Export thread

M-ZT 52 Review

RatRacer

RatRacer

Since editing goes away after a time, I'll add posts as use progresses.

Today, the Big Dog's replacement finally shows...

After beating up the all local dealers, and discussing with my repair guy, I turned to the web for my prize. Nobody would come off MSRP, even though the "S" means suggested, plus delivery, set-up fee's, and of course, tax. That put my quarry above $6K when said and done. Web searches turned up several willing candidates, which Mowers4less (aka Salisbury Power Equip) in N.C. won out after several phone calls. They took 7 business days to ship, and 5 business days in transit, slow but it was free. This saved me $800+, unfortunately, not locally.

Today it arrived.
I'm not sure if they charge a set-up fee, or an uncrating fee. I'm going to send the crate pieces to Haiti and they will be almost like new.:confused2:
P5220007.jpg

It was in perfect condition. Good job guys.:thumbsup:
P5220010.jpg

P5220008.jpg

A look at the petinents
P5220012.jpg

P5220017.jpg

And, as much as I hate being in front of the lense, a size perspective
P5220020.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

It looks like a solid machine! :thumbsup:

Parkmower

Parkmower

Your gonna love that seat. It looks like the same one on my pz 7234. Good lookin machine.

RatRacer

RatRacer

Thanks Gents.
Tomorrow is drive day. I needed to get some bigger wrenches to turn the ROPS around. All the fluids were good, but the battery was dead. So gas, wrenches and hearing protection will go tomorrow to finish a shakedown

Your gonna love that seat. It looks like the same one on my pz 7234. Good lookin machine.

S

SCMCG

I may be changing my mind from the Gravely ZT52HD to this model. The only thing concerning me is it appears to sit up higher? Just wonder how it will "stick" on my couple side-hills I have to mow. I also wonder about the deck as I have a LOT of areas where most mowers will scalp just due to the lay of the land. is there any rollers or anything on the back side of this deck? Looks good, Congrats!

P.S. We leave next Thursday for Singer Island/Palm Beach Shores for a week. Can't wait to get outta Iowa LOL!

M

Moto110ky

I having a hard time finding any reviews on this mower. I have looked at all brands and from what I have seen this is this best mower for the price. The m-zt52 is $4995 from local dealer, pretty sure this is the mower I am going to buy but I am just waiting to here from other owners.

RatRacer

RatRacer

I may be changing my mind from the Gravely ZT52HD to this model. The only thing concerning me is it appears to sit up higher? Just wonder how it will "stick" on my couple side-hills I have to mow. I also wonder about the deck as I have a LOT of areas where most mowers will scalp just due to the lay of the land. is there any rollers or anything on the back side of this deck? Looks good, Congrats!

P.S. We leave next Thursday for Singer Island/Palm Beach Shores for a week. Can't wait to get outta Iowa LOL!

The seat bottom ( where you place your butt) is 31" off the ground. There are 3 front AS rollers only, but the Big Dog had the same configuration, and handled the areas my JD would scalp without doing so.
You'll be about 60 miles from me, on vaca. Enjoy, as it's gettin hot and humid.:thumbsup:
untitled.jpg

I having a hard time finding any reviews on this mower. I have looked at all brands and from what I have seen this is this best mower for the price. The m-zt52 is $4995 from local dealer, pretty sure this is the mower I am going to buy but I am just waiting to here from other owners.

I know, and that is exactly why I'm doing this. It's because is such a new model. That's a darn good price, as my local dealers wouldn't budge off MSRP, even for a stack of Benjamins in hand, instead of financing. They'd waive set-up and delivery though. Whenever this dang battery gets done charging, I'll be able get on the use part of this review, that thing was deader than a door nail. (what is a door nail, and do they relliy die?:laughing:)

M

Moto110ky

Thanks. I am really looking forward to what you have to say. I also found this mower in tn. For $4700 but by the time I drive 2 1/2 hours it is the same money. Check out sleequipment.com

djdicetn

djdicetn

SCMCG,
I think that user RatRacer made a good decision between the M-ZT 52 and that Big Dog Powerbar ZTR, and I am impressed with this Huskie for the money. The differences between it and the Gravely ZT HD have pluses/minuses on both sides. Below I will list the differences that I consider worth mentioning and my "opinion" of which ZTR has the "plus advantage":

Engine:Huskie Briggs Endurance Commerical/Gravely Kawasaki FR730V-Pretty even, but I give a slight plus to the ZT HD
Gas Tank:Huskie 5 Gal/Gravely 6 Gal-Very "minimal" plus for the ZT HD
Trannies:Huskie ZT-3400/Gravely ZT-3100-Plus for the M-ZT 52
Deck:Huskie 11Gauge w/link suspension/Gravely 10Gauge w/chain suspension-Plus for ZT HD
Cutting Height Settings:Huskie 1.5"-4.5"/Gravely 1"-5"-Plus ZT HD
Anti-Scalp Rollers:Huskie 3(wide nose roller) and single braces/Gravely 6(2 single wheels on front s/a 1 wide nose on Huskie) and 2 in rear with double braces-Plus for the ZT HD
Blade Tip Speed:Huskie 19,000 fpm/Gravely 18,000 fpm-Plus for M-ZT 52
Rear Tires:Huskie 23 X 9.5 X 12/Gravely 20 X 10 X 10-Plus for M-ZT 52
Weight:Huskie 760lbs/Gravely 832lbs-Plus for ZT HD
Speed:Huskie 10mph/Gravely 8mph-Plus M-ZT52(due to ZT-3400 tranny)
Warranties:I assume the Huskie 3Year includes spindles where Gravely has specific 3year spindle warranty. Also no "hours" that I can find for Huskie and the Gravely is 1,000(if reached before 3year/Residential or 1year/Commercial). I again, assume 3Year on Frame/Deck for Huskie where Gravely has 5Year Frame/Deck-Slight plus for ZT HD..

Like I said....all things considered these two ZTR's compare favorably overall with one or the other having their own pluses/minuses. It would really depend on whether some of the "pluses" are more important to you than the others. Sometimes comparing ZTR's without an excel spreadsheet to sort out the differences is a real challenge for someone looking to buy one. I think I can safely say that user Ratracer will only have good things to say about the Husqvarna M-ZT 52 and an owner of a Gravely ZT HD 52 would be the same. We never said that your decision was going to be an easy one:0)

RatRacer

RatRacer

Thanks. I am really looking forward to what you have to say. I also found this mower in tn. For $4700 but by the time I drive 2 1/2 hours it is the same money. Check out sleequipment.com

I was all over them like fly's on crap, since they're the only place that has youtube vid's. I talked to them several times, but I was leary of their "local shipping charge" of $225 to a trucking terminal. All the trucking companies I deal with "come to me" to pick up freight, so I suspect it's a hokie termed pocket paddder.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I was all over them like fly's on crap, since they're the only place that has youtube vid's. I talked to them several times, but I was leary of their "local shipping charge" of $225 to a trucking terminal. All the trucking companies I deal with "come to me" to pick up freight, so I suspect it's a hokie termed pocket paddder.

Hey...that dealer Moto110ky is talking about must be Southern Lawn Equipment in Nashville, TN!! They have a local reputation of performing a little "smoke & mirrors" or "nut shell games" with customers. Be careful with them!!!!

M

Moto110ky

Just to be clear , I am not reccomending sle in Nashville I was just reffering to the low price on the mowers.I thought something was strange though because some mowers they will deliver for the $225 but others are local pick-up only. That will be a helpfull post for future user. Thanks djdicetn

S

SCMCG

LOL, good to know as I was considering them(sle). I am finding a good price from eastern truck equip in Maryland but they are out of the 52 and only have the 61". Does Mowers4less finance?

RatRacer

RatRacer

LOL, good to know as I was considering them(sle). I am finding a good price from eastern truck equip in Maryland but they are out of the 52 and only have the 61". Does Mowers4less finance?

Yes, through Sheffield. That's what I did.

Well I got it fired up, and moved it. That caused one of the tranny reservoirs to empty out, guess it wasn't fully burped. Got some oil on the way home tonight, to refill and drive tomorrow.

K

krackle

Just a question and it may be dumb, but if you buy and get it shipped. What if something goes wrong because the owner put something together wrong...Would that still be covered under warranty?

RatRacer

RatRacer

Just a question and it may be dumb, but if you buy and get it shipped. What if something goes wrong because the owner put something together wrong...Would that still be covered under warranty?

Not a dumb question.
It is impossible, as this comes completely assembled. The only things you need to do (after uncrating) is turn the roll bar around, check fluids, check tire air pressures, add gas, verify bade height, connect the neg. terminal on battery (and charge if needed) and adjust the seat and lap bars to your liking. Easy novice stuff. Once you register the warranty info, it doesn't matter where you bought it, Husqvarna's local contractor is who carries out the repairs. I made sure to inquire as to how it all works before I bought. And, I made sure I also had a contingency repair person on stand by, just in case.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Not a dumb question.
It is impossible, as this comes completely assembled. The only things you need to do (after uncrating) is turn the roll bar around, check fluids, check tire air pressures, add gas, verify bade height, connect the neg. terminal on battery (and charge if needed) and adjust the seat and lap bars to your liking. Easy novice stuff. Once you register the warranty info, it doesn't matter where you bought it, Husqvarna's local contractor is who carries out the repairs. I made sure to inquire as to how it all works before I bought. And, I made sure I also had a contingency repair person on stand by, just in case.

That sounds like me...currently replacing my dead home computer(2005 Compaq Presario RIP since last Saturday). So now I'm straddling the fence between a new Windows PC or investing in a Mac computer(that costs twice as much). Since I'm retiring this coming October I want something that's gonna last and am preparing(like you did) for the week following bringing the new one home and trying to get back to "where I was last Friday":0)

S

SCMCG

Yes, through Sheffield. That's what I did.

Well I got it fired up, and moved it. That caused one of the tranny reservoirs to empty out, guess it wasn't fully burped. Got some oil on the way home tonight, to refill and drive tomorrow.
Well, how does it mow?:biggrin:

RatRacer

RatRacer

Well, how does it mow?:biggrin:

Lol.
After much wheeling & dealing I got it home from work yesterday. It's inaugural run is this morning at 9:30 am.

RatRacer

RatRacer

Well, the first mow is in the books.
This thing is frickin' AWESOME! After blowing off the cobwebs of my 15yr hiatus of using the sticks, popping on my mp3 playing NRR23 range protectors, we got down to playin' some high speed tank commander.
First, the seat. A very nice faux leather over a high & medium gel foam mix that is conforming and comfortable on the bottom, as well as shock absorbent. Arm rests are too low to use while mowing, but nicely contoured when you stop for a drink.
Second, the build. I had this thing in my swale's, maneuvering all over the inclines and culvert, and the frame didn't even flex a scoche. My JD would flex wildly, popping wheels off the ground. I'd almost dare to match this construction to Hustler's.
Third, the speed. 10mph is the cats meow for all the open ground I needed to cover (cut my neighbors yard too). Even though I have the ROPS down, putting on the seat belt really helped keep me firmly planted in the seat with all the minor bumps and inclines. With the speed, there times I was bucked up, causing momentary pressure switch cutoff, even my 200+lb rear before buckling up.

The 28hp Briggs Endurance runs smoothly, has very good pull and moves this 700+ lb beast pretty non-laboriously up some decent inclines. We'll see after we get some hours on it, if it keeps its perfomance.

The annoying niggles:
The sticks have a squeak at the joints where they meet at the dampeners. Will fix with some of my moly/silicone grease blend I concocted. The faux gas tank side, where the control panel is, is mounted kind of loose and has minor rattling. Will find way to affix better.
All the grease points and service areas are very easily accessible, so maintenance will be a breeze. A lot of design thought went into this machine, and I'm sure it will allow for a very long life.

2 thumbs up here.
Would recommend, and buy again.

