Export thread

Mow Faster

lizard

lizard

We are currently mowing at 4.2 Miles Per Hour?

K

KennyV

Hello lizard from australia... good to see you are mowing at a good clip...

I can sometimes do a little over 6 MPH but it starts getting a bit rough riding... :smile:KennyV

PS... welcome to Lawn mower Forum....:thumbsup:

lizard

lizard

With this mower it is self propelled a reel mower 28 inches....and you walk or run depending on how you feel...........lol:laughing:

adan

adan

Hi Lizard, 4.2 mph isn't my idea of mowing, unless I'm on a ride-on mower perhaps. On the second thought, jogging while mowing isn't a bad idea at all.

173abn

173abn

howdy Lizard,sounds like some good exercise. russ

A

AndyMan

So, what have you done, rigged your lawn mowers with speedometers? Or do you have your kids ride alongside on their bikes to test your speed?

Plus, going at such a clip, I'm assuming you have a fairly fast, fairly flat, fairly long yard? I can't imagine getting an even cutting if you're two-wheeling it around the corners!:rolleyes:

lizard

lizard

The Reel Mower weighs 270 lbs and has a split roller, full differential for high speed cornering.
Cutting Lawn at 1/4 of a inch height........looks like a golf green when finished mowing:biggrin:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

The Reel Mower weighs 270 lbs and has a split roller, full differential for high speed cornering.
Cutting Lawn at 1/4 of a inch height........looks like a golf green when finished mowing:biggrin:

How wide is the cut?
Consider that a brisk walk is 3.5 mph. You're not talking kph, it's mph right?
So you are pushing 270 lbs at 4.2 mph, how far can you do that?

lizard

lizard

How wide is the cut?
Consider that a brisk walk is 3.5 mph. You're not talking kph, it's mph right?
So you are pushing 270 lbs at 4.2 mph, how far can you do that?

Yes we aren talking miles per hour and it cuts 28 inches wide and has a 9 Horsepower Honda engine which pulls you along.....up to 5 miles per hour.

K

KennyV

.... it cuts 28 inches wide and has a 9 Horsepower Honda engine which pulls you along.....up to 5 miles per hour.

Sounds like a great powered reel mower... can you post a picture of it?
I especially like reels, but there are not many powered reels commonly around, here in the states... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Sounds like a great powered reel mower... can you post a picture of it?
I especially like reels, but there are not many powered reels commonly around, here in the states... :smile:KennyV

These mowers cost around 6,000 Dollars Australian and are the ultimate mower , it cuts like a giant pair of 'Scissors'.........need a scanner to post a pic:cool:

K

KennyV

it cuts like a giant pair of 'Scissors'....

Thats the best part about a reel...

How difficult is the resharpening ?? :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Sharpening the bottom blade costs $20 and the reel can be reversed so thats reely good......but costs $50 to get sharpened......very good spring steel..............lasts a long time.:smile:

K

KennyV

Sounds like a well engineered machine... What make is it?
How many blades on the reel?

I have a commercial gang set made by Toro, towed with a tractor, the bed knifes are reversible , giving two edges on each... but the reels are not, ... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Sounds like a well engineered machine... What make is it?
How many blades on the reel?

I have a commercial gang set made by Toro, towed with a tractor, the bed knifes are reversible , giving two edges on each... but the reels are not, ... :smile:KennyV

We have 'Toro' in Australia.........they are very good quality products.
Well you need to have a airconditioned tractor or what have you there?

K

KennyV

you need to have a airconditioned tractor or what have you there?

It's got A/C and stereo... see attached pic..

My appologies to those that have already seen this picture, I need to take new ones... :smile:KennyuV

Attachments

lizard

lizard

It's got A/C and stereo... see attached pic..

My appologies to those that have already seen this picture, I need to take new ones... :smile:KennyuV

That is a real neat set up, how good is that......luxury and no sunburn.....lol:laughing:

K

KennyV

Ha ...
Just noticed the time... It's 4:30 AM here... have to quit and get some sleep...
Keep mowing FAST.... good night, :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Ha ...
Just noticed the time... It's 4:30 AM here... have to quit and get some sleep...
Keep mowing FAST.... good night, :smile:KennyV

Well its 5.30Pm.......in Perth.............mow till you drop.........lol
Good to be fast.......beats being Slow:biggrin:

K

KennyV

Well its 5.30Pm.......in Perth.............mow till you drop.........lol
Good to be fast.......beats being Slow:biggrin:

I see...
Your so fast you are almost a half a day ahead of me....
I'll never catch up. :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Mowing up to 20 lawns per day.....thats why you need a fast mowing speed......a old rotary 18 inch cut takes twice as long and makes a poor job in comparison to a 28 inch reel mower.
Yes we will always be ahead in Australia......different time zone.:laughing:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I've noticed most lawn care professionals use large (36" to 48") walk-behind mowers. I wouldn't mind having one of those for my farm. There are many slopes that would be dangerous on a riding mower.

The farm has maybe three acres of grass and cutting it takes at least three or four hours with a regular push mower (21"). I do walk briskly and it's a pretty good workout. On uneven areas I get a bit of an upper body workout handling the mower -- cross-training!

lizard

lizard

You would need a 36 inch cut reel mower and is self propelled with a 13 horse power Honda.
This would save you a lot of sweat and time........LOl:laughing:

K

KennyV

You would need a 36 inch cut reel mower and is self propelled with a 13 horse power Honda.

Reel mowers are not common in the states... Most folks have never seen that type mower... It's too bad because they give a superior cut. I would like to see them make a come back... But the rotary blade type has definitely dominated the mower market for decades...
The powered walk behind are from small around 20 inch single blade to large 60 inch 3 blade systems... I have an 84 inch rear mount 3 blade finish mower... It does a very good job but requires more power to operate than the towed gang set of reel mowers that cut around 10 foot swath...
BUT the rotary blade sets allow you to easily cut tall grasses and weeds that the reels have trouble with.. :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

In Australia in the West of Australia........professional contractors mowing household lawns use Reel Mowers but they are between 4000 to 6000 dollars.
Private home owners just own a Rotary mower which you can buy brand new from $200.Have seen American movies that have Reel mowers.......why have they disappeared?:laughing:

dusty-t

dusty-t

As Kenny said they are not that good in long grass. That could be one reason not too many people use them . In Canada a lot of them are used on golf courses. Do a great job but you cut twice a week in summer.:biggrin: Dusty

lizard

lizard

As Kenny said they are not that good in long grass. That could be one reason not too many people use them . In Canada a lot of them are used on golf courses. Do a great job but you cut twice a week in summer.:biggrin: Dusty

These Reel Mowers can mow grass up to 2 inches high.........but most lawn get cut every fortnight at 10mm to 19 mm or1/4 to 3/4 of a inch...
They do look as good as a golf course when you have finished cutting.:cool:

K

KennyV

A lot of the grasses here are cut 2, 3 or 4 inches tall especially in later summer...
hardly any cut at less than 3 inch... :smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

.but most lawn get cut every fortnight at 10mm to 19 mm or1/4 to 3/4 of a inch...

During the spring and early summer I will have cut 3 or 4 times in 14 days...
It grows FAST and thick...:smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

During the spring and early summer I will have cut 3 or 4 times in 14 days...
It grows FAST and thick...:smile:KennyV

Well I think i will get your grass to come to Australia........that is great.
What do people get their grass cut 52 times a year or what is the go?:thumbsup:

K

KennyV

Most grasses are going dormant around this time of year... and do not come back until spring...

I am going to have one more cutting before I switch my mower deck to a snow blower... I try to wait as long as I can, hate to think that winter is already this close...

late Spring will see mowing every 4 days or so, early summer it starts slowing down to once every 6 to 7 days...
mid summer depending on weather it again might slow a bit to every 10 days ... Late summer 10 days to 2 wks, mowed a little longer to keep the ground shaded ... fall comes around too soon and it eventually gets 2wks plus... and then its snow time... for some places LOTS of snow... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Most grasses are going dormant around this time of year... and do not come back until spring...

I am going to have one more cutting before I switch my mower deck to a snow blower... I try to wait as long as I can, hate to think that winter is already this close...

late Spring will see mowing every 4 days or so, early summer it starts slowing down to once every 6 to 7 days...
mid summer depending on weather it again might slow a bit to every 10 days ... Late summer 10 days to 2 wks, mowed a little longer to keep the ground shaded ... fall comes around too soon and it eventually gets 2wks plus... and then its snow time... for some places LOTS of snow... :smile:KennyV

So how many times a year would you cut the grass in the same area ..like I cut the same area 20 times a year?:smile:

K

KennyV

So how many times a year would you cut the grass in the same area

around 30...
starting first of April and ending in the fall with less grass but lots of leaves to mulch up so it could be 32... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

You must love it, to be doing it so much.......but you do have a nice tractor.:biggrin:

K

KennyV

You must love it, to be doing it so much.......but you do have a nice tractor.:biggrin:

Love mowing... LONG ago I thought of lawn mowing as work...

Don't know exactly when I quit thinking of it that way... but it MAY have happened when I got better equipment to do it IN...

My lawn mower also has a cab... it is a Kubota 4 cylinder diesel powered commercial ZTR with a 72 inch deck out front ... fast, clean, insect free and quiet... Love it, thats what I mount my snow blower on for winter... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Do you make serious money, like I make $600 per day......average around $80 per hour for Lawn mowing in Australia.:smile:

K

KennyV

I only mow my own lawn and land, I do my neighbors place occasionally but not for hire.
I am fortunate to have serious good equipment to do it with...

:smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Sounds like a dream come true, but I use to have a Broad acre farm.......its easy in Big tractors to get things done real quick.:wink:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

In Australia in the West of Australia........professional contractors mowing household lawns use Reel Mowers but they are between 4000 to 6000 dollars.
Private home owners just own a Rotary mower which you can buy brand new from $200.Have seen American movies that have Reel mowers.......why have they disappeared?:laughing:

I think reel mowers lost popularity because the blades are so difficult/expensive to keep sharp. I had one once and couldn't figure out how to sharpen it myself and didn't want to pay to take it somewhere. The one great thing back then (I was about 14) was that, with a horizontal drive shaft, the motor could be used on a go-kart.:thumbsup:

The big walk-behind mowers that the pros use here probably cost over $4000.

K

KennyV

I think reel mowers lost popularity because the blades are so difficult/expensive to keep sharp. I had one once and couldn't figure out how to sharpen it myself and didn't want to pay to take it somewhere. The one great thing back then (I was about 14) was that, with a horizontal drive shaft, the motor could be used on a go-kart.:thumbsup:

The big walk-behind mowers that the pros use here probably cost over $4000.

The newer reels are a lot easier to sharpen... they redalily come out of the carrage frame and can be quickly and accurately turned on a common lathe..
much easier than the older systems...

Your right Two-Stroke, Horizontal shafts are a lot easier to work with...:thumbsup:

Well over $4000 for the walk behinds... very quick and last thousands of hours...

To be fair my ZTR is actually in the Industrial class, and If I would have had to pay list price for it... I would never have been able to justify getting it... but it is a monster mower and will operate a lot of different quick change attachments... It is WAY more machine than I should have just to do my own mowing... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Most lawns in Western Australia only grow to a height of 1/2 a inch and is then cut a 1/3 off that.
In metric terms 13mm will be cut back to 10mm.....growth of lawn over 2 weeks in summer.
Winter is 4 to 6 weeks and some varieties are dormant longer than 6 weeks.:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

It's interesting that you cut below 1/2 inch of growth. Here in the SE USA none of the grasses used (with the possible exception of specialized varieties for putting greens) can be cut that short. I guess that's why you use a different mower (reel).

Lizard, you're just getting into your big mowing season - spring in the Southern Hemisphere. It's a gorgeous fall day here.

lizard

lizard

It is Spring in Australia.......and everyone is mowing lawns........growth is amazing.....all sorts Tractor ride on mowers , Rotaries and Reel mowers.
Lawns here look like Golf courses.........and are high maintenance.:thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Yeah, rub it in Lizard, you're going into spring and us Northern Hemisphere folks are getting into fall. But, I'll tell you what, it's a beautiful fall here in Georgia/Alabama. And it's just getting started.

I wish you would post from photos from Western Australia.

It's not a matter of getting a scanner but a digital camera -- you need one of those anyway.:biggrin:

lizard

lizard

Mowing at high speed today.....nearly running behind the mower.....sliding out on the corners, was getting carried away.........so slowed down to 4.2 Mph.....all good 20 lawns mowed today:thumbsup:

lizard

lizard

Why mow slow when you can get a wider faster machine........and have more relax time.
Commercial mowers are the fastest and last forever if you are a residential person.:wink:

K

KennyV

get a wider faster machine........and have more relax time.

Thats true ... But mowing is how I relax... I really do enjoy mowing... I will have to wait till spring to be back to completely relaxed... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

When you do it as a profession(Mowing)........you need to keep up the speed to make some Dollars, then you can relax after all that easy work!:thumbsup:

lizard

lizard

You mow Faster because you are pulled along regardless......love self Propelled lawn mowers.....great exercise........what a life!:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

You mow Faster because you are pulled along regardless......love self Propelled lawn mowers.....great exercise........what a life!:cool:

But don't you get more exercise if you have to push? I realize that with big, wide, walk-behind mowers (one of which may be in my future) you really have to go self-propelled.

My favorite mower is my two-stroke Lawn Boy -- not self-propelled, but very light and powerful. It has sufficient power to go through thick grass while I push at a brisk pace.

lizard

lizard

Try pushing a mower for three hours without a break........the self propelled forces you to keep up with it as it is doing 4.2 Mph.......a brisk pace.......try it then decide!:eek:

M

Manny

Are you really doing a decent job on the lawn when you go too fast? I mean, I know you want to be done quick, but you want to make sure it looks good when you are done.

adan

adan

When you do it as a profession(Mowing)........you need to keep up the speed to make some Dollars, then you can relax after all that easy work!:thumbsup:

Now it makes sense why you like 4.2mph. I'd like it too, I think, if I were in your shoes :)

But for home use, I find that 4.2mph defeats the purpose of the "ritual" or so you may call it. It's like communion and conversing with nature. I am not inclined to do that in a hurry :)

lizard

lizard

With a 'Reel' mower you can tow them behind a tractor.....usually a gang of them cutting 10 feet wide at 8 miles per hour.......doing like a football oval.
But with my mower it weighs 270 Lbs and the cut is very precise cutting at 3/8 of an inch height.
Even at 5 miles per hour the job is perfect......but 4.2 miles per hour is fast enough for me.:eek:

lizard

lizard

Time is money.......so the faster you can go the more money you make............so then you can have more Leisure time.......everyone wants speed.........but as along as it is safe.:licking:

K

KennyV

Actually a reel mower mows best at speed. ... I can pull my gang set at a very fast clip... they shoot a solid spray of grass clippings high into the air. :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Actually a reel mower mows best at speed. ... I can pull my gang set at a very fast clip... they shoot a solid spray of grass clippings high into the air. :smile:KennyV

And are you Speeding Kenny.........what speed is your maximum?:eek:

K

KennyV

IN the areas that I have rolled and smoothed for years and years... I can kick it way up ... I do it to see the shower of grass... fescue really puts a lot of green in the air... I am sure I would not want to continue at 10 MPH + as it can not be good for the reel gears ...

My tractor top speed is around 16 - 18 MPH would never do that to the Toro mowers... They are built very stout and heavy but...

lizard

lizard

IN the areas that I have rolled and smoothed for years and years... I can kick it way up ... I do it to see the shower of grass... fescue really puts a lot of green in the air... I am sure I would not want to continue at 10 MPH + as it can not be good for the reel gears ...

My tractor top speed is around 16 - 18 MPH would never do that to the Toro mowers... They are built very stout and heavy but...

Your reel speed gets more 2,500 Rpm , they could get out of balance and cause serious or life threatening damage.
Your tractor engine would explode the same way if you let it get to a extreme high speed!:ashamed:

K

KennyV

Have not checked the gear ratio of the reel, but I do know they really sing when you tow fast... thats the reason I have not tried to go much faster... The tractor has plenty of HP to over power the gang set...

I only give them a quick burst when finishing up a patch, I don't stress them for any length of time... it's an old set... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Have not checked the gear ratio of the reel, but I do know they really sing when you tow fast... thats the reason I have not tried to go much faster... The tractor has plenty of HP to over power the gang set...

I only give them a quick burst when finishing up a patch, I don't stress them for any length of time... it's an old set... :smile:KennyV[/QUOTE
That quick burst could cause the reel to explode since they may be metal fatigued.......you do not want a reel blade to break off and come through your Air-conditioned cab.......do you!:eek:

K

KennyV

I'm sure your right ... It could happen...

lizard

lizard

I'm sure your right ... It could happen...

You know the old saying.'It will never Happen'...........why do you have Insurance?
There has been a accident in Australia where a blade broke off and killed a woman.......the man who was driving it .....committed Suicide.He got really depressed......this only happened less than 6 months ago.
Do you ever check the Reel for Cracks or if you hit some foreign object.......you may not hear it as you have a Aircon Cab!:eek:

lizard

lizard

Mowing at speed is good on the straights, but the corners are a drama......sliding sideways and leaving burn marks.....lol:biggrin:

lizard

lizard

Lets face it no one wants to mow slow........the only place where you need to mow so slow is on a Bowling green, so you cut every blade of grass.
Look at golf courses.....they get mowed everyday in Western Australia, the turf is cut on the greens at 1/8 of an inch.
Reason is the golf ball must roll nicely along ..less restrictions on a firm cut surface!:licking:

lizard

lizard

In Western Australia the average lawn takes 15 minutes to mow,edge, brushcut and airbroom.......not bad if you have the right equipment.........so sad if you do not.:eek:

lizard

lizard

The 9 horse power Honda Gx 270.........is now running at 4,000Rpm......will see if it thows a rod....sounds good though.........lol:eek:

K

KennyV

The 9 horse power Honda Gx 270.........is now running at 4,000Rpm......will see if it thows a rod....sounds good though.........lol:eek:

It's governed RPM is 3900 so an extra 100 should be insignificant as to it's life...
Honda GX Series Engines - GX270 - Specifications - Honda.com

lizard

lizard

It's governed RPM is 3900 so an extra 100 should be insignificant as to it's life...
Honda GX Series Engines - GX270 - Specifications - Honda.com

They say they go good before they blow up......but your right 100RPM is not going to hurt......maybe I should run it at 4,500 RPM......just tweak the governor........via stronger spring...........see what happens!:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I've got the same series engine on my Billy Goat brush mower: a Honda GXV340.

Billy-1.jpg

The Billy Goat is to toughest machine I've got in terms of the workout I get when I use it. It goes into areas where I can't go with my tractor and it always seems like a wrestling match -- and it out-weighs me by about 100 pounds.

lizard

lizard

I've got the same series engine on my Billy Goat brush mower: a Honda GXV340.

Billy-1.jpg

The Billy Goat is to toughest machine I've got in terms of the workout I get when I use it. It goes into areas where I can't go with my tractor and it always seems like a wrestling match -- and it out-weighs me by about 100 pounds.

That is a mean machine and 13 Horse power.....would cut anything in its path......nice to know you can go anywhere:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The Billy Goat has good power and a reduction gear so the blade spins much slower -> lots of torque. It's also only about 24 inches wide. It can go through dense brush including saplings up to about one inch.

lizard

lizard

The Billy Goat has good power and a reduction gear so the blade spins much slower -> lots of torque. It's also only about 24 inches wide. It can go through dense brush including saplings up to about one inch.

This type of machine will last nearly forever.......just a Brute.......but reliable which you need these days......no headaches!:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

This type of machine will last nearly forever.......just a Brute.......but reliable which you need these days......no headaches!:cool:

I don't put that many hours on it so it probably will last a long time. It has two drive belts that will need to be replaced from time to time: blade and differential (wheels).

Did you notice that it has only two wheels and skids on the front?

It is quite a beast.

lizard

lizard

I don't put that many hours on it so it probably will last a long time. It has two drive belts that will need to be replaced from time to time: blade and differential (wheels).

Did you notice that it has only two wheels and skids on the front?

It is quite a beast.

They have something similiar to what you have but it uses Whippersnipper cord instead of a Blade.
They call it a Bush Pig..........good for Feral yard Clean ups!:frown:

adan

adan

With a 'Reel' mower you can tow them behind a tractor.....usually a gang of them cutting 10 feet wide at 8 miles per hour.......doing like a football oval.
But with my mower it weighs 270 Lbs and the cut is very precise cutting at 3/8 of an inch height.
Even at 5 miles per hour the job is perfect......but 4.2 miles per hour is fast enough for me.:eek:

Hmmmm. So you actually tow the 'reel' mower after all, is that right? I had this impression earlier that you actually ran behind it to push it :) I thought it would be pretty rough pushing a reel mower the whole day at 4.2mph :laughing:

K

KennyV

Hmmmm. So you actually tow the 'reel' mower after all, is that right? I had this impression earlier that you actually ran behind it to push it

Hello adan...
actually I think his mower is one like these, see attached picture.
You can either attach a sulky or run behind it... very quick ... but self propelled.
lizard would have to be superman:wink: to push a big reel at 4.2 mph... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

lizard

lizard

Hello adan...
You can either attach a sulky or run behind it... very quick ... but self propelled.
lizard would have to be superman:wink: to push a big reel at 4.2 mph... :smile:KennyV

Kenny you have found my mower:smile:
I do not have the towing seat........i just get pulled along at high speed.
As you can see they do a beautiful cut......much like a pair of scissors.......lol:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Hello adan...

Thanks for locating a photo of lizard's mower. I was very curious about it and am still surprised at the idea of a 28" cut lawnmower that weighs 127kg.:eek:

I'm still curious about why grass is cut so close (1/2 inch) in Western Australia. Surely you must have to water it almost every day.

lizard

lizard

Thanks for locating a photo of lizard's mower. I was very curious about it and am still surprised at the idea of a 28" cut lawnmower that weighs 127kg.:eek:

I'm still curious about why grass is cut so close (1/2 inch) in Western Australia. Surely you must have to water it almost every day.

The lawns are cut very low down to 6mm(1/4 inch).........mainly 10mm only in Western Australia.
The lawns are very fine turf and normally water once a week in Spring for 30 minutes per station.
In Summer the watering is twice a week for 30 minutes per station.
Lawns survive and are green as they are tough little bliters.:eek:

lizard

lizard

The Dwyer Felton is a heavy duty reel mower and is made for life.....that is why it costs $6,000 and weighs 127 Kgs.:cool::thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

That is an interesting machine. I can see how it could get a little hairy on the corners.

You probably know this but you can probably download an owner's manual and a parts manual for your engine for free from Honda. I found both manuals for my GXV340.

lizard

lizard

That is an interesting machine. I can see how it could get a little hairy on the corners.

You probably know this but you can probably download an owner's manual and a parts manual for your engine for free from Honda. I found both manuals for my GXV340.

The mower has a Split roller and has a full differential.....so it corners well just pull back on the handle to take pressure off front roller and it is great!:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

My Billy Goat brush mower (pictured in an earlier post) has a differential but I wish it had limited slip as later models of the same mower are equipped. It gets stuck and can be a bear to get unstuck.:frown:

lizard

lizard

My Billy Goat brush mower (pictured in an earlier post) has a differential but I wish it had limited slip as later models of the same mower are equipped. It gets stuck and can be a bear to get unstuck.:frown:

Just bite the bullet and lock the differential up....then you will have a drama turning......just have to persevere if you get bogged.:laughing:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Just bite the bullet and lock the differential up....then you will have a drama turning......just have to persevere if you get bogged.:laughing:

Having it locked totally would pose other problems. As it is now I can look forward to a good workout -- particularly my upper body -- whenever I use it.

lizard

lizard

Having it locked totally would pose other problems. As it is now I can look forward to a good workout -- particularly my upper body -- whenever I use it.

Lawn mowing is the best exercise you can get and is enjoyable to see the end product when finished mowing.:cool:

K

KennyV

enjoyable to see the end product when finished mowing.:cool:

lizard...
I have to see a close up of that grass... What type grass is it? :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

lizard...
I have to see a close up of that grass... What type grass is it? :smile:KennyV

The Grass in the picture is 'Santa Ana Couch'.........these are mowed down to 3mm......but in residential in Perth it will normally be between 7-12mm depending on the customer.:confused2::eek:

K

KennyV

The Grass in the picture is 'Santa Ana Couch'...

WOW that looks INCREDIBLE...
Couch Grass - Sydney -John Smiths Turf
Nice grass . :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

WOW that looks INCREDIBLE...
Couch Grass - Sydney -John Smiths Turf
Nice grass . :smile:KennyV

They are so smooth......only Reel mowers can be allowed.......they are the best looking lawns in the World.
A Rotary mower can never achieve this type of cut......but most people use rotaries in Australia.:confused2:

lizard

lizard

You know your Honda loves to have full choke to start when cold........if you can start it without choke in halve way position......the filter is blocked.
They run fairly lean so you expect to use a full choke when Cold!:rolleyes:

K

KennyV

You know your Honda loves to have full choke to start when cold........if you can start it without choke in halve way position......the filter is blocked.
They run fairly lean so you expect to use a full choke when Cold!:rolleyes:

Thats right ...
And that is why you should pay attention to little details like that:thumbsup:... It allows you to know what is not quite right and let you do something about it before you damage your rings by washing the cylinder walls with too rich a mixture...

When something is different or out of the ordinary it bears looking into... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Thats right ...
And that is why you should pay attention to little details like that:thumbsup:... It allows you to know what is not quite right and let you do something about it before you damage your rings by washing the cylinder walls with too rich a mixture...

When something is different or out of the ordinary it bears looking into... :smile:KennyV

Trouble with unleaded fuels you cannot tell how the engine is running as the exhaust is always black.
With leade you could tell how lean or rich the mixture was from the exhaust colour.......light grey was good and white was too lean.:eek:

K

KennyV

That was true... But in the larger cities they were listing smog days that it was unsafe to go out doors... and actually recommended everyone stay inside... Just where dose the inside air come from... ?
I do remember it was bad ... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

That was true... But in the larger cities they were listing smog days that it was unsafe to go out doors... and actually recommended everyone stay inside... Just where dose the inside air come from... ?
I do remember it was bad ... :smile:KennyV

Well you need to live away from smog......best to live in the Bush.
You are right ......how would it be any better inside.....the air would not be any better or worse.
Water is needed to flush the toxins out of your body..........but lead accumulates.......oh well
thats life will die of something......as long as it not a mowing accident.:eek:

K

KennyV

I have mostly preferred life in the country... but I like having a city within a reasonable drive...
Unfortunately the city has moved into where I live .. and I am not so happy with living here....

lizard

lizard

I have mostly preferred life in the country... but I like having a city within a reasonable drive...
Unfortunately the city has moved into where I live .. and I am not so happy with living here....

Well how long have you been where you are to become nearly a city person?
I know its called the Urban Crawl........in Australia........you have too move further away......or suffer like a City person.
You lose a lot of freedom when this happens.........maybe its time to sell and move?:confused2:

K

KennyV

...maybe its time to sell and move?:confused2:

could be....

lizard

lizard

could be....

Nice to see if it is worth doing as you would want to be in front financially....or why bother moving....as it would be a huge chapter in your life.
If you did think of buying something........would yoy want more acres or infrastructure?:eek:

K

KennyV

I've been undecided for a few years now... ? don't really know... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

I've been undecided for a few years now... ? don't really know... :smile:KennyV

Well you only live once......why not have a sea change.......but only down the road.....why not.....just do it .
Procrastination is the thief of time!
Have a good life and weigh up the benefits.
I would seriously think of selling up and moving to greener pastures!:cool:

lizard

lizard

They have now bought out Reel mowers that can cut grass up to 60mm, this was not the case before as they could only cut at a maximum height of 20mm.
Check out the Mowmaster website to see it, this is the address: Mow Master - Welcome to the NEW Mow Master Website! :cool:

lizard

lizard

Only in Western Australia all professional contractors use a 'Reel' mower........the rest of Australia uses rotaries or walk behind slashers(professionals).
So what do Professionals use in America?:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Only in Western Australia all professional contractors use a 'Reel' mower........the rest of Australia uses rotaries or walk behind slashers(professionals).
So what do Professionals use in America?:eek:

Most of the professional crews I see have at least one truck and a trailer with an assortment of tools: big walk-behind mowers, smaller push mowers for getting into tight spots, string trimmers, leaf blowers, edgers, hedge trimmers, vacuums etc.

For really big jobs they might have a tractor with a gang of trailing finish mowers (rotary).

I only see reel mowers used on golf courses where a very close cut is required.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

They have now bought out Reel mowers that can cut grass up to 60mm, this was not the case before as they could only cut at a maximum height of 20mm.
Check out the Mowmaster website to see it, this is the address: Mow Master - Welcome to the NEW Mow Master Website! :cool:

Thanks for that link, lizard. I particularly enjoyed the "About Us" section. I'm curious about the uniquely West Australian habit of mowing very closely -- which means specialty equipment is needed. Why do West Australians mow that way?

lizard

lizard

Thanks for that link, lizard. I particularly enjoyed the "About Us" section. I'm curious about the uniquely West Australian habit of mowing very closely -- which means specialty equipment is needed. Why do West Australians mow that way?

The lawn varieties in western Australia are mowed at heights between 7mm to 14mm....they all look like a Bowling green when finished mowing.
Reel mowers can mow as low as 2mm........and now the new types can do up to 60mm heigh.
People in Perth are fussy with their lawns.....some even get them mowed weekly in summer.
I have 'Sir Walter Turf'........they recommend mowing heights of 20mm to 60 mm.............but we mow them at 10mm in the West.
They like it and survive quite well........as long as you water and fertilise them as well too.:confused2:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

So I guess it's just consumer preference -- people in Perth are "fussy". The lawns do look good cut like that.

You mentioned cutting once a week -- in the spring through early summer here in the Southeastern USA, you almost have to cut once a week if the lawn gets full sun and it's been raining (which is usually the case). If you let it go it not only looks bad but is a pain to cut.

lizard

lizard

So I guess it's just consumer preference -- people in Perth are "fussy". The lawns do look good cut like that.

You mentioned cutting once a week -- in the spring through early summer here in the Southeastern USA, you almost have to cut once a week if the lawn gets full sun and it's been raining (which is usually the case). If you let it go it not only looks bad but is a pain to cut.

The Beauty of 'Sir Walter Turf'.......it is basically dormant from late April to early October........then it just grows like wild fire.......from the sublime to the ridiculous.
If you have a look at 'Google Maps'......you can have a look at Perth Lawns in Western Australia.
But the pic with the 2 mowers in my 'Atavar'......is fairly general of the lawn finish these mowers do.
'Santa Ana Turf'......is a really good one to mow so low......2mm in height.
The 'Desperate Housewives' show.......they have some nice lawns.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The Beauty of 'Sir Walter Turf'.......it is basically dormant from late April to early October........then it just grows like wild fire.......from the sublime to the rediculous.
If you have a look at 'Google Maps'......you can have a look at Perth Lawns in Western Australia.
But the pic with the 2 mowers in my 'Atavar'......is fairly general of the lawn finish these mowers do.
'Santa Ana Turf'......is a really good one to mow so low......2mm in height.
The 'Desperate Housewives' show.......they have some nice lawns.:eek:

Most of the grass here is dormant from now (the equivalent of your late April) until our spring. I still have some mowing to do -- the weeds seem to grow 365 days a year.

lizard

lizard

Most of the grass here is dormant from now (the equivalent of your late April) until our spring. I still have some mowing to do -- the weeds seem to grow 365 days a year.

Spray the weeds with a herbicide.........you need a selective herbicide, need to know what weed types you have.......then you can have nice turf...........Hate Weeds with a vengance!:mad:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Spray the weeds with a herbicide.........you need a selective herbicide, need to know what weed types you have.......then you can have nice turf...........Hate Weeds with a vengance!:mad:

I'm sure that you're right about the best way to get rid of weeds.

However, I don't really hate them. If I cut the lawn a little on the high side, the weeds don't look bad -- unless you look closely.

Bottom line: for my purposes, it's not worth the time and expense to make the lawn perfect, as opposed to pretty good (pretty good by my standards -- which is different from West Australian standards:biggrin:).

lizard

lizard

When you cut a lawn frequently so the weeds do not go to seed, is the best way to control weeds naturally, as a healthy lawn will stop weeds in their tracks.
Weeds thrive with less water.........so try to water your lawn.:confused2:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

When you cut a lawn frequently so the weeds do not go to seed, is the best way to control weeds naturally, as a healthy lawn will stop weeds in their tracks.
Weeds thrive with less water.........so try to water your lawn.:confused2:

I do cut the grass frequently... because it's fun and great exercise to mow.:smile:

It's hard to explain but a lot of the grass that I have is beyond the reach of hoses -- those areas have to fend for themselves.

lizard

lizard

I do cut the grass frequently... because it's fun and great exercise to mow.:smile:

It's hard to explain but a lot of the grass that I have is beyond the reach of hoses -- those areas have to fend for themselves.

In Australia.....in Western Australia.....in Perth.........90% of home owners have reticulation...even on some larger areas up to 10 acres.......but they are on 'Bore'........as the water bill would be a few hundred dollars a week.
Water costs around 90 cents per 1,000 litres in Perth........so it is not to bad for domestic customers.:wink:

K

KennyV

I'm sure that you're right about the best way to get rid of weeds.

However, I don't really hate them. If I cut the lawn a little on the high side, the weeds don't look bad -- unless you look closely.

Hey if it were not for weeds in some of the places I mow ... it would be bare earth...
If it's green and mowed my pasture even looks GREAT and I know there are weeds in it... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Hey if it were not for weeds in some of the places I mow ... it would be bare earth...
If it's green and mowed my pasture even looks GREAT and I know there are weeds in it... :smile:KennyV

What type of weeds are they?
Some weeds you have a legal responsiblity to make sure that government authorities know about them.
Severe fines can result in you walking off your Farm.........if you hide a declared weed!:eek:

K

KennyV

...if you hide a declared weed!:eek:

Don't hide any ... I mow everything ... except trees, but I get some of the smaller ones of them. :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

Don't hide any ... I mow everything ... except trees, but I get some of the smaller ones of them. :smile:KennyV

A farmer was harvesting his Wheat crop and it was infested with 'skeleton weed'......he may have been cutting the straw down really low perhaps a few inches.....to hide things.
He was dobbed in by a employee.......the result was not good .......whole of 'Farm' quarantined for 5 years.Farmer went broke and had to pay huge compensation.
So the moral of the story is you must declare your weeds if they are on the hit list!:confused2::eek::frown:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

A farmer was harvesting his Wheat crop and it was infested with 'skeleton weed'......he may have been cutting the straw down really low perhaps a few inches.....to hide things.
He was dobbed in by a employee.......the result was not good .......whole of 'Farm' quarantined for 5 years.Farmer went broke and had to pay huge compensation.
So the moral of the story is you must declare your weeds if they are on the hit list!:confused2::eek::frown:

As far as I know there aren't "declared" weeds in the US.

I'm also a little unclear about what you're saying. Are you saying that: (a) the weeds are a protected species and you aren't allowed to destroy them; OR (b) the weeds are very undesirable for some reason (non-native, invasive, destructive) and it's illegal to have them on your land, lest they spread.

K

KennyV

don't have that around here...

lizard

lizard

don't have that around here...

Australia has strong E.P.A laws..........even on a 10,000 acre farm you cannot let oil go into the ground....you have to drain your dirty oil into containers.
Even if a diesel tank leaks you are in big trouble if they find out.
Big Brother is out there in Australia and make no mistake......they will prosecute you.........big time.
Some offences like the ones mentioned can cost you $250,000.00.........they are really nasty.
The Taxation Department........has 'Paul.Hogan'...........owing 150 million dollars.......Australia is tough on people if they become to big for their boots!:eek:

K

KennyV

EPA in most cases is rather lax or beaten back by special interests... everyone, all countries should be VERY strict on it... after all we are sharing this environment...

If its lead or sulfur in fuels or noxious weed control ... it will eventually effect you or someone you care about... It's just easier to be short sighted and figure it will be better to wait until it is more affordable, or after everyone else is doing their share... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

EPA in most cases is rather lax or beaten back by special interests... everyone, all countries should be VERY strict on it... after all we are sharing this environment...

If its lead or sulfur in fuels or noxious weed control ... it will eventually effect you or someone you care about... It's just easier to be short sighted and figure it will be better to wait until it is more affordable, or after everyone else is doing their share... :smile:KennyV

Caring is sharing........and people should show respect towards the enviroment....as we are all on the same Planet!
People are far to selfish for the Dollar.saved.......thats how people are today........they think of today but not the Future.....as they do not care.:confused2:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Question for lizard: are the "declared" weeds in Australia regulated because they're harmful or are the some kind of protected species?

In the US, I don't think the government uses the term "declared" so I don't quite follow your comments.

K

KennyV

True but I think that more are coming on board to the real need ...

BUT hey we are getting too far away from the start of your thread here....
MOW FASTER...
I finally got the 15 foot bat wing mower delivered to my sisters place ... Now they can mow faster... :biggrin::biggrin:

lizard

lizard

Good hear people are getting wider are achieving faster times in finishing the job.
The quarantine laws in Australia are the toughest in the World so you need to be informed or suffer the consequences.
Love my Reel mower.......lots of speed and cornering.......less stress........lol:eek:

K

KennyV

The quarantine laws in Australia are the toughest in the World so you need to be informed or suffer the consequences.

We do have (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) USDA APHIS Plant Protection and Quarantine, if there were something harmful in a grain crop it would be isolated and not allowed to contaminate other grain, same with livestock...
But it sounds like you have a very aggressive consequence legal system in place there in Australia ...
We have a Invasive and Noxious Weeds department within the FDA and each state has its own addition through the Dept of AG..
Invasive and Noxious Weeds | USDA PLANTS

It is rare that you hear about anything... usually you don't know about it unless your really involved in farming. You can get into legal litigation if your reckless, but your system sounds more so... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

I mow faster in Spring than Winter.......as it being wet the grass it is harder to cut......I normally tighten the bottom blade so it has zero clearance, just touching metal to metal.......as the water lubricates the blades and keeps cool.
Never run the 'Reel' with no load as this will damage the cutting blade.......material must pass through to it cool.:cool:

lizard

lizard

You can mow faster if you have a nice lawn........so get a variety that grows low........and go for it and be happy......as now there are lawns that you can sleep on.:biggrin:

lizard

lizard

If you can mow your lawn in under 15 minutes..........then you will be as Happy as can be.......beats becoming a chore and a Headache.
Speed is what you need if your are in a Hurry1:eek:

lizard

lizard

Mowing at high speeds is a good work out........getting some nice sunshine.....34C today.....but warming up to 36C on Wednesday..........How wonderfull:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

It was a nice weekend here as well -- about 75F and sunny. I didn't do any mowing -- for the second weekend in a row. It must be fall. I have been doing a lot of firewood processing: cutting, splitting, and stacking.

Do you have Halloween in Australia?

lizard

lizard

It was a nice weekend here as well -- about 75F and sunny. I didn't do any mowing -- for the second weekend in a row. It must be fall. I have been doing a lot of firewood processing: cutting, splitting, and stacking.

Do you have Halloween in Australia?

Yes we have Halloween.......gave some Kids a Treat.........Lollies..........no tricks.
Yeah we are so american in australia.........thats a big ten 4 good buddy.
Keep the chainsaw going to cut that wood...........love chainsaws..........2 Stroke........yes!:eek::biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Yeah, my chainsaws are my top year-round outdoor tools. I never worry about draining and storing them because they get used just about every week.

I will do some mowing next weekend but it's nice to see the grass slow down a little after a long season.

lizard

lizard

The more I mow the Better.......love that outdoor feeling ..........fresh air and sunshine......what else could you want?:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The more I mow the Better.......love that outdoor feeling ..........fresh air and sunshine......what else could you want?:biggrin:

Can't argue with that. I'm just substituting wood processing for mowing during the off season.

It's funny but the grass that gets full sun never completely shuts down and stops growing. It grows much slower in the fall/winter but there's still some mowing to be done.

lizard

lizard

Can't argue with that. I'm just substituting wood processing for mowing during the off season.

It's funny but the grass that gets full sun never completely shuts down and stops growing. It grows much slower in the fall/winter but there's still some mowing to be done.

In winter its a 3 weekly cycle for mowing......depending on the variety.
Well its going to be 36C tomorrow......and the grass is really growing quickly, so the fuel will be vapourising in the Brushcutters.......but I use Aerostart to get them going again.:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

In winter its a 3 weekly cycle for mowing......depending on the variety.
Well its going to be 36C tomorrow......and the grass is really growing quickly, so the fuel will be vapourising in the Brushcutters.......but I use Aerostart to get them going again.:cool:

Wow, 36C = 97F.:eek: That's really hot and it's not even summer yet. I looked up Perth and it's at 31 degrees south latitude. I'm at 33 degrees north so you're a little closer to the equator than I am.

Three weeks is about right for a winter mowing cycle in the SE USA. Farther north the grass doesn't grow at all in winter.

Drink lots of water when you're out in that heat.

lizard

lizard

In December it will be 'Summer'.......forecasting 40C days.......the machinery goes well......4 strokes seem to be ok , but the 2 strokes run well and never seize.
I run 98 octane with a 25 to 1 oil mix.........no problems at all , so I am not changing to 50 to 1.....why go there.......oil is cheap.........motors are expensive.
Drink 8 litres of water on a really hot day.........so I can keep going 6 hours straight.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

In December it will be 'Summer'.......forecasting 40C days.......the machinery goes well......4 strokes seem to be ok , but the 2 strokes run well and never seize.
I run 98 octane with a 25 to 1 oil mix.........no problems at all , so I am not changing to 50 to 1.....why go there.......oil is cheap.........motors are expensive.
Drink 8 litres of water on a really hot day.........so I can keep going 6 hours straight.:eek:

40C = 104F :confused2:

The part of the US where I live, the "Deep South", has a reputation for being incredibly hot (and humid -- that's the kicker) in the summer. Most people (not me) just stay inside in the summer months. But it's rare to get temperatures over 100F. We have long periods it hits 95F+ every day but 100F+ is still rare.

Is it very humid in Perth? Dry heat -- like the SW USA -- is easier to take than humid heat.

I don't have trouble with any of my engines due to heat -- my body has a tougher time than any of the machines.

lizard

lizard

40C = 104F :confused2:

The part of the US where I live, the "Deep South", has a reputation for being incredibly hot (and humid -- that's the kicker) in the summer. Most people (not me) just stay inside in the summer months. But it's rare to get temperatures over 100F. We have long periods it hits 95F+ every day but 100F+ is still rare.

Is it very humid in Perth? Dry heat -- like the SW USA -- is easier to take than humid heat.

I don't have trouble with any of my engines due to heat -- my body has a tougher time than any of the machines.

Perth usually has a dry heat humidity is very low.......so I can still work in extreme temperatures even on 42C days........But i try to Start early and finish earlier to beat the heat.
My van is airconditioned.......so I get relief between jobs.:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Sometimes at my farm I mow at night to beat the heat -- can't do that in Atlanta -- too much noise. I rigged a flashlight mount on my mower and also use a headlamp (a pretty powerful LED light mounted on an elastic headband -- a very handy gadget.)

lizard

lizard

Sometimes at my farm I mow at night to beat the heat -- can't do that in Atlanta -- too much noise. I rigged a flashlight mount on my mower and also use a headlamp (a pretty powerful LED light mounted on an elastic headband -- a very handy gadget.)

How many acres do you call it a farm?
Night is usually cooler but there is moe bugs flying around causing havoc.
Prefer the heat rather than the cold.:thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

How many acres do you call it a farm?
Night is usually cooler but there is moe bugs flying around causing havoc.
Prefer the heat rather than the cold.:thumbsup:

It's 62 acres -- mostly wooded. I don't actually "farm" anything but there are some fruit trees and wild blueberries. The biggest project is thinning out the woods. Most of it has very dense growth which is why my chainsaws and brush mower get a lot of use.

lizard

lizard

It's 62 acres -- mostly wooded. I don't actually "farm" anything but there are some fruit trees and wild blueberries. The biggest project is thinning out the woods. Most of it has very dense growth which is why my chainsaws and brush mower get a lot of use.
Since 1986 you are only allowed to clear 1 hectare per year........a few people have been jailed recently for clearing bush.
I have cleared thousands of acres in the old days........now it just mowing grass.....lol:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Since 1986 you are only allowed to clear 1 hectare per year........a few people have been jailed recently for clearing bush.
I have cleared thousands of acres in the old days........now it just mowing grass.....lol:eek:

Actually, I'm not clearing any land. I'm thinning the forest so that there are gaps between the trees of about five to eight feet and the brush is cleared. It looks much better and is walkable after this has been done. It also allows the remaining trees to thrive and get really large.

lizard

lizard

Actually, I'm not clearing any land. I'm thinning the forest so that there are gaps between the trees of about five to eight feet and the brush is cleared. It looks much better and is walkable after this has been done. It also allows the remaining trees to thrive and get really large.

How much can you do in a good day...........our people use to clear a acre a day by axe.......in 1920.
Now you can clear a acre a minute with the 2 dozers with a 900 ft chain.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

How much can you do in a good day...........our people use to clear a acre a day by axe.......in 1920.
Now you can clear a acre a minute with the 2 dozers with a 900 ft chain.:eek:

Keeping in mind that I'm not "clearing", I'm thinning, the answer is a lot less than one acre a day. And that's with a chainsaw and a tractor to move anything too heavy to carry by hand.

Could one man really clear an acre a day with just an axe? That seems unrealistic.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Keeping in mind that I'm not "clearing", I'm thinning, the answer is a lot less than one acre a day. And that's with a chainsaw and a tractor to move anything too heavy to carry by hand.

Could one man really clear an acre a day with just an axe? That seems unrealistic.

Remember 2stroke, he's in Perth an arid climate, your in Alabama, lots of rain, warm temperatures and high humidity. You guys are talikng about 2 completely different climate zones. His idea of brush and yours are very different.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Remember 2stroke, he's in Perth an arid climate, your in Alabama, lots of rain, warm temperatures and high humidity. You guys are talikng about 2 completely different climate zones. His idea of brush and yours are very different.

That's correct, he mentioned in another post that Perth has a fairly dry climate. I can't imagine doing the thinning as I'm doing it (without bulldozing -- I don't want to scrape the topsoil) at the rate of one acre per day.

lizard

lizard

That's correct, he mentioned in another post that Perth has a fairly dry climate. I can't imagine doing the thinning as I'm doing it (without bulldozing -- I don't want to scrape the topsoil) at the rate of one acre per day.

Robert is correct in we are so different in the world.........the trees that they were clearing was light scrub or small gimlet trees........have a google: SARDI....history..........will give you a idea about clearing in 1915.
Now I understand what your vegetation is , this makes sense of thinning it out.
Bit like lawns mowed a 7mm in Perth to the rest of Australia mowing at 50mm to 75mm........it is all different........so it is confusing for all.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I did look up SARDI. It's interesting that the area was basically wild as recently as 1920. But that's South Australia -- a long way from Perth, right?

lizard

lizard

I did look up SARDI. It's interesting that the area was basically wild as recently as 1920. But that's South Australia -- a long way from Perth, right?

Yes it is long way from Perth.........it is like a different country.......Australia is very different depending where you are situated.
Got to 37.0C yesterday........today was just 25C but 90% humidity..........horrible day for working........prefer High temeratures and little humidity.
We have some water restrictions for people on scheme water.......but bore owners have none.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

We have some water restrictions for people on scheme water.......but bore owners have none.:eek:

We (in the City of Atlanta) haven't had water restrictions in the last couple of years but when we did it was really tough on people who desire a perfect lawn. In the long run, water conservation is a big issue for metro-Atlanta.

lizard

lizard

Lawn mowers are great fun at speed with a full differential.....spin round on a 5 cent bit.......absolutley the best ..........jump for joy.:eek::confused2::rolleyes:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Yes it is long way from Perth.........it is like a different country.......Australia is very different depending where you are situated.
Got to 37.0C yesterday........today was just 25C but 90% humidity..........horrible day for working........prefer High temeratures and little humidity.

Whoa slow down lizard, I'm hav'in trouble gettin ya:confused2:
Scheme water is?... supplied from a purveyor, like the city? and Bore is a well?
25C is 77F, 77 @ 95% humidity is horrible? That's cool here we wait until dark to work in temeratures like that. We commonly see 35c @ 95% for 3 months during the summer (June, July and August):laughing: That's way past horrible, I can't drink faster than I sweat in those temperatures.

lizard

lizard

Hate mowing when it is raining or the grass is really wet...........such a pain.
Slows everything up.....clippings stick to everything..........just a nightmare.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Hate mowing when it is raining or the grass is really wet...........such a pain.
Slows everything up.....clippings stick to everything..........just a nightmare.:eek:

I'm surprised that you mow at all in the rain. Do reel mowers do better than rotary mowers in the wet? I imagine that they might.

lizard

lizard

I'm surprised that you mow at all in the rain. Do reel mowers do better than rotary mowers in the wet? I imagine that they might.

Reel mowers can cut in the wet better than a rotary.........just the mess of clipping when they are wet.....plus you can tighten the clearance between the bottom blade and reel to zero clearance as the lawn is wet and is lubricating and keeping things cool..........and it cuts better.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Reel mowers can cut in the wet better than a rotary.........just the mess of clipping when they are wet.....plus you can tighten the clearance between the bottom blade and reel to zero clearance as the lawn is wet and is lubricating and keeping things cool..........and it cuts better.:eek:

That makes sense. I do know that rotaries don't do well in the wet -- I just wait for the grass to dry, at least somewhat.

lizard

lizard

That makes sense. I do know that rotaries don't do well in the wet -- I just wait for the grass to dry, at least somewhat.

Rotaries get blocked up in the exit chute in some mowers as it is too small at is a drama.......some rotaries are better than others in the wet.
But sometimes you have to mow when it is wet or raining.......lol:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Rotaries get blocked up in the exit chute in some mowers as it is too small at is a drama.......some rotaries are better than others in the wet.
True -- two-stokes spin faster and with more power so they're less prone to clogging.

But sometimes you have to mow when it is wet or raining.......lol:eek:

I never mow when it's actually raining but occasionally when it's still a bit wet.

lizard

lizard

:eek::eek:
True -- two-stokes spin faster and with more power so they're less prone to clogging.

I never mow when it's actually raining but occasionally when it's still a bit wet.

Never under estimate a 2 Stroke...........4 Strokes are so so ........thats it

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

:eek::eek:

Never under estimate a 2 Stroke...........4 Strokes are so so ........thats it

OK, getting back to "Walk Behind, Mow Faster", don't you think that the ultimate reel walk-behind mower would be: much, much lighter, therefore (a) powered by a two-stroke; and (b) made of a lighter metal or even carbon fiber?

I believe you said that your mower is 127kg -- I don't think it really needs to be that heavy. You would appreciate a lighter, more nimble machine.

K

KennyV

you can tighten the clearance between the bottom blade and reel to zero clearance as the lawn is wet and is lubricating and keeping things cool

That is how I keep my reel set sharp... but I wet it with valve lapping compound ... and slowly tighten the bed knife toward the reel... dresses the edges out perfect... and even sounds good... :smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

OK, getting back to "Walk Behind, Mow Faster", don't you think that the ultimate reel walk-behind mower would be: much, much lighter, therefore (a) powered by a two-stroke; and (b) made of a lighter metal or even carbon fiber?

I believe you said that your mower is 127kg -- I don't think it really needs to be that heavy. You would appreciate a lighter, more nimble machine.

The mower needs to be heavy to compress the lawn to allow it to cut at a perfect level.........7mm as the front roller keeps it stable..........the whole machine needs to be square to cut absolutely perfect.
These 'Reel' mowers cut down to even 2mm.........so you need to know that is perfectly adjusted.........a Rotary mower weighing 30kgs could never ever do this.............remember it is cutting 28 inches wide.............and is a perfect cut.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The mower needs to be heavy to compress the lawn to allow it to cut at a perfect level.........7mm as the front roller keeps it stable..........the whole machine needs to be square to cut absolutely perfect.
These 'Reel' mowers cut down to even 2mm.........so you need to know that is perfectly adjusted.........a Rotary mower weighing 30kgs could never ever do this.............remember it is cutting 28 inches wide.............and is a perfect cut.:eek:

I didn't know that -- interesting. All else being equal, I prefer a lighter machine. In this case there's a reason for it to be heavy.

lizard

lizard

I didn't know that -- interesting. All else being equal, I prefer a lighter machine. In this case there's a reason for it to be heavy.

Being self propelled and having a split roller and full differential makes it so easy for anyone to cut a lawn ...Big or small confined area's.......absolutely magic.:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Being self propelled and having a split roller and full differential makes it so easy for anyone to cut a lawn ...Big or small confined area's.......absolutely magic.:cool:

They are neat looking mowers. Are they exported or is it strictly a West Australian thing?

lizard

lizard

They are neat looking mowers. Are they exported or is it strictly a West Australian thing?

They are only a Western Australia thing...........as we mow our lawns short.......generally 10mm height.
The Turf we grow here is like a Bowling or golf green........and yes we are unique or freaks.......lol.
the turf named 'Bent' is a classic example...........just google and you will see what I mean.:confused2::eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

They are only a Western Australia thing...........as we mow our lawns short.......generally 10mm height.
The Turf we grow here is like a Bowling or golf green........and yes we are unique or freaks.......lol.
the turf named 'Bent' is a classic example...........just google and you will see what I mean.:confused2::eek:

I did Google it and was surprised that there are so many varieties of "Bent". It seems like it's popular in Western Australia, although it grows in other places, but it's only used there for golf courses, etc.

lizard

lizard

I did Google it and was surprised that there are so many varieties of "Bent". It seems like it's popular in Western Australia, although it grows in other places, but it's only used there for golf courses, etc.

People love their lawns here in western Australia..........they spend thousands of dollars on them a year.......but they get the temperature of the house down compared to having Paving Bricks.:confused2::eek:

lizard

lizard

The Honda motor is now doing 4,500Rpm.........sounds really good, but it chews the fuel up at a alarming rate.
Tipped the edger over, it has a GX 120 Honda 4 horse power..........and it had petrol coming out of the exhaust.
Fully locked up with raw petrol in chamber........had to change the engine oil and wind engine over with spark plug out to get rid of excess fuel.
Now it running well after 10 minutes.........was smoking out of exhaust ........but all is good now.:eek:

lizard

lizard

Mowing at night or low light is a option for people as they can install lights on their Mowers.
That is is you are not breaking any Laws governing your time of mowing?
Do you have any restrictions........like mowing on Sunday?:confused2:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The Honda motor is now doing 4,500Rpm.........sounds really good, but it chews the fuel up at a alarming rate.
Tipped the edger over, it has a GX 120 Honda 4 horse power..........and it had petrol coming out of the exhaust.

I mentioned that I have a Honda-powered brush mower, "Billy". It's a substitute for my diesel-powered Kubota tractor -- when the slope is too steep or the clearance is too narrow, I use Billy. I've noticed a huge difference in the fuel consumption between the two: the Kubota is much more efficient.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Mowing at night or low light is a option for people as they can install lights on their Mowers.
That is is you are not breaking any Laws governing your time of mowing?
Do you have any restrictions........like mowing on Sunday?:confused2:

In the City of Atlanta there's a noise ordinance but I don't know if my mower (The Lawn Boy, which has a huge muffler, is very quiet) would run afoul of the law. I don't think the ordinance differs by day of the week. I don't mow at night out of courtesy to my neighbors.

At my place out in Cleburne County, AL, I'm far enough from neighbors that there's absolutely no issue with running a mower or any other equipment at any time.:biggrin: That's where I do my night mowing. That's also where the large areas of grass are located.

lizard

lizard

I mentioned that I have a Honda-powered brush mower, "Billy". It's a substitute for my diesel-powered Kubota tractor -- when the slope is too steep or the clearance is too narrow, I use Billy. I've noticed a huge difference in the fuel consumption between the two: the Kubota is much more efficient.

Honda is a 4 Stroke Petrol and the Kubota is a Diesel.........yes Diesel is much more economical and reliable in longevity, so there is no substitute for cubic capacity..........the Diesel will .....just Lug..........not like a Honda and Stall.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Honda is a 4 Stroke Petrol and the Kubota is a Diesel.........yes Diesel is much more economical and reliable in longevity, so there is no substitute for cubic capacity..........the Diesel will .....just Lug..........not like a Honda and Stall.:eek:

I like the diesel tractor so much that I think my next vehicle (car or truck) will be a diesel. Diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline here but it's still a good deal. Plus, I like the sound of a diesel at idle.

lizard

lizard

I like the diesel tractor so much that I think my next vehicle (car or truck) will be a diesel. Diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline here but it's still a good deal. Plus, I like the sound of a diesel at idle.

Diesel is the way to go..........everyone is seeing the benefits of diesel.......economy and power.
I love love my diesels.........my favourite engine is the Detroit GM........8V92 ......and yes a 2 Stroke!:biggrin::eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Diesel is the way to go..........everyone is seeing the benefits of diesel.......economy and power.
I love love my diesels.........my favourite engine is the Detroit GM........8V92 ......and yes a 2 Stroke!:biggrin::eek:

I had to look up the 8V92 -- I found this WikiPedia page. I've probably been in a bus powered by one of those without knowing it.

For my vehicle purchase I have something smaller in mind.

lizard

lizard

I had to look up the 8V92 -- I found this WikiPedia page. I've probably been in a bus powered by one of those without knowing it.

For my vehicle purchase I have something smaller in mind.

Make sure you get a 'Turbo Diesel'........better on fuel and powerfull!:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Make sure you get a 'Turbo Diesel'........better on fuel and powerfull!:eek:

I know it's more powerful and all but how about reliability and complexity? Will I have a harder time working on the engine and aren't there more moving parts?

lizard

lizard

I know it's more powerful and all but how about reliability and complexity? Will I have a harder time working on the engine and aren't there more moving parts?

These days they last 500,000km without touching the motor, the turbo will live to 1,000,000kms as long as you change the oil every 5,000kms.
The alternator or starter motor or water pump are the first things to go .........so at least 5 years happy motoring.:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

These days they last 500,000km without touching the motor, the turbo will live to 1,000,000kms as long as you change the oil every 5,000kms.
The alternator or starter motor or water pump are the first things to go .........so at least 5 years happy motoring.:biggrin:

If the engine lasts that long it probably will outlast the useful life of the body and suspension. My truck is over ten years old with just over 100,000 miles -- but I'm adding miles a bit more quickly since I bought my farm in February, 2009.

lizard

lizard

If the engine lasts that long it probably will outlast the useful life of the body and suspension. My truck is over ten years old with just over 100,000 miles -- but I'm adding miles a bit more quickly since I bought my farm in February, 2009.

You are only doing 10,000 miles a year.......will you be doing more or less now these days?
Are you getting a S.U.V or a light Truck?:confused2::eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

You are only doing 10,000 miles a year.......will you be doing more or less now these days?
Are you getting a S.U.V or a light Truck?:confused2::eek:

Before the last two years I was only driving about 6000 or 7000 miles a year (plus about 6000 miles on my bicycles -- part of my transportation, mostly in the city) -- but since I've been commuting back and forth to the farm on weekends, I'm now racking up miles (on the truck) at the rate of about 12k a year.

I'm not sure what I'm going to buy -- I don't need a new vehicle but I think it would be fun to have a diesel car/truck.

lizard

lizard

Before the last two years I was only driving about 6000 or 7000 miles a year (plus about 6000 miles on my bicycles -- part of my transportation, mostly in the city) -- but since I've been commuting back and forth to the farm on weekends, I'm now racking up miles (on the truck) at the rate of about 12k a year.

I'm not sure what I'm going to buy -- I don't need a new vehicle but I think it would be fun to have a diesel car/truck.

Maybe a F250 with the 7.3 litre turbo diesel.........thats a nice little Truck secondhand!:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Maybe a F250 with the 7.3 litre turbo diesel.........thats a nice little Truck secondhand!:cool:

An F250 isn't a little truck -- my next-door-neighbor has one -- but I get your point.

lizard

lizard

An F250 isn't a little truck -- my next-door-neighbor has one -- but I get your point.

The F250 are very comfy and you sit up high...........love them.........but they cost $140,000 in Australia brand new:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The F250 are very comfy and you sit up high...........love them.........but they cost $140,000 in Australia brand new:eek:

Wow -- that's shocking.:confused2: I checked the exchange rate and our dollars are almost equal. Anyway. if I buy a truck I'll buy a used one for much, much less than that.

What I'm thinking of doiig is getting a diesel car (Jetta TDI -- mid 1990s) -- not a replacement for my Nissan truck.

lizard

lizard

Wow -- that's shocking.:confused2: I checked the exchange rate and our dollars are almost equal. Anyway. if I buy a truck I'll buy a used one for much, much less than that.

What I'm thinking of doiig is getting a diesel car (Jetta TDI -- mid 1990s) -- not a replacement for my Nissan truck.

VW Jetta is good.........buy it , same as a VW Golf.......but has a boot.........absolutley perefect for anyone..........go for it.:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Do any of the reel walk-behind mowers have diesel engines? I remember that higher weight is necessary for those mowers and diesels are heavier. The diesel-powered Kubota riding mowers are popular.

lizard

lizard

Do any of the reel walk-behind mowers have diesel engines? I remember that higher weight is necessary for those mowers and diesels are heavier. The diesel-powered Kubota riding mowers are popular.

Sounds like a good idea when the Honda throws in the Towel.
Would have to alter gearing on machine if the Diesel was running at 2,000 Rpm........compared to 4,000Rpm............but will give it some serious thought.
Fuel efficent and a nice muffler to quieten it...........these new generation Diesels are ahead of their time..........even overhead cam.:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I wonder if there is an existing diesel engine that could basically bolt on -- like the Honda engine, one that is already used in other applications.

lizard

lizard

I wonder if there is an existing diesel engine that could basically bolt on -- like the Honda engine, one that is already used in other applications.

Google..yamaha diesel engines................they have a twin cylinder 1000cc two stroke diesel........with variable compression ratio of 13 to 1.......to 18 to 1........50% increase in torque.......check it out.........Two strokes are in..........4 strokes are out.........lol:eek::confused2:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I did a little searching and found this 10hp diesel engine that looks like it could bolt onto a reel mower. Alas, it's a four-stroke.

I have to add that while I like diesels and, separately, I like small two-stroke gas engines. I'm not sure about these two-stroke diesels -- I have no experience with them.

lizard

lizard

I did a little searching and found this 10hp diesel engine that looks like it could bolt onto a reel mower. Alas, it's a four-stroke.

I have to add that while I like diesels and, separately, I like small two-stroke gas engines. I'm not sure about these two-stroke diesels -- I have no experience with them.

Type in 2 Stroke diesel...........these are the best engines made..........makes 4 Strokes look pathetic.
They do not smoke as they are electronically controlled by computer.
So you cannot write off 2Strokes or Diesels.......as they are the Future.........loads of Torque and Power.:eek:

lizard

lizard

Reel mowers cut nice and wide..........better than a Rotary...........and less maintenence, they can now cut grass 3 inches high..........buy one if you can..........maybe Western Australia:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

So, do you think Dwyer Felton is going to come out with a diesel walk behind mower?

I like the idea of the two-stroke diesels but I just don't know that much about them. One thing I read said that they tend to be heavy -- good for marine applications, etc. I also read that they don't use the crankcase to shoot the fuel-air mixture up to the combustion chamber. The fuel-air mixture is pumped under pressure -- sounds similar to a supercharger.

lizard

lizard

So, do you think Dwyer Felton is going to come out with a diesel walk behind mower?

I like the idea of the two-stroke diesels but I just don't know that much about them. One thing I read said that they tend to be heavy -- good for marine applications, etc. I also read that they don't use the crankcase to shoot the fuel-air mixture up to the combustion chamber. The fuel-air mixture is pumped under pressure -- sounds similar to a supercharger.

Detroit Diesel(GM).........are a two stroke supercharged,turbocharged Diesel........they have maximum torque at 1100Rpm and high idle of 2100Rpm.......these are Truck engines.
The car diesel engines are lighter even some have aluminum Blocks and heads..........but Steel Liners.........they have come a long way .........have a look at mercedes Benz.........racing their Diesel engine powered race cars.
Dwyer Felton........only have petrol honda.........they should look at diesel.........as the more they weigh the better.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Audi had fielded some turbo-diesel race cars recently. Some of that technology has filtered down to their consumer line.

lizard

lizard

Audi had fielded some turbo-diesel race cars recently. Some of that technology has filtered down to their consumer line.

Audi make some awesome diesel turbo sedans............but they cost serious money.........stick to the VW Golf.......good Diesel:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Actually, it's the Jetta TDI that I've been thinking about -- but it's just a thought.

lizard

lizard

Actually, it's the Jetta TDI that I've been thinking about -- but it's just a thought.

Like I said before.....a Jetta is a Golf with a boot...............it is not a hatch...........but a sedan...........which is better...............hate hatchbacks:mad:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Like I said before.....a Jetta is a Golf with a boot...............it is not a hatch...........but a sedan...........which is better...............hate hatchbacks:mad:

I'm not absolutely sure -- somebody help me -- but, at least in the US, the Jetta is a different car. It's larger than the Golf -- not just sedan vs hatchback.

lizard

lizard

I'm not absolutely sure -- somebody help me -- but, at least in the US, the Jetta is a different car. It's larger than the Golf -- not just sedan vs hatchback.

Yeah the Jetta is a tad bigger.........but they have got 6 speed auto tranny.........320nm torque turbo diesel

lizard

lizard

Mow your lawn at the right height and speed, as well as having protective gear on, ie. Gloves Full face Protectors and Fully clothed........and Steel capped boots.
Many a Rotary mower has taken Toes and fingers off careless People.
Remember mowing can be dangerous if you do not take precautions..........death or serious injury can occur when you least expect it..........bit like Insurance...........you never know when you may require it.:eek:

lizard

lizard

Warming up this week the Honda is still doing 4,500 Rpm..............has not blown yet.............but time will tell!:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Mow your lawn at the right height and speed, as well as having protective gear on, ie. Gloves Full face Protectors and Fully clothed........and Steel capped boots.
Many a Rotary mower has taken Toes and fingers off careless People.
Remember mowing can be dangerous if you do not take precautions..........death or serious injury can occur when you least expect it..........bit like Insurance...........you never know when you may require it.:eek:

I used full safety gear over the weekend while cutting, splitting and stacking wood -- still managed to mash my finger.:mad:

lizard

lizard

I used full safety gear over the weekend while cutting, splitting and stacking wood -- still managed to mash my finger.:mad:

The Pain and suffering over a Finger getting mashed is horrific..........you just wonder if it could have been worse and lose a finger.
Gloves do not protect you from steel blades...........it happens in a split second...........and your regret your ever saw a mower.:eek:

lizard

lizard

Do you walk or run or sit when you are mowing?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Do you walk or run or sit when you are mowing?

I walk briskly. Mowing can be good exercise -- it's a shame to sit on a mower when you could be walking.

lizard

lizard

I walk briskly. Mowing can be good exercise -- it's a shame to sit on a mower when you could be walking.

I am very fit, can go 7 hours without a stop..............really good when you get to this stage.........nothing that you cannot do.........good feeling when you are so healthy.:smile:

lizard

lizard

Have you ever seen 'Vertimowing'............thats a process........lol:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Have you ever seen 'Vertimowing'............thats a process........lol:eek:

No, I hadn't heard of it, but then I'm not from West Australia. This is yet another indication of how "fussy" West Australians can be about their lawns.:biggrin:

I did a Bing search and all of the results on the first page were from West Australian companies.

Here is a website that describes the process. The equipment looks pretty cool -- made by Dwyer & Felton.:cool:

lizard

lizard

No, I hadn't heard of it, but then I'm not from West Australia. This is yet another indication of how "fussy" West Australians can be about their lawns.:biggrin:

I did a Bing search and all of the results on the first page were from West Australian companies.

Here is a website that describes the process. The equipment looks pretty cool -- made by Dwyer & Felton.:cool:

Dwyer and Felton...........are the British equivalent to Rolls Royce.
They make the Best mowers in the World........and last nearly Forever.........lol:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Dwyer and Felton...........are the British equivalent to Rolls Royce.
They make the Best mowers in the World........and last nearly Forever.........lol:cool:

I thought they were Australian -- West Australian, to be specific.

lizard

lizard

The lawns over here are high maintence.......which is good as people are in love with their Green patch..........so it has to look like a Bowling green.........thats the pride of West Australians.:cool:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Question about the West Australian lawns: is it usually necessary to grade the area so that it's perfectly level? If you're cutting to just 2mm to 5mm then it seems crucial to get rid of any humps -- even small ones.

lizard

lizard

Question about the West Australian lawns: is it usually necessary to grade the area so that it's perfectly level? If you're cutting to just 2mm to 5mm then it seems crucial to get rid of any humps -- even small ones.

The lawn does not have to be perfectly level, as the mower will make it level with several mowings.
If it is an uneven lawn it will be scalped and sand will be needed in the low parts then graded level.
Lawns that a mowed by a 'Reel Mower' will be nice and level after many mowings........if it is a Roughie a Rotary mower is good for 'Bush Pig Lawns'........lol:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

.......if it is a Roughie a Rotary mower is good for 'Bush Pig Lawns'........lol:eek:

That's the perfect comment.:laughing: I have a 'Bush Pig Lawn' -- to the extent that I have a 'Lawn'.

I just got back from a weekend at the farm -- did a lot of brush mowing with the Honda-powered Billy Goat. Man, I wish that thing didn't weigh 300 pounds.:confused2:

lizard

lizard

That's the perfect comment.:laughing: I have a 'Bush Pig Lawn' -- to the extent that I have a 'Lawn'.

I just got back from a weekend at the farm -- did a lot of brush mowing with the Honda-powered Billy Goat. Man, I wish that thing didn't weigh 300 pounds.:confused2:

Is it a 13 Horse Power Honda......and is it self propelled............or Push...........lol:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Is it a 13 Horse Power Honda......and is it self propelled............or Push...........lol:eek:

I think it's 13 hp -- model number GXV340. It is self-propelled but when I'm working on highly uneven terrain it's unavoidable that it has to be muscled around quite a bit.:frown:

lizard

lizard

I think it's 13 hp -- model number GXV340. It is self-propelled but when I'm working on highly uneven terrain it's unavoidable that it has to be muscled around quite a bit.:frown:

Sounds like a Beast..........those 13HP Hondas are nasty on kickback........breaks the starter rope....or is your a Electric Start Model.:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Sounds like a Beast..........those 13HP Hondas are nasty on kickback........breaks the starter rope....or is your a Electric Start Model.:biggrin:

It has a starter rope. The beastly part is when I'm on uneven ground and it gets stuck -- I've got to pull it out using brute force. The benefit to that is that it's cross-training: using muscles that I don't use every day.

lizard

lizard

It has a starter rope. The beastly part is when I'm on uneven ground and it gets stuck -- I've got to pull it out using brute force. The benefit to that is that it's cross-training: using muscles that I don't use every day.

Has it a open Differential or a Limited Slip differential?:confused2:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Has it a open Differential or a Limited Slip differential?:confused2:

It has a differential which allows either wheel to spin by itself if there's poor traction -- I guess that's "open".

The later models have limited slip -- I wish I had that.:laughing:

Sometimes the problem is simply an obstruction like a mound of dirt or a bunch of vines wrapped around the mower -- better traction would help but wouldn't be a cure-all.

lizard

lizard

Doing 'Vertimowing'................pig of a job......but at $250.00 PER HOUR.......You cannot complain..........where there is muck this is a Buck..........lol:licking::biggrin::laughing::thumbsup:

lizard

lizard

Mowing a lawn and hit a 50 cent piece........cut halve the Queens Head off................but damaged the Blade and Reel.............$200.00............later it is better..........hate foreign objects!:mad:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Mowing a lawn and hit a 50 cent piece........cut halve the Queens Head off................but damaged the Blade and Reel.............$200.00............later it is better..........hate foreign objects!:mad:

Hey lizard, good to hear from you.

Hitting foreign objects is something that a reel mower is much more sensitive to. But the perfect cut demanded by West Australian customers must be achieved -- even if it's expensive.

lizard

lizard

Was edging a customers lawn and broke my sliding door window on my Van, that was due to a stone that was in the lawn edge..........$350.00 to replace.:eek:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Was edging a customers lawn and broke my sliding door window on my Van, that was due to a stone that was in the lawn edge..........$350.00 to replace.:eek:

That's bad luck, look at the bright side, at least it didn't hit your customers car, or house, or head!

lizard

lizard

That's bad luck, look at the bright side, at least it didn't hit your customers car, or house, or head!

Best to be Happy and like you said could have been worse............so why worry:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

This was a reel mower, right? Did it shoot the rock out the front?

For this reason I don't let my dog run around near me when I mow.

lizard

lizard

This was a reel mower, right? Did it shoot the rock out the front?

For this reason I don't let my dog run around near me when I mow.

Yes it is best for people and animals to remain indoors.............mowing is Dangerous.:eek:

demhustler

demhustler

We are currently mowing at 4.2 Miles Per Hour?

we - 15 (depends of conditions)
regular (midmount) ztrs: dc, hustler sz, badboy - 15 mph mowers; scag cheetah - 16mph cutting speed (recommended only for less demanding conditions); husqvarna pzzt - 18 mph transport speed/12 mph - cutting (shuts blades off on transport speed)

lizard

lizard

we - 15 (depends of conditions)
regular (midmount) ztrs: dc, hustler sz, badboy - 15 mph mowers; scag cheetah - 16mph cutting speed (recommended only for less demanding conditions); husqvarna pzzt - 18 mph transport speed/12 mph - cutting (shuts blades off on transport speed)

We are walking behind the Mower not sitting on it...........Jogging maybe......:laughing:

demhustler

demhustler

We are walking behind the Mower not sitting on it...........Jogging maybe......:laughing:

walk-behind part - disappeared : ))))
anyway, dixie copper had 22hp w/b mower called "run-behind" (it had sulky, though)

demhustler

demhustler

now our set-up for 2-man mowing crew - 2 60'' riders and 1 33'' w/b - goes in small gates, etc

before 33'' we had to use push-mowers (21-22'') - despite it self-propel and wider than trimmer cutting with (about 17-18'') - it's much slower than trimmer; you loosing time on overlaps and turns;

mods i did to my push mowers:
- increased driving wheel diameter (glued strips of rubber from old tire around drive wheels) - increased speed;
- shortened handle, so you can turn mover around 180 on the spot with one hand - "short throw" (it's self-propelled, you don't need long handle and walk around whole mower just to turn it..)

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

mods i did to my push mowers:
- increased driving wheel diameter (glued strips of rubber from old tire around drive wheels) - increased speed;
- shortened handle, so you can turn mover around 180 on the spot with one hand - "short throw" (it's self-propelled, you don't need long handle and walk around whole mower just to turn it..)

Clever ideas -- I like the second one particularly.

S

slowermower

Hi, I'm writing from Australia having just purchased a second hand 22" Dwyer Felton reel mower. Great cond (~6 yrs old) and equipped with ?4hp Kawasaki motor. Problem is I've never owned or used a reel mower before and I'm looking for some tips. Despite being a commercial machine I really only want to use it on my lawn at home ?wintergreen ?couch aiming for that bowling green like finish?! Problems:
(1) doesn't cut even slightly long (2-3") lawn, motor just stalls as the blades can't turn. Maybe the previous owner had the cut set too low, but eventually I'm aiming for the low cut look and this machine is a real hassle to adjust the height on.
(2) bloody heavy and I'm struggling to move it around my yard (~2000sqm) when it's not actually cutting, usually resulting in me restarting it and driving it everywhere, which is a bit of a nuisance over driveways, gravel etc, and probably harmful to the machine
(3) single lever-arm clutch which takes a bit of getting used to and a leap of faith the first time you engage the engine and it takes off at 100 miles per hour. If it gets away from you I'm not sure what will stop it as there's no emergency shut-off or auto-release. Thankfully, this seems to be getting better with practice.
(4) was told from the previous owner that the blades need sharpening, however, it seems to cut ok and many forums suggest these machines are self-sharpening so maybe it's not necessary. How often would you suggest getting my mower professionally serviced, as I can't afford to have it live in the shop?
Kind regards

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

WELCOME TO LMF!
People take their mowers into the shop a different amount of times....some only maybe once or twice a year to get the blades sharpened (if no other problems occur). There are many factors that determine how often you will need to sharpen your blades--including the amount you mow and if you hit a lot of sticks. It is good to do regular maintenance more often though; like cleaning the air filter, changing oil, etc.
Maybe you could post some pictures of your mower.
:welcome:

K

KennyV

That IS a great mowing machine, none better...
But you will Not be able to get the type of cut you want, or that it was designed to do, If you are going much above 1 inch...
As to sharpening, take a close look at the rotating blades, if they are showing any rounding, especially the leading edge, you will have to grind them true, lathe works best. Once all are true, they will self sharpen, you can use valve grinding compound to lapp them in, it will help speed the process, just be sure the bed knife is true, and watch the leading edge of the blades...
....being as how your only mowing about a half acre, You should have no problems keeping it sharp for 10 years or so, before you need to true on a lathe again...
There is not much you can do about the speed... those mowers were designed to cover a Lot of ground FAST...
If you read from the Start of this thread you would be familiar with "Lizard" He was one of the early members to these forums, one of Your countrymen... And a very knowledgeable fellow, especially about your mower & the type of greens you are after... (Sure do miss that guy)... This particular thread was started by him along with several other Interesting ones..... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

This is one of the greatest threads ever. Even though I have no interest in either that type of mower (reel) or the super-groomed lawn that can be achieved with a reel mower, I still loved learning all that stuff.

It's too bad that "lizard" doesn't post here anymore. :mad: