M-ZT 52 Review

Threads
Has Anyone added lights to their rig? I see that they have a light kit and a ROPS light kit but they are both extremely expensive for what they are. Any Ideas?
How about a DIY Canopy? Can a Generator be added to this thing?

Matt

This user did: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/djdicetn-albums-djdicetn-s-gravely-pro-turn-xdz-152.html :thumbsup:

gravely 1.jpg gravely 2.jpg gravely 3.jpg

...Ended up costing me a total of $36.72 plus tax(I returned the additional "wiring kit" because the light kit had all the wiring I needed) and some misc materials for wire routing & securing(nylon wire clamps & screws and nylon cable ties). I'll post pictures of the light kit and rocker switch below and here are the details of the materials, including the installation materials:
1)Blazer "Baja Tough" Driving Light Kit(55watt Halogen) Part#DF1088B-$19.99 which includes the necessary wiring and hardware for installation.
2)AutoCraft 30amp Rocker Switch(Red LED) Part#84840-$8.49
Both of the above purchased at Advance Auto Parts
3)Scotch(3M) Outdoor Mounting Tape(Two-sided adhesive tape holds up to 5lbs)-$4.27
4)Liquid Nails Adhesive(Home Projects For Extreme Temperature And Conditions) Part#LN-201-$3.97
Both of the above purchased at WalMart. The light kit came with mounting screws, but the best place to mount these lights was on the front of the gas tanks on each side just above the rear tires. Even though the plastic gas tanks are pretty thick I didn't want to take any chances. I cut the Scotch Adhesive tape to fit the inside of the light bracket(two pieces and two layers) and applied a small amount of the Liquid Nails on the light bracket, mounted the first two tape pieces to the bracket, applied a small amount of the Liquid Nail to that and applied the second set of pieces to the first pieces. Then I applied a small amount of Liquid Nail to the second layer of tape and pressed/mounted to the mower. I know this may sound a little strange....but it looks GREAT and it would take a crowbar to get those lights off my Gravely!!!!! I will post pics below of the light kit & rocker switch(drilled a hole in the plate where all of the controls are at for the mower and it mounted easily)....

MrMatt68

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the link to the other thread lawnmower fanatic. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the link to the other thread lawnmower fanatic. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

Yep, that's my Gravely and even though it mows so dadgum fast I've yet to be after dark mowing so I could use the lights....they are still waiting an opportunity to do some easy night-time mowing!!! I "highly" recommend that inexpensive light kit from Advance Auto Parts. Definitely all you need to mow after dark!!!

Maybe user lawn mower fanatic(since he's a "power user":0) can make my post a "sticky" for ZTR owners considering a light kit. Gravely(and probably the other brands too) wanted close to $200 for what cost me < $50. Just not worth that kind of money for how much most owners would use them.

P.S.
You mentioned a canopy and you'll notice in those picures lmf gave you a link to I've got one on my Gravely. I did spring the bucks for the Gravely Sunshade which was kinda pricey($199) but it is VERY good quality(and would fit any ZTR that has a ROPS) if you can't do better than $199. It's kinda off-white/greyish in color and is working out very well.

Threads

RatRacer

Threads

My only concern is a 30a switch on a 7a max, 4a constant, draw circuit= fried wiring before stuff blows. Needs a lower amp (10) in-line fuse protection, with all the bouncing around these things do.
And having mowed in the dark with lights, if there isn't a major difference in grass height (2+ in.) and you're not totally familiar with the terrain and cut pattern, it's not worth doing.

Last edited:
Threads
And having mowed in the dark with lights, if there isn't a major difference in grass height (2+ in.) and you're not totally familiar with the terrain and cut pattern, it's not worth doing.

Yeah I thought that might make it difficult, but I never needed to use my lights, yet.

mower light.jpg

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My only concern is a 30a switch on a 7a max, 4a constant, draw circuit= fried wiring before stuff blows. Needs a lower amp (10) in-line fuse protection, with all the bouncing around these things do.

RatRacer,

That's just the maximum load that this switch can handle. The light kit itself has an in-line fuse, which I believe is a 10amp fuse. I have contacted the manufacturer to find out what the amp load/draw is on an electrical system when these lights are being used since I can't seem to find that specific technical info in the product's literature. The guy at Advance Auto Parts told me it would be fine for a riding mower's electrical system but what does he know. As soon as I get some feedback I'll post it. And when I get home today, I'll check the in-line fuse and maybe put a lower amp fuse in the fuse holder. You made a good point.....I'd rather blow a fuse when mowing at night and it has a problem like a short or something than to compromise my entire electrical system on the Gravely.

I didn't get very good pictures of the coverage these lights give, but I would estimate that they light up an area at least 4-6 feet on each side of the deck and at least 20-25 feet out in front of the mower. they are REALLY bright and I wouldn't hesitate to mow after dark(even if it were a yard I was unfamiliar with the layout or terrain....although I'd probably mow a little slower:0)

P.S.
Even though your M-ZT 52's gas tanks are grey(not black like mine) those lights would still look really good on your ZTR.

tom-ky

Threads
RatRacer,

That's just the maximum load that this switch can handle. The light kit itself has an in-line fuse, which I believe is a 10amp fuse. I have contacted the manufacturer to find out what the amp load/draw is on an electrical system when these lights are being used since I can't seem to find that specific technical info in the product's literature. The guy at Advance Auto Parts told me it would be fine for a riding mower's electrical system but what does he know. As soon as I get some feedback I'll post it. And when I get home today, I'll check the in-line fuse and maybe put a lower amp fuse in the fuse holder. You made a good point.....I'd rather blow a fuse when mowing at night and it has a problem like a short or something than to compromise my entire electrical system on the Gravely.

I didn't get very good pictures of the coverage these lights give, but I would estimate that they light up an area at least 4-6 feet on each side of the deck and at least 20-25 feet out in front of the mower. they are REALLY bright and I wouldn't hesitate to mow after dark(even if it were a yard I was unfamiliar with the layout or terrain....although I'd probably mow a little slower:0)

P.S.
Even though your M-ZT 52's gas tanks are grey(not black like mine) those lights would still look really good on your ZTR.

All you need to do to figure the amperage is take the watts and divide by volts, if they are 55 watts lights each they will pull about 4.6 amps.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
All you need to do to figure the amperage is take the watts and divide by volts, if they are 55 watts lights each they will pull about 4.6 amps.

Hey man...thanks for that info. My dad was an electrician, but I had a bad experience with an electric worm rod when I was a kid and swore I'd never mess with the stuff. So I'm pretty "electrical-challenged" and had no idea the calculation was that easy. That's what I like about these forums....lots of folks here that are willing to teach me new things!!! So, I'm thinking that the 10amp in-line fuse on this light kit should be fine to protect my ZTR's electrical system.....right???