Export thread

Motor locked up

T

Tweeder

At low idle for the past couple months there has been a noticeable rattle from the bottom end. I figured something is going or the pulley on the shaft was dented causing it. At high idle I couldn't hear it no more. Well the other day after mowing I was going up the drive to the garage, the engine seemed to load up and when I made it into the garage she went boom. Soooo the question is what is the average price parts wise for a rebuild? Rings, gaskets, bearings. Just trying to figure if it's worth rebuilding or replacing. Also if I do rebuild, any one put larger pistons or change the stroke for more hp?

B

Black Bart

At low idle for the past couple months there has been a noticeable rattle from the bottom end. I figured something is going or the pulley on the shaft was dented causing it. At high idle I couldn't hear it no more. Well the other day after mowing I was going up the drive to the garage, the engine seemed to load up and when I made it into the garage she went boom. Soooo the question is what is the average price parts wise for a rebuild? Rings, gaskets, bearings. Just trying to figure if it's worth rebuilding or replacing. Also if I do rebuild, any one put larger pistons or change the stroke for more hp?

IF it locked up you may have ruined the crank.
Boring and stroking will cost BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$ cheaper to buy another engine that is already larger

wjjones

wjjones

If it cracked the case/ block you will have to replace the engine.. Can you see anywhere the internals might have tried to come through the engine?

T

Tweeder

If it cracked the case/ block you will have to replace the engine.. Can you see anywhere the internals might have tried to come through the engine?

Not that I can see, theres no oil leaking either.

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

Personally, i just swap motors for a known good one, its easier first off and second, its ready to go - ive investigated some tractors with broken motors ive gotten ( tore the motors completely apart) - might look good outside, but some have been really torn up inside - depends what caused the motor to let loose in the first place.

If youre set on rebuilding it, id crack the motor open, thoroughly check inside after cleaning it ( for any hairline cracks) , then with the motor numbers check and see what a total rebuild kit would cost. I know a buddy of mine bot a piston, rod and rings for single cylender briggs he had for like $50 - a whole new crank would be more, might as well check the valves, ect, ect while in there.

Or could go on craigslist, find a tractor with say a broken trans but good motor pretty cheep and do some swapping for possibly half the cost of a rebuild or brand new motor.

T

Tweeder

Personally, i just swap motors for a known good one, its easier first off and second, its ready to go - ive investigated some tractors with broken motors ive gotten ( tore the motors completely apart) - might look good outside, but some have been really torn up inside - depends what caused the motor to let loose in the first place.

If youre set on rebuilding it, id crack the motor open, thoroughly check inside after cleaning it ( for any hairline cracks) , then with the motor numbers check and see what a total rebuild kit would cost. I know a buddy of mine bot a piston, rod and rings for single cylender briggs he had for like $50 - a whole new crank would be more, might as well check the valves, ect, ect while in there.

Or could go on craigslist, find a tractor with say a broken trans but good motor pretty cheep and do some swapping for possibly half the cost of a rebuild or brand new motor.

Yeah I was looking on ebay and seen a couple 20hp new on there but not a B&S. Should work providing they gave the same shaft if not I could find the same size pulley for that shaft.

T

Tweeder

I also have a 6 or 6.5 craftsman pusher with a good motor, would that work in t he mean time to get me by?

wjjones

wjjones

Have you checked on your local craigslist?

T

Tweeder

Have you checked on your local craigslist?

Small town, nothing here that new.

wjjones

wjjones

Small town, nothing here that new.

Had any luck locating an engine yet?

T

Tweeder

Had any luck locating an engine yet?

Haven't had a chance yet. I called sears to look for prices and they had a short block, but its been discontinued. The crank an connecting rod were just under $500. So I think I'm gonna look for a new motor as a used one might be problematic.

T

Tweeder

Thanks, but the ebay ones are a few hundred cheaper.

wjjones

wjjones

Thanks, but the ebay ones are a few hundred cheaper.

No problem hope you find the best deal you can..:smile:

B

benski

That little 6.5 wont be up to the task. A Kohler will bolt in to the hole if you can't find a Briggs. Otherwise, e-Bay or other sources, like a lawnmower shop nearby if you have one, will work. Don't forget shipping, etc.:eek:

T

Tweeder

Well got the motor torn down. Snapped the con rod in a couple places, looks to be a spun bearing. Also broke the gear wheel inside(not sure what its called). So I decided to scrap the motor all together. After looking at the prices at rebuilding and buying a new motor, for a few hundred more I think i'll just buy a new machine. Is there anywhere to post for sale parts on here?

B

benski

Well got the motor torn down. Snapped the con rod in a couple places, looks to be a spun bearing. Also broke the gear wheel inside(not sure what its called). So I decided to scrap the motor all together. After looking at the prices at rebuilding and buying a new motor, for a few hundred more I think i'll just buy a new machine. Is there anywhere to post for sale parts on here?

So far, unfortunately no. :frown:I think it would be a great idea to have a buy and sell, and parts wanted forum here on LMF!

B

benski

Given your geographic isolation, you probably made the right choice in just getting a new machine.:thumbsup: All part of the cost of living in such a beautiful part of the world.:biggrin:

T

Tweeder

Given your geographic isolation, you probably made the right choice in just getting a new machine.:thumbsup: All part of the cost of living in such a beautiful part of the world.:biggrin:

It wasn't that beautiful this year with all the rain. Then it's used to push snow.

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

Sounds like around here- used to be plenty of cheep used tractors for parts, now since the economy is bad, people are fixing and selling them for crazy amounts. I tell people/freinds i know to let me know if anyone has a tractor they want gone cheep - most times it works- ive gotten quite a few that way.

If youre looking for something new - stay away from Craftsmans and certain Simplicities( craftsman built ones) - herd about more troubles /issues with new machines and service/warranty work is like pulling teeth to get em out to fix em.

T

Tweeder

Did some calling around to the surrounding towns for prices and was quite surprised. I can get a replacement between $600 & $700. I think i'll go that route.

B

benski

Did some calling around to the surrounding towns for prices and was quite surprised. I can get a replacement between $600 & $700. I think i'll go that route.

:thumbsup:That's good! Less than buying (and shipping:eek:) a new mower, anyway.

T

Tweeder

well, she came in today. Got a question about the exhaust, the old one had an elbow into a slip in exhaust. The new one gas one bolted on the side like a pusher or snowblower does. Can I run it the way it is, or do I have to put on the old noisy exhaust?

K

KennyV

... Can I run it the way it is, or do I have to put on the old noisy exhaust?

If the Hot exhaust gasses are not directed toward something that won't take the heat... it should be fine with what is on it... :smile:KennyV

T

Tweeder

If the Hot exhaust gasses are not directed toward something that won't take the heat... it should be fine with what is on it... :smile:KennyV

Yeah, it came with a deflector to put on in what ever direction so i'll point it away. Thanks

wjjones

wjjones

Glad to hear you got it sorted out....:smile:....:thumbsup:..