest asset is advanced design at an affordable price.

1 Lucky Texan

Re: 100 review mark reached on the Lowe's website store

These mowers have been selling like hotcakes at Lowe's, which is the only outlet for them in the USA. The 100 review mark was reached today, and they are mixed. 71 of 100 reviewers would recommend this product, whereas the remaining 29% would not. The main reasons for the negative reviews are initial quality defects such as failure to operate, broken key connector, defectively made plastic parts, short run time and weak plastic parts that break. The main reasons for the positive reviews are ease of use, light weight, good cutting power, good run times, short recharge times and quiet operation. The biggest drawback this product is bad quality control and poor customer service, and its biggest asset is advanced design at an affordable price.

great summary.

I wonder where the returned units are going? Maybe CPOoutdoor.com ? or ??? I kinda wish i could get a re-furbed one, if it was cheap enough, to dig into. I could keep it for parts and maybe figure out a way to make a 'turbo' button to force it into high-speed operation.

1 Lucky Texan

Used the mower on my overgrown backyard. I missed mowing and got caught with about 4 days of rain, then waiting a coupla more days for a cooler Saturday morning. It did as well as my old gasser would have. Mulching suffered if I tried to mow too much 'mass' but, I just slowed down a little and/or overlapped more of the path.

R

ross77

After using this mower for about a month I'm giving it a B. Had they included two large batteries this would have been a home run. I can't finish my 1/4 acre lawn with the included batteries.

I've also noticed it has been missing blades of grass so I have to mow a little slower. I would assume this is contributing to the batteries running out before I can finish.

Could the blades already be dull or is it due to the lower suction power of two small blades? It must not be able to pull up the grass to get cut as well as a gas mower.

1 Lucky Texan

After using this mower for about a month I'm giving it a B. Had they included two large batteries this would have been a home run. I can't finish my 1/4 acre lawn with the included batteries.

I've also noticed it has been missing blades of grass so I have to mow a little slower. I would assume this is contributing to the batteries running out before I can finish.

Could the blades already be dull or is it due to the lower suction power of two small blades? It must not be able to pull up the grass to get cut as well as a gas mower.

I had stragglers with my old gasser, which I think were due to the weight on the wheels. The stragglers with this GW mower, seem to be more random so, yeah, I think it's low suction. Or possibly due to more walking around I do pre-mow to clear sticks away. Overall, about the same number of uncut blades I'd say.

I did sharpen the blades on my mower but, not sure it made a huge difference.

C

cwlaw

We recently bought our first house and after researching our options for electric mowers decided on the dual blade greenworks mower. It worked fine the first few times and then it just died in the middle of mowing the lawn. My first thought was that I had drained the battery so I grabbed the second battery that had been on the charging cradle. It showed a full charge so I put it in the lawnmower and put the other battery on the cradle (it still showed 2 green lights worth of charge). Nothing. I had used the smaller battery alone before so I knew it could work, but nothing. I took it back to Lowes and they gave me a replacement. It worked fine the first couple of times but then sat in my garage for about 10 days due to rainy weather making grass cutting impractical. Went to turn it on... nothing. Both batteries fully charged...nothing.

I noticed that I had left the key in when I got the lawn mower out so my first thought was that perhaps it does more than just close a circuit and there was some internal battery that I had drained. This wouldn't explain how the first lawnmower died as it had died in the middle of operation, but seemed plausible for this scenario. I opened up the lawnmower and there doesn't appear to be any sort of internal battery. There is a small panel with a couple of capacitors on it, but no indication that they are there for anything more than power conditioning.

The starter pull is activating the mechanism correctly, the issue appears to be in the electric board somewhere. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do about this would be greatly appreciated. If I wind up returning it again I won't be getting a third, I'll just abandon my hope of a quieter, more environmental lawn mower, and get myself a gas mower.

MowerMike

MowerMike

We recently bought our first house and after researching our options for electric mowers decided on the dual blade greenworks mower. It worked fine the first few times and then it just died in the middle of mowing the lawn. My first thought was that I had drained the battery so I grabbed the second battery that had been on the charging cradle. It showed a full charge so I put it in the lawnmower and put the other battery on the cradle (it still showed 2 green lights worth of charge). Nothing. I had used the smaller battery alone before so I knew it could work, but nothing. I took it back to Lowes and they gave me a replacement. It worked fine the first couple of times but then sat in my garage for about 10 days due to rainy weather making grass cutting impractical. Went to turn it on... nothing. Both batteries fully charged...nothing.

I noticed that I had left the key in when I got the lawn mower out so my first thought was that perhaps it does more than just close a circuit and there was some internal battery that I had drained. This wouldn't explain how the first lawnmower died as it had died in the middle of operation, but seemed plausible for this scenario. I opened up the lawnmower and there doesn't appear to be any sort of internal battery. There is a small panel with a couple of capacitors on it, but no indication that they are there for anything more than power conditioning.

The starter pull is activating the mechanism correctly, the issue appears to be in the electric board somewhere. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do about this would be greatly appreciated. If I wind up returning it again I won't be getting a third, I'll just abandon my hope of a quieter, more environmental lawn mower, and get myself a gas mower.

The key is just a jumper that acts as a second safety switch. Check it with an ohmmeter to make sure it has continuity (zero resistance). Also, check continuity throughout the internal wiring and look for loose connections. Also, did you try the battery in both compartments ? It could be a blown capacitor on the power board or the internal power switch may be broken.

A

atp1313

Greenworks 20" twin blade got wet

We had 4" of rain 2 days ago and my mower "may" have gotten wet from rising water in the yard (it was up to my calves before I could drain the yard). It is at the very least damp from the extra humidity, and won't start. Is there a set time frame to let it dry out? Anything I can do to accelerate the drying time? Is it ruined? How bad can this be?

MowerMike

MowerMike

Re: Greenworks 20" twin blade got wet

We had 4" of rain 2 days ago and my mower "may" have gotten wet from rising water in the yard (it was up to my calves before I could drain the yard). It is at the very least damp from the extra humidity, and won't start. Is there a set time frame to let it dry out? Anything I can do to accelerate the drying time? Is it ruined? How bad can this be?

Are you telling us that you left the mower outside in the rain ? :eek:

1 Lucky Texan

If you could get to the electronics and spray everything out with alcohol, that might help. Some folks have had issues with fairly new mowers where they had to use their thumb to pull the cable that runs from the 'bail' - handle, sideways (after pressing the button and pulling the bail down) to increase the distance of pull to engage the switch. Might be worth a try.

Was there any sound of the motors trying to spin? Just wondering if a film of rust might be adding xtra drag on the shafts and the electronics is 'folding back' or otherwise shutting the power off when it detects the xtra load. maybe remove the battery and the key, flip it over, see if the blades can be turned. If they seem to need 'busting loose' then do that, replace the key and try to start.

Dirty water on electrical stuff is not good, but a very clean water flush followed by some alcohol or other flush might get you some more service before it takes a dirt nap.

A

atp1313

Are you telling us that you left the mower outside in the rain ? :eek:

No, I had the mower in my shed, which is 2" off the ground, but we had massive rain. I meant to say earlier, it was 4" in a half hour. We had probably about 6" for the day. But it was a real frog choker.

EDIT: If rain made it into the shed, I don't think it would have been deep enough to get UP into the electronics. But it was certainly WET/DAMP

A

atp1313

If you could get to the electronics and spray everything out with alcohol, that might help. Some folks have had issues with fairly new mowers where they had to use their thumb to pull the cable that runs from the 'bail' - handle, sideways (after pressing the button and pulling the bail down) to increase the distance of pull to engage the switch. Might be worth a try.

Was there any sound of the motors trying to spin? Just wondering if a film of rust might be adding xtra drag on the shafts and the electronics is 'folding back' or otherwise shutting the power off when it detects the xtra load. maybe remove the battery and the key, flip it over, see if the blades can be turned. If they seem to need 'busting loose' then do that, replace the key and try to start.

Dirty water on electrical stuff is not good, but a very clean water flush followed by some alcohol or other flush might get you some more service before it takes a dirt nap.

Blades turn freely. No sounds associated with starting. Just a click/thunk as the start handle is pulled down. So it seems the tension is where it should be. But I will try the pulling/moving of the cable.

I don't have any alcohol to spray on it, so I will need to go buy some. Any recommendations for what kind/brand to buy and where? Lowes? Specialty store?

1 Lucky Texan

Blades turn freely. No sounds associated with starting. Just a click/thunk as the start handle is pulled down. So it seems the tension is where it should be. But I will try the pulling/moving of the cable.

I don't have any alcohol to spray on it, so I will need to go buy some. Any recommendations for what kind/brand to buy and where? Lowes? Specialty store?

I wouldn't buy anything yet. Try the trick with tightening the cable after pulling the bail first. And carefully remove/re-seat the red safety key too. I wouldn't begin to know how to tell you to try cleaning/drying any electronics without disassembling the mower first. Even then, we may discover that any PCBs have been conformally coated anyway and can't get wet. (certainly possible some connectors and wiring could get wet.) I'm betting the start failure is more of a coincidence since it seems like mower wasn't submerged.

There are several reports in the review/comments section at Lowes for the mower, of the no-start issue. And I THINK at Amazon a 19" or 16" inch GW mower also has reports of failing the same way. One of those submitters has had success disassembling the mower and bending a bracket to increase the 'throw' of the cable. read this reviewer's comments for the 19" mower - maybe your mower has a similar problem; http://www.amazon.com/review/RGX27HN7PSHJ0/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

MowerMike

MowerMike

Over 20,000 views !!!

This epic thread has reached another milestone.

yeeeeeehaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Re: Over 20,000 views !!!

This epic thread has reached another milestone.

yeeeeeehaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!

You started a nice thread! :dance1:

1 Lucky Texan

just reporting that the mower is generally doing well. I had a somewhat overgrown backyard that I mowed recently and the mower did OK. It does leave tall, uncut stragglers - perhaps one or 2 more than my old gas mower, but they seem random - not 'mohawked' or mashed down by the wheels. Other than stragglers though, the cut is flat and even. I did sharpen the blades with a file and they seem to keep their edge well so, I may only do that a coupla times during the cutting season. I've never experienced a failure to start and I seem to get the same amount of power from the batteries I have across the 4 G-max tools I own. I 'try' not to recharge a battery unless is is dead or only the last green light is on (supposedly, 1 light means 10% charge remaining) - as, from what I've read, it is the number of charge cycles that is rough on battery lifespan.

R

rijola

Nearly impossible to find this mower in an actual Lowes store anywhere in the Upper Midwest in mid-August! Finally ordered on Lowes.com and, after a week's delay, got one sent. $375 after online Lowe's coupon I found. Set it up when it arrived yesterday (well, after I charged up both batteries first) and took it right to the tall 6" grass in our ditch. (It was the only thing growing much this month in our parts.) OK, it didn't match our 21-year-old Toro recycler for speed and power but, with the setting on the highest level, it did take care of business at a somewhat slower rate than we're used to. The 30 pounds LESS weight we pushed/pulled/turned made mowing the ditches a LOT easier on the muscles and joints. My wife's grin pretty much told it all. Yes, she does most of the mowing. I do all the fixing ... like replacing the gas tank on the old Toro with a new one that arrived the day before the Greenworks mower. Since nothing else was growing much we dropped the level down to where we're used to, remowed the ditches and all looks good. You can actually TALK(!) to each other while mowing when this is humming along. Gone are the shouting episodes or just plain shutting down the Toro to talk to the operator. We DON'T have a manicured, golf course sterile, biological desert lawn without weeds. We LIKE wildlife and diversity so we have lots of GREEN things growing in our lawn that are NOT grass species. (It's why our lawn is green and others' are brown right now, unless they pour liquid $$ out their hoses onto the grass every few days.) I did mow one small strip of the yard that is pretty much just grass, about 5" long (remember our Toro was out of commission) due to the neighbor's overspray from water and fertilizer. This thicker grass did manage to get balled up under the Greenworks set at our regular trim level but would not have looked a whole lot better with our Toro since the grass was that long and dense. Another pass or two and the clumps were chopped up. BOTTOM LINE IN TERMS OF PERFORMANCE -- we think that not having to buy gas, fill and refill the tank, store gas, treat the gas over winter, change oil, change plugs, change air filters, take up a bigger footprint in the garage, having to lean UNDER the bottom to clean it (so gas/oil doesn't leak out when tipped on side) are all factors that overrule the negative aspect of having to move a bit slower in the taller grass with the Greenworks mower. I wish we'd have gotten it earlier in the season to be able to give a more valid review but we will post here with any and all irritating flaws if/when we come across any. I should note that we did not use the grass catcher in our trials and really don't plan to in the future. (Why take the nutrients OFF the lawn?)

IN TERMS OF CONSTRUCTION, I'd agree with some other reviewers that the connection points with the handle to the mower could be problematic in the long run. I'm hoping the lighter weight of the overall mower will not stress those joints as much as I've seen in other mowers we owned or used in the past. I'm pleased with the detailed diagrams and list of ALL parts in the user manual but am concerned with others' reports of problems getting Greenworks parts and dealing with their customer service. It's convenient that the two-piece handle will collapse and you can tip the compressed unit 90[SUP]o[/SUP] so that it can be stored vertically with only the back wheels on the floor (front wheels skyward). You'll have to create some way for it to STAY that way because, unlike other electrics I've seen, it doesn't automatically do so on its own. I'm concerned about the handle connections because we expect to do this every time we use the mower and will have to loosen and tighten all 4 connectors each time we do this. There are no tools needed for this but I wonder how long the threads will withstand this repeated usage. If we ever decide to really get RID of our Toro, we won't need to store the Greenworks in this small of a space, but I can't see getting rid of that oldie until it really dies.

REGARDING THE BATTERIES, we noted that after 20 minutes of mowing those ditches we were able to get 2 out of 4 lights to light up on the larger battery's indicator. I would crudely figure that put the usage at 50% of this new battery mowing tall grass and weeds. We haven't had the need to use the lower capacity battery yet. After reading way more than enough at Battery University about lithiums, I'll withhold judgement as to what that even means but will post ASAP if we experience any disappointing results. I do plan on buying another large capacity battery as our lawn is about 1/3 acre and we don't want to have to do it in two sessions. (First we'll see if we can get the whole thing done in one shot with the 2 batteries that come with the unit when the grass is normal length.)

Stay tuned for more details (if we ever get rain). I'll also post on our experience mulching up leaves when they start getting thick and heavy in the coming months. I would venture to say that we will likely never attempt to mow/mulch in conditions as wet as we have in the past with our Toro. Though these occasions were rare, I just don't think the design of the Greenworks would be suited for those situations.

Mow on!:rolleyes:

1 Lucky Texan

good post

You described the conditions in which you were mowing so, I don't think your review is invalid at all. Like me, you seem to feel that the mower is not perfect, but still an adequate replacement for a smaller gas mower used under 'generally' typical conditions.

I've read that the battery charge indicator lights are at 75%, 40% (I think?) and the last one at 10%. I try to wait till I've discharged the battery or it's down to just 1 light before recharging as I've read it is charging cycles that contribute most to the demise of batteries.

Consider taking a file to the blades and sharpening them. I also dump the clippings out of that mulching plug occasionally. I have previously threatened to fill it's 'chambers' with expanding foam but haven't done it yet.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I've read that the battery charge indicator lights are at 75%, 40% (I think?) and the last one at 10%. I try to wait till I've discharged the battery or it's down to just 1 light before recharging as I've read it is charging cycles that contribute most to the demise of batteries.

It's not necessary to fully discharge Li-Ion batteries before recharging to extend their service life. The term "charging cycles" is really "full charging cycles", such that you will get more partial charging cycles out of a battery than full charging cycles. So in the end it makes little difference what useage strategy you choose. Also, Li-Ion batteries do not have a memory effect the way NiCd batteries do, such that there is no degradation of their capacity by recharging them when they are only partially discharged. Finally, Li-Ion batteries do not require periodic charging the way SLA batteries do, such that you can just store them away during long periods of nonuse. I simply remove the battery after every use and recharge it fully, then let it sit until the the next use so I will always have a fully charged battery available. The discharge rate of Li-Ion batteries is extremely low, and they can sit for months without any significant drop in capacity.

Mark Widmer

Mark Widmer

My friends ruined their mower's SLA battery once because they too thought you were supposed to fully discharge it before recharging. With SLA's, the electrodes start degrading when they are run at low charge. Not sure just what happens with Li-ion types, but I would not want to push it.

1 Lucky Texan

You guys are right about the batteries and i was wrong. Further reading (at How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University and the comments after) seems to indicate slightly longer useful lifespan by recharging LI-ion at about 50% degree of discharge point and that they really don't mind being recharged at any dod. But, it seems the worse thing I am doing is probably keeping them in my hot garage! I'm considering bringing them into my house when not in use.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Here's another video, this time by an actual homeowner rather than some manufacturer salesman:

1932highboy

1932highboy

I bought my twin force mower back in June. Absolutely love it. No problems,it cuts my lawn on the biggest battery.

D

dave-m

well I bought into the hype and picked one up today from Canadian Tire. I was lucky to find it just went on sale for $50 cheaper and comes with 2-4ah batteries

Assembly was, well, taking it out of the box and straightening the handle out. I put one battery on the charger and one in the mower. I have a small lawn, about 800 sqft in the back and 400 in the front. I mowed the rear with whatever charge was on the battery in the box. I then went in for dinner, came out and tossed the other battery in and did the front. I was immediately surprised at how quiet it was. Like about the same as a vacuum. I was very impressed. I handled my small lawns with no issue. The boulevard in front of my place has extremely thick grass and was a bit long. It cut no problem but the mulch was a bit clumpy. I had it set on #1 height and will likely put it at 2 for the next cut.

I formerly cut with a Scotts Classic reel mower, and with the small size of the yard it was more than adequate. What I didn't like was the uneven cut and wheel lines left from the reel mower. This Greenworks left me with the plush green carpet I've been wanting. Well worth the $$. Thanks to this forum for the great info. I had never even heard of Greenworks before finding this place.

