Million Dollar Question????

Threads
Ok I have a lady that lives on SSI and right now she pays 40 bucks to cut her yard every 2 weeks. But here's the catch. We have had so much rain that in 2 weeks her lawn is so tall it takes forever to cut it. And I don't like leaving dead wet clumps laying around so I cut it around 4 times just to make it look good. Then after I'm done I have so much grass caked under and all over my mower I have to take it to the cleaners before I go to the next yard. I'm a good person and care about my clients but deep down I feel its better to just let her find a kid u needs the money. Oh and her septic tank is busted and her yard stays soaked too. Please give me some advice on how to handle this situation. Thanks

LandN

Threads
Ok I have a lady that lives on SSI and right now she pays 40 bucks to cut her yard every 2 weeks. But here's the catch. We have had so much rain that in 2 weeks her lawn is so tall it takes forever to cut it. And I don't like leaving dead wet clumps laying around so I cut it around 4 times just to make it look good. Then after I'm done I have so much grass caked under and all over my mower I have to take it to the cleaners before I go to the next yard. I'm a good person and care about my clients but deep down I feel its better to just let her find a kid u needs the money. Oh and her septic tank is busted and her yard stays soaked too. Please give me some advice on how to handle this situation. Thanks

I make it a point to not even consider a two week cut on 'anyone' during the wet, rainy, growing season unless the yard is a small city lot. You said most of the reasons why. you just have to pull the boot straps up and tell them to find someone who is better able to handle their situation,or you can find a cutter that can cut the yard and tell the owner that this person can better handle it. i have let clients go for a variety of reasons . dealing with the retail public is NOT easy for some business people to do. if you are cutting that yard 4 times to make it look good,you are missing TIME that could BE USED to cut other yards and making money.but you're still on the same yard for the 40 bucks.

Threads
I guess that's my weakness when it comes to this lil lady. I'm all about making all my yards look great but no matter what I can't with this one. It's to the point where I hate to cut this yard. I understand time is money. And actually I feel I loose money when it comes to this yard. I've decided to cut ties and move on. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about it without hurting her feelings. I've talked to a few lawn cares around here and all of them said that they just wouldn't go back. I can't just not show up, you know. I don't want to be in that category of being a "no show"

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I really appreciate your business/work ethic.

Why not tell her what you told us? It's a loss for you to do that job. If she doesn't get it, at least you told her - and you don't have to go back then, IMHO.

If she as well can't appreciate straightfoward honesty - then no matter what you say, she'll get her feelings hurt, I'm afraid.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I appreciate the work ethic too, but might look at it differently because I had an elderly mother with lawn care service, she would have been devistated if her lawn service quit. I also have an 85 year old neighbor who has little to no extra money.
If it is possible, I would probably just cut it every week and tell her it is only until the rain slows down and you won't charge more. Does she have a son or daughter you can talk to ? They might be willing to pay a little extra without telling her.

I guess I'm just too soft hearted about elderly on fixed income. I'm not doing it as a business, but good will goes a long way !

poncho62

Threads
Later in the season, the grass will likely only need to be cut once a month......Talk to her and arrange a plan where she pays by the season....keep track and maybe she can make a couple of extra payments once the season is over.....She can still make biweekly or monthly payments.....then all will even out

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The OP already said that he wants to get out of this nightmarish - sounding job. He just wants to be tasteful. Soft honesty is my vote. This guy apparently wants to run a business - not a church charity.

I am impressed he cares at all. Most businesspeople would've just dumped this lady. I say explaining the dilema to her will ease the getting out of it. After all, he says he has grown to hate this lawn. So, I believe it best to get out, rather than let soft spots ruin his equipment and profits. IMHO, he's gone above and beyond most by even posting this question to strangers - shows he actually cares.

If you are running a business, then run one. If you want to impress the churchfolk with your selfless deeds, then just keep doing it and shut up about it. I believe our OP is doing the former, admirably.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I appreciate the work ethic too, but might look at it differently because I had an elderly mother with lawn care service, she would have been devistated if her lawn service quit. I also have an 85 year old neighbor who has little to no extra money.
If it is possible, I would probably just cut it every week and tell her it is only until the rain slows down and you won't charge more. Does she have a son or daughter you can talk to ? They might be willing to pay a little extra without telling her.

I guess I'm just too soft hearted about elderly on fixed income. I'm not doing it as a business, but good will goes a long way !

I see your point, BK. However, the OP did not say this woman was a relative. We ALL have mothers. That doesn't change the plight this guy posted about. (if it were his mother, I'd say 'man up and cut the damned thing and be glad she's still around')

A leaking septic is terrible to deal with, even in the dry months (if we'll have any of those this year). Combine that with having to do it every two weeks, and I would want out, too.

If there is a son/daughter, let them have the pity and soft spots, and cut her lawn, while they are at it. I side this time with the poor guy who has to deal with a 'fixed income' that can't really afford to 'fix' much of anything.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I understand all of that, in my case, I was 8 + hours away and there was no lawn care equipment left at her house. This may be a similar situation for any of her children (if she has any) -- I don't know ! I told the guy doing my mother's lawn that if there were any problems with her lawn or payment that I would cover the extra without him charging her (just let me know) !

I agree the septic situation should be taken care of. YUCK ! :thumbdown: That should be up to the health department to deal with (report it ?).

I agree that this is all up to the person running the business and caring enough to try not to hurt feelings is great.

I guess I would discuss the whole situation with her and see what could be done -- not my business in this case -- so not my decision to make !

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Reputation in the lawn care business is everything so I guess the question is what type of business do you run and what type of reputation do you want to portray? You contracted to do this Lady's lawn and you should have taken all these factors into consideration before and when you took the job.

If things have changed on the premises and she has added trees or flower beds etc. then you may have a case to raise your price, but just because it has rained and the lawn is a little harder to cut or it may take a little longer is not justification to walk away from a job.

You say I'm a good person and care about my clients if so do the lady's lawn the way you said you would and the next time you give someone a quote or estimate on lawn service consider all the factors, not just how much money am I going to make.:thumbsup: