Motor locked up

Tweeder

Threads
Had any luck locating an engine yet?

Haven't had a chance yet. I called sears to look for prices and they had a short block, but its been discontinued. The crank an connecting rod were just under $500. So I think I'm gonna look for a new motor as a used one might be problematic.

benski

Threads
That little 6.5 wont be up to the task. A Kohler will bolt in to the hole if you can't find a Briggs. Otherwise, e-Bay or other sources, like a lawnmower shop nearby if you have one, will work. Don't forget shipping, etc.:eek:

Tweeder

Threads
Well got the motor torn down. Snapped the con rod in a couple places, looks to be a spun bearing. Also broke the gear wheel inside(not sure what its called). So I decided to scrap the motor all together. After looking at the prices at rebuilding and buying a new motor, for a few hundred more I think i'll just buy a new machine. Is there anywhere to post for sale parts on here?

benski

Threads
Well got the motor torn down. Snapped the con rod in a couple places, looks to be a spun bearing. Also broke the gear wheel inside(not sure what its called). So I decided to scrap the motor all together. After looking at the prices at rebuilding and buying a new motor, for a few hundred more I think i'll just buy a new machine. Is there anywhere to post for sale parts on here?

So far, unfortunately no. :frown:I think it would be a great idea to have a buy and sell, and parts wanted forum here on LMF!

benski

Threads
Given your geographic isolation, you probably made the right choice in just getting a new machine.:thumbsup: All part of the cost of living in such a beautiful part of the world.:biggrin:

Tweeder

Threads
Given your geographic isolation, you probably made the right choice in just getting a new machine.:thumbsup: All part of the cost of living in such a beautiful part of the world.:biggrin:

It wasn't that beautiful this year with all the rain. Then it's used to push snow.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Sounds like around here- used to be plenty of cheep used tractors for parts, now since the economy is bad, people are fixing and selling them for crazy amounts. I tell people/freinds i know to let me know if anyone has a tractor they want gone cheep - most times it works- ive gotten quite a few that way.

If youre looking for something new - stay away from Craftsmans and certain Simplicities( craftsman built ones) - herd about more troubles /issues with new machines and service/warranty work is like pulling teeth to get em out to fix em.