M

Moto110ky

:licking: Been waiting two days here how it went. You got me all pumped up and can't wait to get one . Going over to the dealer in the morning to hash out my deal. With 28 horses it should not bog in the tall grass and I am really glad to here that the frame does not flex. Thanks. Hope to have mine next time I post.:thumbsup:

S

SCMCG

Awesome! glad you like it! I have decided to make an offer on a Country Clipper, but if I can't get it done this machine will take it's place. Thanks for the info it has helped a lot!

M

Moto110ky

:licking: Been waiting two days here how it went. You got me all pumped up and can't wait to get one . Going over to the dealer in the morning to hash out my deal. With 28 horses it should not bog in the tall grass and I am really glad to here that the frame does not flex. Thanks. Hope to have mine next time I post.:thumbsup:

Going to pick it up in the morning. $5298 out the door and sales staff was super at southern indiana equipment.

M

Moto110ky

:thumbsup:
Going to pick it up in the morning. $5298 out the door and sales staff was super at southern indiana equipment.

I got to run her through her paces the last couple of days and though I knew it would be faster and easier I had no idea what I was missing. This thing is freaking awesome!!!! I have nothing but praise for it so far. With the 19000 rpm blade speed I get so much more lift than my saber and my yard looks great. Thanks to all of you for helping me make the choice to buy this mower.:cool:

RatRacer

RatRacer

:thumbsup:

I got to run her through her paces the last couple of days and though I knew it would be faster and easier I had no idea what I was missing. This thing is freaking awesome!!!! I have nothing but praise for it so far. With the 19000 rpm blade speed I get so much more lift than my saber and my yard looks great. Thanks to all of you for helping me make the choice to buy this mower.:cool:

Glad you like it!

two-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

M

Moto110ky

I have put a few hours on her now and have a couple of concerns. The first thing I already fixed , the discharge chute did not drop low enough causing the grass to blow back up at me . I just trimmed the rubber on the back side and it drops down now. The other thing is that the left drive motor seems to be a lot louder and have almost a chatter to it. If any of you have any input I would love to here it. Thanks

RatRacer

RatRacer

I have put a few hours on her now and have a couple of concerns. The first thing I already fixed , the discharge chute did not drop low enough causing the grass to blow back up at me . I just trimmed the rubber on the back side and it drops down now. The other thing is that the left drive motor seems to be a lot louder and have almost a chatter to it. If any of you have any input I would love to here it. Thanks

Hmmmmm....interesting.
My chute came fitting perfect. Since it's a molded rubber product, I can see there being slight deviations that occur during molding processes. But a tranny chattering, I'll have to look/listen into that. I typically wear NRR23 electronic ear protection w/mp3 imput while mowing, and jamming on it to hear anything else. Plus I'm cutting a half acre, so I'm done in 20 minutes now to avoid our daily downpours.

RatRacer

RatRacer

Hey Moto110-
I just got done my yard, sans hearing protection. I did not experience the chatter you indicate. Mine is a little more hydro-whiny than I thought, but nothing out of the ordinary.

J

Jehelam

Could someone please measure how deep the deck is? I can't find this spec anywhere. Much obliged.

J

Jehelam

Could someone please measure how deep the deck is? I can't find this spec anywhere. Much obliged.

Found a dealer an hour from me. Just went and measured. It's 4".

M

MrMatt68

Looking to purchase M-ZT 52

Thank you for the review. After alot of research and talking with various dealers both locally and in other states i have decided to purchase the M-ZT 52 and hope that it'll last a lifetime on a little more than 2 acres if maintained every season. The husqvarna brand seemed to be a very good deal compared to the Scag freedom Z 48" which is in the 5500 dollars range plus tax and finance charges. The M-ZT has the rz3400 transmission vs. the rv3100 on the scag freedom z. The weights seemed comparable between the 2 and the mzt is a bigger machine than the freedom. The Freedom Z may be a better deal in the long run but since this is my first zero turn i decided on the cheaper MZT. You guys that have had your machines for a while now; are you still happy with them and would you still purchase them again? Moto110 have you had any issues with the motor?

Thanks for any input or advice you guys have,

Matt

RatRacer

RatRacer

Re: Looking to purchase M-ZT 52

Thank you for the review. After alot of research and talking with various dealers both locally and in other states i have decided to purchase the M-ZT 52 and hope that it'll last a lifetime on a little more than 2 acres if maintained every season. The husqvarna brand seemed to be a very good deal compared to the Scag freedom Z 48" which is in the 5500 dollars range plus tax and finance charges. The M-ZT has the rz3400 transmission vs. the rv3100 on the scag freedom z. The weights seemed comparable between the 2 and the mzt is a bigger machine than the freedom. The Freedom Z may be a better deal in the long run but since this is my first zero turn i decided on the cheaper MZT. You guys that have had your machines for a while now; are you still happy with them and would you still purchase them again? Moto110 have you had any issues with the motor?

Matt

You're welcome, and welcome Matt.
Yes, I would purchase again. Driving this machine is fun, and I actually look forward to using it, as opposed to "doing a dreaded chore" when using my JD tractor.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Matt

I don't think you'll regret for a minute investing in the "less expensive" M-ZT52(I prefer that term to "cheaper":0)
In fact, if they had carried the M-ZT52 model in 2012 I would have been very tempted to buy it rather than the more expensive Commercial ZTR that I bought. I don't have any "regrets" in buying the Gravely, but the 2012 Husqvarna ZTR's that I had considered simply didn't have the bang-for-your-buck that the M-ZT52 has.

M

MrMatt68

I ordered the m-zt 52 today and should take delivery
Early next week. Can someone explain high lift blades and
What they are for? I have also heard reference to another
Type of blade but I do not remember what they were called.
Would this lawnmower have any trouble pulling a 5 x 10 trailer
With maybe 200 lbs on it? Would you do it if so?

Thank again,

Matt

J

Jehelam

High lift blades create more airflow, making the grass stand up better and discharging clippings further. Down side is wet grass may cake under the deck more. So with mulching or bagger with blower, this may not be the best choice.

You should have no trouble with that trailer. I frequently pull a dump cart and aerator weighing about that much with a much lesser machine.

T

tom-ky

How well does the M-ZT 52 handle slopes?

M

MrMatt68

Has Anyone added lights to their rig? I see that they have a light kit and a ROPS light kit but they are both extremely expensive for what they are. Any Ideas?
How about a DIY Canopy? Can a Generator be added to this thing?

Matt

RatRacer

RatRacer

How well does the M-ZT 52 handle slopes?

Its stance does pretty good on slopes. I cut my neighbors slope that he won't venture with his tractor. They built his house so close to the property line, that they mounded the pad past the property line, which is halfway up the slope on the left where the green stops. This is about 18 degrees. My side, majority of the pic, is about 13.

Pic is from the Big Dog cutting demo.
P4270007-19.jpg

Has Anyone added lights to their rig? I see that they have a light kit and a ROPS light kit but they are both extremely expensive for what they are. Any Ideas?

Matt

Not yet, but I am going to. I'll probably use some Cree LED bulb-ed, surface mounted driving lights off Ebay. I'll tap them into the existing system, since they're a low amp draw. I'm undecided about leaving the ROPS mounted at this point, because of the options to mount lights and a canopy to it is too handy, but considering for weight savings. I only use the seat belt when I'm running at full 10 mph forward, to keep my butt planted in the seat when hitting mole tunnels.

Where did you order the 52 from?

M

MrMatt68

Where did you order the 52 from?

I ordered from mowers for less in NC as they had the best price and they are going to drive it to my house and show me how to operate for less than the place in tenn. that didn't seem to honest. (Although they were still less than local). None of the local dealers wanted to come off MSRP price any and I couldn't afford 6000.00 total but was willing to pay them than 5400 to buy locally but that wasn't enough for them so I went with the guys in NC.

Waiting on bank to deposit money in their account and hope to take delivery Wednesday or Thursday next week.

Matt

RatRacer

RatRacer

I ordered from mowers for less in NC as they had the best price and they are going to drive it to my house and show me how to operate for less than the place in tenn. that didn't seem to honest. (Although they were still less than local). None of the local dealers wanted to come off MSRP price any and I couldn't afford 6000.00 total but was willing to pay them than 5400 to buy locally but that wasn't enough for them so I went with the guys in NC.

Waiting on bank to deposit money in their account and hope to take delivery Wednesday or Thursday next week.

Matt

That's who I got mine from too. For some reason, it took them 2 weeks to ship after they rec'd payment, by a really slow carrier that could barely fit it in their truck. I didn't complain too much since it was free. I had the same issue with my local dealers not coming off msrp, only cutting deals on delivery and prep charges. But it arrived unscathed, and I saved $800. And it totally rocks! Glad I risked it.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Matt

This user did: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/djdicetn-albums-djdicetn-s-gravely-pro-turn-xdz-152.html :thumbsup:

gravely 1.jpg gravely 2.jpg gravely 3.jpg

...Ended up costing me a total of $36.72 plus tax(I returned the additional "wiring kit" because the light kit had all the wiring I needed) and some misc materials for wire routing & securing(nylon wire clamps & screws and nylon cable ties). I'll post pictures of the light kit and rocker switch below and here are the details of the materials, including the installation materials:
1)Blazer "Baja Tough" Driving Light Kit(55watt Halogen) Part#DF1088B-$19.99 which includes the necessary wiring and hardware for installation.
2)AutoCraft 30amp Rocker Switch(Red LED) Part#84840-$8.49
Both of the above purchased at Advance Auto Parts
3)Scotch(3M) Outdoor Mounting Tape(Two-sided adhesive tape holds up to 5lbs)-$4.27
4)Liquid Nails Adhesive(Home Projects For Extreme Temperature And Conditions) Part#LN-201-$3.97
Both of the above purchased at WalMart. The light kit came with mounting screws, but the best place to mount these lights was on the front of the gas tanks on each side just above the rear tires. Even though the plastic gas tanks are pretty thick I didn't want to take any chances. I cut the Scotch Adhesive tape to fit the inside of the light bracket(two pieces and two layers) and applied a small amount of the Liquid Nails on the light bracket, mounted the first two tape pieces to the bracket, applied a small amount of the Liquid Nail to that and applied the second set of pieces to the first pieces. Then I applied a small amount of Liquid Nail to the second layer of tape and pressed/mounted to the mower. I know this may sound a little strange....but it looks GREAT and it would take a crowbar to get those lights off my Gravely!!!!! I will post pics below of the light kit & rocker switch(drilled a hole in the plate where all of the controls are at for the mower and it mounted easily)....

M

MrMatt68

Thanks for the link to the other thread lawnmower fanatic. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Thanks for the link to the other thread lawnmower fanatic. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

Let us know if you decide to get any lights! :thumbsup:

djdicetn

djdicetn

Yep, that's my Gravely and even though it mows so dadgum fast I've yet to be after dark mowing so I could use the lights....they are still waiting an opportunity to do some easy night-time mowing!!! I "highly" recommend that inexpensive light kit from Advance Auto Parts. Definitely all you need to mow after dark!!!

Maybe user lawn mower fanatic(since he's a "power user":0) can make my post a "sticky" for ZTR owners considering a light kit. Gravely(and probably the other brands too) wanted close to $200 for what cost me < $50. Just not worth that kind of money for how much most owners would use them.

P.S.
You mentioned a canopy and you'll notice in those picures lmf gave you a link to I've got one on my Gravely. I did spring the bucks for the Gravely Sunshade which was kinda pricey($199) but it is VERY good quality(and would fit any ZTR that has a ROPS) if you can't do better than $199. It's kinda off-white/greyish in color and is working out very well.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Maybe user lawn mower fanatic(since he's a "power user":0) can make my post a "sticky" for ZTR owners considering a light kit. Gravely(and probably the other brands too) wanted close to $200 for what cost me < $50. Just not worth that kind of money for how much most owners would use them.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/build-yourself/18564-ztr-light-kit.html

RatRacer

RatRacer

My only concern is a 30a switch on a 7a max, 4a constant, draw circuit= fried wiring before stuff blows. Needs a lower amp (10) in-line fuse protection, with all the bouncing around these things do.
And having mowed in the dark with lights, if there isn't a major difference in grass height (2+ in.) and you're not totally familiar with the terrain and cut pattern, it's not worth doing.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

And having mowed in the dark with lights, if there isn't a major difference in grass height (2+ in.) and you're not totally familiar with the terrain and cut pattern, it's not worth doing.

Yeah I thought that might make it difficult, but I never needed to use my lights, yet.

mower light.jpg

djdicetn

djdicetn

My only concern is a 30a switch on a 7a max, 4a constant, draw circuit= fried wiring before stuff blows. Needs a lower amp (10) in-line fuse protection, with all the bouncing around these things do.

RatRacer,

That's just the maximum load that this switch can handle. The light kit itself has an in-line fuse, which I believe is a 10amp fuse. I have contacted the manufacturer to find out what the amp load/draw is on an electrical system when these lights are being used since I can't seem to find that specific technical info in the product's literature. The guy at Advance Auto Parts told me it would be fine for a riding mower's electrical system but what does he know. As soon as I get some feedback I'll post it. And when I get home today, I'll check the in-line fuse and maybe put a lower amp fuse in the fuse holder. You made a good point.....I'd rather blow a fuse when mowing at night and it has a problem like a short or something than to compromise my entire electrical system on the Gravely.

I didn't get very good pictures of the coverage these lights give, but I would estimate that they light up an area at least 4-6 feet on each side of the deck and at least 20-25 feet out in front of the mower. they are REALLY bright and I wouldn't hesitate to mow after dark(even if it were a yard I was unfamiliar with the layout or terrain....although I'd probably mow a little slower:0)

P.S.
Even though your M-ZT 52's gas tanks are grey(not black like mine) those lights would still look really good on your ZTR.

T

tom-ky

RatRacer,

That's just the maximum load that this switch can handle. The light kit itself has an in-line fuse, which I believe is a 10amp fuse. I have contacted the manufacturer to find out what the amp load/draw is on an electrical system when these lights are being used since I can't seem to find that specific technical info in the product's literature. The guy at Advance Auto Parts told me it would be fine for a riding mower's electrical system but what does he know. As soon as I get some feedback I'll post it. And when I get home today, I'll check the in-line fuse and maybe put a lower amp fuse in the fuse holder. You made a good point.....I'd rather blow a fuse when mowing at night and it has a problem like a short or something than to compromise my entire electrical system on the Gravely.

I didn't get very good pictures of the coverage these lights give, but I would estimate that they light up an area at least 4-6 feet on each side of the deck and at least 20-25 feet out in front of the mower. they are REALLY bright and I wouldn't hesitate to mow after dark(even if it were a yard I was unfamiliar with the layout or terrain....although I'd probably mow a little slower:0)

P.S.
Even though your M-ZT 52's gas tanks are grey(not black like mine) those lights would still look really good on your ZTR.

All you need to do to figure the amperage is take the watts and divide by volts, if they are 55 watts lights each they will pull about 4.6 amps.

djdicetn

djdicetn

All you need to do to figure the amperage is take the watts and divide by volts, if they are 55 watts lights each they will pull about 4.6 amps.

Hey man...thanks for that info. My dad was an electrician, but I had a bad experience with an electric worm rod when I was a kid and swore I'd never mess with the stuff. So I'm pretty "electrical-challenged" and had no idea the calculation was that easy. That's what I like about these forums....lots of folks here that are willing to teach me new things!!! So, I'm thinking that the 10amp in-line fuse on this light kit should be fine to protect my ZTR's electrical system.....right???

RatRacer

RatRacer

Initial turn on draw will exceed that, the 4.6A is the constant load. Times the constant by 1.5 for start load.

Hey man...thanks for that info. My dad was an electrician, but I had a bad experience with an electric worm rod when I was a kid and swore I'd never mess with the stuff. So I'm pretty "electrical-challenged" and had no idea the calculation was that easy. That's what I like about these forums....lots of folks here that are willing to teach me new things!!! So, I'm thinking that the 10amp in-line fuse on this light kit should be fine to protect my ZTR's electrical system.....right???

Ok, that's cool then. That little tidbit of info was left out of your kit description. 20yrs in electric supply makes me think about that stuff.

T

tom-ky

I would run a 15 amp fuse.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I would run a 15 amp fuse.

Yep, after doing the math following user RatRacer's added "start-up" info it comes out to about a 13.5amp load when they are turned on. A 15amp fuse may be the appropriate protection and prevent blowing the 10amp fuses regularly(although the 10-12 times I've used the lights parking the ZTR after cleaning it hasn't posed a problem when I flipped the switch). Thanks guys for helping me make sure I don't inadvertantly tear up my new ZTR!!!!!

M

MrMatt68

Well I picked up my mower at the nc line today instead of it being delivered to my house as we had discussed before I signed papers. I was a little frustrated having to drive 170 miles round trip before work but for 1000.00 less than buying local I agreed to meet them. Anyway I managed to get off it the trailer and commence to training on this beast and after running over a yoshino cherry tree and a small stand of zebra grass I finally got the hang of it and absolutely love this thing and would recommend it. It's fun to cut grass after all as some of you have already stated.

Thanks again for all the information.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Well I picked up my mower at the nc line today instead of it being delivered
To my house as we had discussed before I signed papers. A little frustrated
Having to drive 170 miles round trip before work but for 1000.00 less than
Buying local I agreed to meet them. Anyway I managed to get off trailer and
Commence to traing on this beast and after running over a yoshino cherry tree
And a small stand of zebra grass I finally got the hang of it and absolutely love
This thing and would recommend it. It's fun to cut grass after all as some of you
Have already stated.

Congrats! :thumbsup::thumbsup: we want pictures.gif

djdicetn

djdicetn

Well I picked up my mower at the nc line today instead of it being delivered to my house as we had discussed before I signed papers. I was a little frustrated having to drive 170 miles round trip before work but for 1000.00 less than buying local I agreed to meet them. Anyway I managed to get off it the trailer and commence to training on this beast and after running over a yoshino cherry tree and a small stand of zebra grass I finally got the hang of it and absolutely love this thing and would recommend it. It's fun to cut grass after all as some of you have already stated.

Yeah, take it kinda slow until you get the feel for the way ZTR's handle..........my maiden voyage took out my wife's 200lb wishing well:0)
If I hadn't bought a Commercial grade machine it would have been bad news for a 15 minute ZTR owner:0(

RatRacer

RatRacer

Congrats Matt!

Sounds par for the course on their service. Yeah, there is an immense savings and they know it. So its like they oblige themselves on delivery services fraught with shoddiness and inconvenience.

M

MrMatt68

This evening I found a wasp nest and yellow jacket nest! I guess I was venturing to far away from the house but it sure is fun cutting the tall stuff. Also I found a pile of hay bale strings so tomorrow I have to raise mower and cut those off....luckily they didn't lock up any of the blades!

Matt

C

Cadmium

So I am interested in hearing some opinions on how those with the M-ZT 52 believe that it handles thicker grass. I am in the market for zero turn and have a little over an acre to mow. The grass tends to stay pretty thick in a few places and I was hoping some that have the mower would be able to chime in on how the deck handles larger amounts of grass and if it does a pretty good job at dispersing the clippings over a large area?

I have seriously considered a John Deere z915b full commercial unit but I feel 7k is a bit too much to spend for only having about an acre to mow and if I can get away with a 5k dollar machine Id much prefer it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

RatRacer

RatRacer

So I am interested in hearing some opinions on how those with the M-ZT 52 believe that it handles thicker grass. I am in the market for zero turn and have a little over an acre to mow. The grass tends to stay pretty thick in a few places and I was hoping some that have the mower would be able to chime in on how the deck handles larger amounts of grass and if it does a pretty good job at dispersing the clippings over a large area?

I have seriously considered a John Deere z915b full commercial unit but I feel 7k is a bit too much to spend for only having about an acre to mow and if I can get away with a 5k dollar machine Id much prefer it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome to LMF Cadmium.

This thing plows through thick broad bladed grass. My lawn is Floritam, a hybrid of St. Augustine centipede type grass, but more drought tolerant. There was slight engine bog in the really dense areas where the soil is imported fill over the local grey sand. I cut to 3.75in, and the grass was a touch over 6in, with an open chute. I would have double cut that with my 17hp Deere, or if this had a mulch kit. The B&S is not a torque monster like a Kawi, but it does a decent job and runs smooth so far. If the grass was taller, I would just take a smaller bite. With 10 mph at your disposal with the ZT-3400's, you'll still get done a lot quicker. It does throw some clumps in the dense areas, but an extra pass disperses them nicely. Nothing cut comes out looking like its ready to be baled, just a fine confetti type cut.

C

Cadmium

So a fairly local dealer ended up having a pz-t 4822 demo model they were offering for the same price as a new m-zt 52, so I jumped on it considering they were offering it also with the full warranty, its a 2012 so according to the manual its probably the same deck as on the m-zt at 11 gauge but a 1.5-5 inch adjustment and the same zt-3400 transmissions but a Kawasaki FX651v motor. Just tried mowing for the first time today and it managed to empty an entire 5.5 gallon fuel tank in 40 minutes. Needless to say the dealer is coming to pick it back up on Monday to try to figure out what is going wrong with it. Other than the astoundingly poor fuel economy it cut the grass pretty well and is quite quick as I was getting quite a bit done once I got use to the steering after a couple minutes. I gotta say though if they try to tell me that its normal fuel usage it probably wont be coming back. Just wondering what kinda fuel consumption you guys are seeing on the Briggs motors?

RatRacer

RatRacer

So a fairly local dealer ended up having a pz-t 4822 demo model they were offering for the same price as a new m-zt 52, so I jumped on it considering they were offering it also with the full warranty, its a 2012 so according to the manual its probably the same deck as on the m-zt at 11 gauge but a 1.5-5 inch adjustment and the same zt-3400 transmissions but a Kawasaki FX651v motor. Just tried mowing for the first time today and it managed to empty an entire 5.5 gallon fuel tank in 40 minutes. Needless to say the dealer is coming to pick it back up on Monday to try to figure out what is going wrong with it. Other than the astoundingly poor fuel economy it cut the grass pretty well and is quite quick as I was getting quite a bit done once I got use to the steering after a couple minutes. I gotta say though if they try to tell me that its normal fuel usage it probably wont be coming back. Just wondering what kinda fuel consumption you guys are seeing on the Briggs motors?

Wow, I'm jealous! That's a steal! Should have a better seat too.
I get at least 4 1/2 acre cuts out of the 5gal tank, with each cut being 20-30 minutes depending on how close I frame around the house. The 52" Big Dog I trialed with a Kawi had 3 cuts on it before I returned it, with a 5gal fill. I hope they figure it out for you.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I agree with user RatRacer in that if you paid approx. $5500 for that ZTR you got a good deal. But, my research on the Husqvarna website yielded this model(actually a P-ZT4822FS / 966613301 according to the manual I found) being sold in 2010-2011, so I don't think you got a 2012 model like you were told:0( How many "hours" does it show on the dashboard???

That being said, it shows an 11gal tank, so I would have to ask if you are 101% certain that that particular tank was COMPLETELY full when you started??? And....how much "area" did you cut before it ran out??? That Kawasaki FX651V is "very similar" to the FX691V that is on my Gravely(22hp...mine is 726CC and I don't see the actual "size" in your manual). I have been tracking my fuel usage over the last dozen mowings and I am mowing approx. 1.5 acres on exactly 1 gallon of "non-ethanol 89 octane" gasoline. I would HIGHLY recommend, if it is available in your area, that you NOT use ethanol gasoline in that ZTR and run the mid-grade(89 octane) non-ethanol gasoline ONLY!!! I even add StaBil gas treatment to mine in every tankful just to be extra cautious. If this ZTR has been using ethanol gasoline I'll bet a dime to a dollar that is contributing to the bad fuel economy and I'm surprised that if stored with gas in it for the length of time that dealer has had it....that it hasn't begun to deteriorate the fuel lines and the Kawa's carb. If I were you I would get some Sea-Foam(available at your local auto parts or Walmart) and add the recommended amount times two in a fresh tank of "non-ethanol" gas and run that through it. If the other tank still has gas in it , again add a double treatment of Sea-Foam to it before running it. And then start using non-ethanol only. I'll bet the fuel economy will return to "normal" then(like me, I would expect you to get AT LEAST an acre per gallon). If I were you, I would keep that ZTR for that money and follow the gasoline advice I gave you. If you take care of it and stop running ethanol gas I think you will be pleased with that purchase(and the reliability and longevity of that "commercial" Kawasaki engine)!!!

P.S.
Here's a link to that online manual if you will find that useful:

http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSO/HUSO2011_NAen/HUSO2011_NAen_PZ-TOM_115392427-01.pdf

C

Cadmium

I agree with user RatRacer in that if you paid approx. $5500 for that ZTR you got a good deal. But, my research on the Husqvarna website yielded this model(actually a P-ZT4822FS / 966613301 according to the manual I found) being sold in 2010-2011, so I don't think you got a 2012 model like you were told:0( How many "hours" does it show on the dashboard???

That being said, it shows an 11gal tank, so I would have to ask if you are 101% certain that that particular tank was COMPLETELY full when you started??? And....how much "area" did you cut before it ran out??? That Kawasaki FX651V is "very similar" to the FX691V that is on my Gravely(22hp...mine is 726CC and I don't see the actual "size" in your manual). I have been tracking my fuel usage over the last dozen mowings and I am mowing approx. 1.5 acres on exactly 1 gallon of "non-ethanol 89 octane" gasoline. I would HIGHLY recommend, if it is available in your area, that you NOT use ethanol gasoline in that ZTR and run the mid-grade(89 octane) non-ethanol gasoline ONLY!!! I even add StaBil gas treatment to mine in every tankful just to be extra cautious. If this ZTR has been using ethanol gasoline I'll bet a dime to a dollar that is contributing to the bad fuel economy and I'm surprised that if stored with gas in it for the length of time that dealer has had it....that it hasn't begun to deteriorate the fuel lines and the Kawa's carb. If I were you I would get some Sea-Foam(available at your local auto parts or Walmart) and add the recommended amount times two in a fresh tank of "non-ethanol" gas and run that through it. If the other tank still has gas in it , again add a double treatment of Sea-Foam to it before running it. And then start using non-ethanol only. I'll bet the fuel economy will return to "normal" then(like me, I would expect you to get AT LEAST an acre per gallon). If I were you, I would keep that ZTR for that money and follow the gasoline advice I gave you. If you take care of it and stop running ethanol gas I think you will be pleased with that purchase(and the reliability and longevity of that "commercial" Kawasaki engine)!!!

P.S.
Here's a link to that online manual if you will find that useful:

http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSO/HUSO2011_NAen/HUSO2011_NAen_PZ-TOM_115392427-01.pdf

Thanks for the reply. Yea they supplied the same manual with the mower when delivered. At the time I started mowing the hour meter registered a total of 186.8 hours and at the time the left tank went dry it read and is currently at 187.5 hours. It made it through about 2/3 of an acre. I did check the oil, hydraulic reservoirs and both tanks prior to starting and both tanks were filled to the bottom of the filler neck per the manual. Now it was delivered with fuel so I am not certain if it was full the whole time it was for sale but they did have it sitting for the most part within their showroom in the building so I would be surprised at least they would leave both tanks full with it being in an enclosed building, but again that is speculation. As far as the fuel quantity I would again believe it is probably 10% Ethanol and not pure gas. I know the dealer stated that it was used through 2012 as a demo and then used after that as the mower on their grass around the dealership, so I also wouldn't expect most of the gas to be too old, and they also mentioned to be sure to use both tanks to prevent the ethanol gas from sitting and separating out water.

Even if they say they resolve it I may just go ahead and run any remaining fuel out, run at least one tank through with some sea-foam (which I had completely forgotten about that stuff) and then probably take the next step of pulling and cleaning the carb and reinstalling as well as doing a quick inspection to make sure the crappy ethanol gas hasn't destroyed any of the gaskets/rubber lines. Thanks for the reply as the ethanol I didn't really think of but it definitely makes sense. They are picking up the mower tomorrow and going to look at it first since its still under warranty.

D

d1live

I just decided on one of these due to the features and price they offered in another state, is their any reason I should not purchase this model? Is it stable? And is the deck deep enough to produce a nice even cut and mow wet grass? Great Pictures, glad you mentioned seatbelt because I couldn't see one in the stock photos.

RatRacer

RatRacer

I just decided on one of these due to the features and price they offered in another state, is their any reason I should not purchase this model? Is it stable? And is the deck deep enough to produce a nice even cut and mow wet grass? Great Pictures, glad you mentioned seatbelt because I couldn't see one in the stock photos.

The stance on this is very stable. I feel more stable on some inclines than I did on my JD tractor. Max cut is 4.5in, and I found doing a ~45" bite on wet grass keeps enough air flowing under the deck to keep it cutting proper. If a mower has a roll bar, then it has a belt, because it will make the bar worthless with no belt to keep you in the seat.

serelaw

serelaw

Bought the M ZT52 28 hp from sleequiptment yesterday.
Delivey charge 225.00 Since I live 99 miles away they said they will just bring it down to my house.
Paid 4495.00 225.00 delivery 4724.00. If I picked it up taxes would be 360.00
So I save 135.00 there.
They have a demo M ZT61 there with 2.5 hrs for 4700.00.
might switch to that if you guys think it is the better deal.
It has bigger deck and 30 hp motor. weighs 790 lbs vs 760 lbs.

The motors are the same physical size. I wonder how they get the xtra 2 hp?

B

blainenbecky

The motors are the same physical size. I wonder how they get the xtra 2 hp?

a lot of motor Co.'s accomplish this with (muffler expansion)
sometimes a bigger muffler or one with less baffling will do the trick .
boat motors Co.'s used to do that a lot back in the day

make sure you check your oils
I got the same cutter and it came with low oil in one side of the Hydro as seen in the link below.
but a nice mower in deed

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/husqvarna-dixon-forum/20155-got-me-mz5225zt.html

serelaw

serelaw

Hey congrates on ur MZ
I guess we will have next summer to really give them a workout eh?
Wow is all I can say about this badass mower.
Slee brought it today at noon
Oils were good.
Even had 1 gal gas about.
I asked the guy [Terry} and he thinks they have different carbs.
He was very nice. He explained the controls and how to change engine oil and hydro oil.
He pointed out the zerk fittings and when to service them.
When to change the engine oil first ten hrs is important.
The features I like are:
1-Zerk fittings Servicable front axle,spindles and whatever else I have not found yet.
All easy to get to.
2-Big 23x9.5x12 inch tires rear
3-Big front tires 13x6.5x6
4-Welded deck
5-Cast Iron Spindles
6-Rops bar
7-18" Seat
8-Big 28 HP motor
9-19000 rpm blade speed
10-Foot deck lift, (Also can use foot lift to lock it in place for transport.
I do not have to move the pin at all.)
11-Dampened Steering
12-3400 Hydros 12cc 10 mph speed if needed
13-Floating Deck
14-Engine oil drain is on a hose and located for easy access at the rear of the machine.
15-$1000.00 of MSRP Nobody here in Al would budge.
I was told the Kawasaki engine will be an option in 2014.
I was told there is a 5% price increase across the Husky line in 2014.
I did not want to wait. I know I got a great deal.
Sleequiptment sells volume. Worth the drive up to Tn.
I mowed my yard 1.75 acres then went next door and did my neighbors .75 acres.
It is true, once a noob gets his 1st zero turn we look for grass to cut.

BlainenBecky I have to check the part numbers on the carbs.
I did not think about the muffler.
This thing has all the bells and whistles I wanted..
Loving it so far. Going to do a video review soon also in 1080p Oh yea.

B

blainenbecky

BlainenBecky I have to check the part numbers on the carbs.
I did not think about the muffler.
This thing has all the bells and whistles I wanted..
Loving it so far. Going to do a video review soon also in 1080p Oh yea.

I hope you and others make review vids on the M-52 as there was not to much on youtube from the buyers of these mowers.
and I hope you put a link to your video review up here as I like to see what others think of the mower
I mounted a trailer hitch on mine yesterday and will be cutting grass today,so far so good and I am really liking this mower
hopefully I will get around to putting some lights on it pretty soon.

happy mowing :thumbsup:

RatRacer

RatRacer

Good deal serelaw, welcome to the MZ owners fold!
I hope my posts were of some help.

serelaw

serelaw

Just quick vids I'm a rookie at this.

serelaw

serelaw

serelaw

serelaw

Good deal serelaw, welcome to the MZ owners fold!
I hope my posts were of some help.

Ur the man rat.. I listen to what u said.
This zero turn stuff is a big deal for me.
I wanted all of the features I could get in one mower.
I believe I achieved that goal for the least amount of money.
But still got quality,durability,craftsmanship and a company that is big enough to support
what I bought. I am going to figure out how to edit videos and make one good one.
Thanks for the help.

PS. Thanks to dice also. and blain and becky and...

RatRacer

RatRacer

Cool vids!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the ride-a-long. I wanted a dramamine after that one...:confused2:

B

blainenbecky

very cool vids
I really enjoyed checking them out .
and I did not know that deck release could work 2 ways
I really like how the deck works on this machine.
who knew a mower could be so much fun , :rolleyes::confused2::thumbsup:

djdicetn

djdicetn

Ur the man rat.. I listen to what u said.
This zero turn stuff is a big deal for me.
I wanted all of the features I could get in one mower.
I believe I achieved that goal for the least amount of money.
But still got quality,durability,craftsmanship and a company that is big enough to support
what I bought. I am going to figure out how to edit videos and make one good one.
Thanks for the help.

PS. Thanks to dice also. and blain and becky and...

Glad we could help.....that M-ZT is a Husqvarna cross between a Dixon Ultra(High-End Residential) and A Diixon DX100(Entry-Level Commercial) and I almost pulled the trigger on the Dixon DX100 before I got a better deal on my Gravely. I don't think you'll regret that investment!!!

E

edd

hey serelaw.....i see you are in alabama also......anywhere near dothan?

serelaw

serelaw

hey serelaw.....i see you are in alabama also......anywhere near dothan?
I live in Harvest by Madison/Huntsville.

?????:smile:

A

Agr516

I apologize for adding into this thread so late but i am looking at a MZT 52 and this is the best info that i have found about them. A have found a dealer with a demo unit left that they have used to mow their own grass. It has 58 hrs on it and comes with the full warranty at a pretty good discount below new price. I have been thinking hard about buying it and am looking for experienced opinions on it. It is also attractive that they are offering 0% financing on the mower. It comes with the Commercial Briggs 28hp which is an engine that i am unfamiliar with. Any reason that i should be skeptical of this mower or engine? It sounds like a good deal to me. Thanks for any opinions.

serelaw

serelaw

Hi Agri.
Sleequiptment in Tn, went up on their new ones to 4699.00 with 225.00 delivery fee.
One with 58 hrs, [which would be almost two years use] for me, should be in great shape.
These I believe, are rugged enough that 58 hrs is nothing. Time will tell on the engine.
Yesterday, ran mine in 5 degree weather. It started right up. Ha ha, right. Choked and little to big throttle
it came to life and I zipped around the house twice after a warm-up. Twice as bumpy and slick on the turns
is a recipe for an ear to ear grin on that thing. I can't wait for summer man.

A

Agr516

Thanks for your response. This one is 4,300 with no shipping or delivery fee. Im thinking hard about it. Would rather deal local than with a distant dealer too.

serelaw

serelaw

When you weigh all the features, advantages, and benefits of the 52 for the 4300.00
there really is no comparable product in the market for the money.
Good luck with whatever you choose and please return to share what you bought with us...

T

tom-ky

I got quoted $4700 on a left over 2013. they had one left but it may be gone. They might not still honor it. I like the thought of the suspension on the Ferris/Simplicity but don't know if it is worth a $1000 more.

serelaw

serelaw

If money was no object I would have purchased a full suspension system.
I do like to spoil myself when I can afford it.
I will just convince myself that I am on a hardtail harley mower and I'm a badass. lol

A

Agr516

I ended up buying the mzt 52. Got it delivered today. Looking forward to trying it out. Feels pretty quick just driving it around. Hope it turns out to be a good machine.

serelaw

serelaw

Arga516,

Yea baby. My son lives in Locust Fork va.
We are taking ours up there in the spring for him to try. He wants one also..
I was never this exited about a mower before.
Good choice sir..

T

tom-ky

Anyone have any issues with cut quality of the MZT 52? Some reviews I read say they streak a lot.

serelaw

serelaw

All mowers streak if speed + grass is to high. ;]

serelaw

serelaw

Been out mowing. I am enjoying the experience. You guys mowin yet?

Arnezie

Arnezie

Wow where are you guys finding the MZT52 for under 5,000??? Cheapest I can find on the internet is 5,500 and local they are 5700

T

tom-ky

Wow where are you guys finding the MZT52 for under 5,000??? Cheapest I can find on the internet is 5,500 and local they are 5700

I bought a left over 2013 for $4850 the end of February, MSRP was $5499.

E

edd

local dealer here is offering mzt 52 ,weedeater and backpack blower for 5383 plus tax

Arnezie

Arnezie

local dealer here is offering mzt 52 ,weedeater and backpack blower for 5383 plus tax
I'd be all over that if it was near me.

Ok I pulled the trigger and ordered a 2014 MZT52 with the kawasaki for $5,500 shipped from N Carolina to Michigan, Now for the waiting ...........

serelaw

serelaw

Wow a 2014... The first year of Kawasaki in the MZ series.

YaHoooo. Pictures when You get it ya know...lol

E

edd

i am considering buying the mx t 52......i use a super duty on small yards...at 7 mph it still does good ...i use a 60 diablo on large open places for the speed ........the mzt at 10 mph would be perfect for medium sized yards and the weight is good....the diablo is 1500 pounds and the caution you have to use negates the speed on some properties.....my dealer says that speed for cutting does not make that big of a difference but i know different....diablo has cut my time by half on large open property.....does the mzt go the full 10 mph that is advertised.......anybody gone from a 7-8 mph mower to the mzt?....can you tell a difference?

E

edd

looked at the mz t 52 at dealer yesterday.......i like the look and the package deal price of 5400 for mower ,backpack blower and weedeater......dealer didnt seem too high on them....said the deck wont cut bahaia well.......i like the looks of the briggs commercial turf engine with cyclonic filter ....anybody cut bahaia with these.?.....looks a lot like my big dog and fastrak decks......dealer is high on the x-1 with vx4 deck.....

RatRacer

RatRacer

looked at the mz t 52 at dealer yesterday.......i like the look and the package deal price of 5400 for mower ,backpack blower and weedeater......dealer didnt seem too high on them....said the deck wont cut bahaia well.......i like the looks of the briggs commercial turf engine with cyclonic filter ....anybody cut bahaia with these.?.....looks a lot like my big dog and fastrak decks......dealer is high on the x-1 with vx4 deck.....

If you have the choice, I'd opt for the kawi version over the b&s + deal sweeteners. The kawi torque makes a big difference, and if they had offered it when I bought mine, I would have ponied up for it. The b&s bogs some in my thicker foritam grass that the big dog didn't as so much as change engine pitch.
As far as 10mph, unless the yard is perfectly flat, I only use the speed to get from point A to point B. Everytime I tried it, I was going back over the cut, due to a mole tunnel or fire ant mound getting me airbourne to leave a high spot.

serelaw

serelaw

This is not directed to anyone in particular.
Certainly not anyone on this forum. Just my own thoughts about buying stuff in general.
I'm not buying into the "Kowie" has more torque than anything else thing.
Info is hard for me to find on the net also. Seems to be a national secret.
Manufacturers don't want us to know how they determine I guess.
I find it hard to believe that a 691 cc kowie can have more torq than a 810 cc B&S.
Another thing. Steering dampers, cabling,wiring, blades, seats, batteries, tires, steel,
nuts, bolts, paint, grease, air, welding rod, wire rod, air filters, oil, hydros and most else
come from the same 3rd party venders.
I looked at a comparable exmark,gravely,snapper,toro the other day. more money for less hydro, legroom, and tire size.
One or two may have a gas gauge 5" deep deck compare to 4" and it was red instead of orange.
Side mounting deck pin height adjustment instead of top mounted. 1.5x3" frame vs 2x3" frame, aluminum spindles vs cast iron.
and they want 2000.00 more? GTFO. Unibody frame like the snapper/exmark now has.
Some people think this is a weaker not stronger platform. Made for cost savings. Well sure it is.
I do not need a 7 ga deck or dual tanks. I do like easy remote oil drain, oil filter placement and canister air filter.
I do like floating deck, leg room foldable rops and 3400 hydros. I like large fat tires for my damp property demands.
The average home user like me and most of us are looking for the most features and benefits and wants and needs
more so than name recognition and snobby be the coolest kid on the block name brands.
I will take a greasable spindle and axle over a gas gauge any day. And warranty, please.
How are these warranties any different than the ones for cars or bikes?
They say a lot, but most anything that breaks for me is not covered anyway. Ok, so I ranted a little.
At the end of the day research will get the best deal and put the biggest smile on your face.

I am going to video cutting some Bahiagrass as soon as I can find some. And as soon as I figure out what it is.
Northern Alabama gotta have some some where.

Ric

Ric

This is not directed to anyone in particular.
Certainly not anyone on this forum. Just my own thoughts about buying stuff in general.
I'm not buying into the "Kowie" has more torque than anything else thing.
Info is hard for me to find on the net also. Seems to be a national secret.
Manufacturers don't want us to know how they determine I guess.
I find it hard to believe that a 691 cc kowie can have more torq than a 810 cc B&S.
Another thing. Steering dampers, cabling,wiring, blades, seats, batteries, tires, steel,
nuts, bolts, paint, grease, air, welding rod, wire rod, air filters, oil, hydros and most else
come from the same 3rd party venders.
I looked at a comparable exmark,gravely,snapper,toro the other day. more money for less hydro, legroom, and tire size.
One or two may have a gas gauge 5" deep deck compare to 4" and it was red instead of orange.
Side mounting deck pin height adjustment instead of top mounted. 1.5x3" frame vs 2x3" frame, aluminum spindles vs cast iron.
and they want 2000.00 more? GTFO. Unibody frame like the snapper/exmark now has.
Some people think this is a weaker not stronger platform. Made for cost savings. Well sure it is.
I do not need a 7 ga deck or dual tanks. I do like easy remote oil drain, oil filter placement and canister air filter.
I do like floating deck, leg room foldable rops and 3400 hydros. I like large fat tires for my damp property demands.
The average home user like me and most of us are looking for the most features and benefits and wants and needs
more so than name recognition and snobby be the coolest kid on the block name brands.
I will take a greasable spindle and axle over a gas gauge any day. And warranty, please.
How are these warranties any different than the ones for cars or bikes?
They say a lot, but most anything that breaks for me is not covered anyway. Ok, so I ranted a little.
At the end of the day research will get the best deal and put the biggest smile on your face.

I am going to video cutting some Bahiagrass as soon as I can find some. And as soon as I figure out what it is.
Northern Alabama gotta have some some where.

Check the links.

403 Request Blocked

Your 810cc Briggs has 30 ft.lbs of torque.

FS691V | Kawasaki - Engines, Replacement Parts, and Power Products

The 691 your referring to is a model which is 726cc / 23hp and has 39.9 ft.lbs of torque.

Arnezie

Arnezie

Check the links.

403 Request Blocked

Your 810cc Briggs has 30 ft.lbs of torque.

FS691V | Kawasaki - Engines, Replacement Parts, and Power Products

The 691 your referring to is a model which is 726cc / 23hp and has 39.9 ft.lbs of torque.

I thought it had the FS651V not fs691v??

Ric

Ric

He said I find it hard to believe that a 691 cc kowie can have more torq than a 810 cc B&S.

The FS 651V 726 cc 22hp has more torque with 39.4 ft.lbs than the Briggs 810cc
FS651V | Kawasaki - Engines, Replacement Parts, and Power Products

E

edd

hey serelaw......if you want to see bahaia ride down here to southeast alabama.....i will even bag you some up to take and show the '' yankees '' in north alabama.......what motor did you get on your mzt ?.....i am seeing briggs endurance and briggs commercial turf on different mzt's......are they the same engine?

serelaw

serelaw

Hy edd.
It came with a 28 hp B&S Commercial turf.
The guy said it is the same engine as the 30 hp but the muffler or carb was different.
Thanks ric for the reply. Other than my mistake of the 691v being a cc, I know what the torque ratings are.
I am looking for "Why the kawasaki has so much more torque".
Even the 541v 600cc FR541V | Kawasaki - Engines, Replacement Parts, and Power Productsengine has 2 more hp than my 810cc engine they say. I call shenanigans anyway.
I am looking for how they come up with the figure and why the engine is so superman like to the other makers offerings.
I am trying to find out if it has an oil pump. Cast iron sleeves, fuel injection,
heavier crankshaft, higher rpm or headwork or more valves or fairy dust, or something to justify the completely (to me at least) outrageous claims.
I found this linkKawasaki first among small-engine makers to get.
And this FR600V | Kawasaki - Engines, Replacement Parts, and Power Products.
This is hard to find info for me.
If anyone can lead me to some hard intel that explains how kawasaki can do something no other maker chooses to do
please link away.

djdicetn

djdicetn

It's hard to tell on the Husqvarna website exactly which Kawa engine the M-ZT 52 comes with. It says Kawasaki FS series and then in the specs it states 724cc and 22hp. I can't really find a specific engine model# 0n the Husqvarna website. All I can say about the Kawa-Briggs "controversy" is that user RatRacer has the M-ZT 52 with the Briggs on it and he says it does bog down a little. I have the Kawasaki FX Series model FX691V on my Gravely(it is the 23hp 726cc engine being discussed....just the FX commercial duty versus the FS heavy duty). And when I first got my Gravely I mowed my neglected lawn that was at least 6"-7" tall(mowing at 2.5 inches). That was before I bought my mulch kit and I was side discharging and I must say that cutting that tall grass produced some windrows that were between 8"-10" deep. I mowed over those windrows with the Gravely and I could not even detect a difference in the sound of the engine, much less hear the blades bogging down. I chopped right through those clippings like they weren't even there. It took a couple of passes, but the Gravely pretty well cut the clippings fine enough where you couldn't see any remaining grass clippings. I have had two B & S engines on my previous lawn tractors(a 22hp Vanguard, which was a VERY good engine and a 24hp Intek which couldn't hold a candle to the Vanguard much less my Kawa). It indeed is more about the torque than the hp when it comes to mowing performance and I'd still take a Kawa over anything else out there. Of course that is simply based upon my first-hand experience comparing B & S to Kawa ownership performance:0)

T

tom-ky

I have only put about 5 hours on my MZT 52 and have not noticed the Briggs bogging down any. Mowed a section here on the farm that was over 6 inches tall and real thick and it never seem to bog. Mowed part of a vacant house yard next to the house in town, fairly tall but not thick and it doesn't seem to strain it at all. Now I don't run as fast as some people. One thin I noticed in the specs previously posted is the Kawasaki has a longer stroke which helps the torque.

Ric

Ric

It's hard to tell on the Husqvarna website exactly which Kawa engine the M-ZT 52 comes with. It says Kawasaki FS series and then in the specs it states 724cc and 22hp. I can't really find a specific engine model# 0n the Husqvarna website. All I can say about the Kawa-Briggs "controversy" is that user RatRacer has the M-ZT 52 with the Briggs on it and he says it does bog down a little. I have the Kawasaki FX Series model FX691V on my Gravely(it is the 23hp 726cc engine being discussed....just the FX commercial duty versus the FS heavy duty). And when I first got my Gravely I mowed my neglected lawn that was at least 6"-7" tall(mowing at 2.5 inches). That was before I bought my mulch kit and I was side discharging and I must say that cutting that tall grass produced some windrows that were between 8"-10" deep. I mowed over those windrows with the Gravely and I could not even detect a difference in the sound of the engine, much less hear the blades bogging down. I chopped right through those clippings like they weren't even there. It took a couple of passes, but the Gravely pretty well cut the clippings fine enough where you couldn't see any remaining grass clippings. I have had two B & S engines on my previous lawn tractors(a 22hp Vanguard, which was a VERY good engine and a 24hp Intek which couldn't hold a candle to the Vanguard much less my Kawa). It indeed is more about the torque than the hp when it comes to mowing performance and I'd still take a Kawa over anything else out there. Of course that is simply based upon my first-hand experience comparing B & S to Kawa ownership performance:0)

The Husqvarna site is wrong. The only FS 22 hp is the FS 651 @ 726cc. The Briggs there using on the m-zt Husqvarna I believe is the one with the new Endurance 26 hp Cyclonic air system which is the old Intek engine with a new air system. and if you think It's indeed is more about the torque than the hp when it comes to mowing performance don't buy the Briggs, My FS 541 15hp kawasaki has more torque than there 26hp.

serelaw

serelaw

EDD,
My eyes deceived me dude.
It says "Endurance Commercial" JD1940 sae 28 max hp
And another sticker that says "cyclonic air filter".
Damn I coulda sworn it was the Commercial Turf engine.
No worrys. It is a beast of an engine and gives me no hint of running out of power.
ric is right about on the website the engines are listed as 26hp.
I am looking for what possible differences there could be right now.

serelaw

serelaw

EDD,
I called B&S and left message to call back. The wait time was 13 minutes.
ur two engines seem to be identical @ first glance. Cast iron sleeves,
beefed up cylinder block and debris filtration.
I called the mechanic where I bought my mower and he said same engine as far as he can tell.
In one of my videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qi6ne9UNRw
you can see me cutting some really high stuff (Bush Hog like)and the engine does not bog or strain at all.
model 49L977 49.42 cu in
Engine Selection
Match the engine’s performance and cost to your specific application to get the optimum performance at an
affordable price. That means better value for you.
• Vanguard™ OHV (overhead valve) engines are maximum performance, cast iron sleeved engines.
- select for continuous heavy duty applications.
• INTEK™ PRO, Industrial Plus™ and I/C® (Industrial/Commercial) engines are cast iron sleeved.
- select for medium duty commercial, industrial and rental use.

• INTEK™and PowerBuilt™ engines are aluminum cylinder bore OHV engines.
- select for general consumer use.
• Standard engines are aluminum cylinder bore, side valve engines.
- select for general consumer use.
We have cast iron sleeve
Here is a 724 cc with massive torque 53.45 Series 8 Commercial Turf Series

Arnezie

Arnezie

Impressive video. I'll let ya know if the Kawasaki can do that when it arrives at the end off the week.

S

scuts

took delivery of an mz-t52 with the kawasaki motor on Fri. First real cut was yesterday. Holy crap that thing will cut some grass. The only issue I had was after mowing about 15ft, the machine just quit. It would crank up but would not allow me to take the break off or try to move it. After calling the dealer and some troubleshooting, turns out the guys who got it ready for me did not completely connect the seat safety switch. So after bouncing around a bit, it disconnected enough to stop working. It did not appear disconnected though, just had to unplug and replug which is a bit of a pain. Just FYI, keep that in mind.

serelaw

serelaw

WOW
Scary. The "What have I got myself into feeling".
After showing it who's boss, begins the long and happy relationship.

S

scuts

WOW
Scary. The "What have I got myself into feeling".
After showing it who's boss, begins the long and happy relationship.

oh I was ticked... had just traveled 3 hours round trip to pick up the mower and other things. There was no going back up there.

S

Seppie

Hi all, I am new to this forum actually this is my first post but very well mannered to most lawn mowers. I also bought the mzt 52 with a 26 hp B.S. I have it about a month now and have 8 hrs on this machine. WOW this is a very well made, handling, fun serious mower. I love it and everything about it. I mow my yard and the neighbors field and it doesn't matter if I am full speed or half speed it doesn't skip a beat. I am mowing with the stock blades which just today I took them off since we are getting 3 inches of rain and put the gator blades on. So I am excited to see what that will do compared to the stock. This engine and my other BS engines are superior and very easy to work on when have too. I didn't want to pay to an extra 400 for the kawa just because I have had no issue's with other bs engines. Specially when my simplicity bs 16 hp engine cut the same yard for over 10 yrs at 2.5 hrs a week for 26 wks and have NO ISSUE'S at all. I believe they changed some things about this machine before the 14's came out like the 28 hp sticker now it says 26 hp and the hydro tank is one long tank and not 2 lil tanks. Just what I have noticed so far. The extra wide tires all around have been great for my swamp yard which I have had 5.5 inches of water the other week and I mowed that weekend and didn't even spin. I couldn't have done that with my simp. My neighbor has a gravely zt 60 inch deck and well he seen me mowing and figured he could well he sunk lol. Oh well he is a lil heavier than I am. But anyways for anyone on the titter totter about this mower versus's others just like what I was checking out, gravely, jd, bad boy, hustler mowers I have my opinion chose the best mower for MY needs! I LOVE THIS MOWER AND my wife says I ride it more then you know what. lol oh well hope this helps some. Oh yeah I mow 3hrs before I am out of gas. I believe this is normal. Happy reading. seppie

T

tom-ky

Hi all, I am new to this forum actually this is my first post but very well mannered to most lawn mowers. I also bought the mzt 52 with a 26 hp B.S. I have it about a month now and have 8 hrs on this machine. WOW this is a very well made, handling, fun serious mower. I love it and everything about it. I mow my yard and the neighbors field and it doesn't matter if I am full speed or half speed it doesn't skip a beat. I am mowing with the stock blades which just today I took them off since we are getting 3 inches of rain and put the gator blades on. So I am excited to see what that will do compared to the stock. This engine and my other BS engines are superior and very easy to work on when have too. I didn't want to pay to an extra 400 for the kawa just because I have had no issue's with other bs engines. Specially when my simplicity bs 16 hp engine cut the same yard for over 10 yrs at 2.5 hrs a week for 26 wks and have NO ISSUE'S at all. I believe they changed some things about this machine before the 14's came out like the 28 hp sticker now it says 26 hp and the hydro tank is one long tank and not 2 lil tanks. Just what I have noticed so far. The extra wide tires all around have been great for my swamp yard which I have had 5.5 inches of water the other week and I mowed that weekend and didn't even spin. I couldn't have done that with my simp. My neighbor has a gravely zt 60 inch deck and well he seen me mowing and figured he could well he sunk lol. Oh well he is a lil heavier than I am. But anyways for anyone on the titter totter about this mower versus's others just like what I was checking out, gravely, jd, bad boy, hustler mowers I have my opinion chose the best mower for MY needs! I LOVE THIS MOWER AND my wife says I ride it more then you know what. lol oh well hope this helps some. Oh yeah I mow 3hrs before I am out of gas. I believe this is normal. Happy reading. seppie
Which Gator blade did you get? Where did you get them?

S

Seppie

I got my gator blades where I bought my machine. That doesn't help you much but I know I over paid for them for a tune of 75 bucks. But it helps the local's that live near me. If you need part numbers i'll have to get your part numbers when I call the dealer.

T

tom-ky

I got my gator blades where I bought my machine. That doesn't help you much but I know I over paid for them for a tune of 75 bucks. But it helps the local's that live near me. If you need part numbers i'll have to get your part numbers when I call the dealer.

That is ok, I asked my dealer about them an said no problem to get them. Do you think they do good on the MZT? Sometimes in spots I think mine does not pick the grass up good that the front tire ran over. I would like the smaller clipping size.

S

Seppie

That is ok, I asked my dealer about them an said no problem to get them. Do you think they do good on the MZT? Sometimes in spots I think mine does not pick the grass up good that the front tire ran over. I would like the smaller clipping size.

Well It does help but I would talk to dealer about that as I too have that issue and its not on the discharge side. My opinion is keep your blades sharpened every 8 hrs and we should be good to go with the oem's. You can take that how you want but I would take that 75 bucks back and get me 3 cases of yuengling lol.

S

Seppie

Well on these gator blades I have 3 more cuts on these blades and...... I dunno how to keep the deck unclogged running these blades. It clogs my deck up so bad it leaves grass out the back of the deck. Y? Can anyone answer this for me? Maybe its the design of the deck underneath? I don't mow when wet at all and it still just mushes the the grass into the deck corners and just clogs. I am not so happy the more I run these blades. Anyone have info or have the same issue? Thanks seppie

D

ddbtdd

My experience with gator blades on my old mower is I bought them on eBay cuz they were Stens and the price was $25.00 for a set of three.
I come to learn Gator blades are made for mulching and if the grass was not dry -as it is rarely- would always clog the deck. Had to wire the shoot open.
I'm much happier with high lift blades.

serelaw

serelaw

I went ahead and put the G5 985-077 on. Cuts great and no grass coming out the back.
Leaves a nice cut and does not carpet the grass with clippings. I had alot of deck spooge cause the grass was damp. Today I cut and it was drier.
No spooge to speak of. I like them. They did a good job with the little white alfalfa flowers but I had to go slower.
I can take pics if anyone wants to see. North alabama Bermuda/fescue mixed with some others I have not taken the time to identify yet.
They do leave smaller clippings. I read small clippings equal 10 % nitrogen when they decompose in the lawn. Another plus I guess.

T

tom-ky

I went ahead and put the G5 985-077 on. Cuts great and no grass coming out the back.
Leaves a nice cut and does not carpet the grass with clippings. I had alot of deck spooge cause the grass was damp. Today I cut and it was drier.
No spooge to speak of. I like them. They did a good job with the little white alfalfa flowers but I had to go slower.
I can take pics if anyone wants to see. North alabama Bermuda/fescue mixed with some others I have not taken the time to identify yet.
They do leave smaller clippings. I read small clippings equal 10 % nitrogen when they decompose in the lawn. Another plus I guess.

Where did you get them?

serelaw

serelaw

Where did you get them?

From a local Repair shop named B&B small engine repair.
Anthony listened to me tell him I needed the 985-085.
I received the 595-077 in about a week.

CLICK
You can see the 077 is 3" wide and 160 thick and 1 1/4 lift 17 3/4 long diagonally.
The 085 will work it is 2.50 200 1" 18 .
So either one will work. I cut with the chute open so far.
I will try some chute down today. Just for sag's.

serelaw

serelaw

Chute down lays a thin carpet. Back to chute up.
I'm not using the blades as they are supposed to be used. With a Mulch kit.
So I'm not expecting the same experience.
But they do cut smaller clippings and appear to leave a finer and smaller discharge.
With the longer cutting edge over stock and the extra width
for sharpening they seem the better value over stock. I paid 60.00 OTD.
Link for G5 16.33
Link for stock 15.84 ea.
So for a few cents more "Why not".
I'd have to invest in the mulch kit Click Here lol to truly see the difference I guess.

serelaw

serelaw

This is from another thread here.
I thought I would put it in the M ZT-52 thread also.

The only difference I can find between the Briggs 28 hp 49L977-0125-G5 28 hp CLICK HERE
and the Briggs 30 hp 49M877-5598-G5 CLICK HERE is the main jet. Part # 117 in the carb.

Part Number #117 Briggs and Stratton 842633 Jet-Main ((Standard)) Your price: $10.55
Unless I missed something. Please let me know if you find anything.
I think I'm going to trade out the jets and see what happens.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Chute down lays a thin carpet. Back to chute up.
I'm not using the blades as they are supposed to be used. With a Mulch kit.
So I'm not expecting the same experience.
But they do cut smaller clippings and appear to leave a finer and smaller discharge.
With the longer cutting edge over stock and the extra width
for sharpening they seem the better value over stock. I paid 60.00 OTD.
Link for G5 16.33
Link for stock 15.84 ea.
So for a few cents more "Why not".
I'd have to invest in the mulch kit Click Here lol to truly see the difference I guess.
I don't know about the mulch kit for the M-ZT 52, but when I installed the Gravely OEM mulch kit on my Pro Turn 100 XDZ, it made a WORLD of difference. The cut with the OEM hi-lift blades was good, but the vacuum baffles and Gravely mulch blades in the kit made the grass clippings "disappear completely"!!

serelaw

serelaw

This 2 acre lawn brought the mower to it's knees yesterday.
Highest setting 4.5. Not cut in 2.5 months. I was crying till I figured this lawn
would own most mowers in our class. Thick rich heavy lush lawn was taxing the briggs in the heaviest places.
It was a tough fight but we won a by split decision. had the G-5s on. Open chute. 87 octane no ethanol.
Gotta put the bigger jet in with a K&N filter. This is the guy that did the heads on my bike. I'm thinking why not do the briggs head?

Attachments

S

Shughes717

This 2 acre lawn brought the mower to it's knees yesterday.
Highest setting 4.5. Not cut in 2.5 months. I was crying till I figured this lawn
would own most mowers in our class. Thick rich heavy lush lawn was taxing the briggs in the heaviest places.
It was a tough fight but we won a by split decision. had the G-5s on. Open chute. 87 octane no ethanol.
Gotta put the bigger jet in with a K&N filter. This is the guy that did the heads on my bike. I'm thinking why not do the briggs head?

Looks like that lawn should have been cut and baled instead of mowed lol.

B

BOhio

Thanks for the info, and please excuse a noob chiming in. We're expecting to join the M-ZT 52 (Kawasaki engine version) owner's club in the near future, i.e. first week of October. Our lawn too might be better baled at that point than cut, but we'll find out, and if necessary, use the L/P 1872 rotary cutter on it first, ha ha.

As to buying online, Mowers4Less was a total fail for us. Sure, we were happy to "save" $700 over the competitors, including the used-car-salesmen-mentality shops local to the area where our farm property is. But $700 is real money, and other significant online purchases had worked out quite well -- including our Kubota tractor.

MFL, aka OPE, aka Salisbury Power Equipment, was keen to take our money, and charged the price in full -- across two credit cards, oddly enough -- 4 weeks ahead of our scheduled "guaranteed" delivery. We flew cross country to the farm specifically to take delivery of the mower and tractor. MFL didn't keep in touch during the 4 week interval unless I called or emailed them first. Nor did they call as the delivery date approached. On arrival the day before the 2-day "guaranteed" interval, I contacted them (again). And the next two days came and went, and no mower, just excuses. A complete waste of time, and way too much hassle and pleading from their incompetent and moronic shipping partner (DSL). They offered to pay one of my relatives in the area to meet the delivery later. Then never called him.

Luckily, my relative (cousin Gary) happens to be connected with a local shop who is a Husqvarna vendor, and who will order up the mower and some other Huskqvarna power tools for us at a price as good as MFL. And, they will deliver them to our place when we want, lest they incur Gary's wrath in person. (He's already called to tell us the stuff is in their warehouse, and he'll deliver it personally during our next trip.) This shop was so far outside the area, and doesn't advertise, that we had no idea they existed. Love a happy ending -- which maybe I've jinxed by spouting off before we actually get the stuff, but fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

O

oleblu72

Ya gotta love some of these guys BOhio. I almost bought one off of MFL But I found a local dealer that would sell the MZT for the same price.But I hope their service is better than their bedside manner because unless I'm hurting I won't be buying my parts off them their parts guy was a total douche and my salesman was kind of a dud.

Mark

B

BOhio

I hear you Mark, and it's too bad that some transactions go off the rails. As to justifying our M-ZT 52 purchase, we recently acquired a place with lots of grass -- pastures and lawns. The local landscaping maintenance service providers were quick to advise that we buy ourselves 'commercial grade' equipment, and suggested we budget $10k. Not having had any lawn mower since a Brill (German-made push reel mower, I kid you not) about 10 years ago, I was enthused at the prospect of riding gear, but the cost shocked me. So, I started the websearch, found this website (among others), hemmed and hawed, licked my finger and put it in the wind, closed my eyes and thought about throwing a dart, and finally decided on the unit mentioned by the OP.

The fact that it was orange and so is our Kubota tractor is not a key factor, but it did occur to me, plus a Sweden-born co-worker praised me for supporting his native country when I disclosed the upcoming purchase during our ongoing "chainsaw safety" discussions -- he being my mentor in that respect.

I'm hoping the M-ZT 52 will be more than good-enough for a homeowner with lots of grass. Heck, the local grass cutting outfits charge us $300 each occasion, and suggest that we should ideally mow every 7-10 days over the 6 month growing season. Geez Louise, that is $1k per month in grass cutting fees. (When I later realized these outfits -- and Caveat Emptor -- base their fees on $50 per hour, I became highly agitated...) I've convinced myself that we will actually make money on this investment, and my wife is stoked to take on these kinds of chores too after she had such fun using the Kubota and RCR to tame one of the pastures. Other than grasshoppers landing all over her, she said it was fun. In a tractor forum, I read about swarming yellowjackets after running into/over their turf. I guess we'll probably have various experiences along the way, but the satisfaction of doing it ourselves, riding a mower that can go almost 10 mph, and "saving" $300/mowing should be a worthy trade-off. If the mower lasts 2 seasons, we'll be money ahead.

I can hardly wait to get/try the thing, and we'll be sure to post a review from our totally-inexperienced view.

T

troverman

I would like to give my experiences with this mower as well. As a "side job" I do about 10 lawns a summer, a mix of several contract commercial properties and some residential. I have been doing this for 10 years or more now. I bought my mower new last season, 52" and with the Kawasaki FS651v engine. I benchmarked against an ExMark Lazer Z mower. Clearly, the MZT is not quite in the same class, but that doesn't make it a bad mower. Basically, the Exmark has a superior deck, and superior hydros, and larger (dual) fuel tanks, and larger rear wheels. The Exmark deck is better equipped to prevent scalping and it rolls stripes into the lawn much better (due to full rollers, of which the MZT has none). It may have better spindles as well. The twin fuel tanks are nice, but has nothing to do with how well a machine mows. The custom Parker hydros on the Lazer Z are exceptional. You can get a bit more speed out of the Exmark.

On to the MZT: This is a nice machine. As others have mentioned, the chassis is very stiff and strong. The hydros on this unit are a good quality, and are found on some more expensive machines as well. They are a bit noisy...who cares. The actual cut quality is very good. The electric clutch is pretty heavy duty; comparable to the Lazer Z. One nice feature are the very wide front caster wheels. The foot deck lift works as well as any. Complaints? Sure, the hour meter is barely readable from most angles, and only turns on when the PTO is engaged. I like to get total engine hours, including idling, not just cutting hours. The rear wheels could be one size taller.

For those worrying about the difference between the B&S, Kawi FS, and Kawi FX: it basically comes down to price. Kawasaki engines have developed the enviable reputation of running long hours in commercial use applications. They also are more stringently rated on output of HP and torque (i.e. their "Critical Power" rating system). Because of this, they can charge more for their engines. They do have some more advanced features like V-valve, and better filtration, more oil capacity, etc. My guess is that the Briggs engines are fine. The Kawi cyclone filter is definitely superior to the one on the Briggs. BUT, the Kawi FS (what comes on the MZT) does not have a cyclone filter. It is true the Briggs engine makes a little less torque, and probably doesn't have as nice of valve covers, and less oil capacity, etc...but will run for a very long time. Chances are the Kawi engines will run longer before needing a rebuild. Who cares? Does it cut your lawn and do a nice job? That B&S engine will probably run between 500-1000 hours before needing a rebuild. Most people here will never achieve that. The Kawi engines might go 1000-2000 hours. Usually, most mowers are pretty beat by those hours and its time to replace the whole unit.

Kawi FX vs FS series: Virtually no difference. The FX is marketed as premium, and uses the cool mushroom head air cleaner. The FS uses a 2-stage more compact air filter. End result? You need to clean or replace the air filters more on the FS engine than the FX. Note, however, you can easily retrofit the FX air cleaner to an FS engine. The engine blocks are identical. The FS allows Kawi to price the engine a little cheaper. I'm putting about 100 hours a season on my MZT and I clean the air filter every 25 or so. So no big deal.

Side hills: Its funny, most lawn mowing "pros" use zero turns. These things, in general, are not good on sidehills! The front end slides downhill. You also tend to rip up the turf trying to overcorrect by adding more speed to the downhill wheel, not realizing its spinning. Wider rear wheels help some, but the fact is, you have no control over the front casters and they do not help to keep the mower on the sidehill path. I also mow with a 2003 Simplicity Legacy 60" tractor. This thing is far better on sidehills. (It also has a much nicer deck than the MZT). Most "pros" think you're kind of low rent if you mow commercially with a tractor (even a $12k tractor like the Legacy). The fact is that the tractor rides more comfortable, is far easier on the turn, is nearly as fast, and is infinitely better at mowing a sidehill. The downside is maneuverability.

Long story, but I do like the MZT, several things impress, and it is commercial grade.

Smithsonite

Smithsonite

I bought mine with the Kawi engine last June from SPE in NC - the local guys couldn't even come within a mile of their price, even shipped! My only gripe with that deal was the fact that it was obviously left outdoors for a length of time, judging from some minor surface rust here and there, and pollen stains all over it where rain had pooled. Should have had the plastic on it in the crate, but mine did not, unfortunately. Only cosmetic, so if that saves me $1,000 over the local guys, so be it.

If anyone decides to go this route, you need to check every single nut, bolt and fluid level before running it the first time. I couldn't wait to mow with it, so I just greased everything, checked the oil and hydro levels, and went at it. After accumulating about 4 hours on it, it suddenly began to shake and make noise - I immediately killed the blades. Good thing, because the bolt had backed off one of them! No damage since I reacted fast. Another issue I had was a loose right-side hydro control, which made steering back to the barn real fun. Lastly, the round plastic ball on the throttle kept falling off. I think I glued it back on with super glue - can't remember. Either way, this all could have been prevented with a once-over after uncrating.

Other than these minor issues, the thing has been GREAT!! Miles ahead of the homeowner John Deere lawn tractors I've owned (L100, then an upgrade to a G110 ... which blew a head gasket on it's Kohler at 160 hours!) in every way! Does a beautiful job on the lawn. This unit is the first one in my 12 years of owning this place that I haven't bagged, and you can't even tell! It just blasts the clippings out with such force, that they all disperse! AMAZING. The belt is 3/4" thick too, to spin those things with authority. Compared to a homeowner unit, this thing is an absolute ANIMAL. A tank with blades. :laughing:

The only gripe I have with the unit is due to the EPA. This thing isn't as easy to start as my older machines were, thanks to the ridiculous emissions requirements. I don't even want to get started on that B/S, or this will turn into a rant .... but ...anyway ...

Full choke is SUPER rich, but, the pilot circuit is mega LEAN for emissions ... so there's a fine line between choke and throttle opening to get the right balance. No such issues with the old adjustable carbs from the good ol' days, or even with my newer John Deere models that were all built this century. I'll probably work my magic with the carburetor at some point - no reason any engine should be difficult to start. If they don't start in 2 seconds of cranking, then it needs fixing, which it shall get. :wink:

VERY happy with the deal I got, and the bang-for-the-buck value this thing delivers. I had been waiting for an affordable z-turn that could mow at 10mph, and when I found the M-ZT my dreams came true! Husqvarna hit it outta the park with this one. :thumbsup:

I slapped some cheesy "lee-press-on" plastic mags, sort of as a joke. At some point I'll throw them away and have the OEM wheels powder coated. Z-turns all should have chrome mag wheels, IMHO. :laughing:

Attachments

T

troverman

I've noticed the starting issue on mine as well. Never a problem once its warmed up; only on cold start. I'm not sure if its emissions as much as poor carb / choke tuning. My understanding was that the EPA standard for these small engines hasn't been revised since 2006 (could be wrong). I have an 2008 ExMark with a similar Kawi v-twin which starts pretty effortlessly. Now I'm just wondering if mine will start up after sitting in (very) cold storage since the end of last October. The battery didn't look too impressive.

Smithsonite

Smithsonite

It's hit or miss these days. Sometimes you get one that ends up being perfect, as it sounds like your Exmark is. 98% of them that leave the factory are on the ragged edge of engine-melting lean. Whenever you have a starting issue these days on a new machine, it's due to lack of fuel - every time. Just a 1/4 turn or less (sometimes more) of the fuel screw (after you pry out the brass plug) is typically all they need. You'll be amazed how the engine responds to just a little more fuel. Engine will run a little cooler (although you wouldn't notice without monitoring it with a infared thermometer), start MUCH easier, and last longer.

Been doing that on motorcycles, and everything smaller for years. People bring me bikes that take FOREVER to warm up, hiccuping and bogging whenever you try and give it too much throttle. Just a little tweak of the screw and it's like a new machine. Lawn equipment is no different, although it's less noticeable since the throttle is normally in a fixed position most of the time.

It's worse here where I live, due to the ethanol they dilute our fuel with. Most people don't realize, even though the pump SAYS 10% ethanol, it can vary widely between 10% all the way up and over 20%!! An already lean tuned engine will just about melt, and be REAL tough to start at 20% content. BAD bad bad .... I could rant about this all day, but I'll stop now before I get my blood pressure up ...yet another way our government legislates stress into our lives. :mad:

T

troverman

Yeah, I hear you. Carb tuning is an art, and its becoming a lost art. I spent hours getting my old '99 Polaris snowmobile carbs "right" at the start of this last season (Although running well, I still can't make the thing get better than 9mpg!) Fortunately my other sled (and my bike) are EFI, so no issues whatsoever. Ethanol may work OK in cars, but can be a big problem for small engines. I clean the carbs on my old sled yearly, and usually on my snowblower, pressure washer, etc about every 3 years.

Smithsonite

Smithsonite

Yep -very true. I've got a '74 RD350 2-stroke I ride all summer long, with the dual point system and brushed rotor charging system. The only modern addition was a combined rectifier/regulator I installed when I restored it. Everyone cringes when I mention points ... but this thing starts FIRST or SECOND kick EVERY time (I have MANY hours of tuning the pair of carbs to get it perfect ..), and I've put thousands of miles on it without an issue ... except the time one condenser popped out of it's holder, making it run pretty bad above 4,500 RPM. Pulled to the side, and with basic hand tools and a plethora of trash alongside MA roadways, I was able to peel part of a Coke can, wrap the condenser, bolt it back in and be on my way. That was 4 years ago - the Coke can piece is still in there. :laughing: I love simple machines. Wish I could trade my '07 Silverado for a '69 El Camino - I'd do it in a SECOND. At least I can fix the Elky when it breaks. :smile:

I also have a mid 60's 2k watt generator with a nice Briggs engine on it. One of the EASIEST starting engines I own. I swear you could start this thing with a broken arm, one pull. Ahh how I long for the pre-emission days ....

T

troverman

I like old machines you can still fix, but I think what you'd really like is to keep your '07 truck AND get the '69. The problem for me, anyway, is that when the newer stuff is all working great, its actually pretty nice to drive or operate.

D

Dave1954

Well ive got 5 hours on mt MZT52 and it has done good, I developed a terrible rattle but turned out to be the removable pins in the rops bar. I have thought about taking the bar off being I just use it on my lawn and don't have any really scary areas, and none of the home versions even have them. I hit a brick and cut it in half and hit some roots too so I thought I must have ruined the blades so bought the Oregon gators, they seem to work good but they were not as heavy duty as the stocks which to my surprise showed only a very tiny amount of damage, I mean one or two swipes with a file brought them back to like new. So now im trying to learn how not to leave tire marks. if the yard is damp its very hard not to.

T

tom-ky

35 hours on mine. Failed to start once, would not even crank over, ended up having to jumper out the solenoid so I could get it loaded and get home. Never failed since then, go figure. I did notice the back side of my deck belt looked a little roughed up, found the idler pulley sitting at an angle due to a loose bolt. Hopefully it has not hurt the belt very bad. I still think my cut is not too great, got to run really slow to get a good smooth cut, dandelions it knocks over if not going slow.

S

Shughes717

35 hours on mine. Failed to start once, would not even crank over, ended up having to jumper out the solenoid so I could get it loaded and get home. Never failed since then, go figure. I did notice the back side of my deck belt looked a little roughed up, found the idler pulley sitting at an angle due to a loose bolt. Hopefully it has not hurt the belt very bad. I still think my cut is not too great, got to run really slow to get a good smooth cut, dandelions it knocks over if not going slow.

Dandelions are not easy to mow. The stalk lays over too easily. Spraying to kill dandelions and clover in the early spring will save you a lot of grief when mowing. It rained so much here that I didn't get a chance to spray mine and I had 4 acres of solid dandelions. I mowed my lawn lower than I have since I have been at my new home and it did ok (2.25 "). There are still several standing back up, but it looks much better than it did. I hate mowing that low, but I needed to do something. I still may spray my lawn this weekend.

D

Dave1954

Just mowed the yards with the new Oregon g5 gator blades and they cut everything, not a dandy lion left but I did run over some of it twice due to being a little damp, been raining here in Ga, most every day so had to wait till a two day rain free period to get it cut and it was at least 2'' higher than when I cut it. the blades did well better than the factory blades as to cut. ebay had them, 47.00 shipped for 3.

S

Shughes717

Just mowed the yards with the new Oregon g5 gator blades and they cut everything, not a dandy lion left but I did run over some of it twice due to being a little damp, been raining here in Ga, most every day so had to wait till a two day rain free period to get it cut and it was at least 2'' higher than when I cut it. the blades did well better than the factory blades as to cut. ebay had them, 47.00 shipped for 3.

Been raining here in west tennessee 3 or 4 days a week too. I mow my lawn and the dandelions pop back up a couple of days later. I have been looking into g6 blades for my icd deck. Think I'm going to pick some up this weekend if I can find some.

D

Dave1954

Well here is a end of season review on my MZT52, well I thought I liked the gator blades, they did good but in October I noticed the mower had a vibration, it cut fine so I finished the two yards. I thought I might have bent a blade or something so not having more blades except the factory ones which still looked new I put them back on. Well not only was the vibration gone but the mower ran smoother and the cut was as good or nicer than with the gators. I did lean something after I switched blades the first time and that was to run the mower full throttle, in the beginning I wasn't use to a zero and only ran at 3/4 so I think this is why I thought the original blades were not so good. The gators I removed looked fine, but I noticed how much heavier the stock blades were, I think I will stick with the stock blades in the future. I also did a full service, changed the oil, filter and cleaned the air filter boy it was dirty! Im not in the business so it caught it all from mowing two yards twice a month so keep a eye on yours. Everything else has been great on the mower, it seems to have been a good choice.

T

tom-ky

Mowed last week with mine, mowed yard here and house in town. Got home mower would not start, got something to troubleshoot on it. Only got 60 some hours on it, a little disappointing

K

kingb0305

This is an older thread, but thought I would add to it. I just picked up the M-ZT 52 with a Kawasaki FS engine. Like many, I went to all my local shops and looked at all the options available. They included SCAG, Hustler, Ferris, Toro, Kubota, and Gravely. In the end, I went with the Husqvarna because it had better components and specs for the same or better price than the comparable models of the other brands. It is comfortable and seems VERY well built. By the time I made my decision and the dealer had it set up for delivery, my grass had grown in pretty thick and tall. The M-ZT didn't care. Not only did it go through without issue, it spread the clippings surprisingly well. I've only used it a few times, but so far I am extremely happy with my choice.

B

BigNuge

Thought I'd wake this thread up, wondering how all of you M-ZT 52 owners are doing with your machines. I just picked mine up 10 days ago, has 2 cuts on it, and several rides for the kids....??

Just cut yesterday, what a dream to mow with compared to my 14 year old JD L120!! The clock just hit 2.0 hours, and I've loved every minute of it. Oil still looks and smells new (as it should), as does the hydro oil. I blow the machine off with compressed air after every mow, so it still looks like the day I brought it home.

Anyway, how about all you guys that should have 100+ hours....?

K

kingb0305

I have a little over 50 hours on mine now and still believe I made the absolute best decision for my needs. The mower has stood up to anything I throw at it and then some, no issues at all. I don't think I could be happier.

R

RogerMower

Wow wish I could afford one of those. Looks really nice and solid as mentioned.
Thanks!:smile:

RatRacer

RatRacer

Wow wish I could afford one of those. Looks really nice and solid as mentioned.
Thanks!:smile:

Still running well just shy of the 5yr mark. Only issues has been a roofing nail in the front tire, and it wont hold air any longer with a plug, and battery replacement.

M

Mike Oostendorp

I am in the need of a 52 - 60 ZTM and am considering a MTZ. I thought I had decided on a Gravely ZT HD but it seems like there have been several reports lately of shredded belts and a variety of other maladies without many hours on them. After deciding to reopen my shopping I feel like the MTZ's deserve a closer look. I know most people on here probably have MTZ's so there may be a bias, but interested in how everything is still performing with some hours on them. Thanks

BlazNT

BlazNT

I know 5 different companies here in my area that use these mowers with almost no downtime as long as they keep up the maintenance. They love them.

K

kingb0305

I am in the need of a 52 - 60 ZTM and am considering a MTZ. I thought I had decided on a Gravely ZT HD but it seems like there have been several reports lately of shredded belts and a variety of other maladies without many hours on them. After deciding to reopen my shopping I feel like the MTZ's deserve a closer look. I know most people on here probably have MTZ's so there may be a bias, but interested in how everything is still performing with some hours on them. Thanks

Still happy with mine. I did have an issue with the selenoid, it didn't want to turn over, acted as if one of the safety switches (brake, seat, neutral, etc) was engaged. It was a cheap and easy replacement and all has been well since. Build quality is fantastic. Yes, I'm probably biased, but I really do believe it is the best bang for buck zero turn available.

T

TruHacker

I figured it would be best to create my first post while there is a foot of snow out there. I have read through the 16 pages in this thread as well as various others. Sparing all my details and history, let's just say that I am currently in the process of trying to look at a 2016 M-ZT 52 with 400 hours on a B&S. The machine was used as a backup last season according to the seller. It looks to be in great shape but no telling when the pic was taken. 4 sets of blades and a mulching kit included: $3200.

I moved back to the area after decades and worked with an Exmark guy last summer. I aim to secure 8-10 lawns in the upcoming season as well as my double lot.

A dealer told me to expect 1000-1200 hours for a commercial zero turn. What I don't want to do is throw 3 grand down the drain on machine that is a time bomb, be it the B&S or the hydros. The problem: How do I know what to look for? What and how to ask questions about the machine to the seller?

Overall the reviews for M-ZT are outstanding. If I opt out, what would be the best alternative for my 3k budget?

p.s. I see lots of used Exmarks out there for more and with 1500+ hours.