Neighborhood boy looking to expand

Bacon8r

Threads
Hey you guys. I am just a teenager but I have a real good business going in my neighborhood. I have a Honda HRR 21 in self propelled lawnmower and a small echo backpack blower (25 cc). I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of trimmer I should get, and what kind of commercial walk behind I should get probably in the next year or so. I am looking for something that's reliable, good cut quality and cheaper and probably a 36 inch. Fixed deck or floating and gear or hydro drive?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...
For trimmers echo is tough to beat,...
BUT more important, get something you can afford, It may not last you years but it will give you something to work with...

Watch for auctions, and Used equipment sales for "Good" commercial walk or standon riders... there are always business that go out because they expanded faster than they should have OR many other reasons... If you watch for good used mowers (not necessarily from used mower shops) you will find some great deals on otherwise unaffordable equipment...
Take your time and you will become familiar with well built easy to service mowers.. :smile:KennyV

C&R Lawn Care

Threads
Wellcome to the site my friend.

My crew uses echo and shindawa trimmers. And love them both.

Echo two years old and the shindawa is 6 years olds.

For a w.b I would have to say a floating deck alot of my customers request different cuts and diffenitly a hydro but like the other poster buy what u can afford.

Craftsman13

Threads
Stihl makes very good, reliable, and durable trimmers. I would recomend them.

Parkmower

Threads
Stihl fs55 string trimmer is $199 and will last.
I Definately recommend a straight shaft trimmer.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stihl fs55 string trimmer is $199 and will last.
I Definately recommend a straight shaft trimmer.

The Stihl fs55 is a good trimmer without a doubt but if I were going into the business I would not buy something for the Occasional user. I'd step up to at least the fs70 in the Professional Series, it's only $79.00 more.

Parkmower

Threads
Ric said:
The Stihl fs55 is a good trimmer without a doubt but if I were going into the business I would not buy something for the Occasional user. I'd step up to at least the fs70 in the Professional Series, it's only $79.00 more.

We use fs 55's all summer. They prob see 20 hrs a week. And hold up fine except for the heads get pretty beat up. IMO they are professional.

Parkmower

Threads
And when your a teenager $79 is a lot more money.

Bacon8r

Threads
Thanks you guys. I was sort of looking at the still fs90r because it had plenty of power if someone wanted me to cut the real thick stuff. Is that a good idea, and where can I get it for cheap or used? Also is a 26 in walk behind a good idea or something like a 32 or 36 in. Would a 48 be worth it at all? Thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks you guys. I was sort of looking at the still fs90r because it had plenty of power if someone wanted me to cut the real thick stuff. Is that a good idea, and where can I get it for cheap or used? Also is a 26 in walk behind a good idea or something like a 32 or 36 in. Would a 48 be worth it at all? Thanks

I run the fs90r It has a solid, straight drive shaft and will work with a variety of there cutting attachments, also run the 110r and it will cut anything.
IMO the 36 in. WB is ideal because it's big enough to do the job and easily handled yet there's no problem with back yard gates and smaller yards. :thumbsup: