Million Dollar Question????

Threads
Well here's the thing, everything was fine the first couple time. The septic too. So then all of a sudden we had all this rain. Most we have had in ky in 15 years. But anyways this is how I found out she had a busted septic tank. Now its is horrible. More than half the yard smells, is completely soaked with black water, and everything else. Most of the yard is like walking on a waterbed. This yard had turned into a nightmare. I have told her plenty of times something needed to be done. And she just blames the neighbours. I run a very respectable lawn service business and want to keep it that way. I go out of my way all the time for my clients and ask nothing in return. So for u to tell me to man up and stick to my agreement and take things in consideration, well how do u prepare for all of this, you know.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you're in business, constantly reviewing your current jobs is always a must. It is not a contract, unless it is in writing. If you mowed her lawn as you said you would, and recieved payment, then that is it. If you agreed this week to do it again two weeks from now, fine, then do it. If you don't like how the job has progressed, or there is more to it than you originally thought there was, you have the right to adjust the price, or in the OP's case, walk away from the job altogether. Obviously there was more to this job than the OP had anticipated.

Wagging your finger at him like a pompous jerk and saying "you shoulda known better" is BS. Everyone has gotten in a little too deep in these situations here and there - DAD. :rolleyes: I think the OP is under no obligation whatsoever to keep slogging through sewage and marshlands, if that is not what he originally agreed to do.

Cut him some freakin slack.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well here's the thing, everything was fine the first couple time. The septic too. So then all of a sudden we had all this rain. Most we have had in ky in 15 years. But anyways this is how I found out she had a busted septic tank. Now its is horrible. More than half the yard smells, is completely soaked with black water, and everything else. Most of the yard is like walking on a waterbed. This yard had turned into a nightmare. I have told her plenty of times something needed to be done. And she just blames the neighbours. I run a very respectable lawn service business and want to keep it that way. I go out of my way all the time for my clients and ask nothing in return. So for u to tell me to man up and stick to my agreement and take things in consideration, well how do u prepare for all of this, you know.

There it is - my point, Ric.

I feel for you, dude - as should be obvious........

Threads
She isn't a family member or friend or anything. She tells me that her son is coming over to fix the tank each time I bring this up to her. But Everytime I come back nothing has been done. Not even sure she has a son. It's one thing to clean all the grass out from under the deck which I do all the time, but its another thing when it has all her septic fluids mixed into it as well. Very very gross. I know what needs to be done and just want to do it the right way. Guys I really appreciate all of the great advice and hope I can help you guys one day in return. Thanks

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd tell her:

"Then, when he's done fixing the septic, he can mow your lawn, too" :laughing:

But, that's just me. :biggrin:

Good luck to you!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe even I would just tell her that you won't mow again until the Septic problem is fixed and she can call you to return when it has been taken care of.

That is just too big a mess and health risk for anyone to deal with ! :thumbdown:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you're in business, constantly reviewing your current jobs is always a must. It is not a contract, unless it is in writing. If you mowed her lawn as you said you would, and received payment, then that is it. If you agreed this week to do it again two weeks from now, fine, then do it. If you don't like how the job has progressed, or there is more to it than you originally thought there was, you have the right to adjust the price, or in the OP's case, walk away from the job altogether. Obviously there was more to this job than the OP had anticipated.

Wagging your finger at him like a pompous jerk and saying "you should of known better" is BS. Everyone has gotten in a little too deep in these situations here and there - DAD. :rolleyes: I think the OP is under no obligation whatsoever to keep slogging through sewage and marshlands, if that is not what he originally agreed to do.

Cut him some freakin slack.

If you're in business, constantly reviewing your current jobs is a must and what's this crap about a contract? Nobody said anything about a written contract, I said he contracted to do this Lady's lawn and you should have taken all the factors into consideration before he took the job, which he did written or verbal.

Twall as far as I know you're not in the business and you don't know what people you do work for are capable of, lets say he takes your advice and just walks away what's to prevent this lady from coming back on him and claiming he destroyed the septic system in some way amongst other things.

I'm not Wagging my finger at the guy and yes "he should of known better". The guy had an out when he discovered the busted septic system and he failed to take it when he should of. If I'm his customer or that lady I know who's going to fix my septic system and believe me this kinda stuff happens everyday -DAD :rolleyes:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Commercial & Residential Lawn Mowing Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
.....Twall as far as I know.......

You could've stopped right there, because you don't know ANYTHING about me, and you never WILL. You just assume because you read a profile and some posts, that you can make a stereotype outa me. Just STOP.

I, quite frankly, don't give a damn what that does to my reputation.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I, quite frankly, don't give a damn what that does to my reputation.

The thing is that the lawn care business is built on reputation and customer relations and something you had ---- well better care about if you are in business and something you clearly have no knowledge of if you don't give a ---- about your own reputation, which you already stated and with that attitude I doubt that you would care about some other person feelings or reputation.

It might be to this individuals benefit to offer to help with the situation instead of walking away like you're suggesting, word of mouth travels fast both good and bad and bad could cost his business in the future.

You say I don't know anything about you and you would be correct and believe me I know all I want to know about you.