1 Lucky Texan

Here's another video, this time by an actual homeowner rather than some manufacturer salesman:

Just want to point out a possibly misleading portion of the video. The mulch plug is not used with the bagging attachment.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

well I bought into the hype and picked one up today from Canadian Tire. I was lucky to find it just went on sale for $50 cheaper and comes with 2-4ah batteries

Assembly was, well, taking it out of the box and straightening the handle out. I put one battery on the charger and one in the mower. I have a small lawn, about 800 sqft in the back and 400 in the front. I mowed the rear with whatever charge was on the battery in the box. I then went in for dinner, came out and tossed the other battery in and did the front. I was immediately surprised at how quiet it was. Like about the same as a vacuum. I was very impressed. I handled my small lawns with no issue. The boulevard in front of my place has extremely thick grass and was a bit long. It cut no problem but the mulch was a bit clumpy. I had it set on #1 height and will likely put it at 2 for the next cut.

I formerly cut with a Scotts Classic reel mower, and with the small size of the yard it was more than adequate. What I didn't like was the uneven cut and wheel lines left from the reel mower. This Greenworks left me with the plush green carpet I've been wanting. Well worth the $$. Thanks to this forum for the great info. I had never even heard of Greenworks before finding this place.

Glad you're happy with it! :thumbsup:

R

rijola

I did an online search using the blade part numbers and found a source for the blades. There are two separate blades, since one of them rotates in the opposite direction from the other one.

As you can see, they are a bit pricey @ $18.79 each, but at least you can be confident that they are available.

Those same links now show the price at $10.35 -- immensely more reasonable in price. For that price, I'd replace them every year and maybe just get them sharpened once/year.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Those same links now show the price at $10.35 -- immensely more reasonable in price. For that price, I'd replace them every year and maybe just get them sharpened once/year.

Actually, the prices came down about 4 months ago. See post #93.

1 Lucky Texan

has anyone received a hat or other promo item yet? I thought they were gonna send some gear out to their customers?

MowerMike

MowerMike

has anyone received a hat or other promo item yet? I thought they were gonna send some gear out to their customers?

Nope. :thumbdown:

R

rijola

First, to respond to the recent question -- no, I've gotten no "gimmies" from Greenworks either.

?..
REGARDING THE BATTERIES, we noted that after 20 minutes of mowing those ditches we were able to get 2 out of 4 lights to light up on the larger battery's indicator. I would crudely figure that put the usage at 50% of this new battery mowing tall grass and weeds. We haven't had the need to use the lower capacity battery yet. After reading way more than enough at Battery University about lithiums, I'll withhold judgement as to what that even means but will post ASAP if we experience any disappointing results. I do plan on buying another large capacity battery as our lawn is about 1/3 acre and we don't want to have to do it in two sessions. (First we'll see if we can get the whole thing done in one shot with the 2 batteries that come with the unit when the grass is normal length.)

Stay tuned for more details (if we ever get rain). I'll also post on our experience mulching up leaves when they start getting thick and heavy in the coming months. I would venture to say that we will likely never attempt to mow/mulch in conditions as wet as we have in the past with our Toro. Though these occasions were rare, I just don't think the design of the Greenworks would be suited for those situations.

Second, I was being WAY too optimistic about those batteries. I posted this statement regarding less than desirable battery run times on the Greenworks Facebook page earlier this month.

"At this point, I'm thinking of buying one of the reconditioned ones [20" Twin Force] that are available on the web for around $312. I'd have my 2 extra batteries and another charger, an extra set of blades for when I bring in the other to get sharpened, and any other replacement parts I'll be needing in the future -- all shipped for only $6 and no tax (as I had to pay when I bought our new one from Lowes)."

I generally get from 13-15 minutes of run time from that smaller battery. Hardly worth leaning over, putting it in, turning it on, and doing what seems like less than 10% of my lawn before I have to be leaning over again followed by another trip to the charger. I can deal with the 25-35 minutes I get on the larger battery but I'd apparently have to pay as much or more for additional batteries as I paid for the original mower to do my lawn in one "push." This is so because the mower is narrower than my original Toro recycler and I generally have to go a bit slower in order to not make the Twin Force kick into high RPM mode AND so that it cuts effectively (since the blades have become rather dull after only three mowings). I signed up for email special offers on CPO Outlets and hope to get some $$ off of one of the reconditioned units they're selling for $312 (Free shipping now!). I'll wait for a deal before I pull the trigger. I hope having 2 chargers with 4 batteries will get our 13,000 sq.ft. mowed in one shot.

Third, if you check out Greenworks' reply to my first posting on that FB page in the link above, you'll note they respond that the comblike teeth on the bottom of the mower are not that essential to the effectiveness of the mower. My experience in cutting tall grass, mowing and mulching on the various settings (recently on the lowest), in damp as well as dry conditions, causes me to agree with their response. This is a good thing since 3/4 or more of those teeth are now broken off in my mower.

I figure another couple weeks of leaf fall up here in central WI and I can put the Twin Force in the basement for good. Then we can start putting gas in the snowblower.:eek:

1 Lucky Texan

First, to respond to the recent question -- no, I've gotten no "gimmies" from Greenworks either.

Second, I was being WAY too optimistic about those batteries. I posted this statement regarding less than desirable battery run times on the Greenworks Facebook page earlier this month.

"At this point, I'm thinking of buying one of the reconditioned ones [20" Twin Force] that are available on the web for around $312. I'd have my 2 extra batteries and another charger, an extra set of blades for when I bring in the other to get sharpened, and any other replacement parts I'll be needing in the future -- all shipped for only $6 and no tax (as I had to pay when I bought our new one from Lowes)."

I generally get from 13-15 minutes of run time from that smaller battery. Hardly worth leaning over, putting it in, turning it on, and doing what seems like less than 10% of my lawn before I have to be leaning over again followed by another trip to the charger. I can deal with the 25-35 minutes I get on the larger battery but I'd apparently have to pay as much or more for additional batteries as I paid for the original mower to do my lawn in one "push." This is so because the mower is narrower than my original Toro recycler and I generally have to go a bit slower in order to not make the Twin Force kick into high RPM mode AND so that it cuts effectively (since the blades have become rather dull after only three mowings). I signed up for email special offers on CPO Outlets and hope to get some $$ off of one of the reconditioned units they're selling for $312 (Free shipping now!). I'll wait for a deal before I pull the trigger. I hope having 2 chargers with 4 batteries will get our 13,000 sq.ft. mowed in one shot.

Third, if you check out Greenworks' reply to my first posting on that FB page in the link above, you'll note they respond that the comblike teeth on the bottom of the mower are not that essential to the effectiveness of the mower. My experience in cutting tall grass, mowing and mulching on the various settings (recently on the lowest), in damp as well as dry conditions, causes me to agree with their response. This is a good thing since 3/4 or more of those teeth are now broken off in my mower.

I figure another couple weeks of leaf fall up here in central WI and I can put the Twin Force in the basement for good. Then we can start putting gas in the snowblower.:eek:

thanx for posting - too bad about the batteries, but the news about the comb teeth seems to jibe with my experience. i MAY have 2-3 extra stragglers standing proud after I mow (all but 2-3 of the teeth are gone on the 'forward' section), but not a deal breaker.

B

BrandonG

Just wondering if there's any new info on this.

I have been seriously considering using the Twin Force or the 19" 3 in 1 (Both G-Max) for commercial purposes.

I'd need to be able to do 2 acres every day. This is 8 x 1/4 acres.

I'd need the 4Ah battery to last at least 45 minutes. I would need to have to use no more than 8 batteries, so I'm really hoping that under normal conditions, one of these mowers is going to be able to cut 1/4 acre on a single battery.

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on how long these Li-Ion batteries last, and I suppose a lot has to do with mowing conditions, but I'm really trying to get an average based on normal conditions with normally functioning batteries.

Also, Texan mentioned he/she was going to review the Hedge Trimmer from GW - how did that work out for you??

Thanks for the replies, and sorry to bring up an old thread but this is exactly what I was looking to read. Hoping for more info :tongue:

1 Lucky Texan

Just wondering if there's any new info on this.

I have been seriously considering using the Twin Force or the 19" 3 in 1 (Both G-Max) for commercial purposes.

I'd need to be able to do 2 acres every day. This is 8 x 1/4 acres.

I'd need the 4Ah battery to last at least 45 minutes. I would need to have to use no more than 8 batteries, so I'm really hoping that under normal conditions, one of these mowers is going to be able to cut 1/4 acre on a single battery.

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on how long these Li-Ion batteries last, and I suppose a lot has to do with mowing conditions, but I'm really trying to get an average based on normal conditions with normally functioning batteries.

Also, Texan mentioned he/she was going to review the Hedge Trimmer from GW - how did that work out for you??

Thanks for the replies, and sorry to bring up an old thread but this is exactly what I was looking to read. Hoping for more info :tongue:

I would think the cutting width would be the deal breaker for commercial use but, it all relates to time anyway. I think some folks are just getting bad batteries as well.

The hedge trimmer is nothing special. It works, positive side? it has a long blade. negative? to me, it seems to reciprocate slowly. I had to get a replacement - so, maybe the quality control is suffering? The first just hung-up and started smoking. But, no problem getting a replacement from Amazon and the new one worked fine.

B

BrandonG

You'd think that if they were serious about becoming a large company, that they would go to their supplier in China and say "Hey, look, we need our product to be a better quality or we're BOTH gonna lose business!"

Seems like the quality control is lacking, and with China it's mostly either hit or miss with a lot of products, especially innovative techs like this.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I think I may have found a cheap source of replacement blades for the Greenworks 20" dual-blade mower. Lowe's is now selling an identical version of this mower under their Kobalt house brand, and they have replacement blade sets for only $9.78. They also have a replacement for the 19" single blade mower for only $8.96.

Shop Kobalt 2-Pack 20-in Multipurpose Mower Blades at Lowes.com

Shop Kobalt 19-in Multipurpose Mower Blade at Lowes.com

B

BrandonG

Hmm.

Are you sure the blade are going to fit? Seems that they would make them slightly different for this reason.

I did find the blades on sale on some obscure website...lemme see if I can find it.

Greenworks Replacement Blade for Model 25302 (Standard Rotation) Part #33307486

They have both sides - one that spins clockwise and the other than spins counter-clockwise.

Also, I notice Lowes is selling the Twin Force (Under their Kobalt brand) for $40 more. You still get the 4ah and 2ah batteries, same as GreenWorks.

But they don't have replacement batteries listed for sale on their site.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Are you sure the blade are going to fit? Seems that they would make them slightly different for this reason.

Also, I notice Lowes is selling the Twin Force (Under their Kobalt brand) for $40 more. You still get the 4ah and 2ah batteries, same as GreenWorks.

But they don't have replacement batteries listed for sale on their site.

I'm pretty sure the mowers are identical and just re-branded with blue instead of green plastic. I'll find out soon enough when I buy the blades and try them out on my mower. As to the batteries, they had them shown previously and they look physically different, so I doubt they would fit. Lowe's initially sold the Greenworks mower for the same price as the Kobalt, but you can now buy them online from CPO Outlets for $40 less. Anyways, if you need to return the mower due to some defect, CPO Outlets makes you pay the return shipping cost, which can easily be $40, so in the end I would rather buy it from Lowe's in the store, where I can bring it back and get an instant full refund or replacement if necessary.

841821010751.jpg 841821010768.jpg

B

BrandonG

I didn't know that about CPO, thanks. I've been looking at their site.

About returning things, I guess it would make it difficult if I needed 2 mowers and 10 additional batteries.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I didn't know that about CPO, thanks. I've been looking at their site.

About returning things, I guess it would make it difficult if I needed 2 mowers and 10 additional batteries.

You'd probably want several additional chargers as well. Right now it looks like Lowe's has the smaller Kobalt 2 Ah battery and the charger in stock, but they still don't show the 4 Ah battery. No doubt they will show up shortly, since the mowers are already in stock at the local stores.

B

BrandonG

You'd probably want several additional chargers as well. Right now it looks like Lowe's has the smaller Kobalt 2 Ah battery and the charger in stock, but they still don't show the 4 Ah battery. No doubt they will show up shortly, since the mowers are already in stock at the local stores.

Do you think the warrany / return system would be better with Lowe's' Kobalt or with the GreenWorks?

I've found out the company who makes GreenWorks, is called Global Tools. They're based in China. I'm sure they're selling Lowes their mowers rebranded.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Do you think the warranty / return system would be better with Lowe's' Kobalt or with the GreenWorks?

Dealing with Lowe's will be much better than Greenworks. When I got a bad battery with my first Greenworks product, they would not just send me a replacement, and made me drive 30 miles to the nearest Greenworks dealer to get it "repaired." They just laughed at me and said they didn't repair batteries, but would order a replacement. I had to wait 3 weeks for the replacement and another 60 mile round trip to pick it up. Had this been Lowe's, I just would have driven 3 miles to my local store, where they would have given me a replacement or refund on the spot.

Also, the Greenworks warranty is 4 years on the tool and 2 years on the battery, whereas on the Kobalt it is 5 years on the tool and 3 years on the battery. It's written right on the Kobalt boxes. Since Kobalt is a Lowe's house brand, they will handle warranty claims for you without having to deal with the brand's parent company.

B

BrandonG

Dealing with Lowe's will be much better than Greenworks. When I got a bad battery with my first Greenworks product, they would not just send me a replacement, and made me drive 30 miles to the nearest Greenworks dealer to get it "repaired." They just laughed at me and said they didn't repair batteries, but would order a replacement. I had to wait 3 weeks for the replacement and another 60 mile round trip to pick it up. Had this been Lowe's, I just would have driven 3 miles to my local store, where they would have given me a replacement or refund on the spot.

Also, the Greenworks warranty is 4 years on the tool and 2 years on the battery, whereas on the Kobalt it is 5 years on the tool and 3 years on the battery. It's written right on the Kobalt boxes. Since Kobalt is a Lowe's house brand, they will handle warranty claims for you without having to deal with the brand's parent company.

That's great to hear.

Now, the warranty on GreenWorks is only 90 days for commercial. Does Lowes differentiate between commercial and residential use as far as warranty and returns go?

MowerMike

MowerMike

Now, the warranty on GreenWorks is only 90 days for commercial. Does Lowes differentiate between commercial and residential use as far as warranty and returns go?

I have no idea. You'd have to ask them. I use mine only for private residential work, and really don't know how they would stand up under heavy commercial use. One thing to consider is that the smaller 19" single blade model (17.5" blade) has a full steel metal deck and steel brackets connecting the handle to the deck, whereas it is all plastic on the 20" twin blade model (19" cutting path), so it may be more durable. It also offers a side discharge option and more height adjustment positions than the twin blade. You do lose 1-1/2" of cutting path, however. It also costs $50 less.

B

BrandonG

There are a few companies who use electric mowers, some using products less durable than this one, such as the Neuton. So I think it could work for smaller properties.

I just have to buy a bunch of batteries, along with a couple of mowers in case one goes down.

Lowes might also offer a 1 or 2 year protection plan. Ill have to look into it.

1 Lucky Texan

Even if the physical configuration isn't compatible, I'd bet the guts in a Kobalt battery could be moved into a Greenworks battery case.

Kobalt could be cheaper/more readily available.

Of course, one would want to be EXTREMELY cautious doing that. A short could cause severe injury.

I doubt I'd try unless the cost differential made it worth the hassle.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Even if the physical configuration isn't compatible, I'd bet the guts in a Kobalt battery could be moved into a Greenworks battery case.

Kobalt could be cheaper/more readily available.

Of course, one would want to be EXTREMELY cautious doing that. A short could cause severe injury.

I doubt I'd try unless the cost differential made it worth the hassle.

The wiring and circuitry could be totally different. I have both the original Greenworks 40V batteries and the new G-MAX ones. If I measure the voltage across terminals + and - on the G-MAX I get about 41.7 volts on a fully charged battery, but if I do this with the original battery I get zero volts ! No wonder Greenworks made sure you couldn't plug one of the old batteries into one of the new G-MAX tools.

As to pricing, I don't think there's much difference between the Kobalt and Greenworks branded batteries.

MowerMike

MowerMike

The Greenworks 20" Twin Force lawn mower is now being sold for only $349 at Lowe's online:

Shop Greenworks 40-Volt 20-in Cordless Electric Push Lawn Mower at Lowes.com

This is $11 less than online pricing from Amazon and CPO Outlets, and $50 less than the Kobalt branded version sold in Lowe's stores. The advantage of buying online from Lowe's is that in case of any initial problems, it can be returned directly to the nearest Lowe's store for a refund.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I think I may have found a cheap source of replacement blades for the Greenworks 20" dual-blade mower. Lowe's is now selling an identical version of this mower under their Kobalt house brand, and they have replacement blade sets for only $9.78. They also have a replacement for the 19" single blade mower for only $8.96.

Shop Kobalt 2-Pack 20-in Multipurpose Mower Blades at Lowes.com

Shop Kobalt 19-in Multipurpose Mower Blade at Lowes.com

Well, Lowe's has jacked up the prices on the blades, so there's no advantage in buying from them anymore. Besides, they have yet to show them in stock. They are definitely the same blades as sold for the Greenworks mowers, because the part numbers are identical. I've found various online sources for the Greenworks branded blades. A set (2) of 10" blades for the 20" twin blade mower cost about $24 including shipping, which is the same price I'd pay for the Kobalt branded blades if I bought them at my local Lowe's and paid state sales tax.

B

BrandonG

Well Lowe's seems to have just jacked up the price on the batteries on their Kobalt brand.

$149 for the 4ah. It used to be $114.
I doubt they will be selling anymore GreenWorks anything now.

CPO Outlets still wants $130 for the 4ah GW battery.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Well Lowe's seems to have just jacked up the price on the batteries on their Kobalt brand.

$149 for the 4ah. It used to be $114.
I doubt they will be selling anymore GreenWorks anything now.

CPO Outlets still wants $130 for the 4ah GW battery.

Yeah, that $114 price for the 4 Ah battery seemed too good to be true, given that it was only $15 more than the 2 Ah battery. I'm not surprised that it increased to $149, which is the MSRP for the GW 4 Ah battery.

B

BrandonG

Yeah, that $114 price for the 4 Ah battery seemed too good to be true, given that it was only $15 more than the 2 Ah battery. I'm not surprised that it increased to $149, which is the MSRP for the GW 4 Ah battery.

That's $35 extra per battery...that really sucks...because now instead of buying 2 mowers, I might only buy one.

H

hbktimf24

After a long winter of using a electric snowblower with great success here in Ohio, i decided to sell off all my gas powered lawn machines for greenworks machines, and this thread has helped me out a lot. I purchased the Twin Force Lawn Mower, a 16" GMAX 40v Chainsaw, GMAX 40V Cultivater, and the 24V LI-Ion weed wacker. They all get delivered in a couple days im pretty excited. I should have plenty of batteries since they all come with them. I hope They are all as good as everyone says....Thanks for the recommendation for the mower.

MowerMike

MowerMike

After a long winter of using a electric snowblower with great success here in Ohio, i decided to sell off all my gas powered lawn machines for greenworks machines, and this thread has helped me out a lot. I purchased the Twin Force Lawn Mower, a 16" GMAX 40v Chainsaw, GMAX 40V Cultivater, and the 24V LI-Ion weed wacker. They all get delivered in a couple days im pretty excited. I should have plenty of batteries since they all come with them.

I'm curious as to why you chose the 24V string trimmer (weed wacker), instead of saving money by buying the 40V GMAX string trimmer as a "tool only" w/o the battery/charger and using the GMAX battery from one of the other tools. Also, do you already have a leaf blower ?

http://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-21...d=1396191016&sr=1-2&keywords=greenworks+g-max

B

BrandonG

I'm curious as to why you chose the 24V string trimmer (weed wacker), instead of saving money by buying the 40V GMAX string trimmer as a "tool only" w/o the battery/charger and using the GMAX battery from one of the other tools. Also, do you already have a leaf blower ?

Amazon.com: GreenWorks 21242 G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Cordless String Trimmer with 4ah Li-Ion Battery and Charger Inc.: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Yeah, I don't think the 24V trimmer will be able to use the 40V Max batteries.

Also, it's not such a great deal to buy "tool only" when you can get it with the battery and charger for $150. The battery and charger alone are $150. It would make sense to buy two trimmers than to buy one and then buy an extra battery.

All the "MAX" tools will take both the 2ah and 4ah batteries.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Yeah, I don't think the 24V trimmer will be able to use the 40V Max batteries.

Also, it's not such a great deal to buy "tool only" when you can get it with the battery and charger for $150. The battery and charger alone are $150. It would make sense to buy two trimmers than to buy one and then buy an extra battery.

All the "MAX" tools will take both the 2ah and 4ah batteries.

The 24V and 40V batteries and chargers are definitely not interchangeable. Heck, even the Gen1 and Gen2 (GMAX) 40V batteries/chargers are not interchangeable. Given that the previous poster also bought the 20" mower, 16" chainsaw and cultivator with batteries and chargers, this would mean 3 40v GMAX chargers plus 3 40V 4 Ah GMAX batteries plus 1 40V 2 Ah GMAX battery that could be shared with a tool only 40V GMAX trimmer. It's very unlikely that all 4 tools will be in use at the same time, and what is the point of spending more money just to get a 4th charger and another 2 Ah battery ?

B

BrandonG

The 24V and 40V batteries and chargers are definitely not interchangeable. Heck, even the Gen1 and Gen2 (GMAX) 40V batteries/chargers are not interchangeable. Given that the previous poster also bought the 20" mower, 16" chainsaw and cultivator with batteries and chargers, this would mean 3 40v GMAX chargers plus 3 40V 4 Ah GMAX batteries plus 1 40V 2 Ah GMAX battery that could be shared with a tool only 40V GMAX trimmer. It's very unlikely that all 4 tools will be in use at the same time, and what is the point of spending more money just to get a 4th charger and another 2 Ah battery ?

Well say for example you might be using them in a small commercial setting. One would need more than a couple batteries to get through a typical day.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Well say for example you might be using them in a small commercial setting. One would need more than a couple batteries to get through a typical day.

Neither I nor the poster I was answering are using these tools commercially, so there's no need for us to have a bunch of extra batteries. I understand your perspective, but I think the vast majority of battery garden tools like these are used residentially. Also, none of these particular tools are warrantied for commercial use.

B

BrandonG

Neither I nor the poster I was answering are using these tools commercially, so there's no need for us to have a bunch of extra batteries. I understand your perspective, but I think the vast majority of battery garden tools like these are used residentially. Also, none of these particular tools are warrantied for commercial use.

The Lowe's "Kobalt" rebranded tools are warrantied for 5 years.

MowerMike

MowerMike

The Lowe's "Kobalt" rebranded tools are warrantied for 5 years.

That's for residential use.

H

hbktimf24

http://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-21...d=1396191016&sr=1-2&keywords=greenworks+g-max

Good point, and I really didn't notice you could buy them without the battery and charger. I'll be returning the trimmer for a 40v gmax trimmer tool only. Thanks for the heads up.

B

BrandonG

That's for residential use.

I read the warranty myself, didn't see anything that differentiated between residential and commercial.

Anyway, the normal warranty on their products, the one year, doesn't differentiate. I don't know if there's any difference between the normal warranty and the warranty they put on those Kobalt tools.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I read the warranty myself, didn't see anything that differentiated between residential and commercial.

Anyway, the normal warranty on their products, the one year, doesn't differentiate. I don't know if there's any difference between the normal warranty and the warranty they put on those Kobalt tools.

Go to a Lowe's store and ask them to show you the manuals for the display models. I'll bet it will include some text like "excludes commercial use".

G

GreenJeff

The Greenworks 20" Twin Force lawn mower is now being sold for only $349 at Lowe's online:

Shop Greenworks 40-Volt 20-in Cordless Electric Push Lawn Mower at Lowes.com

The advantage of buying online from Lowe's is that in case of any initial problems, it can be returned directly to the nearest Lowe's store for a refund.

Thanks for the tip. This is my first post here but I've been reading some of the threads and I'm happy to say I'll soon be a proud owner of a new Greenworks 20" Twin Force lawn mower purchased from Lowe's.

I got an excellent deal due to Amazon having a Gold Box Deal on these mowers today. So I went to Lowe's and they price-matched the deal plus beat it by 10% (per their price match policy). They also were having a promotion where if you signed up for a Lowe's CC you got 10% off your first purchase (that stacked nicely with the price-match deal). My cost after all was said and done: $247.27

The mower was actually out of stock so they contacted another store that had a few and its being shipped to my local store. They said it should be here in about a week, which will be just in time as the grass is starting to grow here in Michigan. My only dilemma was choosing between the 20" Twin Force and the 19" single blade mower. I thought it was kind of strange that Amazon had the 19" priced higher than the 20" but without being able to find any head-to-head comparisons between these two, I opted for the 20" Twin Force as it seems like it's the newer model and might be more powerful due to the twin blades. The metal deck on the 19" model certainly had me seriously considering it instead. Hope I went with the right model. Time will tell.

C

CorkyF

Just ordered mine Thursday from Amazon.It was a gold box deal and was on sale for $288, including shipping with Amazon prime. I also had a $30 reward points credit to use so that brought it down to $258, and with no sales tax (yet in Minnesota) on online orders I think I got a good deal. Time will tell, it will be arriving on Monday, I'll check it over for any damage, and considering I've got a big siding and window project going, I'll have to wait until that mess is cleaned up before I try it out. After several projects my yard shrunk somewhat so I think having a battery-powered mower will be doable. I've got my fingers crossed.:smile:

1 Lucky Texan

Kinda abused the mower recently in over-tall grass. It never bogged down, just an odd change in the sound. Flipped it on its side and had to pull mass amounts of grass packed in there - started overlapping more. Curiously, the area I mowed look decent but, probably wasn't packed-up for long.

I did use some Great Stuff to fill-in the 'cells' w'ever on the mulch plug. Now it can't fill up with cuttings.

R

rijola

FWIW, my last post was 10-28-13.

Bought a second 20" Twin Blade last November on a trip from WI to MS. Hard to find them in ANY Lowes stores back then. Used this second one for two grass cuttings and, when cleaning bottom side yesterday, noticed a 4-5" long crack in deck underside starting from the perimeter of the left hand motor base and extending upward to center of deck. My phone call to Greenworks seemed to be handled well, especially for a Saturday afternoon. Gave me the number of a local service center (THAT surprised me in our town of 20,000) and said I could bring it there (with proof of purchase) or they would send me a new deck. Not wanting to do all that extra work right now, I'll be bringing it to the service center. My only concern is that I can't find anyone who's ever done business with this outfit and the 2 reviews I found online don't look optimistic as far as their quality of service. We'll keep you posted on the outcome of this warranty service. Date of manufacture is 12/2012 -- 5 months earlier than the mower I bought three months before!

On my #1 Twin Blade (manufactured 5/2013), I noticed a thumb sized part of the deck that had broken nearly off on the rear, lower edge of the deck underside. You'll notice this area has some thinner construction than much of the rest of the edge perimeter. I'm going to try to rivet on some strap metal backing to brace this piece so that it stays on and doesn't break off completely. It likely caught one of our protruding roots when wifey was mowing last year. I can't see the blades generating enough force to through a rock through the area hard enough to break that piece the way it's situated.

Still not thrilled with the battery life but with two chargers now, and the 4 batteries that come with 2 mowers, I think we'll be OK. All 4 batteries fully charged were not enough to mow our 1/3 acre a few weeks ago but some of the grass was pretty tall and required the higher speed engine function when mowing. Next time I'll start with the smaller batteries, put them on the chargers as soon as they're discharged, and see if they'll be charged up enough to finish off the whole job without having to split the lawn mowing into two days. The gas mower (22") would usually allow us to mow the entire lawn in 90+ minutes. We've got 2 ditches, lots of trees/stumps/flower beds, etc., to mow around. Most of the area has a 50/50 forbs/grass coverage. (Some would call that weeds/grass!). Lots of shaded areas makes the lawn fairly thin in about 30% of the yard.

Back to work ....

R

rijola

Kinda abused the mower recently in over-tall grass. It never bogged down, just an odd change in the sound. Flipped it on its side and had to pull mass amounts of grass packed in there - started overlapping more. Curiously, the area I mowed look decent but, probably wasn't packed-up for long.

I did use some Great Stuff to fill-in the 'cells' w'ever on the mulch plug. Now it can't fill up with cuttings.

I'll be interested to hear how long that foam filler lasts, Lucky Texan. I've thought about doing something like that as well.

1 Lucky Texan

I'll be interested to hear how long that foam filler lasts, Lucky Texan. I've thought about doing something like that as well.

I'll try to report on that if it looks odd or at the end of the season regardless.

I Just squirted it in (slightly over half the cell's volume), let it cure, trimmed it back flush with a serrated knife.

man that stuff is crazy sticky.

1 Lucky Texan

been mowing some thick sticky grass lately. even partly packed with cuttings, the mower does as good a job as ever. When I clean the mess from under it, cuttings seem to be fairly well 'mulched' too.

Push a button, pull the bail and go. much more pleasant than gas.

1 Lucky Texan

anyone know the cutting height of the different height settings?

MowerMike

MowerMike

anyone know the cutting height of the different height settings?

Well, according to the manual, the range is from 1-3/8" (3.5cm) to 3-3/8" (8.5cm). Assuming that the increments are the same between settings, that would work out to 1-3/8", 1-7/8", 2-3/8", 2-7/8" and 3-3/8". Although I haven't tried to measure mine, that seems to be pretty accurate.

1932highboy

1932highboy

I just measured my mower and each movement of the lever moved it 0.5 inch, the above math is correct.

Jagstyles

I really wish the height adjustments were the same on the smaller 16" and 19" models. I have a very small front lawn (30 feet by 20 feet) and the 16" model would be perfect for this space. Unfortunately, I think the max cutting height is 2 3/4" if that.

Any other models out there that anyone has come across with similar features and max cutting height?

Thanks

R

rijola

FWIW, my last post was 10-28-13.

Bought a second 20" Twin Blade last November on a trip from WI to MS. Hard to find them in ANY Lowes stores back then. Used this second one for two grass cuttings and, when cleaning bottom side yesterday, noticed a 4-5" long crack in deck underside starting from the perimeter of the left hand motor base and extending upward to center of deck. My phone call to Greenworks seemed to be handled well, especially for a Saturday afternoon. Gave me the number of a local service center (THAT surprised me in our town of 20,000) and said I could bring it there (with proof of purchase) or they would send me a new deck. Not wanting to do all that extra work right now, I'll be bringing it to the service center. My only concern is that I can't find anyone who's ever done business with this outfit and the 2 reviews I found online don't look optimistic as far as their quality of service. We'll keep you posted on the outcome of this warranty service. Date of manufacture is 12/2012 -- 5 months earlier than the mower I bought three months before!

On my #1 Twin Blade (manufactured 5/2013), I noticed a thumb sized part of the deck that had broken nearly off on the rear, lower edge of the deck underside. You'll notice this area has some thinner construction than much of the rest of the edge perimeter. I'm going to try to rivet on some strap metal backing to brace this piece so that it stays on and doesn't break off completely. It likely caught one of our protruding roots when wifey was mowing last year. I can't see the blades generating enough force to through a rock through the area hard enough to break that piece the way it's situated.

Still not thrilled with the battery life but with two chargers now, and the 4 batteries that come with 2 mowers, I think we'll be OK. All 4 batteries fully charged were not enough to mow our 1/3 acre a few weeks ago but some of the grass was pretty tall and required the higher speed engine function when mowing. Next time I'll start with the smaller batteries, put them on the chargers as soon as they're discharged, and see if they'll be charged up enough to finish off the whole job without having to split the lawn mowing into two days. The gas mower (22") would usually allow us to mow the entire lawn in 90+ minutes. We've got 2 ditches, lots of trees/stumps/flower beds, etc., to mow around. Most of the area has a 50/50 forbs/grass coverage. (Some would call that weeds/grass!). Lots of shaded areas makes the lawn fairly thin in about 30% of the yard.

Back to work ....

OK, silly me .... as I was unloading our #2 Twin Blade at the repair shop, one of the servicemen was walking by and asked what was wrong with it. I showed him the crack (see above) and, about as he was starting to say it, I realized the 4-inch "crack" in the the mower deck was nothing more than a mold seam from the original manufacturing process. Man, there must have been some pretty low light by the time I cleaned that out and "noticed" that it was supposedly cracked.

Still haven't gotten around to fixing the torn/broken piece on the #1 mower but have collected a bit more data on the 4 batteries we have ...

We've been getting 13-17 minutes (ave=15) on each of the 73wH batteries and 28-35 (ave=33) minutes on the 146 wH's. Still not enough to get our whole lawn done, even when we start with the small ones and slap them into the chargers (after some cool down) while continuing to mow with the larger ones. I'd say if we had one more charger, we'd get the entire 1/3 acre done. (See above for lawn description.) Charging rate is fast enough on the small ones that one is charged and ready to go in 50+ minutes. The 146 wH's take around 65+ minutes to charge. Haven't noticed any difference in the batteries we used for 2 - 3 mowings last year versus the ones we just started using this year.

Anyone got a used, working charger they don't need?

gfp55

gfp55

My neighbor had his hip replaced and asked me to cut his grass while he heals. He has a greenworks 20" mower for trimming around shrubs, trees, house&deck, etc. Then use the garden tractor to cut the rest. I had never used one so I had to read the manual. Once I got the hang of it I was impressed. It starts fast then the blades slow down until it gets into taller grass and it speeds up until you get through the tall grass and slows down again. It was nice and light to push. It did a very good job, better them a thought it would. I first thought the batteries would run down before I finished, but it still had power when I finished trimming around 12-14 trees, around the house and deck, around the culvert etc. I cut more to see if I could run the batteries down. I got tired trying to run down the batteries. I was very impressed with it. I don't know if I would use it to cut a whole yard. It just might cut a good size yard, not to tall of grass but if you didn't let the grass get too tall it just might. I can't wait to use it again. I changed my mind about battery powered mowers thats for sure.

1 Lucky Texan

My neighbor had his hip replaced and asked me to cut his grass while he heals. He has a greenworks 20" mower for trimming around shrubs, trees, house&deck, etc. Then use the garden tractor to cut the rest. I had never used one so I had to read the manual. Once I got the hang of it I was impressed. It starts fast then the blades slow down until it gets into taller grass and it speeds up until you get through the tall grass and slows down again. It was nice and light to push. It did a very good job, better them a thought it would. I first thought the batteries would run down before I finished, but it still had power when I finished trimming around 12-14 trees, around the house and deck, around the culvert etc. I cut more to see if I could run the batteries down. I got tired trying to run down the batteries. I was very impressed with it. I don't know if I would use it to cut a whole yard. It just might cut a good size yard, not to tall of grass but if you didn't let the grass get too tall it just might. I can't wait to use it again. I changed my mind about battery powered mowers thats for sure.

My overall experience is similar. It's an 'adequate' replacement for my gasser. It isn't the Millenium falcon of mowers, just OK. It seems to leave 1 or 2 more 'stragglers', but, it might be mulching slightly better. The reduction in noise, weight, smell and hassle is great. I'm lucky in that my yard isn't huge - plus, my backyard grows at a different rate from my front yard such that I never really need all the battery power at once. When heavy growth season is here, the backyard requires a little more than one large battery to mow. The front yard never needs an entire charge of one large batt. So, I think I COULD mow them both on the same day - I just rarely need to.

1 Lucky Texan

I really wish the height adjustments were the same on the smaller 16" and 19" models. I have a very small front lawn (30 feet by 20 feet) and the 16" model would be perfect for this space. Unfortunately, I think the max cutting height is 2 3/4" if that.

Any other models out there that anyone has come across with similar features and max cutting height?

Thanks

could one of those mowers be fitted with larger wheels? You'd want to confirm there's no interference of course.

1 Lucky Texan

OH - thanx guys fro those measurement on the height!

1 Lucky Texan

all my 40V max GW stuff is still working well. I don't sense any degradation in the batteries.

I still notice a few extra 'stragglers' standing in the St. Augustine after i mow, but my old gas mower would leave a few too - just seems like it's 2-3 extra.

have sharpened the little blades many times but they are still original. despite hitting cypress knees, sticks and other debris on occasion, nothing seems bent or broken.

no real issue with the foam-filling in the mulch plug. That area still collects some trimmings, but they can't fill the 'waffles' inside the plug.

of the equipment I have, the string trimmer seems most likely to die first but, it's hanging in there!

just fyi

MowerMike

MowerMike

Thanks for the update. Similar experience here with two 4Ah and one 2Ah batteries. The 20" mower, blower / vac and 16" chainsaw are all in good working condition, although I've only used the chainsaw once so I can't comment on its durability. My only complaint with the mower is that its maximum cutting height of 3-3/8" is not quite high enough for the St. Augustine in summer.

1 Lucky Texan

after using setting 3 once or twice at the beginning of the season, I'm at notch 4 right now.

However, I may try 5 soon - lots of growth this year - due to rain as well as some fertilizer i used? (I don't use a lot of fertilizer or other treatments, every 2-3 years i may put some milorganite, wait 2-3 years then some ironite ,wait 2-3 years, then some epsom salts down. That is, there are some years I don't use anything. I 'may' use milorganite more often though, it seems to be doing great!)

I don't obsess over my lawn, just try to maintain it to neighborhood expectations.

1 Lucky Texan

MowerMike;210961My only complaint with the mower is that its maximum cutting height of 3-3/8" is not quite high enough for the St. Augustine in summer.[/QUOTE said:
it does look like there's clearance for larger wheels - not sure if it's worth the hassle/expense, but it's an option.

MowerMike

MowerMike

it does look like there's clearance for larger wheels - not sure if it's worth the hassle/expense, but it's an option.

It looks to me like it is pretty tight for the front left wheel. There is a housing mounting screw that is very close to the inside rear of that wheel.

R

rijola

My last post (#178) was a full year ago. Time for updates.... Remember, I own two of these mowers. The second TwinForce I bought (2 months after the first) actually had an earlier manufacture date. Turns out one of Greenworks' earliest version of these mowers (my 12/12 mfr date) had a flaw that I read about after this happened to me. Due some cheap design, if you push the "starter key" down onto the plug prongs where it belongs enough times it will eventually push down that whole "pocket" -- plug and connecting prongs -- right into the mower case. If you're smart when this happens, DON'T pull it out! Just leave it there, connected. Once you pull it out (like, to see what happened) there is no backing support to hold those prongs up so that you can plug the "key" back in. Of course, you can just wire those two prongs together to serve the same purpose as the plug but I figured, since this was under warranty, I'd get it fixed.

Long story short, "they don't make that part (?) anymore." My choice was to pass along some paperwork the authorized repair shop had to complete and either 1) get my money back or 2) get a new mower. I wanted a new mower since I desperately needed the second charger and two additional batteries to get my yard mowed in one afternoon. After the mowing season up here I went to the local Lowes last fall, dropped off the defective mower and brought home the newer version of that TwinForce. Alas, as I think has been discussed on this thread, the batteries and charger were NOT compatible anymore with the earlier version of Greenworks 40V TwinForce. They LOOK very similar but prongs and slots do not line up for interchanging. Headed back for the half hour drive to return the new replacement and got my money back. Found a relatively decent priced deal on the same model last December and ordered it online from Target, of all places.

Don't know if anyone on this site has done any comparing between these original Greenworks TwinForce models and the newer Cobalt(?) Greenworks models that Lowes is now (was?) selllng but I rather liked some of the slight changes i observed for the week I "owned" the replacement from Lowes. At this time I simply can't recall what those details were. Our newest (Target) replacement pretty much just sits in our basement while we use its charger and batteries for running the original one. It's also nice to have the second set of blades so that we can get the others sharpened at our leisure instead of between mowings.

We're still getting similar run and battery charge times as those I posted earlier in the thread. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

[ALMOST FORGOT .... I just noticed that, on page 25 of EACH of these Owners Manuals, the written description -- and the arrow in the diagram -- show the WRONG direction to turn each bolt in order to remove each of the cutting blades. On the back of each manual it lists the revision date as being 11-15-12. Hopefully, someone fixed that in subsequent editions. The correct direction to turn would be the opposite of what is indicated. Forgive me if that has already been stated in this thread.]

1 Lucky Texan

mower and batteries still OK so far this season - I will say, I do have a cut/split on the side of the deck of the mower - not sure how I did that. But it doesn't interfere with anything - I may put some tape on it or patch it with some gorilla glue and thin plastic of some type... maybe from a cat litter bucket or ???? Still running the original blades but I may order a new set this year.

0 issues with the batteries. I THOUGHT there was a problem with the charger - but "rebooting" it with an un-plug/re-plug maneuver fixed it.

the other 40v tools are also still working. The string trimmer may need going over with the Torx tool - feels like it may be loosening up slightly.

L

lawnmowingdude

I am really loving the new Greenworks 20" twin blade mower. I would definitely want to use it in my lawn. But I am a little bit confused to see a twin blade in a 20" mower.

1 Lucky Texan

I am really loving the new Greenworks 20" twin blade mower. I would definitely want to use it in my lawn. But I am a little bit confused to see a twin blade in a 20" mower.

well, there are single blade electrics if you look past just the Greenworks brand. (and even they offer a smaller single blade cordless IIRC)

This is not like those old Sears/w'ever twin blade corded electrics - the bushings would wear out in 2 seasons on those.

This has 2 motors, offset and slightly overlapping. It is load-sensing too so, it boosts power when in thicker/taller grass.

Investigate the Lowes Kobalt line. That may be what I'd get now.

keep in mind though - deck width is NOT the same as cutting path - electrics seem to ALL mislead on that.

L

lawnmowingdude

well, there are single blade electrics if you look past just the Greenworks brand. (and even they offer a smaller single blade cordless IIRC)

This is not like those old Sears/w'ever twin blade corded electrics - the bushings would wear out in 2 seasons on those.

This has 2 motors, offset and slightly overlapping. It is load-sensing too so, it boosts power when in thicker/taller grass.

Investigate the Lowes Kobalt line. That may be what I'd get now.

keep in mind though - deck width is NOT the same as cutting path - electrics seem to ALL mislead on that.

Thanks a lot for the detailed information. You made me totally clear about mower. I must appreciate it. Even I haven't find such explanation in other buying guides.

1 Lucky Texan

Thanks a lot for the detailed information. You made me totally clear about mower. I must appreciate it. Even I haven't find such explanation in other buying guides.

doesn't seem like I offered much - but you're welcome.

if you are shopping for a cordless electric mower, in addition to asking about a unit here on the Forum, - try to find Amazon or similar reviews (Home Depot and Lowes also frequently have user reviews of products they carry.)

you can also frequently find videos of the products being used on Youtube and sometimes advertising-related videos of mowers at the manufacturers' websites. Those certainly will be biased, but, any features and specifications listed could be helpful.

1 Lucky Texan

The only issues this season; the uncut straggler issue seems worse. Easy enough to swing the mower sideways on a subsequent pass but, doesn't get every blade. To reiterate, every plastic 'tooth' under the mower has broken off and, I'm cutting at level 5 or 4 . I have bought a second set of blades and sharpen and swap every 3-4-5 uses. I haven't experimented with adding any kind of 'skirt to the sides of the deck to see of 'vacuum'/lift from the blades could be improved. A skirt could just reinforce bending blades over like the wheels do so....

The other issue is the little green membrane over the battery charge test button - it has become brittle and is cracked/split on 2 of the 3 batteries I have. minor issue really.

Otherwise, everything is working as well as past seasons. blower, string and hedge trimmers, batteries, ...all OK.

B

Bwells

Wow, this is an old thread!
Mowermike, how are the batteries doing and have you replaced them yet? If so how much were they?

MowerMike

MowerMike

Wow, this is an old thread!
Mowermike, how are the batteries doing and have you replaced them yet? If so how much were they?

The original batteries are still soldiering on and getting used in other tools as well. In fact, I have several other G-MAX batteries and have not had problems with any of them. From what I have seen, the 4 Ah battery is currently in short supply and very expensive.

1 Lucky Texan

My twinforce must have noticed I added a 21" mower to the fleet and now, it won't start.

To be fair, I knew this was coming as I have had to play games with the cable for intermittent no-start.

I think someone mentioned T27 torx screws to disassemble the mower? any pic or videos of getting the top off? I plan to try bending the bracket at the switch.

bonus report; I have yet to have a battery go bad. (other than the test button cover plastic being cracked)

MowerMike

MowerMike

My twinforce must have noticed I added a 21" mower to the fleet and now, it won't start.

To be fair, I knew this was coming as I have had to play games with the cable for intermittent no-start.

I think someone mentioned T27 torx screws to disassemble the mower? any pic or videos of getting the top off? I plan to try bending the bracket at the switch.

bonus report; I have yet to have a battery go bad. (other than the test button cover plastic being cracked)

First off, they are T20, not T27 screws. There are eight of them, and you will need a long T-handle driver to remove the deeply recessed screws at the front of the housing. You will also need to remove the height adjustment handle, which is held in place by two small phillips flat head screws. After that you need to pry the housing cover off the base to expose all the internals. Bending the cable bracket may or may not fix the problem as I found out, since in my case the culprit was a faulty switch. When I opened mine, I found several mud wasp nests and spider webs.

1 Lucky Texan

yep, you're right, it was a T20 - I managed to fix it a few hours ago.

here's basically what I did;

confirm there's NO BATTERY in the mower and remove the red key.

front pair of screws are deep as mentioned, and I had to spray debris out of those holes to seat the T wrench. The 2 screws at the rear, behind the battery compartments, also are the only ones that had washers so, if anyone does this, watch for those.. 4 more, 2 on each side. None of the screws were very tight. And, yeah, the height adj. knob needs to come off. One thing to watch during re-assembly, there's one 'tab' i THINK on the left side near the rear, that goes into a slot. You will also need to guide the front of the cover straight down on the side of the black front of the mower. The cover sorta 'keys' into the side of the front base.

There's enough slack to position the cover to the side. I did however disconnect and reconnect every connector I could find, just to re-wipe each pin. Thinking to just improve conductance after the 6-7 years of ownership.

Unlike some of the other models, the bracket holding the cable sheath seems fairly stout and is mounted independently on its own plastic boss/mounting area. I didn't want to try to bend it. While there could be 2-3 adequate ways to fix the problem, I pulled the switch plunger out and used a scribe slipped behind the plunger to hold it out, then unhooked the spring that is on the end of the cable. I unclipped the cable from it's bracket to have some slack to move around. I bent the next coil on the spring up, cut off the original hook and half the next coil,(I had to do it awkwardly with a hack saw, a Dremel would probably be best but, be careful) , then I had a new hook on the end of a now-shorter spring. I hooked it back on, tested it and it seemed to reliably 'click' the switch plunger out. It did not before. I used medium/small blade screwdrivers, small locking pliers, slipjoint pliers, needlenose pliers I think...wasn't really 'easy' to bend the spring up, but not 'crazy hard' either.

I lubed a few points I could reach, cleaned a little under there, reassembled, tested it with a battery - seems good to go!

MowerMike

MowerMike

It’s deja vu all over again

So, today I inserted a charged battery in the left battery compartment, and the mower would not start. Moved the battery to the right compartment, and it started right up. So, I’m back to the same problem I had several years ago when I first changed the circuit board and then the switch. I’m done monkeying with it, and am definitely not spending any more money on it. It still works, and I can carry a spare battery in the dead compartment, so I don’t have walk back to the house to fetch another battery when the first one is depleted. None of the newer Greenworks mowers with a spare battery compartment have this auto switchover feature anyway, so perhaps they figured out that it wasn’t worth the extra cost. Anyways, this is no longer my primary mower, having been superseded by my 60 volt Greenworks mower.

1 Lucky Texan

My TF has been 'mohawking' lately. I thought my wife was maybe rushing it through, or the 'mulch plug' was drooping, or there was an issue with taller bermuda....I tried it and it is definitely the mower. Looked underneath and more sections of the plastic deck have broken/worn away. I have decided to retire it. I am gonna get a 17" for my wife to use. It is also plastic-decked and lightweight. perhaps more maneuverable - not sure if it has a brushless motor????

Mike, if I get a chance, I may pull some parts out of the mower. problem is, we are in the middle of major remodeling and 90% of my stuff (including tools) is packed away. If you're interested in the control board or other parts, maybe they would be available for cost of shipping. Might not get them to you in time for this summer's season......

MowerMike

MowerMike

My TF has been 'mohawking' lately. I thought my wife was maybe rushing it through, or the 'mulch plug' was drooping, or there was an issue with taller bermuda....I tried it and it is definitely the mower. Looked underneath and more sections of the plastic deck have broken/worn away. I have decided to retire it. I am gonna get a 17" for my wife to use. It is also plastic-decked and lightweight. perhaps more maneuverable - not sure if it has a brushless motor????

Mike, if I get a chance, I may pull some parts out of the mower. problem is, we are in the middle of major remodeling and 90% of my stuff (including tools) is packed away. If you're interested in the control board or other parts, maybe they would be available for cost of shipping. Might not get them to you in time for this summer's season......

Sorry to hear that your Twin Force is falling apart, but I'd definitely recommend that you do NOT buy the 17" model. It is positively awful in so many ways. The height adjustment system is a nightmare, very difficult to use and it's maximum adjustment height is only 3-1/8", which is 1/4" less than the twin force. Yes, I know that Greenworks claims the the maximum cutting height is 3-3/8", but they are incorrect. And no, it does not have a brushless motor. Mine is very poor quality and flimsy. The front left wheel was bent inwards almost hitting the deck, and I had to completely remove the front axle to bend it back in my bench vise. There was a bad vibration that I could even feel in the handlebar and it is almost as loud as a gas mower. I haven't even used mine for several years, and am seriously thinking about just throwing it away to free up garage space.

Frankly, the quality of the newer Greenworks plastic deck mowers is much lower than the original models. You might be better off buying the older 16" model, which is still available although not as tool only.

As to my twin force, I really don't use it any more, favoring my 60 volt 21" Greenworks push mower, which cuts much better than the twin force with it's heavy duty blade and faster blade tip speed. I just bought a new Greenworks 60 volt 8 Ah battery that can easily mow my entire yard with the mower running 100% of the time in turbo mode. I use my old first generation Greenworks 40 volt 16" mower to vacuum leaves in the fall and winter, and use the little 13" WORX to mow in landscaped areas that are inaccessible to my larger mowers. This spring I discarded two old 24 volt SLA battery mowers and gave a third small one to neighbor for his 4-1/2 year old son to help daddy mow the lawn. So, thanks for the offer on the parts from your Twin Force, but I really don't have any need for them.

1 Lucky Texan

Hm, thanx, was JUST barely able to cancel the order from Amazon, good price too.

What is the lightest weight steel deck in GW 40V ? Got any experience with the 60V poly-deck 17" mower? I have the 60V system for the edger.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Hm, thanx, was JUST barely able to cancel the order from Amazon, good price too.

What is the lightest weight steel deck in GW 40V ? Got any experience with the 60V poly-deck 17" mower? I have the 60V system for the edger.
I have the GW 40V 19" steel deck mower with a brushless motor and it weighs 46 lbs, which is 3.5 lbs heavier than the TF. The blade is actually only 17.5" long, so the cutting path is 1.5" less than the TF. Disadvantages of this model is that only the top portion of the handlebar folds flat, so it takes up more space in the garage and the rear wheels are spaced wider apart than the deck, so you can't mow as close to walls, fences etc. The quality, however is top notch and it has a nice single lever height adjustment system. You can buy it right now through Amazon for $250 tool only.

As to the GW 60V 17", it appears to be the exact same POS as the 40V 17" model with just a different motor, and it too is NOT brushless. They even have the same incorrect maximum height adjustment listed; see one of the questions on the greenworkstools website, which I posted to point this out. Unfortunately, Greenworks has polluted their 60V lineup with some cheap crap, which I guess is to attract people looking for inexpensive tools.

Edit - It looks like you can get the GW 40V 19" mower tool only from Walmart for just $174.99.

1 Lucky Texan

the Pro 60v !7" has some differences in appearance from the 40V 17" - dunno if it matters if they share the same shoddy 'undercarriage'

1627248554306.png

1627248666017.png

MowerMike

MowerMike

It has the same crappy height adjustment system. There is no lever like on other models. Instead you have to push down on a button which has a very stiff spring, which at the same time lifting the mower to select the height. There is a crude position indicator (see little red post) that is supposed to align with markings to determine the height position, except the label with the markings was put on incorrectly, and the settings don't correspond to the markings. The handle is open mesh at the bottom and I actually cut my hand the first time I grabbed it when trying to lift the mower.

Anyways, I don't recommend it. Why don't you get the 19" mower that I recommended ?

1 Lucky Texan

Just for kicks, looked for a price on TF deck-only part. No longer available.

I'm gonna camecamelcamel a price on the 16" you suggested earlier.

Thanks a lot for your insight.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I'm gonna camecamelcamel a price on the 16" you suggested earlier.

Again, Walmart has the best price on this mower:

Just FYI, the Walmart listing is incorrect on the cutting height range. Those are the values for the first generation mower, and the second generation G-MAX mower range is 1-1/4" to 3-3/8".

MowerMike

MowerMike

Amazon has now dropped their price on the Greenworks 16" mower to match Walmart at $238.

1 Lucky Texan

found what appears to be a lightly used 16" on ebay. Just over 115$ delivered.Probably last us until we need to hire the yard done lol! no battery, but has a charger (don't really need another charger...)

1 Lucky Texan

well, good news is, mower seems lightly used except for needing the blade sharpened. Even the charger I got seems to be a newer design so, a little upgrade there.

Bad news, missing the mulch plug. Seller is going to refund me for purchasing the part, but, no one has it. I ordered one from M and D but, they say it will be delayed.....as long as it gets here before grass is tall, should be all right.

ugh, I asked several questions, just not about that plug.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Bad news, missing the mulch plug. Seller is going to refund me for purchasing the part, but, no one has it. I ordered one from M and D but, they say it will be delayed.....as long as it gets here before grass is tall, should be all right.

Did you try greenworks.ordertree.com ? I have the first generation 16" mower that uses the first generation 40 volt battery, but I think the deck is the same as the second generation that uses the G-MAX battery. The part number for the mulch plug is 34104470, and when I enter it into the search it shows up as temporarily out of stock with a price of $6. This is slightly cheaper than M&D, which has it priced at $7.80, although I'm not sure how the shipping costs compare. You might get it faster through Greenworks than M&D, though. Just a thought.