Export thread

Neighborhood boy looking to expand

B

Bacon8r

Hey you guys. I am just a teenager but I have a real good business going in my neighborhood. I have a Honda HRR 21 in self propelled lawnmower and a small echo backpack blower (25 cc). I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of trimmer I should get, and what kind of commercial walk behind I should get probably in the next year or so. I am looking for something that's reliable, good cut quality and cheaper and probably a 36 inch. Fixed deck or floating and gear or hydro drive?

K

KennyV

Welcome to LMF...
For trimmers echo is tough to beat,...
BUT more important, get something you can afford, It may not last you years but it will give you something to work with...

Watch for auctions, and Used equipment sales for "Good" commercial walk or standon riders... there are always business that go out because they expanded faster than they should have OR many other reasons... If you watch for good used mowers (not necessarily from used mower shops) you will find some great deals on otherwise unaffordable equipment...
Take your time and you will become familiar with well built easy to service mowers.. :smile:KennyV

C

C&R Lawn Care

Wellcome to the site my friend.

My crew uses echo and shindawa trimmers. And love them both.

Echo two years old and the shindawa is 6 years olds.

For a w.b I would have to say a floating deck alot of my customers request different cuts and diffenitly a hydro but like the other poster buy what u can afford.

Craftsman13

Craftsman13

Stihl makes very good, reliable, and durable trimmers. I would recomend them.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Stihl fs55 string trimmer is $199 and will last.
I Definately recommend a straight shaft trimmer.

Ric

Ric

Stihl fs55 string trimmer is $199 and will last.
I Definately recommend a straight shaft trimmer.

The Stihl fs55 is a good trimmer without a doubt but if I were going into the business I would not buy something for the Occasional user. I'd step up to at least the fs70 in the Professional Series, it's only $79.00 more.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Ric said:
The Stihl fs55 is a good trimmer without a doubt but if I were going into the business I would not buy something for the Occasional user. I'd step up to at least the fs70 in the Professional Series, it's only $79.00 more.

We use fs 55's all summer. They prob see 20 hrs a week. And hold up fine except for the heads get pretty beat up. IMO they are professional.

Parkmower

Parkmower

And when your a teenager $79 is a lot more money.

B

Bacon8r

Thanks you guys. I was sort of looking at the still fs90r because it had plenty of power if someone wanted me to cut the real thick stuff. Is that a good idea, and where can I get it for cheap or used? Also is a 26 in walk behind a good idea or something like a 32 or 36 in. Would a 48 be worth it at all? Thanks

Ric

Ric

Thanks you guys. I was sort of looking at the still fs90r because it had plenty of power if someone wanted me to cut the real thick stuff. Is that a good idea, and where can I get it for cheap or used? Also is a 26 in walk behind a good idea or something like a 32 or 36 in. Would a 48 be worth it at all? Thanks

I run the fs90r It has a solid, straight drive shaft and will work with a variety of there cutting attachments, also run the 110r and it will cut anything.
IMO the 36 in. WB is ideal because it's big enough to do the job and easily handled yet there's no problem with back yard gates and smaller yards. :thumbsup:

Craftsman13

Craftsman13

I would suggest buying a mower new because you really don't know what you're getting from ebay or craigslist. Yes it has a picture but unless you can go see it in person, you just don't know. If you are looking to expand your buissness as far as getting a bigger and better mower, I think you should get a 32 or 36 inch deck. If you have a 48 inch deck you may not be able to get through a fence gate or inbetween tight spaces. To me hydro drive vs. geared doesn't mean alot. I don't know the exact difference but I think hydro is like automatic. Try and get the best quality mower that you look like and fits inside your budget.:smile:

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

I am also a teen and I have an Echo back pack blower, trimmer, and edger that are great! I also have a 36" Dixon walk behind mower and I love using it because it gets a lot mowed fast! I bought it all on Craigslist and it was just a few years old with not to much use. I got it all for around $1,350 which is really a great price! If you buy off of Craigslist just make sure it's good stuff you are buying, low hours and nothing broken... Good luck!